RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Blog Thread
NightThoughts Offline
Night changes the way you think.

Given 12 thank(s) in 5 post(s)
Blog Thread

Like the name states, a blog thread.
First post: Won the school spelling bee, easy, and all due to A) God and B) My love of reading. Take that, people who say fantasy books don't help you!

I'd put a pithy quote here, but I'd rather speak for myself.

Superpowers aren't just flying and lifting several tons. Whatever you're good at, that's your superpower. Learn to deal with it.
01-25-2012 07:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NightThoughts Offline

RE: Blog Thread

Newest (at the time I wrote this) blog update:

Went to school, survived mindless classes and teachers that I positively detest, and then got pulled out of my one spot of free time by the guidance counselor. Rest of my study hall promptly stolen as she proceeded to talk about the unrelated spelling bee, then used the last five minutes before the bell to say what she needed to. And of course the lady tries to reason away my loathing of school. Come to think of it, maybe it's because the principal wants me in school as well...

Superpowers aren't just flying and lifting several tons. Whatever you're good at, that's your superpower. Learn to deal with it.
01-26-2012 06:51 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

I moved all the religious debate stuff here:
http://forums.school-survival.net/showth...?tid=24169
01-26-2012 03:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NightThoughts Offline

Thanks SoulRiser!

01-27-2012 07:53 AM
NightThoughts Offline

Back to blogging:

Doing my Latin homework right now after helping a friend with hers. Fun. Previously I attended piano and endured school. Favorite art class yet: It was the last class for the year. Another friend commented that she loved art but hated the class. How right she was. In any event I am studying art outside of class so people can't make fun of my drawing skills quite as much. Nothing too interesting or upsetting today. It was the April of days: Not particularly warm or cold, not particularly sunny or rainy, not really one thing or the other. Just...indifferent.

01-27-2012 11:02 AM
NightThoughts Offline

Visited a good friend for a pleasant start to the weekend! Got to have as much fun as possible while school-free.

01-28-2012 10:11 AM
NightThoughts Offline

Finally back! Got kicked off for the day because I used my Friday night to play on the computer. What's Friday for if not to stay up late and sleep in the next day though? Hope nothing too important has happened in my absence.

01-30-2012 02:27 AM
NightThoughts Offline

Trying out for an honor band today. Not sure how well I'll be able to play, but wish me luck...assuming anyone reads this thread at all. Nearly finished watching The Two Towers! Beautiful books, beautiful movies.

02-05-2012 01:39 AM
The Offline
The; Captain Obvious

Given 9 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

Just curious, what are your thoughts at night?

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\
02-05-2012 02:52 AM
NightThoughts Offline

My thoughts at night are usually concerning one of the following topics: How much I loathe school, whatever random fantasy book or potential book plot that comes to mind, or...wondering why I even bother to wake up in the morning if it's just school I'm waking up for. Or, morbidly, what people would say at my funeral. Always wanted to know people's honest opinion of me.

02-06-2012 02:43 AM
The Offline
The; Captain Obvious

Your funeral song

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2012 05:38 AM by The.)
02-06-2012 05:21 AM
The Offline
The; Captain Obvious

(02-06-2012 05:21 AM)The Wrote:  Your funeral song

02-06-2012 08:56 PM
NightThoughts Offline

Haha absolutely.

02-07-2012 06:14 AM
NightThoughts Offline

Didn't make it in. Ah well, life goes on. My troll of an English teacher (see another one of my threads) decided to assign a four paragraph essay when she knew-and stated to us- that we had a Social Studies project due the next day. And of course it's the day after the Super Bowl. Yeah, great timing. My Math teacher also decided to give us an "Integers for Dummies" assignment and I got the hardest topic: Subtraction. WHY?!

02-07-2012 08:09 AM
Sapphire Flames Offline
Pariah

Given 9 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

How is subtracting integers remotely hard?

"All Animals are equal, But some are more equal than others."
02-07-2012 09:47 AM
NightThoughts Offline

It's not hard per se, it just devours more time that I could be using to learn.

02-07-2012 11:53 AM
Sapphire Flames Offline
Pariah

Given 9 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Good point.

"All Animals are equal, But some are more equal than others."
02-07-2012 12:18 PM
NightThoughts Offline

Alright, just finished my math assignment. Thankfully it was an "Integers for Dummies" type thing so I could just use humor to fill the required word limit. Had fencing today. The older girl who helps out told me that she has a week's worth of homework from being out all of last week (duh) and that her Social Studies teacher bogs her down with projects and seems to be using medieval torture with her Middle Ages homework. I sympathize. Wish me luck on my Social Studies presentation tomorrow!

02-08-2012 11:04 AM
NightThoughts Offline

Light homework today. Thinking of skipping school tomorrow to go see an exhibit on Pompeii that leaves soon. Especially interesting since I take Latin. Unfortunately, my father might say that we can't go. I say, how much can one day's worth of work hurt a straight-A student with the whole weekend to finish? Guess no exhibit for me.

02-09-2012 09:30 AM
NightThoughts Offline

We did end up going. A blissful day away from school, with a relaxed time to learn, the ability to choose the subjects, and a treat of ice cream on the way home. School should be like that. What's your ideal school day, or way of being taught?

02-10-2012 08:26 AM
NightThoughts Offline

Ick. Babysitting for young kids and talkative older kids, both of whom irritate me. I'd like to spend my Friday evening in peace, quiet, and DC Universe Online. I have the strangest feeling that no one is reading this. What do you have to do, post angsty, rebellious, atheist stuff all the time?

02-11-2012 12:09 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

(02-11-2012 12:09 PM)NightThoughts Wrote:  Ick. Babysitting for young kids and talkative older kids, both of whom irritate me. I'd like to spend my Friday evening in peace, quiet, and DC Universe Online. I have the strangest feeling that no one is reading this. What do you have to do, post angsty, rebellious, atheist stuff all the time?
I just randomly read it in boredom. And babysitting sounds pretty lame, I guess. Are you doing it for money, or for your family?

[Image: glorious666.png]
02-11-2012 12:29 PM
NightThoughts Offline

Family.

02-11-2012 01:06 PM
NightThoughts Offline

If you live in Massachusetts or New Hampshire, you know that the past week was a vacation week. If not, I just told you. In any event, my family took a week-long ski trip. Of course, we didn't realize that there was no Wi-Fi in the cabin (not ours, but a friend's) and that there was absolutely no snow on the slopes. It started snowing on Friday, and stormed all Saturday. Awful wind, overcast sky, and hail. You know the winter storm drill. And of course today, when we got back, it was sunny and all the fresh snow was pristine. That's unfair, in my opinion.

During this week, my father just so happened to find my notebook, filled with notes on all my favorite fantasy creatures. Yes, I realize that I am a complete and utter nerd for even having that. He was convinced that I was going satanic or in league with the devil for most of the trip. I think and hope that he forgot. Being cooped up in the same little cabin/lift chair with my entire family made it slightly awkward.

Soon I will be sent to our church's youth group. I don't mind church too much, but youth group? Blech. The sermons there are boring, the games have forced participation, and the small group time is somewhat lacking for me. We have school tomorrow, so I'd really like to enjoy my evening. But no, we can't have a simple night at home to rest up after skiing the whole week. Sigh.

02-27-2012 08:55 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)

lol CREATIVITY IS THE DEVIL
02-27-2012 10:58 AM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

(02-27-2012 08:55 AM)NightThoughts Wrote:  If you live in Massachusetts or New Hampshire, you know that the past week was a vacation week. If not, I just told you. In any event, my family took a week-long ski trip. Of course, we didn't realize that there was no Wi-Fi in the cabin (not ours, but a friend's) and that there was absolutely no snow on the slopes. It started snowing on Friday, and stormed all Saturday. Awful wind, overcast sky, and hail. You know the winter storm drill. And of course today, when we got back, it was sunny and all the fresh snow was pristine. That's unfair, in my opinion.

During this week, my father just so happened to find my notebook, filled with notes on all my favorite fantasy creatures. Yes, I realize that I am a complete and utter nerd for even having that. He was convinced that I was going satanic or in league with the devil for most of the trip. I think and hope that he forgot. Being cooped up in the same little cabin/lift chair with my entire family made it slightly awkward.

Soon I will be sent to our church's youth group. I don't mind church too much, but youth group? Blech. The sermons there are boring, the games have forced participation, and the small group time is somewhat lacking for me. We have school tomorrow, so I'd really like to enjoy my evening. But no, we can't have a simple night at home to rest up after skiing the whole week. Sigh.
A prime example of why christianity is retarded.

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
02-27-2012 12:26 PM
NightThoughts Offline

(02-27-2012 12:26 PM)gore goroth Wrote:  
(02-27-2012 08:55 AM)NightThoughts Wrote:  If you live in Massachusetts or New Hampshire, you know that the past week was a vacation week. If not, I just told you. In any event, my family took a week-long ski trip. Of course, we didn't realize that there was no Wi-Fi in the cabin (not ours, but a friend's) and that there was absolutely no snow on the slopes. It started snowing on Friday, and stormed all Saturday. Awful wind, overcast sky, and hail. You know the winter storm drill. And of course today, when we got back, it was sunny and all the fresh snow was pristine. That's unfair, in my opinion.

A prime example of why christianity is retarded.

It's not so much Christianity as it is our youth group. Did you miss what we have to do there? That's why.

02-28-2012 07:02 AM
NightThoughts Offline

Gah! Why does my Control Panel keep sending me notices of new posts in threads, when I was the most recent poster? It drives me crazier than I already am.

Right then. Back to the purpose of this blog. Anyone else have ideas as to why parents don't seem to listen when their kids say that they hate school? Do tell me if this isn't the case for your parents; mine have disregarded all my collected literature and examples of how our school system is failing. And (I may have asked this question before) does anyone even read this blog of mine?

Question of the week (or however long I feel like keeping it up): Does your school force you to take classes but calls them electives?

02-28-2012 07:09 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)

because you can choose what you are forced to do LOL
02-28-2012 07:52 AM
NightThoughts Offline

Not what I meant. Our school, for example, has a Technology Education class that is termed an elective but that everyone has to take.

02-28-2012 08:43 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Generic Blog Thread The Desert Fox 62 5,763 11-17-2011 02:05 PM
Last Post: The Desert Fox
  This thread: It is a blog. Desu 10 2,334 02-15-2011 11:32 AM
Last Post: Desu