RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dumb language teacher substitute.
Poyoshi Offline
Crappy Yonkoma Master

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Dumb language teacher substitute.

So our science teacher asked our language sub (whose name is the same as our language teacher, just she's older and not awesome at all) to have us write a persuasive paper on evolution. Maybe you can see where this is going.

So, on the first day, (Monday, February 27) she tells us about all the persuasive crap. She uses an example of "a tadpole turning into a frog" as evolution. At this point, I start biting my thumb every time she says something extremely dumb. I would bite hard enough to draw blood, but that would kinda hurt, and I'm a pussy, so I don't. Then, she gives us this stupid thing and tells us to write something down in our planner and have our parents sign it.

SIDE NOTE: Our math teacher recently started saying that writing down in your planner makes you "organized". I mean, really. Being organized means writing down your homework assignment that you're gonna finish in class?

Anyway, I forget to have my parent sign it. So (Tues., Feb. 28) I get silent lunch, where you sit down at a different table than usual and don't talk. Actually, not a very good punishment. At all. And the best part is that she basically forgets about the signature thing after checking for them. Dumb.

She gives us a photocopy of a page in an encyclopedia about evolution. Obviously, this was only part of the article. She said something like "See, I like this article because it gives you another option besides evolution. It does a better job than the science book." (my emphasis)

There's two reasons why I was biting my thumb very hard.
1) It's a fucking science textbook. If it's a science textbook, why would it talk about religion?
2) I bet if there was an article on Christianity, and it said something like "People may disagree with Christianity because they believe in science," she would not like that at all, since she's Christian.

Here's the part where I sound like an arrogant prick. (Actually, I probably sounded like one from the start.) Sorry if I offend anyone.
Anyway, she says that you can back up your argument with quotes from the Bible if you are against evolution. Since, apparently, quotes from an old book are good evidence for persuading someone. I mean, shouldn't it be some facts besides just "well some scientists disagree with evolution"?
Don't get me wrong, I'm fine and dandy with using Bible quotes in a persuasive paper, but I feel it should be less than half of your argument against evolution. Couldn't you have your reasons be "Bible, Scientists disagree, Missing links"? I guess nobody thought of that..

Again, sorry if I offended anyone with that.

Also, today in class, someone tried to say that "evolution is only a theory". Thumb-biting ensued.

OBJECTION!
That was objectionable!
03-01-2012 10:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Desu Offline
Fanatic

Given 340 thank(s) in 182 post(s)
RE: Dumb language teacher substitute.

People still debate about evolution in 2012?

RIP GORE GOROTH

He was an hero. He will always be remembered.
03-01-2012 11:11 AM
Teini Offline
Renegade

Should have hit her with a chair.
03-01-2012 11:37 AM
fish20 Offline
Penguins are birds

Given 32 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Don't worry about offending anyone on SS, no one cares and neither should you.
03-01-2012 11:59 AM
Poyoshi Offline
Crappy Yonkoma Master

(03-01-2012 11:37 AM)Teini Wrote:  Should have hit her with a chair.

Chairs are attached to the desk in this period. Being a pussy, it'd probably be hard to lift a desk and chair with a big literature textbook in it.

OBJECTION!
That was objectionable!
03-01-2012 12:12 PM
Teini Offline
Renegade

(03-01-2012 12:12 PM)Poyoshi Wrote:  
(03-01-2012 11:37 AM)Teini Wrote:  Should have hit her with a chair.

Chairs are attached to the desk in this period. Being a pussy, it'd probably be hard to lift a desk and chair with a big literature textbook in it.
Hit her with the textbook.
03-01-2012 12:14 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)

Quote:So our science teacher asked our language sub (whose name is the same as our language teacher, just she's older and not awesome at all) to have us write a persuasive paper on evolution.

That's the problem right there. The assignment should be to write an expository essay on evolution. There's nothing to argue for or against since the matter is completely settled.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2012 12:30 PM by TheCancer.)
03-01-2012 12:27 PM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

(03-01-2012 11:11 AM)Desu Wrote:  People still debate about evolution in 2012?

Welcome to god damn planet fucking earth.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
03-01-2012 01:11 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

I wouldn't have hesitated to correct her when she said that a tadpole evolves into a frog.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
04-24-2012 02:19 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)

lol, the theory of evolution, its 100% fact, even the pope himself acknowledged it.
04-24-2012 03:09 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

pope doesn't matter either way.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
04-24-2012 03:16 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Substitute teacher teaching us wrong subject... James Comey 11 6,719 03-26-2017 02:34 PM
Last Post: James Comey
  My teacher's think they are tough (STRONG LANGUAGE) SchoolIsPrison333 8 4,861 04-25-2016 01:53 PM
Last Post: TheCancer
  5 Dumb Things I Used to Think About School - A Teacher Turns on the Value of... SoulRiser 3 3,110 09-15-2015 09:06 AM
Last Post: Cianna200
  Substitute teacher meltdowns... James Comey 5 3,708 08-06-2013 04:46 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  Holy shit, Math substitute teacher bulgarianlion 16 9,014 03-21-2012 10:28 AM
Last Post: Campion
  Substitute teacher RaiserZero 3 2,405 02-02-2012 08:11 AM
Last Post: proud-scene-kid
  So we have a substitute in band class... Milk2Go 15 3,631 02-07-2008 03:30 PM
Last Post: himank
  Bitch Substitute arthasmenethil 18 4,341 10-18-2007 07:38 AM
Last Post: Darthmat
  Substitute teacher teaching us wrong subject... 0 1,040 Today 04:22 AM