RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I feel that I must do this
thriller222 Offline
Freedom Fighter

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
I feel that I must do this

When I graduate high school, I'm just going to run. I think that its a good idea, just leave everything I have known, and travel off the grid. Some of you may think that this is a stupid idea, but I think it's the only way I will actually learn about the world. I'm just going to take what I need and travel by myself. I want to do this because I feel like I have been bullshitted for my entire life, I want to start over and meet new people. I dont even care if I starve or anything, I just plan on taking off and handling what ever life has to throw at me; at least that would give me a better understanding of the world than school has ever given me. Would you do this?
11-20-2011 01:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)
RE: I feel that I must do this

Like that McCandless guy?

Previously known as Derchin.
11-20-2011 02:32 PM
thriller222 Offline
Freedom Fighter

(11-20-2011 02:32 PM)Derchin Wrote:  Like that McCandless guy?

Not like McCandless. He was an idiot who deserved what came to him. I want to stay as close to civilization as I can, so I dont end up like him.
11-20-2011 02:39 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

Just don't listen to advice on here, especially if it comes from emos or extremely negative people. I was on this other forum and this guy flew from australia to the uk with just $500, managed to find work around the place and travel around. I'm not going to give you any biased advice, better to let you make your own decisions and learn from them. Dunno where you live but you could start off by staying at backpacker hostels.

Just one thing, you can be independent and learn about the world gradually too, you don't have to throw yourself onto the street. You could move out "normally"...
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2011 03:23 PM by psychopath.)
11-20-2011 03:02 PM
thriller222 Offline
Freedom Fighter

(11-20-2011 03:02 PM)psychopath Wrote:  Just don't listen to advice on here, especially if it comes from emos or extremely negative people. I was on this other forum and this guy flew from australia to the uk with just $500, managed to find work around the place and travel around. I'm not going to give you any biased advice, better to let you make your own decisions and learn from them. Dunno where you live but you could start off by staying at backpacker hostels.

Just one thing, you can be independent and learn about the world gradually too, you don't have to throw yourself onto the street. You could move out "normally"...

I live in Washington state. It's a good place to start my journey too, right in the corner of the U.S. I want to head south to California, then go north east to Wyoming and the Dakotas, and head south until I get to Texas. I plan on staying in Texas for a while so I can rest, and plan the rest of my trip. I hope you understand, I dont only feel as though I have to do this; I want to do this. I love to travel, its almost my muse. Nothing excites me more than going to a new place, and I'm not going to let anybody prevent me from being happy.
11-20-2011 03:44 PM
Luizao876 Offline
Everyone's favorite Huezillian

Given 22 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

If it makes you happy to do it, then go do it!

But plan this caustiously or you can end up getting robbed or even killed by road thieves! (They're very rare, but they exist!)
11-21-2011 12:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Personally I wouldn't do it, but if I was less lazy I'm sure it could be fun. I like to just sit around and not have to worry about where my next meal will come from and shit like that xD

There was a book that might be helpful, I think it was called something like Escapist... Escapism... er... I can't remember, but it's about this dude that travels around and lives basically off the food people throw away mostly.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
11-21-2011 02:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

(11-20-2011 02:39 PM)crazycoulrophobe Wrote:  

Not like McCandless. He was an idiot who deserved what came to him. I want to stay as close to civilization as I can, so I dont end up like him.

McCandless was no dummy. He was an extremely bright guy who made one small mistake which in the Alaskan wilderness is all it takes to lose your life. Learn from his mistake, and also look at what he did right and adopt it in to your own survival plan. For example, using a field guide on edible plants.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
11-21-2011 02:14 AM
thriller222 Offline
Freedom Fighter

(11-21-2011 02:14 AM)|55555| Wrote:  

McCandless was no dummy. He was an extremely bright guy who made one small mistake which in the Alaskan wilderness is all it takes to lose your life. Learn from his mistake, and also look at what he did right and adopt it in to your own survival plan. For example, using a field guide on edible plants.

I'll take back the part about him being an idiot, but he still could have easily remedied his situation if he followed the river. If you are lost, and you have a river near you, it would seem pretty obvious what you should do. If he followed the river he would have eventually come across civilization.
11-21-2011 05:36 AM
monkey Away
Fanatic

Given 26 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

(11-21-2011 05:36 AM)crazycoulrophobe Wrote:  

I'll take back the part about him being an idiot, but he still could have easily remedied his situation if he followed the river. If you are lost, and you have a river near you, it would seem pretty obvious what you should do. If he followed the river he would have eventually come across civilization.

I think his main problem was he was in fucking alaska. Solution: Don't go to alaska.

Anyway, I sometimes think that it would be interesting to just wander around. There is a language barrier problem though. The only other language I know is german, I could go across the U.S into Canada then into the U.K and down to Germany. Point is I think I might end up being vagrant at some point just for the experience.

An interesting idea would be to rent an apartment across the country and travel to it on foot, So you have a home but you just wander on a sort of adventure to get there.

Had to move on. Account is dead.
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2011 06:24 PM by monkey.)
11-26-2011 06:23 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

I'm going to fly to Europe with my mate. Party. Fly some random place. And just make our own journey.
And I love running to who knows where. I've only stopped because I'm bulking up and running burns too many carbs.

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
11-26-2011 09:22 PM
.Manicrose. Offline
CODSWALLOP

Given 16 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

I want to go to Norway and live in a village by the sea, but that's probably not happening anytime soon.

Go to work. Send your kids to school. Follow fashion. Act normal. Walk on the pavement. Watch TV. Save for your old age. Obey the law. Repeat after me: "I am free."

Hidden stuff:
11-27-2011 12:30 AM
thriller222 Offline
Freedom Fighter

(11-26-2011 06:23 PM)monkey Wrote:  
(11-21-2011 05:36 AM)crazycoulrophobe Wrote:  

I think his main problem was he was in fucking alaska. Solution: Don't go to alaska.

Anyway, I sometimes think that it would be interesting to just wander around. There is a language barrier problem though. The only other language I know is german, I could go across the U.S into Canada then into the U.K and down to Germany. Point is I think I might end up being vagrant at some point just for the experience.

An interesting idea would be to rent an apartment across the country and travel to it on foot, So you have a home but you just wander on a sort of adventure to get there.

Interesting idea. Language is a problem, considering the only other language I know is Latin, and that wont do me any good unless I learn how to travel timeConfused
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2011 02:48 PM by thriller222.)
11-27-2011 02:47 PM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

McCandless didn't bring a compass with him, and there was a train station like 1/4 of a mile from where he was. I mean, I respect what he was trying to do, but he failed miserably at it because he seemed to be an idiot.

No, this is Patrick.
11-29-2011 01:32 PM
xydougie Offline
Renegade

Given 4 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

In the end it's your choice. I'd say try to get a buddy or a small group first

Is it just your parents you wanna stay away from? Or Society in general?
12-02-2011 11:38 AM