RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Awesome teacher + Chem teacher rant
Sharpie Offline
Banned

Given 169 thank(s) in 113 post(s)
Awesome teacher + Chem teacher rant

Today in newspaper class my teacher (who I already like) showed us TED videos all hour instead of us doing classwork.

TED videos are basically videos of really smart people talking to an audience about things they've invented or things they've done.

He eventually got to this video about a guy doing improv pranks or whatever. In one of them, he got 80 people to dress up in blue polo shirts and brown khaki pants (the uniform of best buy employees) and stand around in a best buy store.

So my teacher basically says "we should totally do something like that instead of classwork."
He goes on to explain that doing the same stuff day in and day out is incredibly boring and tedious and that doing something random and spontaneous like improv pranks would take away the mindless grinding of the day for at least a little while.
So now tomorrow my newspaper class of 20 people is doing a dancing flash mob during the break in between classes. Nobody else in the school knows about it, and another student is going to play "party rock anthem" on the P.A. System while it happens. There's two hallways in my school so everybody will see it. After its over everyone will go about their day like nothing happened. I'm going to try and do a good job at filming it, maybe I'll put it on YouTube if it works out well.

Some people might think its dumb and immature but I honestly think its kinda cool; not only because a teacher suggested this but because it'll take some of the repetition out of the day and hopefully make others smile and give them something actually good to remember/talk about as far as school goes.

I now respect this teacher even more than before.

Now on to my chemistry teacher, mr douchefuck. During newspaper class I hear him out in the hallway lecturing another student because he fell asleep in class.
He was saying shit like "so what's it look like when you have your head down and your eyes closed?"
This student isn't afraid to talk back to teachers and he replies with "what do you think? I was sleeping, what else would I be doing with my head down?"

I couldn't hear the rest of the lecture because of the videos we were watching but they were out there for literally fifteen minutes. My chem teacher just sat there for fifteen fucking minutes bitching at a student for something as simple as falling asleep. He's such an asshole, I rant about him all the time. If he tried pulling that shit on me I'd flat out say "I was sleeping. Now I'm awake. Big fucking deal, you don't need to sit here and belittle me because it makes you feel good."

The other day I overheard him talking to another teacher after school and he said he had anger management issues.
It went something like this "I realized that when I yelled at people I got something out of it. Yell at a store manager and get a discount, get a free upgrade to first class on a plane, ect. So I went 'oooh' and used this to my advantage."

That explains a lot.
02-03-2012 01:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Luizao876 Offline
Everyone's favorite Huezillian

Given 22 thank(s) in 17 post(s)
RE: Awesome teacher + Chem teacher rant

Wow, it would be great doing that thing. Respect for your newspaper teacher!

And fuck this Chemistry teacher. I hate when teachers become enraged about something like falling asleep. WTF IS WRONG WITH IT?
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2012 01:38 AM by Luizao876.)
02-03-2012 01:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)
RE: Awesome teacher + Chem teacher rant

There's only one teacher that I have that cares if you fall asleep...he makes you go and stand up in the back of the classroom, even if your grades in his class are perfect. The rest of my teachers just let me sleep....well, my art teacher wakes me up but she doesn't actually do anything.

No, this is Patrick.
02-03-2012 02:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Worst ever Teacher? NeonMarshmallow 10 6,867 06-11-2017 05:00 AM
Last Post: Marlena403
  Who's the worst teacher you've had? tootsie_turtle 42 26,628 06-11-2017 04:28 AM
  Worst English Teacher Ever NightThoughts 16 13,535 06-11-2017 04:22 AM
  The girl who used to be my fake friend tried to make me embarrass my art teacher Marlena403 1 1,611 05-20-2017 07:40 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  My English Teacher Subb 13 7,192 05-05-2017 02:50 PM
  Year 10 boys want to get my math teacher fired for nothing. How can I save her? Marlena403 3 2,937 05-03-2017 11:32 AM
  What's was/is your worst teacher and why? Depression101 5 3,319 04-29-2017 10:20 AM
  My English teacher lied to the Head of English about my homework Marlena403 12 6,348 04-29-2017 10:18 AM
  Substitute teacher teaching us wrong subject... James Comey 11 6,759 03-26-2017 02:34 PM
Question Have students successfully petitionioned to fire a teacher/faculty member? DeadorAlive 13 7,030 02-07-2017 04:04 AM