RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NEETs and Hikkikomoris
DUBAS Offline
Pseudonymously Perspicacious Cherub

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
NEETs and Hikkikomoris

(I might be getting annoying, having written so many articles in so little time, however I have to admit, some of these I've already written before but have found nowhere to speak my mind. This is the perfect website where I can freely speak and have people who can agree with me or debate it with actual, valid points. You don't have to read it, (although I'd appreciate it if you did) I just want to say some things in my mind. Anwyays, here goes.)

I've recently been watching an anime called ''Welcome to the NHK'', a really interesting anime. It's basically about a NEET who's depressed and his life changes forever when certain events occur.

Now, what exactly is a NEET? The acronym NEET stands for ''Not in Education Employment or Training'' and was first used in the UK, however it is now a term that many countries use. Another way to define this is a ''hikkikomori'', which is practically the same thing. You lock yourself up in an apartment, you go out only for groceries or collecting welfare and you want nothing to do with society. Nothing to do with human contact. Just alone time.

I don't know about you all, but this seems like an ideal life to me. However, these people are looked down upon. They're looked as obstacles to the growing of society, or to be more precise: the government's plan to control us all.

Think about it. It'd be ideal, at least to me. I don't find it the least bit depressing but actually relaxing. However, in the series I mentioned earlier the character is portrayed as a depressed college drop-out, ashamed of himself. He then meets a girl, and decides to stop being a NEET. (Spoilers) The series ends by the character going back to college, getting by the degree, dating the girl and now living a normal life.(Spoilers end) This is the messed up part.

I view that differently. I see going from the life of a hikkikomori to a normal life as a downgrade instead of an upgrade. He's the one who chose to be away from society, afraid of the government and conspiracies he thinks are set by the government. I related to him at that point, I felt somewhat like him. But really, why go back to normal life? I'd feel just fine as a NEET.

In fact, I would aspire to be a successful NEET. One that's economically intelligent, handles the money wisely and can end up living as a NEET for the rest of his lifetime. It's the ideal life to me. Watching anime and TV all day and such, away from the stupid people society has been creating.

But why look down to a NEET? Why look down to a hikkikomori? Could it be that what the main character in the series says is true? He states that it's all a conspiracy, the government wants to create NEETs and hikkikomoris and brainwash the people that DO go to school, in a way that the people who DO go to school and get a job have someone to look down to.

It's a cartoon, I know that but you can't deny the fact that it may be true. It might just be the way that the government wants society set up. Anyone, right now, give me a reason to look down to a NEET.

Because they don't have a job? How does having a job make you more important than anyone?

Because they don't want to work? So what? Maybe it's because all those people out there are so messed up they just want to stay away.

Because they're ''stupid'' and ''failures''? I doubt any are failures, I would think most of them just don't want anything to do with this messed up society.

Think about it deeply and there's no reason to look down on them. Some people would want to be a hikkikomori but fear public opinion or being looked down on. I wouldn't be ashamed.

Not to inspire you to become a NEET, but would you be one? Would you become a NEET? If not, why would you rather not be a NEET?

[Image: pjprop.gif]

The world is a dangerous place. Not because of the people who are evil; but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
11-16-2011 07:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
RE: NEETs and Hikkikomoris

Quote:The acronym NEET stands for ''Not in Education Employment or Training''
In that case, I've been a NEET for several years. No reason whatsoever to be depressed about it. Technically, all self-employed people are then NEETs. Unless they count any form of 'work' as 'employment'... which I kind of doubt. It's great not having any obligations, nowhere you have to go every day, no schedule, just do whatever the hell you want. People are jealous of me.

So... I dunno. I also watched that anime, it was really interesting. I always thought the main reason the guy wanted to be normal was 'cause he had a fear of being around people and wanted to overcome that. Overcoming fear is a good thing... but yeah, the story didn't really take into account the freedom involved in not having obligations and stuff. Not that the guy really took advantage of his freedom much... being too busy hiding from the world and all that. Razz

PS: You're not annoying at all. Feel free to post as many articles as you want. Biggrin

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
11-16-2011 09:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DUBAS Offline

Thanks for the reply SoulRiser!

I have two years of school left, but if I find myself to be financially intelligent enough to handle the money I have so far and obtain benefit I plan on becoming a NEET. I'll just finish school just in case economy gets ugly and I actually need a job. It truly is an ideal world to be so carefree and well, FREE! Biggrin

Also, you're the first person I know who has actually seen the anime. I found it to be really underrated. Anyways, I really liked it Biggrin

The world is a dangerous place. Not because of the people who are evil; but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
11-16-2011 09:59 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Welcome and interesting post.

Interesting not to many people saw that anime here(not from what I can find).
Have you red the manga(found it a bit better).

Oh yeah on that being a successful Hikkikomori the ending to the anime is a more bright looking hopeful scene. The manga ending the main character is still unemployed by the end and misaki doesn't magically go back to school either and is still distant and depressed though clinging to Saito so I believe you would like the manga better as its portrayed more believably but I warn its a bit more depressing.

Now on topic the reason Saito was so down was because Japan has a very strong influence and hold on success and overachieving that doesn't get sidetracked like it does for us here in the US due to more various creations of thinking.

Anyway in a way I'm already a Hikkikomori as I've been unemployed for coming December close to 2 years, I have no aims or qualms about the future and most of what I do ranges from occasionally doing temp work for money or exercising, taking care of grandma or being on the internet while I try to distance myself from real life.
I have the desire to get cash for things I would like(a new graphics card for my pc) but other than that I could care less for the future.
In this new world I know there will be no retirement, the future is bleak and there is nothing much there but who cares its better to enjoy the now eh.

Anyway I'm glad I found somebody who has seen this and I never figured you much for a watcher of anime Soul(least I figured you would like cute ones).

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2011 03:44 AM by HeartofShadows.)
11-22-2011 03:43 AM
Luizao876 Offline
Everyone's favorite Huezillian

Given 22 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Never watched or read the anime/manga. Maybe I can find a anime website and start watching during school vacations.

Maybe being a NEET would be very great, specially if you have a good financial life (not about how much rich you are, but about how you manage your money.)
11-22-2011 03:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DUBAS Offline

Thanks everyone!

Yeah, I've heard of a case where a NEET became a billionare(in yen) through taking advantage of many companies. Interesting stuff.

11-22-2011 04:02 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

(11-22-2011 04:02 AM)DUBAS Wrote:  Thanks everyone!

Yeah, I've heard of a case where a NEET became a billionare(in yen) through taking advantage of many companies. Interesting stuff.

Reminds me of another series.
In chaos head the visual novel the main character is a Hikkikomori who still attends school. Thing is the main character narrowed the calender down to where he only attends the minimum amount of days required to graduate school and for test days and other than that never goes to school or anywhere.
He bought a huge shed for his place from his dad who owned it on top of his company building roof and he earns his income from playing an MMO.
When he goes to school he never bothers with anybody, tries to avoid people and when he leaves goes to an internet cafe to play the MMO with a different character on different IP.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
11-22-2011 04:14 AM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Very possible, but it's risky.

Being a billionaire in yen isn't a huge amount though.

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
11-22-2011 07:20 AM
DUBAS Offline

(11-22-2011 07:20 AM)Liquid Wrote:  

Very possible, but it's risky.

Being a billionaire in yen isn't a huge amount though.

Yeah, but it's enough to live by I guess.

11-22-2011 07:52 AM
Kim Jong Il Offline
Best Leader

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

I routinely exterminate basement dwellerfags in Best Korea by pumping gas into the homes of citizens

Unfortunately this has the accidental side effect of killing everyone in the house but collateral damage will always appear sooner or later

[Image: north-korea.gif]
Best Country in the World Represent
11-24-2011 02:18 AM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

How do you get money (or a secure income) without a job?
I need school because I want a job because I want money because I want to live.

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
11-26-2011 10:25 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:How do you get money (or a secure income) without a job?
Run your own business.

Yeah, can be risky if you don't know what you're doing. But it's probably worth it.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
11-27-2011 09:20 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

(11-27-2011 09:20 PM)SoulRiser Wrote:  
Quote:How do you get money (or a secure income) without a job?
Run your own business.

Yeah, can be risky if you don't know what you're doing. But it's probably worth it.
It's risky and it's not for everyone. Plus you need some starting cash to get started.

It's good for some people, but not everyone can just run a business. The system here in Australia is designed that you have to go to school to get a job otherwise you either run a business or do a trade (which not everyone is interested in).

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
11-27-2011 09:34 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:It's risky and it's not for everyone.
True.

Quote:Plus you need some starting cash to get started.
Depends on the business.

Hidden stuff:
11-27-2011 09:36 PM
DUBAS Offline

A lot of people get their "starter money" from their parents and unemployment until they find a job they can work at from home.

11-28-2011 03:40 AM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Sounds like a badass way to live unless you get the money from welfare. I don't like the idea of taking other people's money because I'm too lazy to get my own.

No, this is Patrick.
11-30-2011 01:56 PM