RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Social Groups/Cliques?
Mælstrom Offline
GIVE ME LEEBERTY, OR GIVE ME DEATH

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)
Social Groups/Cliques?

Do you find them relevant, stereotypical, or just idiotic? IMO, I think that they create unnecessary barriers, and create prejudice and feuds. You?

If you're reading this, I killed myself.
12-29-2011 04:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Shurpeh Offline
Rebel

Given 17 thank(s) in 10 post(s)
RE: Social Groups/Cliques?

Social groups are pretty fucking retarded. If you talk to someone outside of your "group" it's a huge fucking deal and the world ends. There's nothing wrong with having a bunch of friends from different "groups" but people make it sound so horrible.
Fortunately for me, the school I'm in now is so small that there aren't really any social groups. You can be friends with whoever without any problems.

Of course, there's still the girls that transfered recently who used to be the "amazing super uber popular group" and they still have that same mentality, so they have their stupid little group and absolutely refuse to talk to anyone else >.>
12-29-2011 04:56 AM
.Manicrose. Offline
CODSWALLOP

Given 16 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

Lol in my school they disappear after 8th grade or so, or at least everyone isn't as uptight about the rules. 5th grade is when they begin to form. I could probably research how compulsory schooling, being forced into the same classes with people you have nothing in common with, etc, forms cliques.

Go to work. Send your kids to school. Follow fashion. Act normal. Walk on the pavement. Watch TV. Save for your old age. Obey the law. Repeat after me: "I am free."

Hidden stuff:
12-29-2011 05:04 AM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

Yeah it's so fucking stupid!
I don't have a group, I just have a small group of friends, but we talk and hang out with other people too...
EDIT: If I don't have a group but have a small group that's still a group lol i retard.

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2012 09:23 PM by Efs.)
12-29-2011 12:30 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

I don't remember this really happening until middle school, 7th grade. And it's really just people hanging out with their friends. IME anyway. When I was in high school, I spent a lot of my time with the same people. There was at least one group of so-called "popular" people, but most of them were not nice. A mother of one of the bitchy popular kids once told me that to be popular is to go places and do things. But, I told her, her son would never invite me anywhere, period. Still, I think it's just because we didn't have anything in common. I don't know, I never felt that I was excluding people, I never looked down on someone for not being in my "group". And I got along with most people in class just fine.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
12-29-2011 08:37 PM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

They appear because the school environment is completely unnatural. It is a self-preservation method. Yes, they are stupid but they are caused by school.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
12-30-2011 01:11 AM
Mælstrom Offline

Alright, thanks for the replies. I just posted this because I've been branded as a social outcast at my school, and am desperate for friendship.Self-pity is never a good thing to fall into, but no one listens to me.

12-30-2011 03:11 AM
thefrustrated Offline
Renegade

Given 3 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

(12-30-2011 03:11 AM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Alright, thanks for the replies. I just posted this because I've been branded as a social outcast at my school, and am desperate for friendship.Self-pity is never a good thing to fall into, but no one listens to me.
Hey, cheer up. I've been labeled the same thing and even though I have a couple of people to hang out with they look at me as a lazy ass good for nothing kid like everyone else in that God forsaken hellhole. If you're looking for someone to talk to I'm here to listen Smile
01-02-2012 07:15 PM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)

Its also people with similar intrests, differences cause strife.
01-03-2012 02:16 AM
LedoS Offline
It gets better, believe me. :)

Given 44 thank(s) in 30 post(s)

I've got to find someone loyal and true, not like those fuckers from school.
Can't pull cash with them, you never know when they fuck you over.
So until then, I stay in my own group of 1.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2012 05:06 AM by LedoS.)
01-03-2012 05:05 AM
Lung_Drac Offline
Calm Cat Lady

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Cliques? Awful things, they are. Best to be an individual and spurn every clique you come across.
02-03-2012 07:49 AM
proud-scene-kid Offline
Renegade

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Cliques are complete bullshit. I'd rather be myself and have no friends than be like everyone else and be more popular.

(\__/) This is Bunny. Paste Bunny into your signature
(='.'=) to help him gain world domination.
(")_(")

[Image: n3rs4k.jpg]
-Proud member of the LGBT community
02-03-2012 08:18 AM
M3116 Offline
I and I

Given 5 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Everyone's all, 'I-can-be-who-ever-I-wan-a-be. DEM HATERZ B JEALUS LALZ.' Yeah, whatever. I mean they're supposed to. It's cool. But to be honest, I have no clue what is happening on this high school 'social front' or if it is even a reality. For me it's wake up, go to school, go home, sleep, find something to eat, bum around and it's time to go again. I don't know where kids are getting this idea of "so much drama"
02-08-2012 04:50 PM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)

Because people are dicks to each other and that causes problems.
02-09-2012 12:45 AM
M3116 Offline
I and I

Given 5 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

"You're a dick."
Problem solved.
02-09-2012 10:30 AM
NightThoughts Offline
Night changes the way you think.

Given 12 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

I'm trying to break free of that stuff. It's worst for girls, I think. It's ok at my school for a guy to be friends with a girl, after all, they're "being friendly or flirting." And if a girl tries to be friends with a guy, it's awkward and rumors start about liking them. So now I'm even more alienated from all the people similar to me.

I'd put a pithy quote here, but I'd rather speak for myself.

Superpowers aren't just flying and lifting several tons. Whatever you're good at, that's your superpower. Learn to deal with it.
02-09-2012 10:41 AM
Fractomancer Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

(02-09-2012 10:41 AM)NightThoughts Wrote:  I'm trying to break free of that stuff. It's worst for girls, I think. It's ok at my school for a guy to be friends with a girl, after all, they're "being friendly or flirting." And if a girl tries to be friends with a guy, it's awkward and rumors start about liking them. So now I'm even more alienated from all the people similar to me.

Yeah, this is pretty sad. Some friend of a friend of mine was weirded out when he mistook my friendliness to being attracted to him, even though I just tried to be nice and am anyway usually considered "one of the guys". This, and some other rumors were surprisingly easily stopped by getting a boyfriend though, even though I couldn't really give a shit about dating in general.

As for other things about these cliques, is that whenever I hang out with people outside my group of friends I get asked why did I leave them, even though that's just a single break and shouldn't matter all that much especially since I often see them in class anyway. Seriously, it's as if I shouldn't have other friends. o_O

[Image: adhd_mild.gif] Try it on yourself!
03-25-2012 09:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cuttlefishCuller Offline
#1 Homestuck Spambot

Social groups are actually pretty natural, mang. People with similar personalities and interests are drawn together and form groups. There's really no reason to be bitter about it. The only reason you guys have trouble making friends is your conviction that everyone is and idiot and below your notice, and natural introversion.

It's just a matter of being friendly and listening to people! And people are pretty raaaaaaaaaad when you get down to it.

(01-21-2012 10:42 PM)BaronVonStrangle Wrote:  homestuck more like homeSUCK
03-25-2012 10:20 PM
Mælstrom Offline

I agree with the self-righteousness thing that you're saying, but as an introvert, it's incredibly hard to even get people who want to talk to you when people around the school spread untrue rumours about you. People I've never even met or spoken to "hate" me because of my shyness. It might be that they interpret my quietness as me thinking I'm more aloof than them or that I find them boring, but it's the exact opposite. The words and conversations come to me in my head like wildfire, but I never have enough courage to act them out in reality. When you feel alienated by almost everyone you know, it's hard to gain friends. From how you speak (and I apologize if I'm wrong in this judgement), it seems that you have an extroverted personality. These things come easier to one with confidence and personality than a introvert filled with insecurities and childish fears, so please consider that.

03-26-2012 12:07 PM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

(03-26-2012 12:07 PM)Mælstrom Wrote:  I agree with the self-righteousness thing that you're saying, but as an introvert, it's incredibly hard to even get people who want to talk to you when people around the school spread untrue rumours about you. People I've never even met or spoken to "hate" me because of my shyness. It might be that they interpret my quietness as me thinking I'm more aloof than them or that I find them boring, but it's the exact opposite. The words and conversations come to me in my head like wildfire, but I never have enough courage to act them out in reality. When you feel alienated by almost everyone you know, it's hard to gain friends. From how you speak (and I apologize if I'm wrong in this judgement), it seems that you have an extroverted personality. These things come easier to one with confidence and personality than a introvert filled with insecurities and childish fears, so please consider that.

If you don't speak up and correct them, then that's all they'll ever think of you.

Previously known as Derchin.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2012 01:23 PM by Miller0700.)
03-26-2012 12:46 PM
Mælstrom Offline

Touché. That I will do.

03-26-2012 01:02 PM
cuttlefishCuller Offline
#1 Homestuck Spambot

(03-26-2012 12:07 PM)Mælstrom Wrote:  I agree with the self-righteousness thing that you're saying, but as an introvert, it's incredibly hard to even get people who want to talk to you when people around the school spread untrue rumours about you. People I've never even met or spoken to "hate" me because of my shyness. It might be that they interpret my quietness as me thinking I'm more aloof than them or that I find them boring, but it's the exact opposite. The words and conversations come to me in my head like wildfire, but I never have enough courage to act them out in reality. When you feel alienated by almost everyone you know, it's hard to gain friends. From how you speak (and I apologize if I'm wrong in this judgement), it seems that you have an extroverted personality. These things come easier to one with confidence and personality than a introvert filled with insecurities and childish fears, so please consider that.

My apologies for my previous insensitivity, I have an unfortunate tendency to overgeneralize.

I'm not sure if personality and confidence make one an extrovert, through. I've got neither but a burning interest in people and listening to them, but I can see where you're coming from.

(01-21-2012 10:42 PM)BaronVonStrangle Wrote:  homestuck more like homeSUCK
03-27-2012 05:53 AM
Mælstrom Offline

It's generally confidence and interest, though many extroverts can suffer from cockiness at times. Thanks for understanding Smile

03-27-2012 05:57 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

Cliques happen, it's part of human nature. We just gotta deal with it.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
03-27-2012 07:00 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Groups? EntityCubed 3 1,499 02-19-2013 05:37 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397