RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Faerie tales for adults"
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)
RE: "Faerie tales for adults"

(02-09-2012 09:06 PM)alexander144 Wrote:  Kids already know that there parents love them though.

And are you implying that there's something else they need to get to know at xmas time? Or that there must be some other motive for giving presents?

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
02-09-2012 09:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Offline
The; Captain Obvious

Given 9 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

I was not affected by learning that Santa wasn't real. Christmas was still just as fun, and also, I don't feel like I was DECEIVED by my parents for telling me there's a magical fat guy. I see no problem with the belief OR the disbelief in Santa clause.

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\
02-09-2012 09:11 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

pfff. agnostics.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-09-2012 09:12 PM
The Offline
The; Captain Obvious

Make an argument or gtfo

02-09-2012 09:13 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

What, because I made a post that didn't really have any relevant content? YOU do that all the time, spammer. GTFO my thread.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-09-2012 09:16 PM
alexander144 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

(02-09-2012 09:11 PM)Prince Rilian Wrote:  
(02-09-2012 09:06 PM)alexander144 Wrote:  Kids already know that there parents love them though.

And are you implying that there's something else they need to get to know at xmas time? Or that there must be some other motive for giving presents?

Why do you want kids (under 8 or before they start thinking more rationally) to be treated like adults so badly? Show me some research that proves believing in Santa is bad. Until then here's a link with pretty much the same view as me: http://lisahwarren.hubpages.com/hub/The-...-Bad-Thing
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2012 09:21 PM by alexander144.)
02-09-2012 09:20 PM
The Offline
The; Captain Obvious

My content is amazing. Yours is horrible. I make people laugh and I make them cry with my sexy posts. Your posts make people break their keyboards.

02-09-2012 09:21 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

(02-09-2012 09:20 PM)alexander144 Wrote:  
(02-09-2012 09:11 PM)Prince Rilian Wrote:  

Why do you want kids (under 8 or before they start thinking more rationally) to be treated like adults so badly?
Why have you latched onto age 8? Why do you want children to be lied to? Why do you want children to be inferior to adults? Why don't you believe in equality? Why don't you respect children?
Quote:Show me some research that proves believing in Santa is bad.
This is fucking stupid. YOU need to prove that LYING is good, if you think it is. The default should be to NOT TELL LIES.
Quote:Until then here's a link with pretty much the same view as me: http://lisahwarren.hubpages.com/hub/The-...-Bad-Thing

Blah blah blah. Playing make-believe by your own choice is not the same thing as believing a LIE that your parents tell you. Parents do not present santa claus as a make-believe game (not generally; if any do, that's fine), they present it as REALITY to their little kids starting before age 1.

that stupid blog you linked Wrote:Most kids understand the different between fantasy and a pattern of deceit.
Yeah, and the way you understand the difference is by the tone and expression used by the person telling the story or lie. And parents use the tone and expressions that indicate reality, rather than fantasy, when telling their children about santa claus. That's why it's a LIE and not just a story. I think it's you who doesn't understand the difference.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-09-2012 09:33 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

I posted that on my fb with this comment
I Wrote:DISLIKE. I don't see a place on this stupid page to post a comment. The problem with this stupid blogpost is that this person doesn't realize that the santa claus lie is presented by parents to children as REALITY, not as a make-believe game. That's what makes it a lie: The intention to deceive.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-09-2012 09:41 PM
The Offline
The; Captain Obvious

Lol, calm down

02-09-2012 09:44 PM
alexander144 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Prince Rilian, you can't seem to differentiate between a little kid and someone that can rationalize properly. You're arguments are fucking moronic because of it. Have you met a little kid lately? There's a reason there isn't a 4 year old president.

Edit: btw, I addressed all your other questions in earlier posts. Stop being mad for a minute and realize Santa isn't some sort of lie made up to deceive kids for no reason. Also, why are you posting it on Facebook and telling me? I don't give a fuck that you're attention whoring on there with you're stupid ass opinion.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2012 11:26 PM by alexander144.)
02-09-2012 11:21 PM
Desu Offline
Fanatic

Given 340 thank(s) in 182 post(s)

ITT: You all mad. Go cry to Santa, maybe he'll have some fucks to give on Christmas Day. LOL

RIP GORE GOROTH

He was an hero. He will always be remembered.
02-10-2012 03:43 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

(02-09-2012 11:21 PM)alexander144 Wrote:  Prince Rilian, you can't seem to differentiate between a little kid and someone that can rationalize properly.
Whether they can "rationalize properly" doesn't matter. That doesn't justify lying to them.
Quote:You're arguments are fucking moronic because of it. Have you met a little kid lately? There's a reason there isn't a 4 year old president.

Edit: btw, I addressed all your other questions in earlier posts. Stop being mad for a minute and realize Santa isn't some sort of lie made up to deceive kids for no reason.
It is a lie. Parents deceive their children with it. Their motivations don't fucking matter.
Quote:Also, why are you posting it on Facebook and telling me? I don't give a fuck that you're attention whoring on there with you're stupid ass opinion.

That I posted it on facebook is irrelevant. Look at the fucking content of my post.

And

How in the fuck does the fact that someone is not able to apply logic make it ok to lie to them?

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-10-2012 03:47 AM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

(02-09-2012 11:21 PM)alexander144 Wrote:  Prince Rilian, you can't seem to differentiate between a little kid and someone that can rationalize properly. You're arguments are fucking moronic because of it. Have you met a little kid lately? There's a reason there isn't a 4 year old president.

Edit: btw, I addressed all your other questions in earlier posts. Stop being mad for a minute and realize Santa isn't some sort of lie made up to deceive kids for no reason. Also, why are you posting it on Facebook and telling me? I don't give a fuck that you're attention whoring on there with you're stupid ass opinion.

You prepare a kid for rationality but being rational with them. End of story. There is no reason to straight up lie to them about things that clearly do not exist.

You guys thinking Santa Clause *makes* Christmas is because you are looking back with nostalgia glasses on. Kids will love Christmas just as much without believing in SOMEONE THAT WATCHES THEM 24/7 TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE GOOD. Another bad reason to teach them about Santa Clause. It is yet another tool adults use for control. Gets them used to being subjugated by authority.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
02-10-2012 04:06 AM
The Offline
The; Captain Obvious

Tell kids if you wanna tell em that there's no Santa, but they're not gonna be harmed in believing him.

02-10-2012 07:15 AM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

(02-10-2012 07:15 AM)The Wrote:  Tell kids if you wanna tell em that there's no Santa, but they're not gonna be harmed in believing him.

Objects come from no where.

Authority figure always watching me to make sure I am good.

My parents lied to me for amusement and/or control.

No harm is not guaranteed. It just makes it much more likely.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
02-10-2012 02:35 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The parking garage is for adults only Milk2Go 2 950 08-17-2008 01:00 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser