RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I want to leave highschool to get my GED.
Ganjanaut Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
I want to leave highschool to get my GED.

I already have my life laid out in front of me, and school is in my way. I'm a really smart person and make decent grades, but school is just really stressful and high school has done more bad for me then good (long story but it's true). I am going to become a music producer, and If I can get my GED I can go ahead and get a headstart on my career. I want to go to college to get a degree in Audio Engineering next fall, but I won't be able to do that unless I get my GED now. I'm really confident in my goals and again I'm a really smart person. Without the stress and wasted time of forced education, I can maintain a job, and start selling beats online to help me through college(and that would also get my name around as a producer). The thing that stands in my way is my dad. I am currently living with him, and he has such high expectations of me, thinking that if I was to drop out my life would be "ruined" Noo . But really, I believe it's for the better. Leaving school which forces knowledge not relevant to my interests in order to go to college and attend classes that are relevant to my interests that also help my career? Get out of my highschool's stressful and violent environment? psh Why not? Scratchchin any ideas on how to convince my dad to give me his consent for me to drop out and get enrolled in the GED program would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Oh and i forgot to introduce myself! I'm DJ, and as you can see, I'm new to these forums. Hope I posted in the right section.
11-27-2010 05:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Given 23 thank(s) in 19 post(s)
Re: I want to leave highschool to get my GED.

Couple questions.

Which state are you living in? This is handy for checking the laws.

How long do you have left in school? If you've got only like a year or so left, I'd advising just bearing it. School does suck up time you could better spend working on what you love, but it takes a while to shake off the stigma of not having a HS diploma. Two years or more, by getting your GED and good college entrance exam scores, at worst you can get into a community college, keep good grades, then transfer to a better school. At best you can get into a good school right off the bat. Be advised, though. If you don't have a HS diploma, getting financial aid is a good bit tougher.

Remember that the truly important thing is to keep learning, regardless of the situation you're in.

K
S
11-27-2010 05:29 PM
Ganjanaut Offline
Defiant

HALCYON DREAMS Wrote:Couple questions.

Which state are you living in? This is handy for checking the laws.

How long do you have left in school? If you've got only like a year or so left, I'd advising just bearing it. School does suck up time you could better spend working on what you love, but it takes a while to shake off the stigma of not having a HS diploma. Two years or more, by getting your GED and good college entrance exam scores, at worst you can get into a community college, keep good grades, then transfer to a better school. At best you can get into a good school right off the bat. Be advised, though. If you don't have a HS diploma, getting financial aid is a good bit tougher.

Remember that the truly important thing is to keep learning, regardless of the situation you're in.
I live in Texas, and my class graduates in 2012. One of the main reasons I want to drop out is because my highschool is a really stressful environment, and lately i've been getting into trouble here and there and slipping and was put on probation. I just got off probation early for good behavior though, and even My P.O. reccomended to me that I get my GED, before I was even thinking into it. I have been depressed about alot of stuff lately and i think getting away from all this and being able to make my own decisions, and pursuing my career will really help me.
11-27-2010 05:48 PM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

http://www.my-ged.com/ged-testing-progr ... fault.aspx

You appear to be pretty much fucked. Sorry, man. >.<

K
S
11-27-2010 06:59 PM
Jesusaurisrex Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

not fucked, just... have one of many doors to your future locked

my advice? make highschool your bitch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmXMA34CeoQ
11-27-2010 07:18 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

There's also online schooling. You'll still have to do all the same schoolwork stuff, but you could in theory get it over with faster, and you'll be out of the stressful environment as well. Might be worth looking into.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
11-27-2010 11:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ganjanaut Offline
Defiant

HALCYON DREAMS Wrote:http://www(dot)my-ged(dot)com/ged-testing-programs/texas/default.aspx

You appear to be pretty much fucked. Sorry, man. >.<
How am i fucked? I mean, since i'm 17 I will have to enroll in a GED preperation program before i take it, but I can still get it.
11-29-2010 06:49 AM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Ah, nvm. I thought 2012 = sophomore = 16.

K
S
11-29-2010 12:38 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  to fresh highschool graduate niggaligs that received a VECTOR letter AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA 5 4,289 06-11-2017 01:30 PM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Should I Try to Start Highschool Early? A Wild T-34 33 16,293 06-11-2017 07:59 AM
Last Post: the Analogist
  Highschool Sucks Video pankakemarine236 6 3,332 08-28-2016 05:38 PM
Last Post: James Comey
  highschool websites that constantly email parents your grades chained to desk 16 6,681 02-02-2014 11:16 AM
Last Post: TheCancer
  Highschool Students and Asylum Patients Falsalm 4 3,462 01-22-2014 03:22 PM
  Thoughts about my Highschool so far. Chanku 24 10,940 01-18-2014 04:09 PM
  officially a highschool drop out Night 16 8,176 09-08-2013 07:37 AM
Last Post: Christian Hellhound
  I was offered a job.. at my highschool. nostaw 19 4,736 06-14-2010 01:16 AM
Last Post: AWOL
  [AUSTRALIANS] Can I still get into Uni without highschool? Efs 2 1,835 03-31-2010 10:06 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  Highschool paulhudd 15 3,284 08-17-2009 01:58 AM
Last Post: Thought Criminal