RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I should be allowed to do what I NEED.
fish20 Offline
Penguins are birds

Given 32 thank(s) in 25 post(s)
I should be allowed to do what I NEED.

I've been wanting to become a game designer ever since I was 8. Its stupid how just because some people don't know what they want to do when they leave school means I have to sit through biology and algebra 2 etc. because other people MIGHT become scientists. Basic education should be able to stop after 8th grade if you know what you want to do. It should just be like college. High school is so pointless, its just tacked on advanced stuff that most people won't need at all. Elementary school is okay because it teaches people how to read and they actually do fun stuff in early years, but high school is a waste of time. If I could stay home and make games for 4 years before going to college I would have so much more experience, and if I created some big game like Cave Story or Minecraft or Braid etc. then I wouldn't even need a high school diploma or degree to make money.
01-21-2012 12:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)
RE: I should be allowed to do what I NEED.

learn visual basic C++ and C# for da gamez
01-21-2012 01:13 PM
fish20 Offline
Penguins are birds

school is wasting time with bullshit so it'll take longer.
01-21-2012 01:14 PM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

(01-21-2012 01:14 PM)Fish Wrote:  school is wasting time with bullshit so it'll take longer.

You should be able to take Visual basic in HS, also maybe a graphic design class ( you can pick up some good ctrl functions to make life easier)
01-21-2012 01:16 PM
fish20 Offline
Penguins are birds

(01-21-2012 01:16 PM)SaintVicious Wrote:  
(01-21-2012 01:14 PM)Fish Wrote:  school is wasting time with bullshit so it'll take longer.

You should be able to take Visual basic in HS, also maybe a graphic design class ( you can pick up some good ctrl functions to make life easier)

They don't have programming classes, and I have to take some stupid Keyboarding computer class (which I pretty much already took in 7th grade but apparently that didn't count.) which you learn common sense computer stuff that everyone already knows in order to take graphic design. But I also can't do that because next year I have to take a mandatory health class, spanish 2, and this band which I don't want to ge out of. And I cant take it this year because I have to take bullshit career class (which I pretty much already took in 7th grade) and some really pointless leadership skill class which is such a fucking waste of time and you learn nothing.
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2012 01:25 PM by fish20.)
01-21-2012 01:23 PM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

easy classes free GPA bro
01-21-2012 01:25 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

Should he learn C++ and make his own engine or just use another like CryEngine or UE and just buy the license when he's done?

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
01-21-2012 02:34 PM
fish20 Offline
Penguins are birds

(01-21-2012 02:34 PM)Efs Wrote:  Should he learn C++ and make his own engine or just use another like CryEngine or UE and just buy the license when he's done?

Lol make my own engine? There's a reason engines are millions of dollars for companies like Epic Games and Crytek, because they're fucking impossible to make unless you have a big team of experienced programmers and a lot of time and money.
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2012 02:46 PM by fish20.)
01-21-2012 02:43 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

(01-21-2012 02:43 PM)Fish Wrote:  
(01-21-2012 02:34 PM)Efs Wrote:  Should he learn C++ and make his own engine or just use another like CryEngine or UE and just buy the license when he's done?

Lol make my own engine? There's a reason engines are millions of dollars, because they're fucking impossible to make unless you have a big team of experienced programmers and a lot of time and money.

I thought so :|
The game industry is hard to get into, and a role as a Game Designer is one you have to work your way up to and usually not a job you fall straight in to.

01-21-2012 02:46 PM
fish20 Offline
Penguins are birds

(01-21-2012 02:46 PM)Efs Wrote:  

Lol make my own engine? There's a reason engines are millions of dollars, because they're fucking impossible to make unless you have a big team of experienced programmers and a lot of time and money.

The game industry is hard to get into, and a role as a Game Designer is one you have to work your way up to and usually not a job you fall straight in to.

Yeah but for Indie games its not impossible, just look at Nifilas, he made Cave Story in 5 years all by himself and hes making lots of money on WiiWare and DSiWare, and that guy that made Minecraft is a millionare.
01-21-2012 02:48 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

(01-21-2012 02:48 PM)Fish Wrote:  

Yeah but for Indie games its not impossible, just look at Nifilas, he made Cave Story in 5 years all by himself and hes making lots of money on WiiWare and DSiWare, and that guy that made Minecraft is a millionare.
Oh well fair enough if you wanna go indie.
I'm just saying some people want to be a game designer and expect an AAA+ game with their name on it lol
What software will you be using?

01-21-2012 04:20 PM
fish20 Offline
Penguins are birds

(01-21-2012 04:20 PM)Efs Wrote:  

I'm just saying some people want to be a game designer and expect an AAA+ game with their name on it lol
Probably Multimedia Fusion 2 because it has exporters to Flash/Android/Ios/EXE, I'm used to using it, and it doesn't need elite programming skills.

But I mean only for the time being, I do want to work for a company and do the triple A thing, but for now I'm in school.
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2012 05:04 PM by fish20.)
01-21-2012 05:03 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

(01-21-2012 05:03 PM)Fish Wrote:  
(01-21-2012 04:20 PM)Efs Wrote:  
(01-21-2012 02:43 PM)Fish Wrote:  Lol make my own engine? There's a reason engines are millions of dollars, because they're fucking impossible to make unless you have a big team of experienced programmers and a lot of time and money.

Probably Multimedia Fusion 2 because it has exporters to Flash/Android/Ios/EXE, I'm used to using it, and it doesn't need elite programming skills.

But I mean only for the time being, I do want to work for a company and do the triple A thing, but for now I'm in school.
Hmm I might use that if I need it.
But I'm going to do some FPS and RPG games.
So I need 3d engine >.<

01-21-2012 06:06 PM
aCol Offline
Distiller of hate

Given 20 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

Lol make my own engine? There's a reason engines are millions of dollars for companies like Epic Games and Crytek, because they're fucking impossible to make unless you have a big team of experienced programmers and a lot of time and money.

That is a fucking lie. You CAN make a game engine on your own. It isn't easy, but possible. The difference, however, is HUGE, compared to CryTek's engine or the unreal or whatosever.
Also, we should talk more about making games, I'd enjoy it too.

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2012 06:25 AM by aCol.)
01-22-2012 06:24 AM
flann Offline
Revolutionary

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

I want to be a game designer too but no classes until college.

So i'm wasting 4 years of my life just doing nothing

War is stupid.
01-22-2012 02:05 PM
fish20 Offline
Penguins are birds

(01-22-2012 06:24 AM)aCol Wrote:  

That is a fucking lie. You CAN make a game engine on your own. It isn't easy, but possible. The difference, however, is HUGE, compared to CryTek's engine or the unreal or whatosever.
Also, we should talk more about making games, I'd enjoy it too.

Yeah, but I meant why should I make an engine if it can't even closely compare to Cryengine 3 and Unreal which cost lots of money make.
01-22-2012 02:32 PM
M3116 Offline
I and I

Given 5 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Yeah or they should offer actually useful classes like finances and stuff, and not have requirements for graduation just because a percentage of students want to use their state-required education to get accepted into an actual university. You should choose your classes. And choose the classes you don't take, so that you have actual time to pursue your life activities. And your performance should reflect that too. Like if you're brilliant in engineering the slags can't make you take English. And who the hell says you have to stay in school until 16? What about the dipshits that don't want to be there and just lower everything for themselves and those that do? They both lose. It's the reason you have to stay a minor until 18, and that causes more problems. And then the central elitists who think they're qualified to operate the system decide to insert their idiot deductions ie, well now that we have them all gathered up they SHOULD be getting x amount of exercise and learn useless sports too thus PE is a graduation requirement. I have news- not everyone has to have a job. In fact it needs to be that way. Otherwise it's Marxism all over again. So why does everyone have a state sanctioned education from a certain point onward, and why is it organized by age?
01-22-2012 03:15 PM