RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The noose tightens around WikiLeaks' Assange
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)
The noose tightens around WikiLeaks' Assange

Quote:LONDON – The law is closing in on Julian Assange. Swedish authorities won a court ruling Thursday in their bid to arrest the WikiLeaks founder for questioning in a rape case, British intelligence is said to know where in England he's hiding, and U.S. pundits and politicians are demanding he be hunted down or worse.

The former computer hacker who has embarrassed the U.S. government and foreign leaders with his online release of a huge trove of secret American diplomatic cables suffered a legal setback when Sweden's Supreme Court upheld an order to detain him — a move that could lead to his extradition.

Meanwhile, Assange continues to leak sensitive documents. Newly posted cables on WikiLeaks' website detailed a host of embarrassing disclosures, including allegations that Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi accepted kickbacks and a deeply unflattering assessment of Turkmenistan's president.

Assange is accused in Sweden of rape, sexual molestation and coercion in a case from August, and Swedish officials have alerted Interpol and issued a European arrest warrant to bring him in for questioning.

The 39-year-old Australian denies the charges, which his lawyer, Mark Stephens, said apparently stemmed from a "dispute over consensual but unprotected sex." Stephens said the case is turning into an exercise in persecution.

While Assange has not made a public appearance for nearly a month, his lawyer insisted authorities know where to find him.

"Both the British and the Swedish authorities know how to contact him, and the security services know exactly where he is," Stephens told The Associated Press.

It was unclear if or when police would act on Sweden's demands. Police there acknowledged Thursday they would have to refile their European arrest warrant after British authorities asked for more details on the maximum penalties for the three crimes.

Scotland Yard declined comment, as did the Serious and Organized Crime Agency, responsible for processing European arrest warrants for suspects in England — where The Guardian claims Assange is hiding out.

In a statement, Assange's lawyer in Sweden, Bjorn Hurtig, suggested that Assange is being retaliated against for the leaks.

"I do find it somewhat strange and to say the least `coincidental' that Interpol has made the arrest warrant public simultaneous to Wikileaks releasing its latest revelations," Hurtig said. "My mind remains open as to whether the prosecutor has been influenced by any third-party considerations."

Stephens — who also represents the AP on media-related matters — said that if Assange is ever served with a warrant, he will fight it in British court. "The process in this case has been so utterly irregular that the chances of a valid arrest warrant being submitted to me are very small," he said.

The Swedish case has been subject to a great deal of back and forth, with Swedish prosecutors repeatedly overruling each other and disagreeing over whether to classify the most serious accusation as rape.

WikiLeaks spokesman Kristinn Hrafnsson said late Wednesday that the organization is trying to keep Assange's location a secret for security reasons. He noted that commentators in the United States and Canada have called for Assange to be hunted down or killed.

Sarah Palin likened Assange to an al-Qaida propagandist and accused him, without offering any proof, of having "blood on his hands."

"Why was he not pursued with the same urgency we pursue al-Qaida and Taliban leaders?" she asked in a message posted on her Facebook page.

"I think Assange should be assassinated, actually," Tom Flanagan, a former adviser to Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, told the CBC. "I think Obama should put out a contract or maybe use a drone or something." Flanagan, a U.S.-born professor of political science at the University of Calgary, later apologized.

In Washington, the top Democrat and Republican at the Senate Intelligence Committee called on Attorney General Eric Holder to prosecute Assange for espionage. Committee chairwoman Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., and vice chairman Sen. Kit Bond, R-Mo., said in a letter Thursday that they believe Assange's behavior falls under the Espionage Act, which makes it a crime to willfully pass on defense information that could hurt the U.S.

U.S. government lawyers are investigating whether Assange can be prosecuted for spying, a senior American defense official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said earlier this week. WikiLeaks has not said how it obtained the documents, but the government's prime suspect is an Army private, Bradley Manning, who is in the brig on charges of leaking other classified documents to WikiLeaks.

State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said WikiLeaks is not a news organization and Assange is neither a journalist nor a whistle-blower, but someone with a political agenda.

"I think he's an anarchist," Crowley said. He said Assange is "trying to undermine the international system that enables us to cooperate and collaborate with other governments."

"What he's doing is damaging to our efforts and the efforts of other governments," the spokesman said.

One batch of the latest leaked dispatches — these from the U.S. Embassy staff in Turkmenistan — portrays the president of the former Soviet state in Central Asia, Gurbanguli Berdymukhamedov, as "vain, suspicious, guarded, strict, very conservative, a practiced liar," and "not a very bright guy."

According to another one of the cables, Georgia's ambassador in Rome claimed that Berlusconi was promised a cut of the profits in energy deals with Russia. Berlusconi denied the allegation.

The documents also included a frank assessment from the American envoy to Stockholm about Sweden's historic policy of nonalignment — a policy that the U.S. ambassador, Michael Woods, seemed to suggest was for public consumption only.

Sweden's military and intelligence cooperation with the U.S. "give the lie to the official policy" of non-participation in military alliances, Woods said. He added in a separate cable that Sweden's defense minister fondly remembers his time as a high school student in America and "loves the U.S."

Woods cautioned American officials not to trumpet Sweden-U.S. cooperation in the fight against terrorism too openly, because that would open up the Swedish government to domestic criticism.

In England, meanwhile, a front-page story in The Guardian alleged that one of the leaked cables showed British politicians trying to keep Parliament in the dark over the storage of American cluster bombs on British territory — despite an international ban on the weapons. Britain's Foreign Office denied the charge.

___

Rising and Louise Nordstrom reported from Stockholm. Gillian Smith in London contributed to this report.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101203/ap_ ... /wikileaks

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
12-03-2010 02:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)
Re: The noose tightens around WikiLeaks' Assange

Told ya

There aren't many places you can hide when you piss off the entire world.
12-03-2010 02:36 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

I'd like to contend that he probably won't be put away for very long even if he is prosecuted, which he probably won't be due to the facts of this case being skewed. I'd also like to throw the idea out there that the trials will probably last a long ass time if they ever get around to trying him at all.

If anything, it's going to take a long ass time to get this guy put away, and it probably won't last.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
12-03-2010 02:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aya Offline
Banned

Absentinsomniac Wrote:I'd like to contend that he probably won't be put away for very long even if he is prosecuted, which he probably won't be due to the facts of this case being skewed. I'd also like to throw the idea out there that the trials will probably last a long ass time if they ever get around to trying him at all.

If anything, it's going to take a long ass time to get this guy put away, and it probably won't last.

Not if they transfer him to US custody for 'questioning'. US law allows the government to hold a person indefinately without charge if they're suspected to be a threat to national security. And since Assange declared himself an enemy of the US, he pretty much saved the government the time and trouble of a full blown investigation.

Both England and Sweden are chummy with the USA. If he's captured by either one then chances are they'll transfer him over to us with little problem. If that happens it's almost guaranteed that he'll die alone and forgotten in an undisclosed prison cell.

Seriously, for a guy who's smart enough to get at all this classified information, you'd think he would've thought this through a little more.
12-03-2010 03:24 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Not likely. The government is having a hard time keeping their suspected-terrorists locked up without a public trial, let alone a high-profile, recently-famed individual. The public would be outraged, even if the majority are against the guy.

Not that the U.S would take 'em off their hands anyway. The U.S has no legal basis for putting the guy away. The best bet for everyone who is against him would be to put they guy in prison over in Sweden... However, like I said above, they probably won't get a conviction that lasts anyway.

I guess we'll see though, these are just my speculations based on other shit that remotely relates to these types of situations.

Blog I post to now:

12-03-2010 03:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aya Offline
Banned

Absentinsomniac Wrote:Not that the U.S would take 'em off their hands anyway. The U.S has no legal basis for putting the guy away.

Oh how cute!

The US has no legal basis for half the shit it does.
12-03-2010 04:06 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Yes, but half the shit it does isn't under the scrutiny of the public.

Blog I post to now:

12-03-2010 04:34 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

At this point them mowing the guy down will be what he prays for and Aya I gotta admit for a guy smart enough to pull wikileaks he sure is making some dumb decisions.

Maybe he might be just a distraction for us.

image hosting jpg
12-03-2010 06:56 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

Absentinsomniac Wrote:Not likely. The government is having a hard time keeping their suspected-terrorists locked up without a public trial, let alone a high-profile, recently-famed individual. The public would be outraged, even if the majority are against the guy.
LOLno. They're having a hard time getting them trials. The public was outraged when Obama wanted to take suspected terrorists OUT of Guantanamo Bay.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
12-04-2010 12:54 AM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

Have they released the pasword to the insurance file yet?
12-04-2010 02:07 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Rebelnerd Wrote:
Absentinsomniac Wrote:Not likely. The government is having a hard time keeping their suspected-terrorists locked up without a public trial, let alone a high-profile, recently-famed individual. The public would be outraged, even if the majority are against the guy.
LOLno. They're having a hard time getting them trials. The public was outraged when Obama wanted to take suspected terrorists OUT of Guantanamo Bay.

So much for Justice for all. Laugh

image hosting jpg
12-04-2010 03:26 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

HeartofShadows Wrote:At this point them mowing the guy down will be what he prays for and Aya I gotta admit for a guy smart enough to pull wikileaks he sure is making some dumb decisions.

That will never happen. One of the first rules of intelligence is that you don't turn your enemies into martyrs.
12-04-2010 03:44 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Ayliana Wrote:
HeartofShadows Wrote:At this point them mowing the guy down will be what he prays for and Aya I gotta admit for a guy smart enough to pull wikileaks he sure is making some dumb decisions.

That will never happen. One of the first rules of intelligence is that you don't turn your enemies into martyrs.

Yeah I know but you can never go broke overestimating the intelligence of the US government.

image hosting jpg
12-04-2010 05:50 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

If assange gets arrested he still has a whole fucking team of people who he trusts. Knocking down the facade wont damage the buildings structure.
12-04-2010 05:52 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Thought Criminal Wrote:If assange gets arrested he still has a whole fucking team of people who he trusts. Knocking down the facade wont damage the buildings structure.

I'm not so sure about that. Remember that interview with CNN which he walked off set? The first part of the internview was of him grilling the journalist over her sources. All because she cited evidence of internal conflict in his organization.

Here's a hint: When people say the phrase 'as far as I know' or 'that I know of' they're usually distrustful of something or someone. People truly ignorant of a situation will just flat out say "I don't know". He doesn't trust his team nearly as much as he claims he does.
12-04-2010 06:32 AM
Pieman Offline
Pie Deity

Given 28 thank(s) in 23 post(s)

If he's smart enough to do something like WikiLeaks, and a former computer hacker, then he's smart enough to know what he was getting into when he posted those stories. He would've known that there was a chance the world was gonna get pissy, so chances are he would have prepared for it. I know I'm making a lot of "Woulda-coulda-shoulda" points here, but doesn't anybody else see this as logical? First off, he hasn't been caught yet and the world wants him hunted down and/or dead, Second - he hasn't been caught and is STILL posting things on WikiLeaks. Third, he's able to communicate with the people he trusts.

You don't post stories like that, or probably anything on that website without knowing what the consequenses might be, and being prepared for them, and that's what I think he's doing here. I also agree with Ayliana's first post, about Assange not going to be locked up for very long if he ever does get caught.

" I never knew until that moment how bad it could hurt to lose something you never really had. " ~From the television show The Wonder Years
12-04-2010 06:53 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Pieman Wrote:If he's smart enough to do something like WikiLeaks, and a former computer hacker, then he's smart enough to know what he was getting into when he posted those stories. He would've known that there was a chance the world was gonna get pissy, so chances are he would have prepared for it. I know I'm making a lot of "Woulda-coulda-shoulda" points here, but doesn't anybody else see this as logical? First off, he hasn't been caught yet and the world wants him hunted down and/or dead, Second - he hasn't been caught and is STILL posting things on WikiLeaks. Third, he's able to communicate with the people he trusts.

You don't post stories like that, or probably anything on that website without knowing what the consequenses might be, and being prepared for them, and that's what I think he's doing here. I also agree with Ayliana's first post, about Assange not going to be locked up for very long if he ever does get caught.

Wow. Thank you for not reading a damn thing I have written in this thread.

Also, I'm not the one who said he wouldn't do alot of time. I'm the one who said he'd never see the light of day again should he be caught.
12-04-2010 07:15 AM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

He still has a lot of fucking balls to actually do this shit, though.
12-04-2010 09:28 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Rebelnerd Wrote:

LOLoh, my bad.

Anyway...

I've reassessed the situation and my stance on the matter of what the United States may do in the future. I'm standing behind my previous opinions on the Swedish case though. That is to say, even if Sweden gets him into the country, and proceeds to get him into court, the facts of the case are skewed and the case isn't exactly a strong one. If they do get a conviction though, the imprisonment probably won't last that long anyway...

As for the U.S prosecuting him, realistically speaking, and with as little bias as possible, I can honestly say that right now it's up in the air. As I stated before however, this will be a very, very slow process. First they will have to wait for Sweden to finish whatever the fuck they are trying to do, next, they will have to try to get him sent to the U.S from wherever he's going to be hiding out by then, or directly from Sweden. Then they will have to go through all of the proper trial procedures and try him based on the Espionage Act...

Oh, and yes, that means I still believe they will try him publicly in your standard court. It's simply not going to go over well if they nab him and hide the guy in some random detention facility that is probably used for illegal means on the side. Anyway, if he is tried, and if he is convicted, he will go away for a long ass time... However, I don't think it's all that likely that this will happen. In the past, people who have leaked classified information haven't been perused. That may be changing with Obama though.

I guess we'll see, and even if he is convicted I doubt classified leaks will cease. They will probably have to take down wikileaks as an organization... Unless Asanage was the thing holding the organization together. Shrug

Blog I post to now:

12-04-2010 03:08 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

Ayliana Wrote:internal conflict in his organization.

Internal conflict lol, you mean getting rid of one person?
12-04-2010 11:44 PM
Aya Offline
Banned

psychopath Wrote:
Ayliana Wrote:internal conflict in his organization.

Internal conflict lol, you mean getting rid of one person?

No, I mean other people besides that one individual becoming fed up with the organization and speaking out to the press about it. That was what the journalist claimed and that was what Assange was so butt hurt over in the first 45 second of that interview.
12-05-2010 02:17 AM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Ayliana Wrote:No, I mean other people besides that one individual becoming fed up with the organization and speaking out to the press about it. That was what the journalist claimed and that was what Assange was so butt hurt over in the first 45 second of that interview.

What's your point other than having a grudge against wikileaks for some reason?
12-05-2010 02:51 AM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

UMG NO TRUE AMERICAN IS PRO-WIKILUUUKS LURL

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
12-05-2010 02:56 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

Now they canceled Wikileaks' PayPal accounts and some shit...

[Image: glorious666.png]
12-05-2010 12:20 PM
Aya Offline
Banned

psychopath Wrote:
Ayliana Wrote:No, I mean other people besides that one individual becoming fed up with the organization and speaking out to the press about it. That was what the journalist claimed and that was what Assange was so butt hurt over in the first 45 second of that interview.

What's your point other than having a grudge against wikileaks for some reason?

My point is that he doesn't trust his people as much as he claims to. And that for a man who's made a name for himself leaking secrets to the press, he sure as hell doesn't like the of idea of having information on him or his organization leaked.

Also, I don't have a grudge against Wikileaks, I'm just making an observation. Nice needling attempt however.
12-05-2010 02:42 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Ayliana Wrote:My point is that he doesn't trust his people as much as he claims to.

Yeah I noted the same thing myself in the whole he tends to go from place to place thing as he's very paranoid.

image hosting jpg
12-05-2010 03:36 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Ayliana Wrote:My point is that he doesn't trust his people as much as he claims to. And that for a man who's made a name for himself leaking secrets to the press, he sure as hell doesn't like the of idea of having information on him or his organization leaked.

Who cares? What he's doing is good and that's good enough for me, I'm not going to hate on him because of some personality trait. Did you expect him to be an angel?
12-05-2010 04:56 PM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

It is said that George Washington could not tell a lie. He's probably breakdancing in his grave right now.
12-05-2010 09:20 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

HeartofShadows Wrote:
Ayliana Wrote:My point is that he doesn't trust his people as much as he claims to.

he tends to go from place to place thing as he's very paranoid.

I'm guessing that's because governments hate him? I wouldn't want to stay in one place for too long either if so many people wanted to silence me.

At least this guy is doing something, if anything we should support him instead of being so critical of tiny things like his personality, he's not a celebrity. This is a modern fight against censorship IMO.
12-06-2010 06:31 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

psychopath Wrote:I'm guessing that's because governments hate him? I wouldn't want to stay in one place for too long either if so many people wanted to silence me.

At least this guy is doing something, if anything we should support him instead of being so critical of tiny things like his personality, he's not a celebrity. This is a modern fight against censorship IMO.

Calm down psychopath I know he can't just trust anybody or he would be dead.
Either way this in itself is just a show unless it sparks some kind of event which I doubt.

image hosting jpg
12-06-2010 08:28 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Slavoj Zizek and David Horowitz on Julian Assange's "The World Tomorrow" I Must Enter a Username 1 1,668 06-09-2014 10:02 AM
Last Post: Absnt
  Julian Assange plans to run for Australian Senate! Efs 2 1,814 03-19-2012 01:30 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  Wikileaks US Agreed to Reveal UK’s Nuclear Secrets HeartofShadows 2 1,857 02-08-2011 01:52 AM
Last Post: aaaaaaasd
  Iceland may ban MasterCard, Visa over WikiLeaks censorship HeartofShadows 15 3,237 12-22-2010 03:48 AM
Last Post: The Desert Fox
  Assange got out. Absnt 11 2,417 12-21-2010 03:48 AM
Last Post: HeartofShadows
  Calls for Assange to be killed psychopath 6 2,695 12-15-2010 03:18 AM
Last Post: SaintVicious
  It's time to help wikileaks. Absnt 11 3,270 12-12-2010 12:04 PM
Last Post: The Desert Fox
  A new WikiLeaks” revolts against Assange HeartofShadows 8 3,492 12-10-2010 05:40 PM
Last Post: psychopath
  Hackers strike at MasterCard to support WikiLeaks HeartofShadows 3 2,284 12-09-2010 04:52 PM
Last Post: psychopath
  Julian Assange arrested aaaaaaasd 16 3,922 12-08-2010 09:53 PM
Last Post: Sunbourn