RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Truth About Teaching (Book)
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)
Information The Truth About Teaching (Book)

Click here for info on the book

Skimmed through it in the library. The book actually did make some valid points on how the student/teacher relationship should pan out, boring teachers, and on not giving homework and stuff, but Chapter 5 (Titled "Discipline") in particular was so interesting that I actually borrowed the entire book because of it.

Some excerpts:

Chapter 1 Wrote:In your heart, you already know this. You wouldn't be a teacher if you didn't understand on some level that you've been handpicked by the universe

I giggled.

Chapter 1 Wrote:....to carry out the most sacred trust on earth-- preparing the next generation to take its rightful place in the world and giving them the skills they'll need to run it successfully.

Chapter 5 Wrote:Every child would secretly rather be a success than a failure.

It's a trait inborn in every human. Given a choice, every child would prefer to graduate from Harvard than hang out on a street corner. So why doesn't he? He doesn't believe its possible.

It's your job to help him find his way. No, not to graduate from Harvard-in the majority of cases that's unrealistic- but maybe to earn an authentic high school diploma (Rather than a GED), which in many American families is still a very, very big deal. But you're unlikely to accomplish that by being a Drill Sargent. There are two ways to govern: By fear, anger, and intimidation or by kindness, concern or encouragement. The first works...sort of, but it also sows the seeds of rebellion. The second allows the student to make his or her own choices, but also to save face when they make inappropriate ones.

Every hard-core discipline case I ever encountered became one, I believe, because someone somewhere had convinced them (or he'd convinced himself) that academic achievement was not an option. Becoming the worst kid in school carried far more status than being a nobody... But you have the power to pull someone back from that brink.

Quote:Nearly all of your disciplinary problems will be due to one or two things: Anger or boredom

Everyone thinks troublesome kids are just plain mean. Not so.

Anger- How would you feel about having to report every morning for several years to a place you hate? Wasting your time in a nonpaying job which basically amounts to indentured servitude? Being lorded by a bunch of knuckle heads who will not only fill your brain with useless information, but also delight in writing out detention slips to make you stay late- and then, even worse, tell you what you can't wear and make you feel slow and powerless in the process.

I certainly disagreed when my students described school in this way, but I could also understand why they viewed it as a prison.

What they didn't realize was that their rage was the real prison. Some kids were so entrapped in so many layers of rage that they weren't even aware of how it all started. Talking about this in class helped a great deal.

Boredom- Boredom is the absolute kiss of death. So check not only your lesson plans, but also your delivery. If you're saddled with dull, unimaginative material and prone to long winded monotones, then you're literally torturing your students.

Quote:Kids and Adults are not equals- but society has taught them that we are.

One of the most annoying traits among today teenagers is that they truly believe they should have the same rights and privileges as we do: Smoking, drinking, driving, keeping odd hours, consuming goods and services, leaving class, or skipping school whenever they feel like it. All without paying property taxes, utility bills, or assuming any responsibility whatsoever for keeping a household (or community) running.

Quote:The biggest problem in school isn't what you think it is
It isn't discipline, it's apathy. Sometimes apathy is evident in a high truancy rate. Once the courts got involved and began fining parents when their offspring repeatably refused to show up, things got better. But we still have our share of cases where moms drop their kids off dutifully at the school's front door and then drive away, only to have those same kids stroll out the back and head for the nearest fast food joint. You have to feel sorry for such parents; they didn't realize they were raising bums who didn't realize who didn't care if their moms went to jail.

Quote:There comes a time when we all want to hear other people's insights about life. It provides clues regarding our own
But most adolescents aren't there yet. They're still cloaked in the garb of already knowing everything- which masks their stark terror of not knowing anything at all.

Previously known as Derchin.
02-15-2012 12:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)
RE: The Truth About Teaching (Book)

One of the most annoying traits among today teenagers is that they truly believe they should have the same rights and privileges as we do: Smoking, drinking, driving, keeping odd hours, consuming goods and services, leaving class, or skipping school whenever they feel like it. All without paying property taxes, utility bills, or assuming any responsibility whatsoever for keeping a household (or community) running.

I HATE when ageists act like society tries to treat teens and kids as equals. They fucking don't at all. What the fuck is she talking about?

She is an idiot. They are never given any responsibility yet they do deserve to be allowed to do all those things. She needs to get off her silly teacher high horse.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
02-15-2012 12:27 PM
Ghostlyotto Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

(02-15-2012 12:27 PM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  

I HATE when ageists act like society tries to treat teens and kids as equals. They fucking don't at all. What the fuck is she talking about?

She is an idiot. They are never given any responsibility yet they do deserve to be allowed to do all those things. She needs to get off her silly teacher high horse.
Definitely. Teachers always seem to act like they're better then their students. I never understood this. Why does our age seem to automatically determine if we're stupid or not in people's opinions?
02-15-2012 01:54 PM
Dirtbikemike Offline
Balls denser than a White Dwarf

Given 78 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

[quote='Derchin' pid='436730' dateline='1329271929']
[quote]Kids and Adults are not equals- but society has taught them that we are.

One of the most annoying traits among today teenagers is that they truly believe they should have the same rights and privileges as we do: Smoking, drinking, driving, keeping odd hours, consuming goods and services, leaving class, or skipping school whenever they feel like it. All without paying property taxes, utility bills, or assuming any responsibility whatsoever for keeping a household (or community) running. [/quote]

She forgot we have yet to get our fancy piece of paper that qualifies us for a job with enough income to pay for "property taxes, utility bills, or assuming any responsibility whatsoever for keeping a household (or community) running"

Balls of Steel:
Hidden stuff:
(01-13-2012 10:37 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  Mike you deserve an SS medal. Here, be proud:
[Image: BallsofSteel2.png]
Congrats for doing something I never had the balls to do.
If you have kids, save them from the bullshit you are forced to go through.
(01-25-2012 05:36 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  Balls of steel re-awarded. 
(02-07-2012 03:22 PM)flann Wrote:  Balls of Tungsten, now.

I found a picture for tungsten balls
http://bit.ly/xqd1zk

(02-14-2012 03:17 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Your balls are denser than white dwarf star matter.
(03-13-2012 08:27 PM)M3116 Wrote:  Balls of steel re-re-reawarded Nutter

(05-14-2013 03:01 PM)Prince Darkstar Wrote:  Dirtbikemike is the only guy I know of on here who won an argument with a teacher.
02-15-2012 01:58 PM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

I like how she calls dropouts "bums" because they detest going somewhere they don't like.

(This post was last modified: 02-16-2012 06:25 AM by Miller0700.)
02-16-2012 01:45 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)

Kids and adults aren't equal lol be just because they aren't doesn't mean you shouldn't value their opinion
02-16-2012 02:01 AM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

I like how she acknowledges that pretty much everyone in school hates it and thinks it's like a prison.

No, this is Patrick.
02-16-2012 04:51 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

(02-16-2012 04:51 AM)StadiumArcadium Wrote:  I like how she acknowledges that pretty much everyone in school hates it and thinks it's like a prison.

But she disagrees with the people who think that though. She believes the real prision is in your mind.

02-16-2012 05:33 AM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

(02-16-2012 05:33 AM)Derchin Wrote:  
(02-16-2012 04:51 AM)StadiumArcadium Wrote:  I like how she acknowledges that pretty much everyone in school hates it and thinks it's like a prison.

But she disagrees with the people who think that though. She believes the real prision is in your mind.

Exactly why she is a nut lol Your mind can very well make your prison stay much less... prison like. That still does not make the prison any less an actual prison.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2012 05:36 AM by UnschoolShqiponjë.)
02-16-2012 05:35 AM
1312 Offline
It gets better, believe me. :)

Given 44 thank(s) in 30 post(s)

Prison in my mind?
Yeah, she's not right IMO.
02-16-2012 05:43 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

(02-16-2012 05:35 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  That still does not make the prison any less an actual prison.

Confused

02-16-2012 06:11 AM
McGee! Offline
Defender of...

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

(02-16-2012 01:45 AM)Derchin Wrote:  I like how she calls dropouts "bums" because they destest going somewhere they don't like.

Because where would the community be without everyone doing what they are supposed to do, and people never have plans and ambitions by themselves. /facepalm

Sociopath Wrote:
The Desert Fox Wrote:Colbert is awesome.
/threaditude.
Generation Y Cuban blog-English blog
Hidden stuff:
hewhodestroysall Wrote:Honestly I never figured the point of the esrb.
Point is you can't censor reality.
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Abe Fortas, Tinker v. Des Moines (1969) Wrote:In our system, state-operated schools may not be enclaves of totalitarianism. School officials do not possess absolute authority over their students. Students in school as well as out of school are "persons" under our Constitution."
Rebelnerd Wrote:Human rights are being violated by US law enforcement. This is what the media is here for, you're supposed to be the watchdogs! You're supposed to stand up for the downtrodden, not belittle them as though all their problems amount to nothing more than some angry glares toward parents and sabotaging their computers.
I've seen so much shit done to youth and for some reason, this has made me angrier than I've felt in years. Abuse and oppression happens all over the world. It's a terrible reality of modern society, but we've all accepted that it happens and we're doing what we can to fight it and build a better world.
But this...this mindless, condescending disrespect toward people who have no legal voice with which to defend themselves, this reduction of parents' betrayal into a cheap crack about kids being computer-savvy...it's like watching a surgeon joke about life insurance while his patient bleeds to death on the operating table. The media's job is to protect society from oppression and they've drawn a clear line between the people worth protecting and the people that don't matter. How can they people sleep at night?

You're a journalist. DO. YOUR. FUCKING. JOB.

(04-28-2010 08:17 AM)Liquid Wrote:  Laws never seem to help people fight School. Laws only matter if the students are braking them...

(12-03-2011 07:40 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Solution to all these problems: don't fuck people you can't negotiate with in a civilized manner.
(02-09-2012 02:14 PM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  The only solution is democratic self-paced education where students can excel in what they are good at and work on what their not if necessary, AT THEIR OWN DAMN PACE IN THEIR OWN DAMN WAY.

Don't Board the Censor Ship
02-16-2012 06:22 AM
flann Offline
Revolutionary

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Dropouts are bums. I mean, look at Einstein! Can't even comp his hair!

War is stupid.
02-16-2012 12:17 PM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

He was an exception. Not all of us have rich families or has access to libraries, duh. Rolleyes

02-16-2012 12:57 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

This bitch needs to get laid.

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
02-16-2012 07:43 PM