RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. Send me a message if you'd like to keep in touch with me & Steve.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
Take your life seriously dammit
Jesusaurisrex Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 15 post(s)
Take your life seriously dammit

This was originally intended to be a response to that "is there any argument to take your life seriously" thread where stadium spammed his pretentious "smoke weed nothing matters" bullshit, then it got really long and serious, and then my computer crashed twice and I made the effort to recall the page and copy everything, save it, then restore my computer so it could be said. This is fucking important for everyone. You want an argument? here is your fucking argument

It makes me sad everyone wants to give up so easy because "it won't matter in the end". Everything matters in the end. The fucked up world we live in is the result of people pretending that what we do does not matter, it has led to generations of people giving up and sitting down, while brutes and assholes rise to power. Your life sucks because the people before you stopped giving a fuck and left a squandering world full of hate, apathy, and misfortune. The computer you are using now, the hot showers you take, and your freedom of speech, are all the marks of men who worked hard in life and accomplished something that would change the world forever. Because you don't care, some other dickhead will bully his way into doing what you did not care enough to do. Instead of fighting for freedom, they will fight for money. Instead of fighting for peace, they will fight for power. Instead of fighting for liberty, they will fight for control

Things like the NDAA, PIPA, SOPA, The Patriot Act, Iraq Wars, and countless other things happened, and are happening, because people like you sat on their ass instead of making a difference. The blood and freedom of millions are on your hands, because people like you just said "fuck it, life is too hard"

Life is NOT hard, it's just really fucking persistent, and you need to learn to bat away all the shit that comes at you. Your willpower is a muscle that needs to be worked to become stronger, and the more bullshit you let get to you, the weaker your willpower will become. If you don't stay strong, your passive behavior will leak into every aspect of your life. It will spread to your lifestyle, your work, your motivation, everything that makes you who you are will be slowly whittled away until you are the most wicked of men, not more than a man, but less. And likewise, you need to have your heart more open to the better things in life. None of you ever fucking appreciate how fucking great it is to be healthy. It took almost dying, a month in the hospital, surgery, physical therapy just to learn how to smile again, and recovering from addiction to finally realize how fucking great it is to be alive, not to suffer, but live. and it's ridiculous that I had to go through that much just to realize it, and I want all of you to learn from my suffering:

Life is not just worth surviving, it's worth living. Think about this: you are the product of billions of years of luck. The result of thousands of stars exploding, not just in this galaxy, but this entire realm of existence. You are the sum of the universe, and one of only a few couple bits of matter to achieve intelligence. You are a god in your own right, and it would be a goddamn shame if you wasted the incredible coincidence that is your life. You have the ability to shape the world around you, and you better fucking do it. You and the people around you are more important than you could ever imagine.

Fuck, even if you can't make a difference in the world in your lifetime, or even after, you can ALWAYS make a difference in someone else's world. You can ALWAYS be a good person. Never under estimate the power of your actions, one random act of kindness can give someone the determination to do something with their life, one act of defiance can topple nations, and one word can lead to a lifetime of happiness.

School sucks, but you can carry through, hell even ace your way to the top if you have the determination to do so. It's a pain in the ass but just because it's not fair, just, or logical, does not mean you should give up and drop out. You grab it by the throat and beat it until you succeed. And when you finish, people will look up at you as a god. Look at school as a challenge, a mountain to climb on the great road of life. You don't just sit your life down on this side of the mountain, this side of the mountain sucks, fuck this side of the mountain. There might be a fucking paradise on the other side, but you will never know until you climb it. There may be mountains on the other side, but you know what? fuck those mountains too. Don't stop until you reach your fucking paradise, a place where you are happy, strong, loved, looked up to... goddamn you could have it all. but not here, not by standing around waiting for something good. March your ass wherever you want to be no matter how hard it is, and help every fucking person you meet along the way. They will probably be just as lost as you are, and could use just as much help as you could along the way. You could maybe even find the perfect person to travel with and march towards that perfect place. That, my friends, is called love, and it's more important than the journey itself. But you won't find love or your perfect place if you park your ass in every rut you come across, so get off your sad, pathetic moping asses and become a fucking tribute to the miracle of your existence. Help yourself, help others, and help the world around you instead of giving up. Do whatever you fucking want, and become whoever you want to be.
You are not a fatass, or skinny fuck, or a poor loser, or an ugly bitch, or an unsuccessful twat, or stupid, a failure, or any other stupid shit. Whatever fucked up sense of identity you have, it's a fucking lie you tell yourself to excuse all the stupid shit you do... or don't do. Stop lying to yourself. This is your life, don't trade guilty pleasures for a dream. Work hard, and finish everything you started.

There you go. Now stop fucking around and live your goddamn life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmXMA34CeoQ
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2012 06:00 PM by Jesusaurisrex.)
01-18-2012 05:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Rule_BreakerXVIII , vonunov
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1979 thank(s) in 1209 post(s)
RE: Take your life seriously dammit

Epic win. I need to make this more prominent somehow.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
01-18-2012 06:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

Fucking saved. This shit is legit, seriously. Everyone keeps saying "nothing matters." What the fuck is that supposed to mean? Were you expecting there to be some magical creature to tell you what matters? Fuck that, we ARE what matters. This world IS what matters. Fucking listen to the Op. He knows his shit homes. Magical fairies be damned, we need no god to have meaningfulness.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
01-18-2012 06:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
alexander144 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Agreed. Too many emofags these days, shits me.
01-18-2012 06:41 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

inb4 Zagix and Sociopath.

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
01-18-2012 09:07 PM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

Those are exactly the reasons why life shouldn't be taken seriously. Just enjoy it, don't get bad blood over not fighting da powah or anything silly like that. Because no matter how fucked things seem to be at the core, everything is just all right as it is.

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
01-18-2012 09:45 PM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

A+ thread

jesus you are winner
01-18-2012 10:35 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

Dat shit deep bro +1
01-18-2012 10:41 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

(01-18-2012 09:45 PM)Faby Wrote:  Those are exactly the reasons why life shouldn't be taken seriously. Just enjoy it, don't get bad blood over not fighting da powah or anything silly like that. Because no matter how fucked things seem to be at the core, everything is just all right as it is.

That too.

Take life seriously and unseriously all at the same time... ... I think we are using the word 'serious' in different contexts or something... this sounds confusing. Razz

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
01-18-2012 10:46 PM
 Thanks given by: Avatar Korra
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

Man I'm just waiting for the day when we have cool technology like virtual reality gaming, cures to most diseases, enhancements that can make us run super fast super long, etc. It would be cool if we had even more control over our world and ourselves. Sometimes I think we're taking longer than we need to...I mean are most of these things really impossible right now?

Think about steam engines, the first one appeared a few thousand years ago, but it took ages to do anything useful with steam engines. Maybe all sorts of cool tech is already possible but people aren't used to the idea.
01-18-2012 11:01 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Jesus wants to tell people how to live their life.
I thought you were suffering from conditions or something and this isn't voices so I can be as much of a dick as possible.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
01-19-2012 12:44 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

Bookmarked this one.

Previously known as Derchin.
01-19-2012 01:22 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)

tldr life too hard
good shit rex worth of t rex swag
01-19-2012 01:25 AM
Jesusaurisrex Offline
Fanatic

Rainbow RE: Take your life seriously dammit

(01-18-2012 09:45 PM)Faby Wrote:  Just enjoy it, don't get bad blood over not fighting da powah or anything silly like that. Because no matter how fucked things seem to be at the core, everything could be better if you put the effort in to make it so.

fixed. You can be satisfied with the world as is and that's fine and dandy, but it could always be better. Waiting for your world to fix itself is like never cleaning your house in hopes that some day someone will clean it for you.

Quote:Take life seriously and unseriously all at the same time... ... I think we are using the word 'serious' in different contexts or something... this sounds confusing

I would have used "casually", "open minded" and "with an open heart" instead of "unseriously". Not everything is serious business, but you can't just start reacting like that as a coping mechanism or it will sink in to every aspect of your life. Morality, fiber, strength, everything could become just "meh" given the right mixture of time and apathy

Quote:Man I'm just waiting for the day when we have cool technology like virtual reality gaming, cures to most diseases, enhancements that can make us run super fast super long, etc. It would be cool if we had even more control over our world and ourselves. Sometimes I think we're taking longer than we need to...I mean are most of these things really impossible right now?

Why wait? the technology exists to make all this shit. They have tv headsets AND cameras that can detect your body, why don't you combine that shit? then make a suit with pistons all over it to boot? Too hard? Educate yourself motherfucker, figure out how this shit works and make it. Every moment you wait for something better is a moment you are not making something better

Quote:Jesus wants to tell people how to live their life

I think its weird too, does not mean what I said is not applicable. I feel obligated to say I feel like a hypocrite, but I don't, given how far I have come despite all setbacks

Quote:I thought you were suffering from conditions or something

still am to some degree, I need several pills just to take a shit but I'm still alive. Despite the dean insisting I drop out of school for medical reasons back in August, I'm at school again, and pre-med to boot. As well as getting off my heavily medicated ass and working out in hopes that I can gain back the 20 pounds I lost in the hospital. I feel pretty proud of myself really.

01-19-2012 02:54 AM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Wanting to improve something or make something better implies you judge the current state of things, and judgement always creates, at least in my experience, a lot of bad feelings and generally ugly juju.

I'm all for expanding and experiencing new things, and states which could be described as "better" or "improved", but improving is a goal that starts in all the wrong places.

~~

Perhaps there is no end.
01-19-2012 03:06 AM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

This trooper deserves a medal.
[Image: Medal_of_Honor.jpg]
Holy shit, Jesusaurus is right. We all do need to get off our asses, every one of us.

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
01-19-2012 03:18 AM
Jesusaurisrex Offline
Fanatic

(01-19-2012 03:06 AM)Faby Wrote:  Wanting to improve something or make something better implies you judge the current state of things, and judgement always creates, at least in my experience, a lot of bad feelings and generally ugly juju.

Always improve yourself so you can deal with situations in the future. I never said you place the mountains on the road of life, only that you should be ready, willing, and able to climb them

01-19-2012 03:19 AM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

(01-19-2012 03:19 AM)Jesusaurisrex Wrote:  
(01-19-2012 03:06 AM)Faby Wrote:  Wanting to improve something or make something better implies you judge the current state of things, and judgement always creates, at least in my experience, a lot of bad feelings and generally ugly juju.

Always improve yourself so you can deal with situations in the future. I never said you place the mountains on the road of life, only that you should be ready, willing, and able to climb them

You should write a book.

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
01-19-2012 03:21 AM
Faby Offline
work in progress

In that case, improvement comes naturally. Or so I feel.

I'm not going to write much else here since I am (and have steadily been becoming) a more spiritual person, and our views would clash, and I'm not going through the effort of arguing and defending my views since it would be pointless.

At any rate, your OP had some good points, and some bad, but overall it's a balanced, inspiring read, and a worthwhile contribution.

~~

Perhaps there is no end.
01-19-2012 03:25 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:Wanting to improve something or make something better implies you judge the current state of things, and judgement always creates, at least in my experience, a lot of bad feelings and generally ugly juju.
It doesn't have to be negative. If you're excited about the changes instead of feeling bad about the current state of things, then I don't see a problem.

Hidden stuff:
01-19-2012 04:25 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

(01-19-2012 03:21 AM)gore goroth Wrote:  
(01-19-2012 03:19 AM)Jesusaurisrex Wrote:  

You should write a book.

The Teachings of Jesusaurisrex- A History

01-19-2012 06:29 AM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

tl;dr
I never asked for an argument, I just wanted a reason. And things that I find deserve to be cared about, I will care about. My post wasn't about life in general, just things that have been happening in my life.
And if you really think that what you do matters at all, you're deluding yourself.

No, this is Patrick.
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2012 07:13 AM by Stadium.)
01-19-2012 06:38 AM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

OP IS A GURU!

Good thing for me I already generally follow this philosophy.

You don't know how many people I have gotten to support the crusade against things like SOPA and NDAA. It isn't hard. Facebook makes it easy as fuck and being friendly and charismatic. Also passionate.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
01-19-2012 06:50 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

(01-19-2012 06:38 AM)StadiumArcadium Wrote:  And if you really think that what you do matters at all, you're deluding yourself.

It does, even if you don't see it or refuse to.

01-19-2012 08:16 AM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Explain why it matters. You realize that eventually the universe won't even be here anymore right? Everyone you know will die...your kids, your kids' kids, they will all die. Thinking what we do matters is just a delusion to make you feel important. The truth is, we're nothing.

No, this is Patrick.
01-19-2012 08:19 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

It matters because we're here now and what people do now influences everyone else.

01-19-2012 08:26 AM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Sure, I'm not a complete asshole, I try to help people around me as much as I can, but when you look at the big picture, it doesn't really matter.

No, this is Patrick.
01-19-2012 08:27 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

It matters to them.

01-19-2012 08:42 AM
fish20 Offline
Penguins are birds

Given 32 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

OMG I HAVE TO CHANGE THE WORLD AND BE FAMOUS AND RICH AND CURE CANCER! I CANT JUST BE HAPPY, I HAVE TO DO THESE THINGS!
01-19-2012 08:43 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

No ones telling you to do these things. You're missing his point.

01-19-2012 08:45 AM