RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How Will the Universe End?
thriller222 Offline
Freedom Fighter

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
How Will the Universe End?

I personally believe that there is not enough evidence to suggest the universe will end. I believe it will just keep on going forever. The universe is really too mysterious to know what direction it could go in.
11-30-2011 02:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)
RE: How Will the Universe End?

A Team Of Space Planet Eating Monkeys Will Devour All

[Image: glorious666.png]
11-30-2011 02:15 PM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

To be able to answer this question we would really have to know what's beyond the universe. They say our universe is constantly expanding...are there more universes beyond ours? If there are, maybe one day we will crash into them. But it is really interesting to think about things like this...what happens once you go past the edge of the universe?

No, this is Patrick.
11-30-2011 02:17 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Maybe it'd be something like heat death or that dark energy expansion thing that'd destroy everything, though they're pretty much just hypotheses.

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2011 05:50 PM by LOON_ATTIC.)
11-30-2011 02:30 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

If the universe is all. And the universe ends. That means all ends. So how can all end? Can the universe even kill itself? Are there multiple universes?

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
11-30-2011 02:48 PM
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)

I love this topic.

I think a more fundamental question is asking, how did the universe begin? (or was it always here?). I think it's hard for a human head to grasp the concept of something always existing, it must have started somewhere right? By using the law of conservation, we could say it has always existed because if you had zero energy you cannot convert any energy. But (or so I've heard) modern day physics is coming closer to finding an answer to 'something can come from nothing'. Honestly, I think in both cases the universe could never be destroyed and there will never be nothing because energy can't be destroyed.

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
11-30-2011 03:20 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

This is quite a mindfuck isn't it? Razz

We haven't even figured out where it came from yet, so I don't think we can possibly guess how/when/if it will end.

We're like ants trying to figure out what country they're in... we're too small to see the big picture. For all we know, the universe will turn out to be just one tiny little dot in something far far bigger. And then once we've figured that out, it turns out that's a small part of something even bigger as well...

But then what are all those bigger things and where did THEY come from?!?! Goingcrazy

Laugh

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
11-30-2011 09:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
12-01-2011 12:06 AM
.Manicrose. Offline
CODSWALLOP

Given 16 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

Either the Big Rip (where dark energy destabilizes and tears the universe apart) or constant expansion until the planets get further and further away from each other and there's nothing but darkness. Either way, dark energy doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon, so I'm ruling out the Big Crunch (where dark energy's expansion of the universe reverses).

Although the discovery of all these massive black holes eating up the universe seems to be on the rise, so perhaps the end will come sooner than expected.

Go to work. Send your kids to school. Follow fashion. Act normal. Walk on the pavement. Watch TV. Save for your old age. Obey the law. Repeat after me: "I am free."

Hidden stuff:
12-01-2011 02:13 AM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

God will purge the massive steaming pile of shit that we call the universe from his asshole and flush it down the toilet causing an astronomical flood to end everything that we know.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
12-01-2011 04:37 AM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

Some people suggest that eventually all energy in the universe will burn out. Leaving nothing but black holes that will eventually dissolve as a result of Hawking Radiation. Leaving literally nothing.

I for one think that we have no idea at all what started it all and what will end it. That is even assuming our concept of time is correct. Maybe there is no beginning or end. Who knows?

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2011 04:53 AM by UnschoolShqiponjë.)
12-01-2011 04:53 AM
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Maybe there was never a beggining and there will never be an end. Infinite.

Also:

http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/universe.html

mindfuck

12-01-2011 05:57 AM
.Manicrose. Offline
CODSWALLOP

Given 16 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

Maybe "beginning" and "end", as well as time itself, are purely human concepts and the universe is so big and so far beyond our understanding that it doesn't conform to that silly stuff.

Go to work. Send your kids to school. Follow fashion. Act normal. Walk on the pavement. Watch TV. Save for your old age. Obey the law. Repeat after me: "I am free."

Hidden stuff:
12-01-2011 06:29 AM
Fanatic

(12-01-2011 06:29 AM).Manicrose. Wrote:  Maybe "beginning" and "end", as well as time itself, are purely human concepts and the universe is so big and so far beyond our understanding that it doesn't conform to that silly stuff.

This is most likely true. We would probably need to continue evolving to gain such understanding.

Live until you die
12-01-2011 10:05 AM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

(12-01-2011 06:29 AM).Manicrose. Wrote:  Maybe "beginning" and "end", as well as time itself, are purely human concepts and the universe is so big and so far beyond our understanding that it doesn't conform to that silly stuff.

That's how I view it.

12-01-2011 02:39 PM
thriller222 Offline
Freedom Fighter

Well, the redshift that we observe is not proof that the universe is expanding, because some objects are actually blueshifting. I think the universe is probably already infinite, and its not expanding, its just "there".
12-01-2011 03:17 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

Yep, I don't understand many of the logicians and philosophers of today... Many of them argue that there absolutely had to be a beginning and it's illogical to think that it's always been here. That's fucking bullshit, imo. Also, and this has always been one of my pet peeves, you cannot have multiple universes. The definition of the universe is everything, so if there are multiple "universes" we should probably change the name of "universe" to something else. The word "multiverse" consisting of multiple "universes" is fucking stupid. Fucking english and it's changing meanings.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
12-01-2011 03:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Efs Offline
Fanatic

(12-01-2011 03:34 PM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  Yep, I don't understand many of the logicians and philosophers of today... Many of them argue that there absolutely had to be a beginning and it's illogical to think that it's always been here. That's fucking bullshit, imo. Also, and this has always been one of my pet peeves, you cannot have multiple universes. The definition of the universe is everything, so if there are multiple "universes" we should probably change the name of "universe" to something else. The word "multiverse" consisting of multiple "universes" is fucking stupid. Fucking english and it's changing meanings.

I know right...how can there be a multiple of everything? Since universe is everything...

12-01-2011 03:52 PM
Fanatic

I do believe in the possibility of multiple planes of existence in the universe.

Live until you die
12-02-2011 12:06 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

(12-02-2011 12:06 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  I do believe in the possibility of multiple planes of existence in the universe.

I believe that is not only possible, but probable given what we've seen. Some scientists speculate that inside of every black hole there's another "universe" or plain of existence that has it's own natural laws and shit. Like, everything could be different, and we can't even fathom wtf it'd be like lol.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
12-02-2011 12:09 AM
thriller222 Offline
Freedom Fighter

(12-02-2011 12:06 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  I do believe in the possibility of multiple planes of existence in the universe.

Me too. What we are living in is not the universe, it's a plane of existence in the universe. The universe is infinite, so that means that there are infinite numbers of different dimensions that we cant even fathom. I think that is how you can explain dreams to a degree.
12-02-2011 12:50 PM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

I don't know about the universe, and I can't prove that universe exists and it's not some big illusion or projection. But I definitely believe the world I live in and all the neighbors concerning me will come to an end, and humans are the main cause.

To be an anarchist, is to suffer greatly. To be a black woman is to suffer secretly. To be the earth, is to suffer silently.

I wish no harm on anyone, but those whose harmful ways will not stop without the same harm.

It's time we kill this cancerous system, before it kills us and everything left of gaia. Rise from our immaturity and take back our autonomy!

[Image: 2010-10-04-lost-my-appetite.jpg]
12-03-2011 10:57 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:Some scientists speculate that inside of every black hole there's another "universe" or plain of existence that has it's own natural laws and shit. Like, everything could be different, and we can't even fathom wtf it'd be like lol.

Quote:Me too. What we are living in is not the universe, it's a plane of existence in the universe. The universe is infinite, so that means that there are infinite numbers of different dimensions that we cant even fathom. I think that is how you can explain dreams to a degree.

I like these kinds of ideas. Really fucks with my brain, but I like that.

Then there's this 'parallel universes' thing that I've seen in a bunch of sci-fi stories lately, and apparently scientists consider that to be quite plausible. How the hell they'd go about figuring that out is completely beyond me, but it's also a pretty interesting concept. So there are infinite copies of me out there all of which who made different choices in my life.

But... here's the weird bit. If everyone made different choices, different people would exist... because maybe your mom actually married someone else, and then you'd be... someone else. lol Cuckoo

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
12-04-2011 02:19 AM
thriller222 Offline
Freedom Fighter

(12-04-2011 02:19 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  
Quote:Some scientists speculate that inside of every black hole there's another "universe" or plain of existence that has it's own natural laws and shit. Like, everything could be different, and we can't even fathom wtf it'd be like lol.

Quote:Me too. What we are living in is not the universe, it's a plane of existence in the universe. The universe is infinite, so that means that there are infinite numbers of different dimensions that we cant even fathom. I think that is how you can explain dreams to a degree.

I like these kinds of ideas. Really fucks with my brain, but I like that.

Then there's this 'parallel universes' thing that I've seen in a bunch of sci-fi stories lately, and apparently scientists consider that to be quite plausible. How the hell they'd go about figuring that out is completely beyond me, but it's also a pretty interesting concept. So there are infinite copies of me out there all of which who made different choices in my life.

But... here's the weird bit. If everyone made different choices, different people would exist... because maybe your mom actually married someone else, and then you'd be... someone else. lol Cuckoo

There cant really be a parallel universe because the definition of the word universe is everything that exists. There can be different dimensions, different laws of physics, and different realities, but they're all within the same universe. Human technology is definitely not advanced enough to tear the fabric of the universe, but I do believe it is possible.
12-04-2011 03:24 PM
aCol Offline
Distiller of hate

Given 20 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

Well, I think the most probable Idea till now is following:

Universe is getting bigger, Black holes also get bigger, at some point black holes exponentially speed up their growing (hence they have a lot more ... strengh?) and at some point whump, Black Holes all collapse into each other giving away a big bang and making the new universe.

Just m2c
12-05-2011 05:36 AM
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

(12-03-2011 10:57 PM)SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Wrote:  I don't know about the universe, and I can't prove that universe exists and it's not some big illusion or projection. But I definitely believe the world I live in and all the neighbors concerning me will come to an end, and humans are the main cause.

Disregard the fact the sun will kill us all in due time anyway.

12-05-2011 04:17 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

(12-05-2011 04:17 PM)Elfy Wrote:  
(12-03-2011 10:57 PM)SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Wrote:  I don't know about the universe, and I can't prove that universe exists and it's not some big illusion or projection. But I definitely believe the world I live in and all the neighbors concerning me will come to an end, and humans are the main cause.

If "we" even exist by then.

12-05-2011 04:43 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

(12-05-2011 04:17 PM)Elfy Wrote:  

EMO HIPPY!

12-05-2011 05:17 PM
The Shadowman Offline
Kane lives!

Given 11 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Check the site Exit Mundi for a ton of possible ways the universe might end, some are quite terrifying.
12-12-2011 04:37 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Universe тωιѕтє∂ 11 4,472 06-12-2013 10:23 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Alas thy Broken Universe ~Mystery~ 1 1,548 03-20-2011 03:55 AM
Last Post: Conformist
  [In]finite Universe Happy Camper 57 14,644 07-30-2010 08:40 AM
Last Post: Zstriker
  And I looked at the Universe, and all the things in it... AWOL 1 1,160 02-28-2010 08:46 AM
Last Post: Rebelnerd