RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Inherent Problem With Utopian Society
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)
The Inherent Problem With Utopian Society

A lot of people want a perfect life. And a lot of people realize that this is not something that would benefit them. Or their partner. Or their friends. Or their family. Or any individual, really. Unfortunately, the former number is larger than the latter number. People think that it's because it'll be boring, and yes, this is true. But it is only half the truth, and people often lack a reason when it comes to this.

I'm not saying their logic is wrong. It's almost always correct. But they often don't realize what, exactly, their logic is.

Their logic is pretty simple, it's the basis on which all human interaction is based on: Contrast.

Think about the happiest moments in your life. They were pretty good, right? Lots of euphoria, carelessness? Now, think of those moments without having experienced any sadness, any loss or anger. It's subdued, correct? Imagine an entire life like that. It's pointless, meaningless.

But, of course, you can still contrast happiness to a lack of emotions, albeit not as well. However, in a Utopian society, there are going to be sacrifices. Violent activities will be cut, drastically reducing adrenaline levels worldwide. One could argue that without contrast, the stimulant for that activity will be raised, but adrenaline is an instinctual thing, and without correct exposure to it, adrenaline only sets off the 'flight' mechanism.

My argument has unfortunate implications. The world needs bad people. It needs complications, and not just small ones. Small complications just create shallow emotional depth. And without emotional depth, well... What measure is a non-human? What would be the point of living, knowing full well the fruitlessness of your own actions, and without having the deep emotional constructs that give someone pleasure? There would be no point.

Now, there is a reason I'm saying all this. It's entirely relevant to the modern age. We are heading along this track very quickly. People are trying to make this reality and it's not helpful. Worse still, prior to making this reality, they're attempting to force the illusion of this reality onto their children, which simply causes emotional shock when introduced to society and a dramatic rise in depression levels in countries which are prosperous or sheltered enough to actively enforce this belief.

So, what should we do about it? We need to make an incredibly hypocritical attack at this. Inform anyone naïve enough to believe this bullshit to toughen the fuck up, whilst spreading the idea that happiness, along with several other emotions, are easily attainable through various, easily controllable triggers (such as facial expression, music, company and a healthy lifestyle). We can make a perfect society without making a perfect society, which would ruin the concept of a perfect society.

Aaaaaand I'm done.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
12-05-2010 01:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)
Re: The Inherent Problem With Utopian Society

I remember you told me this in a PM.
It's logical. So if life is suppose to be a mixture of good and bad, maybe we need school?
I'm just sayin' xP

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
12-05-2010 07:08 PM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Efstratios Wrote:I remember you told me this in a PM.
It's logical. So if life is suppose to be a mixture of good and bad, maybe we need school?
I'm just sayin' xP

I said we need bad things, not meaningless restrictions which over time turn an entire 12-13 years of your life into a mind-numbing stupor. It provides no contrast.

12-05-2010 07:55 PM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Yes, but, we could still do without war. We can have our own minor conflicts, but us dying of nukes wouldn't be very fun either. That's my idea of Utopian society. Everything the way it is, but without major war.

[Image: True-Blood-Banner-true-blood-2196368-500-82.jpg]
Faith o' Meter
-{|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}-
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
12-06-2010 06:58 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

We need a bogeyman.

12-06-2010 06:58 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

By that you mean...?

[Image: True-Blood-Banner-true-blood-2196368-500-82.jpg]
Faith o' Meter
-{|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}-
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
12-06-2010 06:59 AM
genuine anarchist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

The only way we can ever have a utopia is if everyone was the same and thought the same. There would be no contrast, but even then, that would be a boring life.
12-06-2010 07:59 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Genuine anarchist put out the main conflict with any sort of utopia or ideal.

Free will which allows people to go against any sort of belief or ideal to do what they please.
Without free will there could be a utopia of sorts but deep down we like all the conflict, violence and death not to mention our free will so your right awol in that a utopia is never going to happen.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
12-06-2010 10:42 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)

In the words of George Carlin "We love war, were good at it." America itself averages a major war about every 20 years its our hobby, to have peace we would have to have some serous brain rebuilding or a target on another world.
12-07-2010 03:21 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

I know for a fact I'd be bored out of my mind if the world was perfect and everyone was always happy. I'd probably become a supervillian just to stir shit up.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
12-07-2010 04:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
genuine anarchist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Anyone here ever read Brave New World by Alduous Huxley? It's about a "utopia" where people are happy all the time, free from commitments such as family and friends, encouraged to have sex and go out and party all the time, and take soma (some pills) every time they feel a little bad or depressed. That's what happens when you try to make everyone happy all the time; happiness loses its value because there is no evil to contrast it to (though the book was more of an attack on our Western consumer culture and shallow values).
12-08-2010 02:05 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

genuine anarchist Wrote:Anyone here ever read Brave New World by Alduous Huxley?

Yeah who hasn't?

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
12-08-2010 03:07 PM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

HeartofShadows Wrote:
genuine anarchist Wrote:Anyone here ever read Brave New World by Alduous Huxley?

Yeah who hasn't?

This. Actually, thanks for reminding me, that book's overdue from like a year back.

12-08-2010 06:03 PM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

no, the main problem with a utopian society is that THERE ARE NO NINJAS
12-10-2010 06:03 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

No, there'd have to be.Otherwise it wouldn't be Utopian.

12-10-2010 02:17 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

AWOL Wrote:No, there'd have to be.Otherwise it wouldn't be Utopian.
wat

[Image: glorious666.png]
12-11-2010 02:53 PM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

A Utopia is, literally, a society which includes all aspects of it (it being society). Ninjas are still part of society. It would have to include them.

12-11-2010 03:24 PM
Swift Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Utopia is Greek for "non place".

"I heard a joke once. Man goes to doctor says "I'm terribly depressed". Doctor says "I know just what you should do. Poliacci the clown is in town, go see him, you'll be cheered right up." The man bursts into tears. "But Doctor, I am Poliacci." Funny joke. Roll on snare drum. Everyone laugh."

-Rorschach

[Image: BANANAMAN.gif]
12-14-2010 10:23 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

We're not talking about Greek here. That's the English usage.

12-14-2010 11:10 AM
Fractomancer Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

I am pretty sure this conclusion of yours is obvious.
To put it simply:
Let's think that negative things are black.
Positive things are white.
Mixed patterns made with both colors are more interesting, aren't they?

Getting as close as possible without reaching perfection is awesome. Nothing must be perfect. Else it's just basically nothing.

It isn't life if you're this Donald Duck's cousin guy whose name I dunno in English who's got good luck and all.

It isn't utopia if there is no future to it. Nothing to wait for. And that isn't perfection is it? Perfection can't be perfect, and improve, but in order to not be boring, it should do that.

[Image: adhd_mild.gif] Try it on yourself!
12-15-2010 05:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

If things were perfect, life would get boring. What's the point of looking out the window in the morning if you know it's always going to be *insert your favorite weather here*? It'd be like playing a video game with no antagonist to defeat.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
12-15-2010 05:18 AM
Fractomancer Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Oh!! Almost forgot!!
There'd be no schaudenfreude! NO LULZ!!
Nobody would be jealous to you or admire you if you were successful at something because everyone is 100% equal!
There would be no competition. It just, well, is not worth anything.

It'd be mediocre. Yes. I am calling perfection mediocre.

I'm so happy it doesn't exist.

[Image: adhd_mild.gif] Try it on yourself!
12-15-2010 05:45 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

itd mean no more 4chan :C
12-16-2010 03:47 AM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

Why does everyone seem to believe that a perfect world would be bad?

I'll just go ahead and define "perfect" as "absolute happiness."

Absolute happiness does not mean drudgery. It doesn't mean a deadening of the senses. It doesn't imply boredom or any of that shit.

And people who always say "boo, a perfectly happy world would be SOOO boring," I invite them to live on the street, or feed on rats, or get cancer.

Let's see how they change then.

I believe most people here are rich faggots who've never had to worry about having food on their table the next day.

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
12-16-2010 07:02 PM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Faby Wrote:Why does everyone seem to believe that a perfect world would be bad?

I'll just go ahead and define "perfect" as "absolute happiness."

Absolute happiness does not mean drudgery. It doesn't mean a deadening of the senses. It doesn't imply boredom or any of that shit.

And people who always say "boo, a perfectly happy world would be SOOO boring," I invite them to live on the street, or feed on rats, or get cancer.

Let's see how they change then.

I believe most people here are rich faggots who've never had to worry about having food on their table the next day.

I don't mean a perfectly happy world, I mean a perfect world.

Big difference. Not enough resources to sustain constant happiness among all groups in the same way, which is why it's often a choice between sections of the Earth suffering from disparity, or the entirety of the Earth suffering from mild to extreme resource to depletion.

12-16-2010 10:40 PM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

lololol rich faggot right i earned my shit sir my dads a jew with his money when has any ( he loses job because hes a control freak and has a temper to boot)
12-17-2010 03:35 AM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

Could you talk in a language that vaugely resembles english please
12-17-2010 05:06 AM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

Comrade Wrote:my dads a jew
A JEW!

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
12-17-2010 10:59 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Time to get mah lynching chains...

12-17-2010 02:17 PM