RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why should I be productive to society?
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)
Why should I be productive to society?

Seriously, what the fuck has society ever done for me?

No, this is Patrick.
11-17-2011 03:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Levio_Sah Away
^this person is awesome

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
RE: Why should I be productive to society?

Um, nothing? Don't contribute to it and try not to make semi-pointless threads while you're at it.
11-17-2011 03:54 AM
Jesusaurisrex Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

it gave birth to you and an opportunity to use a computer

I know this because Im psychic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmXMA34CeoQ
11-17-2011 04:06 AM
Desu Offline
Fanatic

Given 340 thank(s) in 182 post(s)

(11-17-2011 03:54 AM)Levio_Sah Wrote:  Um, nothing? Don't contribute to it and try not to make semi-pointless threads while you're at it.

This isn't pointless, and OP's question is actually very good to think about. The answer to the question can have so many implications in your personal life, if you wish it.

I think a common problem is when people want to "fit" in to society, they desire it, they want to perform certain behaviors that are common in that social context. But the same people and processes that the individual might use as a source of joy and direction in their life, may later lead to great pain and depression.

I think the reason why productivity and industry (as opposed to idleness and pleasures) is valued so much is due to the prevailing value of progress and an emphasis on the individual in western culture.

RIP GORE GOROTH

He was an hero. He will always be remembered.
11-17-2011 04:25 AM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Production equals destruction. The entire idea of humans having to be "progressive or productive" to the economy came with the start of economics and capitalism.

The idea of human production or progress is a pseudo philosophy in the worship of GDP ( gross domestic production).

For example, if people are constantly trying to improve their physical appearance, as through diets, exercise, and always obsessing over weight this is how much GDP the markets get

$32 billion a year for our DIET obsession, which is directly caused by fashion industry and people in commercials looking like skeletal airbrushed zombies.

Hey if you decide to commit a crime and get busted this how much money the security and crime prevention industries make- $65 billion a year.

Stressed! Depressed, occcd? Prozac reaks in $1.2 billion a tear.

The problem with this is that the social costs aren't taken into account, all america cares about is how much money they can make over people's suffering, and they will call is productive, developed, progressive, and that's why we are rich.

The list can go on and on as the GDP rises, and the amount shit that we take up the ass gets even worse.

The only purpose of your life is serve the interests of a fascist economic system, and obey the laws of a government.

Your going to grow up to be slave, and waste your life pursuing painful financial security. Whether you are an office slave, a boss who's gets to fuck his employees up the ass daily but is also giving head to his bosses, and yo just perform the most ridiculous tasks and services to support, EMPIRE.

And then the assholes who will violently keep you doing this take like a third of your paycheck!

WOOO-HOOO!

There is no reason to become a productive member of society because production is destruction of yourself, and the world around you. As the natural world is being destroyed we all giver like to an undead city and it sucks on us like vampires.

But reasons to are to be able to have a house, food, and water. Even though it's all poisoned.

To be an anarchist, is to suffer greatly. To be a black woman is to suffer secretly. To be the earth, is to suffer silently.

I wish no harm on anyone, but those whose harmful ways will not stop without the same harm.

It's time we kill this cancerous system, before it kills us and everything left of gaia. Rise from our immaturity and take back our autonomy!

[Image: 2010-10-04-lost-my-appetite.jpg]
11-17-2011 05:23 AM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

You are a genius. The world needs more people that are capable of intelligent thought.

No, this is Patrick.
11-17-2011 05:28 AM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

(11-17-2011 05:28 AM)StadiumArcadium Wrote:  You are a genius. The world needs more people that are capable of intelligent thought.

I just read about surprisingly in this book about the start of economics.

Economics is a bullshit science, it's totally redundant, so if anyone is arguing about communism vs capitalism or any of that shit, tell them that it is a phony argument because they are all on the same side, exploit the natural world as much as possible to give birth to more technology and material items.

What economists lie to you about it the amount of suffering and labour that is needed to produce these petty possessions. They also completely ignore the fact that the earth is FINITE. We've been destroying it since the dawn of Mesopotamia, in 1950's we fucking ran out of soil.

Also economists can only feed the dark inhumane side of life, as Hazel Henderson's Alternative Future's sums up-
"Economics has enthroned some of our most unattractive predispositions: material acquisitiveness, competition, gluttony, pride, selfishness, shortsightedness, and just plain greed"

60% of the population is depressed, and no one gives a crap about anything. People are camping outside of apple stores and movie theaters, while the last shred of what's left of nature is devoured.

I really hate everything and I'm only 15. Like I don't even like numbers.

Think about it, when you reduce the world to numbers that you objectifying it, you only use it as tools and parts in a little game, it demeans it, it destroys it.

For out of all the shit that flew out of the cold rectum of science, time is the worst.The indigenous Chumash's of california used to live in paradise, because there was no time. They had forever, to live each day, for the day, in the now.

Now all we do is work and work and buy and buy...we're like fucking machines.

To be an anarchist, is to suffer greatly. To be a black woman is to suffer secretly. To be the earth, is to suffer silently.

I wish no harm on anyone, but those whose harmful ways will not stop without the same harm.

It's time we kill this cancerous system, before it kills us and everything left of gaia. Rise from our immaturity and take back our autonomy!

11-17-2011 05:39 AM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Evil, heartless, destructive, machines that pump our children with pills and evil thoughts.

No, this is Patrick.
11-17-2011 05:41 AM
.Manicrose. Offline
CODSWALLOP

Given 16 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

SHOTGUNHEART Wrote:For out of all the shit that flew out of the cold rectum of science, time is the worst.
I just spat out my coffee

Go to work. Send your kids to school. Follow fashion. Act normal. Walk on the pavement. Watch TV. Save for your old age. Obey the law. Repeat after me: "I am free."

Hidden stuff:
11-17-2011 06:07 AM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

(11-17-2011 05:28 AM)StadiumArcadium Wrote:  You are a genius. The world needs more people that are capable of intelligent thought.

Stop it.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
11-17-2011 06:18 AM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

You stop it.

No, this is Patrick.
11-17-2011 06:21 AM
Fanatic

(11-17-2011 06:21 AM)StadiumArcadium Wrote:  You stop it.

The stuff she says is so illogical.

Quote:while the last shred of what's left of nature is devoured.

WE are nature. Everything we create IS nature. It all exists in nature. If we never became civilized we'd be extinct. Simple. There is good in the world, unless you decide to look at only the bad and cry and bitch and moan.

Live until you die
11-17-2011 06:26 AM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

Why even bother being upset.

Humanity wouldn't have gone extinct if we hadn't developed agriculture. Agriculture only happened in a scattered amount of places, and the rest were able to use the land without hyper exploiting it and destroying it and killing each other.

Every civilization has eaten itself and destroyed itself.

As soon as you stick a plow through soil, you degrade it. God, I sometimes wonder if you have any idea what you are talking about. You come on here with a western hegemonic view of history that isn't precise.

We are our OWN extinction. We are changing the climate, we are killing each other, and we are destroying our home in the name of profit.

Our system can't even tend to the basic needs of people, it only tends to that of greed and stock markets, look at all the homeless, barely getting by people.

11-17-2011 06:43 AM
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)

That's how humans operate and shit is never going to change. The end.

Quote:WE are nature. Everything we create IS nature. It all exists in nature. If we never became civilized we'd be extinct. Simple. There is good in the world, unless you decide to look at only the bad and cry and bitch and moan.

Mmm. It's nature. There is a reason humans became civilised and that was to make things easier.

Quote:The idea of human production or progress is a pseudo philosophy in the worship of GDP ( gross domestic production).

Or it's to support the population. If we didn't keep up production of food and other goods then we wouldn't be able to support ourselves.

Quote:Our system can't even tend to the basic needs of people, it only tends to that of greed and stock markets, look at all the homeless, barely getting by people.

Yeah, do you have a better idea to the current system? Saying it only tends to greed and stock markets is absolute bullshit.

Quote:Humanity wouldn't have gone extinct if we hadn't developed agriculture.

What. Are you implying that humanity is already... extinct? Agriculture was devoloped to support us.

Quote:Agriculture only happened in a scattered amount of places, and the rest were able to use the land without hyper exploiting it and destroying it and killing each other.

Population increased. When that happens you need more land. And that's self contradictory... if you was to destroy the land then you couldn't use it for agriculture, lol.

Quote:We are our OWN extinction. We are changing the climate, we are killing each other, and we are destroying our home in the name of profit.

Yes humans kills each other, this has been happening since the start of time.

Quote:60% of the population is depressed

lol

Quote:Your going to grow up to be slave, and waste your life pursuing painful financial security. Whether you are an office slave, a boss who's gets to fuck his employees up the ass daily but is also giving head to his bosses, and yo just perform the most ridiculous tasks and services to support, EMPIRE.

Because all bosses want to fuck their employees up the ass. This is the way humanity has gone, we all work to produce and provide for everyone. The boss didn't just magically get his position by sitting on his ass doing fuck all.

Quote:I really hate everything and I'm only 15.

Take 10 and chill, look at some of your points again.

Quote:There is no reason to become a productive member of society because production is destruction of yourself, and the world around you. As the natural world is being destroyed we all giver like to an undead city and it sucks on us like vampires.

But reasons to are to be able to have a house, food, and water. Even though it's all poisoned.

entertaining read would read again A+

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2011 07:29 AM by Elfy.)
11-17-2011 07:17 AM
Fanatic

Quote:As soon as you stick a plow through soil, you degrade it.

This is why you can't be taken seriously. You have random good points here and there but you drown them in a sea of stupid comments like this one.

Live until you die
11-17-2011 07:32 AM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

(11-17-2011 07:32 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  
Quote:As soon as you stick a plow through soil, you degrade it.

This is why you can't be taken seriously. You have random good points here and there but you drown them in a sea of stupid comments like this one.

Your the one that is drowning in stupid comments. You give absolutely no explanation how exactly it is stupid, you just hide behind statements that try to demean me yet don't even say how.

11-17-2011 08:06 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

Shotgun, do you purposely space out your posts just so some one can tear them apart without much effort?

But srsly, you seem intelligent for a 15 year old, but you need to listen to your criticism. You'll be able to form better arguments.

Previously known as Derchin.
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2011 08:23 AM by Miller0700.)
11-17-2011 08:14 AM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

(11-17-2011 08:14 AM)Derchin Wrote:  Shotgun, do you purposely space out your posts just so some one can tear them apart without much effort?

But srsly, you seem intelligent for a 15 year old, but you need to listen to your criticism. You'll be able to form better arguments.

I think my arguments are pretty good for what I have to work with. The arguments I've had so far on here were mostly driven towards attacking my personally, so I don't respond to them.

But on the other hand, I think I express my general thesis, and acceptance of error without having to respond.

Like for instance you tried to correct me when you said that Ayliana told me we have been around for 3.5 billion years, and I knew that, it's just that my post didn't acknowledge that because that information was not important.

And actually, come to research we probably have been around for over 4 billion years though, no one knows exactly how long.

11-17-2011 09:14 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Do you think society is the only thing you can be productive towards? Being productive on its own isn't a bad thing, it's what you do with it that matters.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
11-17-2011 10:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

(11-17-2011 10:03 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Do you think society is the only thing you can be productive towards? Being productive on its own isn't a bad thing, it's what you do with it that matters.

I completely agree. What I was met in my post was that all you ever hear is the bullshit about going to school, getting your "education", getting a job, and being a productive member of society. Well fuck that!

No, this is Patrick.
11-17-2011 10:21 AM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

Being productive in your life shouldn't be your lives main goal. Yes production is a part of life, but the idea that life is all about producing shit for society is pretty crappy motto for any humane person.

Produce thoughts that change your world and challenge you, explore, learn, travel, and enjoy your life.

The problem with this culture is that we've forgotten how to live on earth. We don't see the beauty in the sunset, the liveliness of the trees and masterpieces of mother earth. We are far removed, and we are selfish and only focused one external material gain. We don't care for sharing, or effect ion. God we don't even view each other as fucking equal, or humans, we're all just fucking identities that society pins on us! You just a black girl, or you're an gay asian, you must only eat this and act this way.

I enjoy walks through the woods near my house. And I tell people I enjoy this and they think I'm crazy because I don't like shopping or working my ass off at school.

11-17-2011 11:50 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

(11-17-2011 11:50 AM)SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Wrote:  I enjoy walks through the woods near my house. And I tell people I enjoy this and they think I'm crazy because I don't like shopping or working my ass off at school.

And your a black woman?
You sound like a god send..

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
11-17-2011 01:08 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

Mother of god. Where do you get the energy lol? If I had the time, I'd play devils advocate, and throw in a few of my views here and there, and maybe point out a few fallacies or something, but I don't... It's like you're on crack 24/7. I never even responded in our last argument for this very reason...

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2011 01:42 PM by Absnt.)
11-17-2011 01:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fanatic

The shit you say is insanely stupid. It'd be like you saying, "Gravity is EVIL and a scientist concept that ruins mankind!" I'd call you a fucking idiot. your arguments don't deserve a logical response. You wouldn't listen anyway as was the case with Derchin.

Live until you die
11-17-2011 03:21 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

zomg :(

[Image: glorious666.png]
11-17-2011 04:45 PM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

In all fairness, society has provided you so far with:

-food
-water
-a roof over your head
-the PC you use to connect to the internet
-the internet you use to write this
-and a whole shitload of other things.

So unless you single-handedly hunt, go to the river to get water everyday, build houses, assemble PCs from scrap metal, discover means of networking and do a lot of shit daily, society has done a whole deal for you.

I'm not trying to side with corporations or EVIL CAPITALISM, but most of the stuff you use daily was, at some point in time, made by society. Would it kill you to not see the world as an evil place for once? Would it kill you to acknowledge that man has as much good will in him as he does greed?

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2011 04:56 PM by Faby.)
11-17-2011 04:55 PM
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)

(11-17-2011 11:50 AM)SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Wrote:  The problem with this culture is that we've forgotten how to live on earth. We don't see the beauty in the sunset, the liveliness of the trees and masterpieces of mother earth. We are far removed, and we are selfish and only focused one external material gain. We don't care for sharing, or effect ion. God we don't even view each other as fucking equal, or humans, we're all just fucking identities that society pins on us! You just a black girl, or you're an gay asian, you must only eat this and act this way.

If we had forgotten how to live on this Earth then we would be dead. I see the beauty in the sunset, I enjoy nature and so do many other people. I just think you're making huge generalisations. But why should people have to see the masterpieces of mother Earth? Maybe being selfish is just part of being human, but human nature is an entirely different subject and is not definite so... I think you take a look at a people and assume that is how the whole of society is.

Quote:Being productive in your life shouldn't be your lives main goal.

I think, as you get older, you will realise this actually isn't many peoples main goal at all. Trust me when I was younger I used to think a little bit like you. No I didn't become brainwashed, I just learnt a bit more and became a bit more logical.

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
11-17-2011 04:57 PM
DUBAS Offline
Pseudonymously Perspicacious Cherub

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Interesting question. Here's what I think:

Society has changed a lot. Contributing to society in the past is OK, fitting in was too, everything. However, society's changed a lot over the past few years, making it nearly impossivle to accomplish anything, it's as if you're being chained down.

The principles of society are good, according to Wikipedia:

''A society[...] is a group of people related to each other through persistent relations, or a large social grouping sharing the same geographical or virtual territory, subject to the same political authority and dominant cultural expectations. ''

So, yes, the principles of society are fine, however the way it's applied to modern life, or the way society is now makes it a complete mess.

I'm really not sure if I should do something for society or not, but just in case I would; it could help technological evolution and even psychological evolution.

At least that's what I think.

[Image: pjprop.gif]

The world is a dangerous place. Not because of the people who are evil; but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
11-18-2011 02:12 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:psychological evolution
I would totally be productive towards society's psychological evolution if I knew how. Well, maybe SS is helping a little bit, but I wanna do moar.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
11-18-2011 02:27 AM
Levio_Sah Away
^this person is awesome

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

(11-17-2011 04:25 AM)Desu Wrote:  
(11-17-2011 03:54 AM)Levio_Sah Wrote:  Um, nothing? Don't contribute to it and try not to make semi-pointless threads while you're at it.

This isn't pointless, and OP's question is actually very good to think about. The answer to the question can have so many implications in your personal life, if you wish it.

I think a common problem is when people want to "fit" in to society, they desire it, they want to perform certain behaviors that are common in that social context. But the same people and processes that the individual might use as a source of joy and direction in their life, may later lead to great pain and depression.

I think the reason why productivity and industry (as opposed to idleness and pleasures) is valued so much is due to the prevailing value of progress and an emphasis on the individual in western culture.

It is pointless because the question is hypothetical. It's already obvious that Stadium shouldn't be productive for society.
11-18-2011 04:48 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Being productive youvebeenthunderstruck 16 4,204 05-27-2008 10:39 AM
Last Post: Will