RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Can't the Gifted Learn?
NightThoughts Offline
Night changes the way you think.

Given 12 thank(s) in 5 post(s)
Why Can't the Gifted Learn?

I learned to read at age 3 and was reading way ahead in kindergarten. When I was luckily homeschooled, I was the smartest of our three kids and loved learning. Shoved back into public school, I was still way ahead and just got even more so as the years went on. Now that I'm bucking the educrats (education mixed with autocrats), my parents still acknowledge I'm smarter and get straight As in middle-school's equivalent of AP. I won the spelling bee (but no breaks on the mindlessly easy spelling tests), found loads of information on gifted education, wrote an essay on my loathing of school, and even some of my teachers (old and new) acknowledge that I'm a font of knowledge.

So why do I have to take Latin with a bunch of nitwit teenage girls? Why do I need to take classes about architecture and carpentry when my passion is for science? Why is my learning watered down because of the slower people, and why can't I learn how I want to learn?

Nearly every state has some form of legislation on gifted education, Massachusetts and a few others excepted. I want to scream when I hear that we're taking tests on pronouns and volcanoes. How much more can it be repeated?

Does anyone else think that we gifted people (think that I qualify as gifted) are being corrupted by this? Does anyone else have recommendations for keeping my brain active?

I'd put a pithy quote here, but I'd rather speak for myself.

Superpowers aren't just flying and lifting several tons. Whatever you're good at, that's your superpower. Learn to deal with it.
02-09-2012 11:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)
RE: Why Can't the Gifted Learn?

(02-09-2012 11:47 AM)NightThoughts Wrote:  I learned to read at age 3

Me too. Did you learn it by yourself too?

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
02-09-2012 11:54 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)

this is why i hate stupid people
02-09-2012 12:43 PM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

You kind of come off as a self righteous asshole in this post

No, this is Patrick.
02-09-2012 01:48 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

(02-09-2012 12:43 PM)SaintVicious Wrote:  this is why i hate stupid people

It is illogical to blame the stupid classmates. They are being forced to be there just as much as you are.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-09-2012 01:54 PM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

(02-09-2012 01:54 PM)Prince Rilian Wrote:  

It is illogical to blame the stupid classmates. They are being forced to be there just as much as you are.

Except they wouldn't shut the fuck up, fine if you have a question ask it but otherwise shut the fuck up so we can get this shit over with.
Stupid people talk loudly and too much.
02-09-2012 01:56 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

Actually this is a very legitimate concern. Those lucky enough to have natural academic talents are stifled in a lot of schools around the world. (And even the schools that have A.P programs, and shit like that end up having shitty A.P programs because non-A.P kids get in and slow shit down. And teachers aren't qualified. Along with a host of other problems.) Eh, this wouldn't be a problem in democratic self-paced learning. It's the educational mind-set that is fucking shit up.

It's the same thing with slower-paced kids. Putting them in a classroom with faster kids makes them feel like shit. They feel like they aren't smart enough, which in turn makes them try even less. It's not a fucking motivator, it makes kids depressed. (For no apparent reason, really.) Separating kids into groups NEVER works. Everyone knows who the fast paced kids are and who the kids in the "slower" classes are. It's impossible to hide it. It's a bad situation all around. (Also, while obviously being smarter is preferable, we mustn't feel superior because of it. Nobody chose their intelligence.)

The only solution is democratic self-paced education where students can excel in what they are good at and work on what their not if necessary, AT THEIR OWN DAMN PACE IN THEIR OWN DAMN WAY.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
02-09-2012 02:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

(02-09-2012 01:56 PM)SaintVicious Wrote:  
(02-09-2012 01:54 PM)Prince Rilian Wrote:  

Except they wouldn't shut the fuck up, fine if you have a question ask it but otherwise shut the fuck up so we can get this shit over with.
Stupid people talk loudly and too much.

It's still not their fault. They should be set free so they can talk or do whatever they want. You should be set free and study, if that's what you want to do.

There is no getting it over with. It lasts 7 hours a day no matter what.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-09-2012 02:15 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

(02-09-2012 02:14 PM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  Actually this is a very legitimate concern. Those lucky enough to have natural academic talents are stifled in a lot of schools around the world. (And even the schools that have A.P programs, and shit like that end up having shitty A.P programs because non-A.P kids get in and slow shit down. And teachers aren't qualified. Along with a host of other problems.) Eh, this wouldn't be a problem in democratic self-paced learning. It's the educational mind-set that is fucking shit up.

It's the same thing with slower-paced kids. Putting them in a classroom with faster kids makes them feel like shit. They feel like they aren't smart enough, which in turn makes them try even less. It's not a fucking motivator, it makes kids depressed. (For no apparent reason, really.) Separating kids into groups NEVER works. Everyone knows who the fast paced kids are and who the kids in the "slower" classes are. It's impossible to hide it. It's a bad situation all around. (Also, while obviously being smarter is preferable, we mustn't feel superior because of it. Nobody chose their intelligence.)

The only solution is democratic self-paced education where students can excel in what they are good at and work on what their not if necessary, AT THEIR OWN DAMN PACE IN THEIR OWN DAMN WAY.

I was kind of mad about this stuff when I was 10-12 years old, but now I realize that there's nothing they can do in a school to make it a good learning experience. As long as you believe that school is *the* place for learning, you're going to be stifled.

It would be better if kids would just view school as the bullshit waste of time that it is, not let it affect them, and then put the rest of their time to good use. But there's a couple of problems that get in the way. One is that kids are taught that school is not just a bullshit waste of time, but is an essential learning experience and is also pretty much your only chance to learn... so most kids come to hate even the idea of learning because school is terrible and school == learning (or so they're told) so therefore learning is terrible. Another problem is that even if you are a smart and motivated kid who can't initially be held down by that school shit, when you try to get your parents to help you access learning opportunities, they just say they don't want to waste their time and money and energy on that because that is what school is for. I had this problem in elementary school. Then I gave up and become a mindless drone until I finally quit school at age 16.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-09-2012 02:22 PM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

The public school system is made to make everyone think the same way. Reading at a young age doesn't really mean you're gifted. I just means you can read. Its not even that hard but half the kids in 5th grade can't read fluently because public education is shit. Homeschooled kids usually read far better. My parents taught me to read Dr. Seuss stuff at age four within a few hours. I took a reading test 1st grade and I got ZOMG 3rd grade level. Not because I was a super genius, but because I learned somewhere that wasn't a shitty public school.

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
02-09-2012 03:43 PM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

(02-09-2012 02:14 PM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  Actually this is a very legitimate concern. Those lucky enough to have natural academic talents are stifled in a lot of schools around the world. (And even the schools that have A.P programs, and shit like that end up having shitty A.P programs because non-A.P kids get in and slow shit down. And teachers aren't qualified. Along with a host of other problems.) Eh, this wouldn't be a problem in democratic self-paced learning. It's the educational mind-set that is fucking shit up.

Absent, star poster of this thread.

02-09-2012 03:45 PM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

No one else finds the whole "I'm so smart everyone else is an idiot I'm better than everyone around me" thing kind of...?

No, this is Patrick.
02-09-2012 03:47 PM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

(02-09-2012 03:47 PM)StadiumArcadium Wrote:  No one else finds the whole "I'm so smart everyone else is an idiot I'm better than everyone around me" thing kind of...?

I think it usually happens to kids who start out learning somewhere other than public school.

02-09-2012 03:49 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

I do not think I'm smart for knowing how to read or whatever. I just think I'm lucky. Even if someone is smart, they still need a burst of inspiration to get a new idea.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-09-2012 03:59 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

^ That's the other thing. Perhaps the kids who were taught early on to read, and to do basic addition and shit are the ones who excel early on. If they excel early on, they continue to excel because they feel good about themselves and think they are smart so work hard to be smart.

Those that don't know shit when they first go in end up feeling stupid, which perpetuates itself and they give up assuming they have no "natural talent". I don't thin kit's debatable that some kids have more academic talent than others, but this scenario probably plays out more than we realise.

Blog I post to now:

02-09-2012 04:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

(02-09-2012 04:02 PM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  ^ That's the other thing. Perhaps the kids who were taught early on to read, and to do basic addition and shit are the ones who excel early on. If they excel early on, they continue to excel because they feel good about themselves and think they are smart so work hard to be smart.

Those that don't know shit when they first go in end up feeling stupid, which perpetuates itself and they give up assuming they have no "natural talent". I don't thin kit's debatable that some kids have more academic talent than others, but this scenario probably plays out more than we realise.

Not really my experience, I just think moving to public school redardified my learning. I was considered super advanced too until I went to public school, then I was just average.

02-09-2012 04:09 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

My parents didn't teach me anything. But I still think I was just lucky to get a burst of inspiration to see how writing worked. I remember the first word I read. My dad was reading me a story and I was trying to follow along, and then he said the word "can" and I saw this word that seemed to be at about the right place, and it had three letters in it, and the word "can" has three sounds ... so I stopped him and asked if that was the word "can" and he said yes. That was when I was 3 years old, and then by the time I was 5, I was able to read everything.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-09-2012 04:13 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Interestings... I literally don't remember any of my early childhood, but meh.

Blog I post to now:

02-09-2012 04:14 PM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Excelling at school does not equal smartness. I learned how to read early and read books bigger than anyone I know. It doesn't mean I'm smarter than them. It kind of pisses me off whenever people brag about themselves because the vast majority of the time it's just their ego.

No, this is Patrick.
02-09-2012 04:19 PM
NightThoughts Offline

I commend you people (StadiumArcadium for example) who kind of reigned me in there. Yeah, sorry, I was just really frustrated when I wrote that post. I apologize for coming off that way. I guess I can't blame the less intelligent. It's really just the parents who signed the forms and stuck them in the harder classes. Yes, I did learn by myself, my mom wasn't actually trying to teach me but instead entertain me by reading and I got lucky by looking at the words. Or some such nonsense. Sometimes I wonder...does it indicate intelligence at all to excel in this awful education system?

Superpowers aren't just flying and lifting several tons. Whatever you're good at, that's your superpower. Learn to deal with it.
02-10-2012 05:24 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Usually if I mention that I learned to read when I was 3-5 and that I did it on my own, it's because some 'tard is saying that you have to go to school to learn to read.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-10-2012 05:26 AM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

(02-10-2012 05:24 AM)NightThoughts Wrote:  I commend you people (StadiumArcadium for example) who kind of reigned me in there. Yeah, sorry, I was just really frustrated when I wrote that post. I apologize for coming off that way. I guess I can't blame the less intelligent. It's really just the parents who signed the forms and stuck them in the harder classes. Yes, I did learn by myself, my mom wasn't actually trying to teach me but instead entertain me by reading and I got lucky by looking at the words. Or some such nonsense. Sometimes I wonder...does it indicate intelligence at all to excel in this awful education system?

No, it doesn't. Up until middle school I was a perfect straight A student then around 7th grade I realized how fucking stupid it all was and just quit trying.
And I'm not saying you're dumb or anything, it just annoys me when people brag about themselves. Even if you're good at reading/whatever, I'm sure a lot of the people in your classes are better than you at a lot of other things. There is no smarter, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses...what is smartness, anyway? Your reading level? Anyone can improve that with practice.

No, this is Patrick.
02-10-2012 05:27 AM
NightThoughts Offline

Very true words. Among those other things I know is listening to others...which I would do well to heed. Thanks for your words of wisdom!

02-10-2012 08:24 AM
1312 Offline
It gets better, believe me. :)

Given 44 thank(s) in 30 post(s)

I actually used to think that I'm smart, because I got all best grades.
But in 7th grade I realized that it's all a big piece of shit and won't benefit me at all in future and that society is one big fucked up thing and it's view of education and intelligence is messed up.
I think intelligent human being is whoever understands what this society, government and people are all about and knows better than most people about what's going on in the world.

So now I'm a proud intelligent loner.Pirate

That's my opinion of myself, everyone else can just fuck off, because they don't think like me, they think like society. (Irony..?)
02-10-2012 08:59 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

(02-10-2012 05:27 AM)StadiumArcadium Wrote:  Your reading level? Anyone can improve that with practice.

Except idiots don't because they are 2kool4skool
02-10-2012 09:04 AM
1312 Offline
It gets better, believe me. :)

Given 44 thank(s) in 30 post(s)

(02-10-2012 09:04 AM)SaintVicious Wrote:  
(02-10-2012 05:27 AM)StadiumArcadium Wrote:  Your reading level? Anyone can improve that with practice.

Except idiots don't because they are 2kool4skool

Hmm, there are too many idiots in my class...

LEVEL OF IDIOTS IS TOO DAMN HIGH!

Must kill. Pirate
02-10-2012 09:05 AM
NightThoughts Offline

[/quote]

Hmm, there are too many idiots in my class...

LEVEL OF IDIOTS IS TOO DAMN HIGH!

Must kill. Pirate
[/quote]

I second that opinion.

02-10-2012 09:08 AM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Given 63 thank(s) in 46 post(s)

(02-10-2012 05:27 AM)StadiumArcadium Wrote:  
(02-10-2012 05:24 AM)NightThoughts Wrote:  I commend you people (StadiumArcadium for example) who kind of reigned me in there. Yeah, sorry, I was just really frustrated when I wrote that post. I apologize for coming off that way. I guess I can't blame the less intelligent. It's really just the parents who signed the forms and stuck them in the harder classes. Yes, I did learn by myself, my mom wasn't actually trying to teach me but instead entertain me by reading and I got lucky by looking at the words. Or some such nonsense. Sometimes I wonder...does it indicate intelligence at all to excel in this awful education system?

No, it doesn't. Up until middle school I was a perfect straight A student then around 7th grade I realized how fucking stupid it all was and just quit trying.
And I'm not saying you're dumb or anything, it just annoys me when people brag about themselves. Even if you're good at reading/whatever, I'm sure a lot of the people in your classes are better than you at a lot of other things. There is no smarter, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses...what is smartness, anyway? Your reading level? Anyone can improve that with practice.
Many of us ARE smarter than the average person academically. Smart-ness is a reflection of how much you know, and it is pretty straightforward who is smarter than who academically, at least in as limited of a spectrum as school subjects go.
I think you are confusing smartness with intelligence.

The purpose of life is a life with a purpose
So I’d rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless
I don’t need the circus or the day of national observance
I need you to think for you and stop being a servant
-Immortal Technique, The Martyr, The Martyr
02-15-2012 07:34 AM
NightThoughts Offline

That is possibly true, IamNoone.

02-15-2012 09:01 AM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Regular classes or AP, shit don't matter. The supposed "AP" kids at my school talk about the same stupid shit everyone else does. "ZOMG, did U watch jersey shore????" Good grades don't make you smarter as a person.

02-15-2012 03:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  “If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn.” Miller0700 18 7,334 03-20-2016 09:20 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  Gifted Programs Just A Minor Threat 34 13,667 08-11-2013 04:10 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  "Gifted Education" Shadow of Sorrow 12 6,935 02-10-2013 10:17 PM
Last Post: Trekkie_Aspie
  Gifted Students? Darkstripe 14 6,034 01-19-2013 08:00 AM
Last Post: thewake
  Gifted Teacher Rude to My Ghetto Gangsta students TheCancer 5 5,946 01-18-2013 12:50 PM
Last Post: thewake
  Gifted Kids cooltoonist 34 9,113 01-18-2013 12:33 PM
Last Post: IamNoone