RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FBI Secures Warrant To Kill Internet Access To 4 Million Users
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)
FBI Secures Warrant To Kill Internet Access To 4 Million Users

Quote:The FBI plans to kill internet access to 4 millions users to eradicate DNS spoofing software, similar to the kind Anonymous threatens to use to shutdown the entire Internet.

In an unprecedented move to combat online hackers, the FBI has obtained a warrant from U.S. courts authorizing them to cut off internet access to 4 million online users on March 8th. The warrant gives the FBI to throw the Internet kill switch as part of efforts to eradicate the Internet of software that changes DNS traffic, a common protocol used to find address of websites and other servers on the Internet.

A report from The Blaze states” Krebs on Security reports that the malware — DNSChanger Trojan — has infected more than 4 million computers in more than 100 countries thanks to the work of six men who were arrested in Estonia for the crime in Nov. 2011. Gizmodo reports that the virus causes the user to be sent to fraudulent websites by changing DNS settings and even prevents them from visiting security sites that could help rid them of the virus.”

In possibly related news, the Hacker Group Anonymous has threatened to use similar software to shutdown the entire Internet on March 31st, nearly 3 weeks after the FBI plans to throw their own kill switch to eliminate the DNS spoofing software from the Internet.

In an unprecedented move, the FBI may cut off Internet access to millions of people on March 8th to try to rid the country of a Trojan. Millions of computers are infected worldwide—maybe even yours.

The DNSChanger Trojan originated in Estonia and might be lurking undetected on as many as a half-million computers in the United States, according to Brian Krebs. It has been found on the computers at half of all Fortune 500 companies and at 27 government agencies. The Trojan changes an infected computer’s DNS settings to send users to fraudulent websites. What’s more, the worm is particularly malicious in that it also prevents you from visiting security websites that might diagnose or fix the problem. While the men authorities suspect are behind the Trojan have been arrested, the Feds, working in concert with the Estonian government, have yet to put the final kill on the worm’s botnet.

That’s where the Internet shutdown comes in. The FBI has a court order allowing it to set up temporary replacement DNS servers so that those with infected computers or networks can get the worm off of their systems. The court order, however, expires on March 8th. Unless that order gets extended, anybody who hasn’t cleaned up their act before it expires, might get cut off from the Internet altogether.

http://blog.alexanderhiggins.com/2012/02...ers-84011/

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
02-17-2012 12:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)
RE: FBI Secures Warrant To Kill Internet Access To 4 Million Users

Mfw everyone is a noob. Jesus christ, this is their solution? Has to be ulterior motives, that's not even fucking reasonable. Like, at all. That's the dumbest fucking plan I think I've ever fucking heard lol.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
02-17-2012 12:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

(02-17-2012 12:37 PM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  Mfw everyone is a noob. Jesus christ, this is their solution? Has to be ulterior motives, that's not even fucking reasonable. Like, at all. That's the dumbest fucking plan I think I've ever fucking heard lol.

It really is. People can't just wipe their harddrives? The FBI as to use an internet kill switch. Oh and this just shows that if the government wanted to they could cause an internet "blackout".

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
02-17-2012 12:40 PM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

Stock your linux e-twinkies folks. Internet nuclear apocalypes is about to begin.

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
02-17-2012 12:40 PM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

The Mayans indeed meant 2012 was the end of the universe...

If anonymous does anything they need to fuck with the FBI and such ONLY not shut down the entire internet...fucking anonymous "herp derp yeah shutting down PSN for a month is going to..." to what? I was going to put something witty and clever BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE FUCK THEY THOUGHT THEY WOULD ACCOMPLISH.

No, this is Patrick.
02-17-2012 01:34 PM
Fanatic

(02-17-2012 01:34 PM)StadiumArcadium Wrote:  The Mayans indeed meant 2012 was the end of the universe...

If anonymous does anything they need to fuck with the FBI and such ONLY not shut down the entire internet...fucking anonymous "herp derp yeah shutting down PSN for a month is going to..." to what? I was going to put something witty and clever BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE FUCK THEY THOUGHT THEY WOULD ACCOMPLISH.

One thing to remember is "anonymous" is not truly a tangible "they". It is just random ass people abusing anonymity. Sometimes for good, sometimes for lulz. Either way it isn't impressive to me.

Live until you die
02-17-2012 06:13 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

lol

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
02-18-2012 12:24 AM
Luizao876 Offline
Everyone's favorite Huezillian

Given 22 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

So, the FBI wants to destroy internet acess to its citizens and even other countries that should not be on their juridictions, but they do it for the "greater good of all".

No big deal.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2012 01:51 AM by Luizao876.)
02-18-2012 01:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

^ No big deal? They now have the ability to shut down massive portions of the Internet, if not all of it, as long as they get a court order. Think Arab spring... If their governments had the ability to completely shut-down the Internet, do you really think they would have been as successful? (Yes, some of them tried, but few of them were actually any good at it.)

Blog I post to now:

02-18-2012 05:48 AM
Fanatic

(02-18-2012 05:48 AM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  ^ No big deal? They now have the ability to shut down massive portions of the Internet, if not all of it, as long as they get a court order. Think Arab spring... If their governments had the ability to completely shut-down the Internet, do you really think they would have been as successful? (Yes, some of them tried, but few of them were actually any good at it.)

I think I detected sarcasm in luiz's post. lol

Live until you die
02-18-2012 05:59 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

I can never tell with him lol... Like that thread a few days/hours ago or whatever.

Blog I post to now:

02-18-2012 06:00 AM
Luizao876 Offline
Everyone's favorite Huezillian

Given 22 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

I was talking about how it was not a big deal to the FBI that they don't know how to solve problems without causing other problems
02-18-2012 06:21 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Sounds like a good way to limit alternate media for when they do crazy shit so people can be unaware.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
02-18-2012 07:39 AM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

We could all be on the list :O

No, this is Patrick.
02-18-2012 08:10 AM
iexist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Its not like they couldn't do it, but the gov has shown itself to incapable of doing anything with the internet.
02-19-2012 08:58 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

How exactly is this supposed to solve anything at all, or benefit anyone at all? Confused

I mean srsly, take your damn computer to a repair shop, or format it or something. WTF does this even have to do with the FBI at all? Suspicious

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-19-2012 10:20 AM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

(02-19-2012 10:20 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  How exactly is this supposed to solve anything at all, or benefit anyone at all? Confused

I mean srsly, take your damn computer to a repair shop, or format it or something. WTF does this even have to do with the FBI at all? Suspicious
You know...terrorists and child rapists...n shit.

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
02-19-2012 11:58 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  ATK Secures .40 Caliber Ammunition Contract with Department of Homeland Security, U.S HeartofShadows 0 1,589 03-24-2012 03:23 AM
Last Post: HeartofShadows
  Aaron Swartz charged with stealing 4.8 million documents LOON_ATTIC 0 1,422 08-03-2011 11:35 AM
Last Post: LOON_ATTIC
  White House proposal ease FBI access to records of Internet HeartofShadows 1 1,524 07-31-2010 06:53 AM
Last Post: Absnt
  Internet Kill Switch Proposed For President. HeartofShadows 16 3,515 06-20-2010 05:57 PM
Last Post: AWOL
  Bill Clinton secures release of journalists in NK John Tuttle 4 2,011 08-11-2009 05:17 PM
Last Post: whistlingwings
  Sudanese President has a warrant for his arrest Freak 33 12,936 03-11-2009 04:41 AM
Last Post: Rebelnerd
  Chemist raided, no warrant, no crime Sunbourn 1 1,479 08-31-2008 10:20 AM
Last Post: i-am-the-liquor