RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Even if Ron Paul gets Republican Nomination
Sapphire Flames Offline
Pariah

Given 9 thank(s) in 7 post(s)
Even if Ron Paul gets Republican Nomination

He has to get the electoral college vote, which I'm iffy on if he's going to get it.

It wouldn't surprise me either way if all of you knew how the election works or some don't, I expect at least some members like Ayliana to know.

The president isn't elected by the people, he's elected by an elected group of people. Basically, we vote for who votes for us. The Electoral College are the ones who vote.

It has happened before that the popular vote (people's vote) didn't get the president elected, Like Gore vs. Bush.

So all I'm saying is not to get your hopes up for Ron Paul too much, you all know the government can be pretty corrupt at times, so while I still want Ron Paul 2012, I doubt it will happen.

"All Animals are equal, But some are more equal than others."
01-28-2012 08:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)
RE: Even if Ron Paul gets Republican Nomination

There are people on this site that don't know how the voting system works?

No, this is Patrick.
01-28-2012 08:41 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Ron Paul is anti-freedom. Fuck him.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
01-28-2012 08:41 AM
The Offline
The; Captain Obvious

Given 9 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

I'm confused about Ron Paul. Hes all libertarian but hes voted for all this authoritarian shit in the past. Is he cool or not?

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\
01-28-2012 09:26 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

He wants each state to be able to make any fucking laws it wants to. I mean, the bill of rights, whatever. But if the state of texas decides that people of the same legal gender can't fuck each other, Ron Paul is totally fine with that. Then they'll start making lists of suspected fags, like they did with da commies, and they'll burst into your house to check if you are blowing each other, and then take you to jail forever. and Ron Paul is fine with that. And then they'll make abortion illegal and Ron Paul would love that because he is 100% opposed to abortion. See, Ron Paul believes that the state gubments should "regulate social issues" and somehow he thinks that what kind of sex people have in the privacy of their own homes, somehow that's a "social" issue.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

01-28-2012 09:30 AM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

(01-28-2012 08:41 AM)StadiumArcadium Wrote:  There are people on this site that don't know how the voting system works?

Well I knew how it worked. In the end it really doesn't matter what the people want.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
01-28-2012 09:49 AM
Sapphire Flames Offline
Pariah

(01-28-2012 08:41 AM)StadiumArcadium Wrote:  There are people on this site that don't know how the voting system works?

I don't know. I said it wouldn't surprise me either way.

01-28-2012 09:52 AM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

People on here seem to be above average intelligence...not some people...but for the most part. I would think most people realize that their vote means nothing at all if the people that actually vote don't want it to.

Oh and the president isn't really the one who makes the decisions.

No, this is Patrick.
01-28-2012 09:56 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

(01-28-2012 09:56 AM)StadiumArcadium Wrote:  People on here seem to be above average intelligence...not some people...but for the most part. I would think most people realize that their vote means nothing at all if the people that actually vote don't want it to.

What do you mean by "actually vote"? Is that different from normal voting?

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2012 10:07 AM by Prince Rilian.)
01-28-2012 09:58 AM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

But the reason that popular vote and who gets elected is different isn't necessarily (and historically, has never been to date) because the electors vote for somebody other than who they were 'supposed' to. It's because each state gets a certain number of electors, and typically all of those electors vote for whoever has the popular vote in that state--so a candidate could have barely more than 50% of the popular vote in that state, but all of the state's electoral college votes.

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
01-28-2012 10:03 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

My dad said there was one time when one electoral whatever voted differently than they were aposta, but it didn't change the outcome and they knew it wouldn't, just did it for giggles or something.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

01-28-2012 10:07 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

I'm voting for Paul in the primary. He won't get the nomination though, Rommney will. I hope Paul runs as a third party. I will vote for him if he does that. Even if he doesn't win he will split the vote enough to give Obama a big boost.
01-28-2012 10:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

Electoral votes are determined by who has the most votes in a given state. Most of them are winner take all, so a candidate could theoretically have only a single vote above the other in California and gain fifty five electoral votes. This applies to every state except for Nebraska and Maine. So it's very easy to see how a candidate can gain more popular votes than the other but still lose the electoral vote - which happened in the 2000 election. In the end it came down to recounting the popular vote of Florida, who had 25 electoral votes, which swung George Bush's way. Despite Al Gore narrowly winning the popular vote, George Bush won the election.

I'd agree with the statement that the electoral college system is pretty archaic. Even though the electoral college has decided an election by voting for somebody other than who the state had elected, they theoretically could in the future. This is a major threat to the concept of democracy.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
01-28-2012 12:33 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

^ And to expand on that, and this is good stuff, we must take note of the reasons for it's inception. The reason it's set up like that is to avoid mob rule, and factious groups throwing off elections and voting someone completely incapable/crazy/whatever into office. That is just as dangerous to democracy as the electoral college fags not voting for the popular person.

Plus, decision rules are fucking crazy. Who even knows who the "popular" person is. Every decision rule garners a different result lol. Personally, I think the one we are using now sucks dick.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
01-28-2012 01:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

(01-28-2012 01:08 PM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  ^ And to expand on that, and this is good stuff, we must take note of the reasons for it's inception. The reason it's set up like that is to avoid mob rule, and factious groups throwing off elections and voting someone completely incapable/crazy/whatever into office. That is just as dangerous to democracy as the electoral college fags not voting for the popular person.

Plus, decision rules are fucking crazy. Who even knows who the "popular" person is. Every decision rule garners a different result lol. Personally, I think the one we are using now sucks dick.

Meh I prefer the mob rule or incapable person!

But then I'd truly prefer a minarchy/anarchy.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
01-28-2012 02:36 PM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

(01-28-2012 02:36 PM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  
(01-28-2012 01:08 PM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  ^ And to expand on that, and this is good stuff, we must take note of the reasons for it's inception. The reason it's set up like that is to avoid mob rule, and factious groups throwing off elections and voting someone completely incapable/crazy/whatever into office. That is just as dangerous to democracy as the electoral college fags not voting for the popular person.

Meh I prefer the mob rule or incapable person!

But then I'd truly prefer a minarchy/anarchy.

I can't foresee anarchy working for a country as large as the United State for a long period of time. People will always try to gain power, and there will always be followers. We must settle for minarchy.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
01-28-2012 03:09 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

(01-28-2012 01:08 PM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  factious groups throwing off elections and voting someone completely incapable/crazy/whatever into office. That

.... but isn't that exactly what the electoral college could do?

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

01-28-2012 03:46 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

^ Pretty much. At the time of the laws writing, everyone was fucking stupid and most of the people in the government were highly educated white men who thought they knew best. And I guess they did on SOME issues. The masses could very easily get tricked by some new hyped up shit and would all go out and vote for someone retarded just because they are against/for it. Like, to give a modern day example, everyone could get worked up in a frenzy about some mythical threat like Y2K and fuck shit up in the computing world by spending billions putting retarded and unrealistic laws into action. Or something.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
01-30-2012 02:31 PM
Sapphire Flames Offline
Pariah

Eh, again it wouldn't surprise me if Ron Paul didn't get elected because of backroom political stuff, as my teacher puts it.

02-04-2012 10:56 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Republican lie marathon tonight Sunbourn 34 20,027 10-10-2015 04:39 AM
Last Post: ComradeDaryl
  What do you think is going to happen to the republican party? IamNoone 13 6,015 03-05-2013 11:17 AM
Last Post: Ky
  LET'S TAKE RON PAUL TO THE WHITE HOUSE Moneyfuskie935 107 49,965 05-12-2012 09:43 AM
Last Post: Sociopath
  Ron Paul confirmed for wizard: all his 2002 predictions come true aaaaaaasd 38 18,606 04-02-2012 10:59 AM
Last Post: Sociopath
  Ron Paul Openly Calls GOP Election Fraud UnschoolShqiponjë 4 2,799 03-13-2012 07:36 AM
Last Post: thewake
  Intelligent YouTube quote about Ron Paul. Sapphire Flames 33 19,248 02-04-2012 11:21 AM
Last Post: The
  Ron Paul Should Be The Next President Of The United States Luizao876 21 10,303 01-30-2012 02:19 PM
Last Post: Absnt
  Rand Paul detained by TSA Sunbourn 11 4,932 01-25-2012 09:02 AM
Last Post: Sapphire Flames
  I watched the Republican debate today. UnschoolShqiponjë 2 1,890 01-24-2012 04:58 PM
Last Post: gore goroth
  2012 Republican candidates The Desert Fox 24 13,062 12-07-2011 09:27 AM
Last Post: Stadium