RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bowling anyone???
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)
Bowling anyone???

Ive been bowling for years and lately ive been practicing a couple times a week. Ive got my average score up from 140 to 160s in a couple weeks. I read you can make money off of tournaments if you are good enough. Once my average is at 190, I'm good enough for amatuer tournaments.

Anyone here decent at bowling and got any tips?

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
12-09-2011 03:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)
RE: Bowling anyone???

Good now play without the rails.

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
12-09-2011 03:52 PM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

(12-09-2011 03:52 PM)Efs Wrote:  Good now play without the rails.

Keep your mind out of the gutter man!

Nope, never use em'. Also I never gutterball it anyway so rails don't really help me much anyways.

12-09-2011 04:01 PM
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)

I played for 2-3 years but had to stop due to a recurring wrist injury.

My best was a 210 game and my average was like 160-170. Used to play in the club leauge and sometimes we would go to the nationals which was always fun.

Hmmm, tips? Focus. Keep your shoulders straight, do not drop your shoulders. That is a mistake a made quite a bit. What is your bowling style? I used to bowl backup style:

Not me but yeah.

Quote:Good now play without the rails.

Once you're good enough rails are counter productive. They put you off and you can actually miss the 7 or 10 on them.

Also, have you ever got a 7-10 split before? That was probably my best moment in bowling, actually getting that split Razz

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
12-09-2011 04:11 PM
Jesusaurisrex Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

I always use the rails, and what I find works best is throwing at an 85 degree angle so it bounces back and forth and moves down really slowly, and when it gets to the pins it bounces back and fourth slowly wrecking all the pins one row at a time.

just don't throw it too hard or it will ramp off the rails and into other peoples lanes, and that makes them super mad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmXMA34CeoQ
12-09-2011 06:06 PM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

[Image: Roman.png]
COUSIN IT IS TIME TO GO BOWLING

For the last year of school we had offsite games as part of our timetable and I picked bowling. There was this one guy in our group of 4 we went with who claimed to be expert at bowling and by expert what he actually did was just hurl the ball at full force into the sides and have it bounce down like pinball and score 8's, 9's and 10's all day erryday.

On the last session though we changed the rail settings when he went to the toilet before the game started, then upon his return we said that the attendant told us the rails were stuck down and there was nothing we could do. He got like 36 while everyone else got 80-90's.

>mfw
[Image: 349d66796ce1643700352b34ede9a17612375160...1318992465]
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2011 10:05 PM by aaaaaaasd.)
12-09-2011 10:00 PM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

(12-09-2011 04:11 PM)Elfy Wrote:  I played for 2-3 years but had to stop due to a recurring wrist injury.

My best was a 210 game and my average was like 160-170. Used to play in the club leauge and sometimes we would go to the nationals which was always fun.

Hmmm, tips? Focus. Keep your shoulders straight, do not drop your shoulders. That is a mistake a made quite a bit. What is your bowling style? I used to bowl backup style:

Not me but yeah.

Quote:Good now play without the rails.

Once you're good enough rails are counter productive. They put you off and you can actually miss the 7 or 10 on them.

Also, have you ever got a 7-10 split before? That was probably my best moment in bowling, actually getting that split Razz

I got a 9-7 split before. Usually I throw it fairly straight with an ounce of left-handed curve. I'm right handed.

12-10-2011 03:26 AM
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)

Heh, on the 7-10 splits I smash it as hard as I can in the pocket of the 7. The objective is to smack it across the lane, since I bowl backup it works for me.

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
12-10-2011 03:36 AM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

(12-09-2011 06:06 PM)Jesusaurisrex Wrote:  I always use the rails, and what I find works best is throwing at an 85 degree angle so it bounces back and forth and moves down really slowly, and when it gets to the pins it bounces back and fourth slowly wrecking all the pins one row at a time.

just don't throw it too hard or it will ramp off the rails and into other peoples lanes, and that makes them super mad
Jesussaurus bowling.

(12-10-2011 03:36 AM)Elfy Wrote:  Heh, on the 7-10 splits I smash it as hard as I can in the pocket of the 7. The objective is to smack it across the lane, since I bowl backup it works for me.

Thats damn near impossible since I have to hit I centimeter away from the gutter. Maybe someday.

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2011 03:44 AM by gore goroth.)
12-10-2011 03:38 AM