RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Education = Knowledge?
RaiserZero Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)
Education = Knowledge?

I don't know if this was asked before or discussed in another thread, but I'm wondering, so I'll explain it quickly.

In school, they mostly make us memorize things, teach us math,language,arts, science and history. Right?

It's always memorize and apply.

This is called Education.

And then you have those that have barely any knowledge of any of these things. But weird thing is, they are also "Educated", because they know how to live. By that I mean, they are kind, generous, see the goodness and have common sense, etc.

So depending on the definition of " education ", one could say he is not or is educated.

However, in school, well mine anyways, they teach NOTHING about how to live. How to be a decent person, how to see clearly in situations and what to do. ( No wonder I meet so many retards in there. ). So are schools doing only half of the work they are supposed to do? Maybe even not doing it?

Maybe both of these are required to be educated? I don't know anymore..
Correct me if I'm wrong D:

All men who have achieved great things have been great dreamers.
12-11-2011 03:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)
RE: Education = Knowledge?

School is doing nothing but creating people who are defeated. People who will just jump through the hoops and not question much. The educational system is paving the way for 1984.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
12-11-2011 03:32 PM
aCol Offline
Distiller of hate

Given 20 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

Education != Knowledge.
Although both comes from living your life, its two pairs of socks. Education comes from knowledge. A person who knows much must not necessarily be "educated". Knowledge is the pure "knowing". Would you consider somebody who hasn't gone to school and learned to live on the streets "Educated"? You probably wouldn't. But he does "know" much about the streets. Education is the knowledge society expects you to know, Knowledge is what you really know.

At least thats my opinion.

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH
12-11-2011 08:33 PM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Education isn't knowledge, it's pre-conditioning of the mind.

All these skills, are completely irrelevant to most kids, and the knowledge and skill of them are only useable for the production of capital.

it's basically training you to become a member of empire, that's why the kids who don't do well get a lot of shit, because the the system lacks use of them.

God, humans are so pathethic. PEOPLE ARE NOT EXPENDABLE. WTF

To be an anarchist, is to suffer greatly. To be a black woman is to suffer secretly. To be the earth, is to suffer silently.

I wish no harm on anyone, but those whose harmful ways will not stop without the same harm.

It's time we kill this cancerous system, before it kills us and everything left of gaia. Rise from our immaturity and take back our autonomy!

[Image: 2010-10-04-lost-my-appetite.jpg]
12-12-2011 02:25 AM
Luizao876 Offline
Everyone's favorite Huezillian

Given 22 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

School is not to really "learn". It's just there to prepare you to not question the government and other things that MUST be questioned, but the high class (Politicians, rich pople) don't want the majority of people to question it because it would be bad for their image.

That's what I think anyway.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2011 06:55 AM by Luizao876.)
12-12-2011 06:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aCol Offline
Distiller of hate

Its funny how they try to tell us (my class) to question goverment actions, political ideology and stuff, but when we question school itself -> bam a letter home.

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH
12-12-2011 07:38 AM
Luizao876 Offline
Everyone's favorite Huezillian

Given 22 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

(12-12-2011 07:38 AM)aCol Wrote:  Its funny how they try to tell us (my class) to question goverment actions, political ideology and stuff, but when we question school itself -> bam a letter home.

Yep, totally funny.
12-12-2011 08:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aCol Offline
Distiller of hate

Hey, only half a year till I'm out.
But yeah, "funny" - like in "fishy".

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH
12-12-2011 08:42 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  School Doesn't Care About True Knowledge — My Experience MrAnonymous 3 2,275 02-24-2015 03:29 PM
Last Post: MrAnonymous
  Vacuum Knowledge Guest 5 2,447 12-14-2006 02:58 PM
Last Post: Guest