RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new WikiLeaks” revolts against Assange
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)
A new WikiLeaks” revolts against Assange

Quote:The pressure on WikiLeaks is increasing. DN.se reveals that several key figures behind the website that publishes anonymous submissions and leaks of sensitive governmental, corporate, organizational or religious documents have resigned in protest against the controversial leader Julian Assange only to launch a new service for the so-called whistleblowers. The goal: to leak sensitive information to the public.

The new project, “Openleaks,” has been under way for some time and will be launched Monday. DN.se has spoken to individuals behind the new site and the message is clear.

“Our long term goal is to build a strong, transparent platform to support whistleblowers--both in terms of technology and politics--while at the same time encouraging others to start similar projects,” says a colleague wishing to remain anonymous.
Annons:

”As a short-term goal, this is about completing the technical infrastructure and ensuring that the organization continues to be democratically governed by all its members, rather than limited to one group or individual.”

The news comes in turbulent times for WikiLeaks. Thousands of documents infuriating global leaders and policy-makers have been unveiled to the public via Cablegate. Meanwhile, Julian Assange has been arrested in Great Britain on suspected rape charges based in Sweden. News about WikiLeaks has been over-shadowed by Assange's personal problems.

Earlier this year, WikiLeaks experienced accessibility issues. According to information revealed to DN.se, the problem was not linked to outsiders trying to sabotage, but came from the inside as a signal to Julian Assange to step down. The colleagues were dissatisfied with the operation's association with Assange's personal problems and how he used the organization in his explanation of the criminal charges.

It is the top-down management style which is under critique.

On the other hand, the DN.se source emphasizes the fact that the new website is supportive of WikiLeaks purpose and goal.

“The two organizations are similar in that aspect that both are focusing on providing means for whistleblowers to anonymously provide the public with information,” one insider says.

Unlike WikiLeaks, Openleaks will not receive and publish information directly for the public eye. Instead, other organizations will access the Openleaks system and in turn, present their audience with the material. Documents will be processed and published by various collaborating organizations.

“We intend to split the work in a way where we handle only the anonymity and receiving end of the information,” says another colleague.

According to the internal documents shared with DN.se, Openleaks intends to establish itself as a neutral intermediary ”without a political agenda except from the dissemination of information to the media, the public, non-profit organizations, trade- and union organizations and other participating groups.”

“All editorial control and responsibility rests with the publishing organization. We will, as far as possible, take the role of the messenger between the whistleblower and the organization the whistleblower is trying to cooperate with,” says one anonymous informant.
Another intended consequence is to avoid the pressure from world leaders that WikiLeaks has experienced.

“As a result of our intention not to publish any document directly and in our own name, we do not expect to experience the kind of political pressure which WikiLeaks is under at this time. In that aspect, it is quite interesting to see how little of politicians' anger seems directed at the newspapers using WikiLeaks sources.”

http://www.dn.se/nyheter/varlden/a-new- ... -1.1224764

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
12-10-2010 11:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)
Re: A new WikiLeaks” revolts against Assange

Not that big of an issue really. I don't think it will cripple wikileaks, and who knows... It could turn out to be a good thing.

Although, I support the political stance of wikileaks and I'd much rather see their organization continue.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
12-10-2010 12:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pieman Offline
Pie Deity

Given 28 thank(s) in 23 post(s)

I may be missing something, but I don't get it - why don't those two Swedish women that he supposedly "raped", come and testify for or against Assange, and tell everybody what really happened? Then we wouldn't have all this confusion and political uproar. In my opinion, this "New WikiLeaks" doesn't seem like a bad thing, but is it really necessary? I mean, how many documents can they get their hands on? And can they honestly say they'd be able to do the kind of job WikiLeaks does? Blah..it all just seems arbitrary.

" I never knew until that moment how bad it could hurt to lose something you never really had. " ~From the television show The Wonder Years
12-10-2010 02:31 PM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

HeartofShadows Wrote:
Quote:The pressure on WikiLeaks is increasing. DN.se reveals that several key figures ... have resigned in protest against the controversial leader Julian Assange only to launch a new service for the so-called whistleblowers. The goal: to leak sensitive information to the public.

CALLED IT!

People don't walk off the job over one incident. And they certainly don't go and create a competive website over it. Think about it, wiki leaks has 300+ domain names registered to prevent the informtion from being taken off the web. There is no reason to create Open Leaks other to serve as a giant middle finger to Assange.
12-10-2010 03:46 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Ayliana Wrote:CALLED IT!

People don't walk off the job over one incident. And they certainly don't go and create a competive website over it. Think about it, wiki leaks has 300+ domain names registered to prevent the informtion from being taken off the web. There is no reason to create Open Leaks other to serve as a giant middle finger to Assange.

Calm down. Rolleyes

Yes you may be right..

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
12-10-2010 04:05 PM
Aya Offline
Banned

oh noes dd i mak 2wo tipows? Iz sori Wink

i stil caled it tho Banana
12-10-2010 04:15 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

Ayliana Wrote:CALLED IT!

Who cares? Why should we care about the internal political struggles within wikileaks?

It makes no difference whether Wikileaks had a damn civil war, wikileaks needs to be protected from censorship.
12-10-2010 05:08 PM
Aya Offline
Banned

psychopath Wrote:Who cares? Why should we care about the internal political struggles within wikileaks?

It makes no difference whether Wikileaks had a damn civil war, wikileaks needs to be protected from censorship.

Because those internal political struggles can hasten the fall of the organization. 'United we stand divided we fall'. No organization can achieve it's goals in the midst of polical infighting. What little it does achieve tends to be half hazard and sloppy.

You talk about protecting wiki leaks. Tell me, how can you protect something that's being from the inside out?

You should care alot about this.
12-10-2010 05:32 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

Ayliana Wrote:You talk about protecting wiki leaks. Tell me, how can you protect something that's being from the inside out?

You should care alot about this.

Well if it fails from within then it's a result of it's collective incompetence, we can't really do much about that unless we were influential members within wikileaks, something everyone can do is fight censorship.
12-10-2010 05:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Slavoj Zizek and David Horowitz on Julian Assange's "The World Tomorrow" I Must Enter a Username 1 1,221 06-09-2014 10:02 AM
Last Post: Absnt
  Julian Assange plans to run for Australian Senate! Efs 2 1,416 03-19-2012 01:30 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  Wikileaks US Agreed to Reveal UK’s Nuclear Secrets HeartofShadows 2 1,343 02-08-2011 01:52 AM
Last Post: aaaaaaasd
  Iceland may ban MasterCard, Visa over WikiLeaks censorship HeartofShadows 15 2,194 12-22-2010 03:48 AM
Last Post: The Desert Fox
  Assange got out. Absnt 11 1,617 12-21-2010 03:48 AM
Last Post: HeartofShadows
  Calls for Assange to be killed psychopath 6 1,751 12-15-2010 03:18 AM
Last Post: SaintVicious
  It's time to help wikileaks. Absnt 11 2,274 12-12-2010 12:04 PM
Last Post: The Desert Fox
  Hackers strike at MasterCard to support WikiLeaks HeartofShadows 3 1,602 12-09-2010 04:52 PM
Last Post: psychopath
  Julian Assange arrested aaaaaaasd 16 2,516 12-08-2010 09:53 PM
Last Post: Sunbourn
  The noose tightens around WikiLeaks' Assange HeartofShadows 29 3,275 12-06-2010 08:28 PM
Last Post: HeartofShadows