RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Keeping Good Attendance Worth It??
EnemyOfTheState Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)
Is Keeping Good Attendance Worth It??

I mean common people. we all have had those mornings where you feel groggy and exhausted and truly just don't feel like getting up for school. I personally just go back to sleep not really giving a fuck about what i had to do that day in school, although my mom goes ape shit when she sees that i didn't go to school for a to her "stupid" reason as not feeling rested enough. There are points where she even tells me to go to school at 11-12:00.

Let me break it down for you:

Me: i believe i have a sleeping disorder. or just like the night or the peaceful feeling knowing that I can be left alone at night because everyone is sleeping. i really don't know....

My High School Starts: 7:30 am

My High School Ends: 2:00 pm

Amount of People That Have to Use the Bathroom In the Morning In My House: 2 (excluding me)

Time I have to Wake Up to get the Bathroom Time: 5:30 am

Time My Mom makes Me Go to School When Late: 11-12:00. <------ wtf is the point of that. I'm gonna go to school during lunch and only have 2 periods left. then go back home.....and get yelled at more...

So Tell me. Is keeping your attendance really THAT important. I also get very stressed from school sometimes and Skip to cool off. Like walk around my city and go to a cafe and chill.
THANKS FOR READING Smile

[Image: adventure_time_signature_by_solidmetal-d328ime.png]
12-09-2010 06:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)
Re: Is Keeping Good Attendance Worth It??

Reason why school tries to keep attendance is because they get paid on whether you're there or not or if you make it late it reflects bad on them and the school district gets paid less.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
12-09-2010 07:58 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

If you miss more than 10 days or some shit, then you don't get credit for the semester. Woot!

You might natually be nocturnal. Some people are, and going against your circadian rhythm can cause depression.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
12-09-2010 08:08 AM
EnemyOfTheState Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Prince Rilian Wrote:You might naturally be nocturnal. Some people are, and going against your circadian rhythm can cause depression.

i really don't know what's wrong with me. i just seem to be calmer at night, so i have just adapted to not sleeping and enjoying the night rather than sleeping it away and waking up to a 5:30 am loud ass buzzer alarm. maybe it's because when everybody is sleeping in my house at night, nobody is nagging or pestering me to do more and more work. i can just brew up some all natural hot chocolate (because it's cold in NY now) and just sit in my room and think. i don't know but during the day i'm just so flustered and scattered in school it becomes harmful to my Health (when i over work my Asthma acts up BAD). Maybe I'm weird. i seem to have those Asthma stress breakdowns often. but my Mom says it's just because I'm Lazy and my body will just have to adapt to working all the time. and no she has not sent me to a doctor to look into this deeper.....

[Image: adventure_time_signature_by_solidmetal-d328ime.png]
12-09-2010 08:25 AM
genuine anarchist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

^You're not abnormal. Research shows that teens are more nocturnal, and we have different sleep cycles. We tend to sleep later and start the day later; the problem is the school won't let us start the day later. It's weird puberty shit.

I have the same problem. I stay up late because at night, no one hogs the computer so I can go on here and spend hours on these forums, I can eat dinner in peace, and the house is quieter (excluding the occassional neighbor fight or psychopath wandering the neighborhood.) Even if I can sleep earlier, I won't. I don't take naps, and I get 5-6 hours of sleep a night. It scares me to death because I still have to wake up early and drive my brother to school as well as concentrate in classes I don't fucking need.

But to answer your question, no, keeping good attendance isn't worth it, but it's the law. Walk outs are illegal, and schools are going batshit insane to make sure you're there for the required amount of days. It's a fucking waste of time; most of my classes include the teacher yelling at students and telling them to do pointless work which I already finished, but for some reason I can't do anything else except read the textbook. There's so much I could accomplish if I weren't forced by law to waste so much time in that classroom watching other kids do the homework I managed to do during my free period. I'm not allowed to read different books, draw, or use a computer to work on my site. I have to sit there and can't use the restroom, and I get tired from it. If I could exercise more, I'd be happy, but I'm too damned tired by the end of the day all I want to do is go home and nap. I fall asleep during my last class and then go home and realize I either have to go to work or kickboxing class...but the system isn't going to change for something as petty as our health. Uhoh
12-10-2010 02:44 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

genuine anarchist Wrote:But to answer your question, no, keeping good attendance isn't worth it, but it's the law.
So the fuck what. What are they going to do about it if you don't show up? Probably not a god damned thing. I used to just not go sometimes, and nothing happened.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

12-10-2010 03:19 PM
genuine anarchist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Prince Rilian Wrote:
genuine anarchist Wrote:But to answer your question, no, keeping good attendance isn't worth it, but it's the law.
So the fuck what. What are they going to do about it if you don't show up? Probably not a god damned thing. I used to just not go sometimes, and nothing happened.

In many states, if you have many unexcused absences, your parents are notified. If your attedance doesn't improve, your parent can get fined. In some cases, you'll be dragged to juvenile court and be made to pay a fine and attend some juvenlie schooling program. I browsed Texas' education laws since they came up first in Google.
12-11-2010 10:50 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

genuine anarchist Wrote:
Prince Rilian Wrote:

In many states, if you have many unexcused absences, your parents are notified. If your attedance doesn't improve, your parent can get fined. In some cases, you'll be dragged to juvenile court and be made to pay a fine and attend some juvenlie schooling program. I browsed Texas' education laws since they came up first in Google.

Texas is where I went to most of my school. I was in VA for 3 semesters in elementary school, but other than that I was in texas. I went to school most days but often skipped 1st period and all that happened was I didn't credit for that semester. w/e. I think there's something like, if you just go there at 10:00, then you can leave, and you are counted as present for the day for government records. That's why my mom used to only take me to school at 10:00 instead of 7:45.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

12-11-2010 02:07 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  School computers keeping children safe .Manicrose. 65 15,812 10-31-2011 04:07 PM
Last Post: Efs
  I wish attendance wasn't such serious business. Drowzee64 17 3,651 09-30-2010 01:49 AM
Last Post: Oukami_Ryuu
  Is this even WORTH any good advice? Xalainu 19 2,353 06-09-2010 12:14 AM
Last Post: Xalainu
  Attendance and 'Truanting' laser 13 2,233 03-22-2010 09:04 AM
Last Post: Leon Kinotolian
  Good attendance Matters (Propaganda) The Apathy 5 1,700 11-03-2008 06:40 AM
Last Post: Elfy