RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Away from the Herd
DUBAS Offline
Pseudonymously Perspicacious Cherub

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Away from the Herd

School. A world every human being in the age of reason fears, or in any case; hates with passion. However we must all face a single fact, even though lots of people here deny it; it's here, and you're gonna have to deal with it. You're going to have to deal with it if you want a job, because that's the way society's been set, that's the way we've been put into a ''herd''.

They raise you in school and get you ready for the slaughterhouse which is something we all fear (probably not as much as school) known as ''adult life''. Yeah, call it a brutal or a pessimistic way of thinking about it but it's the truth. We've been put into a herd; having the same opinions, same ideologies, same way of thinking about certain subject. And what helps raise you to be part of this ''slaughterhouse'' is, well, school.

School has already started to brainwash us children and teenagers to find what they do to us to be just fine. At least in my school. People are ''memorizing'' everything, agreeing with the teacher on everything, not discussing a single thing. These people are the ones in the herd. The ones that are walking towards this slaughterhouse of 8 hours of work, 6 days a week on some lousy job. Because that's what 90% of those ''sheep'' are going to become, take 10 years of university but if you can't formulate your own ideas, have your own opinions, etc... then that will qualify you as someone who works for someone else. Someone who takes orders.

However, I and probably everyone on these forums is away from the herd. I, for example, have already walked away from the herd. I'm now but a stray sheep in the path to becoming something that matters. Or at least I hope so.

Now, don't get me wrong. By escaping the herd I don't mean dropping out of school(although that's a faster but riskier solution). By escaping the herd I'm talking about a way of thinking. Everyone on this site, by hating school and by wanting to get rid of it has escaped the herd. Congrats. However, the deal now is staying away from the herd. You can't let them get you back in the herd, you can't let them influence your opinion, your ideologies, your way of thinking. Don't let them change anything about you because then you wouldn't be you. Once out of the herd you have to stay away.

Ace the tests, do the homework, go to school; have some motivation for it. But don't let them influence your way of thinking. No matter how valid the teacher's opinions seem against yours, don't change your way of thinking, if you do; you'll be back in the herd. It may not seem like you are, but slowly you will once again be part of the so-called herd.

We need our freedom of speech and society's slowly taking that away from us indirectly via school. But not by revolution we're going to get rid of it. Simply don't pay attention and be smart enough to keep your own opinion firm and strong. That's how you stay away from the herd. It seems obvious, you've probably been doing that all this time and this site probably revolves around that idea. However, think of it like this. We're all stray sheep making our paths towards adulthood, away from the herd. Some are building walls, some are building bridges. However we go further. We're building stairs.

By staying out of the herd, by the time you reach university you're 80% assured to be a somebody. Somebody who doesn't work for someone else. Someone who will make history and not just following the herd, being the same. Thinking alike and dressing alike. We can make history. We are of the few who have managed to escape this herd.

So stay away from that herd. Let's join hands and work towards building our own stairs and rise to the top. Let's see all these people making fun of you for having your own opinion walking towards the slaughterhouse that is life. And guess what? We're going to be seeing this from the very top. From the clouds.

Let's wake up folks, school is something you're going to have to deal with, however, the ideas that school forces into your mind is not.

It's just a thought guys, let me know how you feel. Oh, and thanks for reading to the ones who did. Appreciate you reading my first post Biggrin

[Image: pjprop.gif]

The world is a dangerous place. Not because of the people who are evil; but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
11-10-2011 06:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)
RE: Away from the Herd

Welcome

Very nice first post.

School is part of the bigger picture. It prepares you for work mentality, it reinforces that false sense of authority right from the start.

Back when I was in school, I constantly wanted to be out of there. Many times was I close to flat out refusal. I never did though. Like the humans we are moral obligation is our weakness. I'm much more philososphically aware now then I was before.

I cringe at the thought of a full time job all day and everyday for the rest of my days.

I have my heart set on gathering up a small bit of money, I want my own sustainable log cabin in the woods. Or a more tropical place and live off the land.

The only person you need to please is yourself. I'm not interesting in becoming something that matters, time will take care of the human race anyway. Although I'm always open to spiritual stuff, who knows.

I dream of a world where school isn't compulsory and chuldhoods are spent actively exploring the world and their own personal interests.

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
11-10-2011 06:57 AM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

I liked your post! Welcome to the boards!

Si jeni?

I agree with what you said.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
11-10-2011 07:01 AM
DUBAS Offline

Thank youu! Biggrin

And to the ''not wanting something that matters'' I agree and can relate. I don't mind becoming something that matters or not. Although I'd prefer to be something that matters, it's okay if not. However, I don't want to be something that doesnt matter. Thanks again!

The world is a dangerous place. Not because of the people who are evil; but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
11-10-2011 07:01 AM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello, nice post Welcome

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
11-10-2011 08:17 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

Amazing post and welcome.

You should join the EFO: http://www.edfreedom.org/

You'd be perfect there.

Previously known as Derchin.
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2011 08:21 AM by Miller0700.)
11-10-2011 08:20 AM
DUBAS Offline

Thank you all! And I'm joining the EFO right now. I've read a few things on it and I think it'll be a fine site to express my thoughts about the modern educational system. Anyways, thank you! Smile

11-11-2011 02:02 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Epic first post. Welcome Smile

Totally agreed. While compulsory school should be done away with, it isn't going to happen overnight, and the best that everyone can do in the meantime is to not let it affect them. It's not easy, but it's necessary. If you let it get you down, you won't be as happy as you can be otherwise. You'll settle for a lot less than you're worth. You'll be afraid to go after what you really want in life. You'll worry about what other people think of you.

So whatever you do, question everything. Especially things they tell you to never question... you deserve better. (By "you" I mean everyone)

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
11-11-2011 10:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RandomTroll Offline
They see me trollin', they hatin'.

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

Hi there, as many said before, nice first post, welcome to the community.
11-11-2011 10:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Herd Mentality - The Schooling System Miller0700 27 9,175 11-08-2011 09:06 AM
Last Post: Miller0700