RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weapon that shoots behind walls
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)
Weapon that shoots behind walls

Quote:US deploys 'game-changer' weapon to Afghanistan

[Image: xm25-420x0.jpg]

It looks and acts like something best left in the hands of Sylvester Stallone's "Rambo", but this latest dream weapon is real - and the US Army sees it becoming the Taliban's worst nightmare.

The Pentagon has rolled out prototypes of its first-ever programmable "smart" grenade launcher, a shoulder-fired weapon that uses microchipped ammunition to target and kill the enemy, even when the enemy is hidden behind walls or other cover.

After years of development, the XM25 Counter Defilade Target Engagement System, about the size of a regular rifle, has now been deployed to US units on the battlefields of Afghanistan, where the Army expects it to be a "game-changer" in its counterinsurgency operations.
Advertisement: Story continues below

"For well over a week, it's been actively on patrols, and in various combat outposts in areas that are hot," said Lieutenant Colonel Chris Lehner, program manager for the XM25.

The gun's stats are formidable: it fires 25mm air-bursting shells up to (700 metres), well past the range of most rifles used by today's soldiers, and programs them to explode at a precise distance, allowing troops to neutralise insurgents hiding behind walls, rocks or trenches or inside buildings.

"This is the first time we're putting smart technology into the hands of the individual soldier," Lehner said in a telephone interview.

"It's giving them the edge," he said, in the harsh Afghan landscape where Islamist extremists have vexed US troops using centuries-old techniques of popping up from behind cover to engage.

"You get behind something when someone is shooting at you, and that sort of cover has protected people for thousands of years," Lehner said.

"Now we're taking that away from the enemy forever."

PEO Soldier says studies show the XM25 is 300 per cent more effective than current weapons at the squad level.

The revolutionary advance involves an array of sights, sensors and lasers that reads the distance to the target, assesses elements such as air pressure, temperature, and ballistics and then sends that data to the microchip embedded in the XM25 shell before it is launched.

Previous grenade launchers needed to arc their shells over cover and land near the target to be effective.

"It takes out a lot of the variables that soldiers have to contemplate and even guess at," Lehner said.

If, for example, an enemy combatant pops up from behind a wall to fire at US troops and then ducks behind it, an XM25 gunner can aim the laser range finder at the top of the wall, then program the shell to detonate one meter beyond it, showering lethal fragmentation where the insurgent is seeking cover.

Use of the XM25 can slash civilian deaths and damage, the Army argues, because its pinpointed firepower offers far less risk than larger mortars or air strikes.

The result, the Army says, is "very limited collateral damage."

The Pentagon plans to purchase at least 12,500 of the guns - at a price tag of $US25,000 to $US30,000 each - beginning next year, enough for one in each Infantry squad and Special Forces team.

Lehner said the XM25 was special in that it requires comparatively little training, because the high-powered technology does so much of the work.

"This system is turning soldiers with average shooting skills into those with phenomenal shooting skills," he said.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/us-deplo ... 18lmm.html

So basically if someone is hiding behind a wall, the shell is exploded right above them, therefore bypassing the wall.
12-07-2010 12:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)
Re: Weapon that shoots behind walls

Wow its like 007's golden gun.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
12-07-2010 12:31 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

Damn. Notice to all anti-government folks on this forum: buy a nice helmet before the revolution starts. Some Kevlar shoulder pads might be useful too.

Or, since it sounds like these weapons will be deployed in civilian-heavy areas, operate in buildings where the walls are thin enough that they'll need explicit permission from their commanding officer before firing them, giving you time to relocate.

Or, place angled mirrors throughout a defensive position prior to battle. It won't win the war for you but it might confuse the lasers just enough to buy some time.

Or, erect a second but equally tall line of sandbags or whatever you're using, in front of your actual defensive line so that the rangefinder will hit that instead. The shooter's commanding officer will realize that this gives them a perfect place to take cover while laughing at your stupidity: along that advance wall. Which is where the remote charges will be planted.

Or, don't bother with stationary defenses at all, which are already pretty much obsolete in modern combat except as a place to momentarily take cover/reload. Stay mobile and don't even give them time to calibrate it.

Or just fucking EMP the damn thing.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
12-07-2010 12:38 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Rebelnerd Wrote:Damn. Notice to all anti-government folks on this forum: buy a nice helmet before the revolution starts. Some Kevlar shoulder pads might be useful too.

Or, since it sounds like these weapons will be deployed in civilian-heavy areas, operate in buildings where the walls are thin enough that they'll need explicit permission from their commanding officer before firing them, giving you time to relocate.

Or, place angled mirrors throughout a defensive position prior to battle. It won't win the war for you but it might confuse the lasers just enough to buy some time.

Or, erect a second but equally tall line of sandbags or whatever you're using, in front of your actual defensive line so that the rangefinder will hit that instead. The shooter's commanding officer will realize that this gives them a perfect place to take cover while laughing at your stupidity: along that advance wall. Which is where the remote charges will be planted.

Or, don't bother with stationary defenses at all, which are already pretty much obsolete in modern combat except as a place to momentarily take cover/reload. Stay mobile and don't even give them time to calibrate it.

Or just fucking EMP the damn thing.

What?!
EmP bombs?

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
12-07-2010 12:43 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

Lol you practically need a portable bunker to defend from this thing. Maybe confusing the thing is the best defense.
12-07-2010 01:05 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

According to the US Army's official website, approximately seven seconds pass between the moment when the weapon is raised to the soldier's shoulder and actual detonation. A lot can happen in seven seconds during a firefight, especially when you add on the time it takes to say "sir, permission to fire?" in the middle of a civilian city. Which the shooter will have to do every time his target relocates. Just keep moving and don't try to hold down an individual room for too long and it shouldn't be too bad. This thing is tough, but it's not going to win a war on its own. Everything has an exploitable flaw.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
12-07-2010 01:25 PM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

put up cardboard cutouts of people
warm them up
watch as it gets the cardboard cut outs instead of you
?????
PROFIT!
12-09-2010 06:58 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

But they'd have to have a clear line of sight with the warm cutouts in order for them to work, in which case they'd just use normal bullets.

12-09-2010 08:28 AM
monkey Away
Fanatic

Given 26 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Or you could use a roof or something.

Had to move on. Account is dead.
12-13-2010 03:51 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Kim Jong-Il shoots his Nodongs into Sea of Japan on July 4th Sunbourn 9 1,839 07-08-2009 04:37 PM
Last Post: Thought Criminal