RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Why I hate school as a teacher
sillysparrowness Offline
Time Lord in training

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Why I hate school as a teacher

Well, no one said a teacher can't rant on school! I for my part am confessing what I hate about my school, why my collegues must distrust me and why I sometimes hide in the teacher's toilet in my new video (don't you prefer watching to reading, too?): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5N_WcKDuF8 (if you are interested)

Guessing that you're mostly pupils here on the forum, I'm hoping it is somewhat comforting that teacher's have a hard time, too. For entirely different reasons though, of course. Not comparing.

Hang in there! Smile

I'm not a native speaker, please be lenient.
10-29-2011 02:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)
RE: Why I hate school as a teacher

Ha! I am a substitute myself and while I plan on being a child psychologist not a teacher I have experienced the ridiculousness of school. I think I hate it more than you. I like teaching but not the way the educational system says I have to. I like teaching to people who enjoy what they are learning and want to learn it.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2011 06:04 AM by UnschoolShqiponjë.)
10-29-2011 03:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)

Nice video Smile And bewarned, this isn't the place for the faint of heart.

Teaching should be a relaxing profession. Hiding in the bathroom is perfectely understandable, it's not a 'sad' thing. I'm guessing you aren't as anti-school as most of us, well, it didn't come across in the video, but it's cool.

I found that the school cirriculum/timetable was the most destructive tool in school education. It harms learning and teaching. A lot of teachers simply strictly stick to that term plan and nothing new gets taught. It destroys creativity, the teacher should have the freedom to teach how he/she wants.

Most of us here have experience of this. The lessons are mostly soul crushing. A lot of people find lessons boring, and no matter how much the teacher tries, it is very hard to learn when people are bored because the only thing that is on their minds is 'when is this lesson going to end'?

And it's no surprise, it's natural for humans to steer towards freedom. Children should not have to be forced to surrender 12 years of their childhood just because authority claims they have to. I class it as slavery in one of its worst forms, because people feel they have a moral obligation to go to school. And it's hard to break that.

I've gone and left school now, people would say that I'd miss it. I don't, I don't miss a thing about it. I feel liberated and I have a greater freedom to learn and explore the world. I found I was quite a hateful person when I was in school, everything changed after. I'm now seeking to do a bit of travelling and then live a quiet life in my own sustainable log cabin in a natural area where I can be at peace.

I mean it's somewhat comforting to know that the teachers have a hard time too, but only if they can see it from a students point of view. Because from a stundets point of view, it is your choice to have a hard time. The students don't have a choice in having a hard time.

I promote not hanging in there, but taking a step for yourself and instead of hanging, you drop into personal freedom. It's being in human nature that we so desire and we should embrace as much of it as we can. People have every right to speak at the back of the class when they don't ask to be there.

Welcome to the forums sillysparrowness Welcome

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
10-29-2011 04:36 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Welcome teacher and we have another one here called the cancer who pops in every now and then. As fir hiding in the bathroom I used to do that alot with an mp3 player before I got the balls to go to the library to skip class and read.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
10-29-2011 05:38 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

Welcome aboard. Lots of students. Lots of drop outs. Lots of graduates. And very few teachers here. I'm glad you can see it from our point of view, or at the very least have tried to see it from our point of view anyways.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
10-29-2011 05:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

I subscribed to your channel and liked your video. I think it's nice to have a teacher on board the SS boat. Welcome aboard and interested to see what you have to say! I've even considered becoming a teacher myself, even though I hate school, I just feel that if I was a teacher I can fuck whatever they tell me to teach and I'll teach them what they really need to know and do it as liberal as possible. And no homework Smile

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
10-29-2011 09:48 AM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

Meh, from the video it doesn't really sound like you can't stand school as much as we do. If youre a teacher, I would suggest learning a bit more of our side, you know... a different point of view. Listen here :http://schoolsucks.podomatic.com/. The guy who made these is a teacher too. You may be a bit surprised. Welcome.

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
10-29-2011 10:50 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)

Teachers like you annoy the crap out of me. That video absolutely screams 'I want to be creative but I'm not so I became a teacher.' I'm the same way, but at least I have the decency to consider working in the public school system as a manifestation of the dismal failure my life has become.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
10-29-2011 11:32 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Oooh, teacher fight! ... on SS! .. that'll be a first. Laugh

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
10-29-2011 01:50 PM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

(10-29-2011 01:50 PM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Oooh, teacher fight! ... on SS! .. that'll be a first. Laugh

Rofl

Previously known as Derchin.
10-29-2011 01:51 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

(10-29-2011 11:32 AM)TheCancer Wrote:  at least I have the decency to consider working in the public school system as a manifestation of the dismal failure my life has become.

Hug

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
10-31-2011 06:10 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

(10-29-2011 11:32 AM)TheCancer Wrote:  Teachers like you annoy the crap out of me. That video absolutely screams 'I want to be creative but I'm not so I became a teacher.'

Reminds me of the quote, "He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches."

Previously known as Derchin.
10-31-2011 06:26 AM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Nice video. Smile

Welcome to S-S!
10-31-2011 10:18 AM
sillysparrowness Offline
Time Lord in training

Thank you all for the attention and for welcoming me! Smile

I didn't expect that much understanding, to be honest. Clearly, I chose to be where I am and you are right, school is a much better place for the teachers than for the pupils, no doubt about that. I remember my school time very well, as well as the desperate longing for it to pass. And still, even as a pupil I don't think I hated it as much as some, or maybe most of you do.
I spend my school time in a mix of resignation and acceptance. I knew I wanted to go to uni, so I had to get past school. I can't remember expecting school to teach me something really useful (maybe exept languages), which is probably why I get on pupils nerves by repeatedly telling them how they could use the things I'm teaching them in real life.

But I have to say, although I experienced some real suffering, mostly in maths and latin lessons and also spend what is easily the most time of my life at school, I didn't find it soul crushing and I am genuinely shocked that some of you do.
I think you need something to protect you from inside, a happy place where you can go when it's to much to take. It is kind of obvious how to deal with boredom (I don't expect my pupils to hang on my lips at every second and don't insist on it), when it comes to deal with the anger and aggression some subjects or teachers or general conditions provoke, I find it heps to channel your feelings into some creative output.

This is why I don't quite understand the reproach that schools kills creativity. It's true that the curriculum is counterproductive when it comes to that, I'm not a fan of curriculums either and sometimes make a sport out of bypassing it, which doesn't work with every subject though.

But are we assuming that creativity is something you need to learn or that you can be forced to possess? If you have it in you, it will break it's way. That's what I think anyway.

And while it's certainly not a natural state to be in, but a bound of society, I think calling it "slavery" is a bit too much. It simply reflects the somewhat pityful state we'll find ouselves in for basically our whole lives, tied up in responsibilites and obligations. It is a debatable question whether it is possible to find (true) personal freedom within the structures of society, so unless you choose to quit social bounds, you may never will. (On a sidenote, and this may be sad, but if freedom really is part of human nature, why are so few of us truly free? I myself haven't chosen to have a grandma who is becoming senile and a mum I need to support, but I would never dream of abandoning them, because it's the family I love and I feel obliged to. Such is life, what can you do?)

So, seriously, I do promote hanging in there (or, indeed, drop out of school, if that works with your life plans), and
@Elfy
whilst I truly appreciate your comment that did give me quite a few things to think about, no, sorry, people don't have every right to speak at the back of the class when they don't ask to be there. I could reach for a hundred inaproppriate similies, but let's just say that you can't act exclusively self-serving when being in the middle of a whole group of people. You can't change the fact that we act on the basis of some contract which is compulsory education. I am a practical person, which is why I say and mean it: Deal with it.

On the other hand, I wholeheartedly wish there was no compulsory school attendance. Maybe up to a certain age, yes, to teach everybody to read and write at least, but then it really should be up to the individual to choose. I have a collegue who has quite unusual views about these things, who would not only agree with me now, he'd probably take it ten steps further. I jolly glad to have him at our school, it's always a mind-fucking experience and I think it is vital to face up to the unusual instead of enclosing yourself in your own limited believes.
Which is why I think of this forum as an enrichment, because ever and anon it seems to testify to more than the usual venting.

11-03-2011 02:43 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

At least you're open minded enough to consider that school isn't unquestioningly perfect in every single way and should be worshipped. Laugh

Quote:I think you need something to protect you from inside, a happy place where you can go when it's to much to take. It is kind of obvious how to deal with boredom (I don't expect my pupils to hang on my lips at every second and don't insist on it), when it comes to deal with the anger and aggression some subjects or teachers or general conditions provoke, I find it heps to channel your feelings into some creative output.
Agreed. But while I did that and a lot of other people might do that, not everyone will. Some people just have no desire whatsoever to draw or write or whatever. Some just want to 'escape' some other way. Some just get horribly depressed. Different people react in different ways...

Quote:This is why I don't quite understand the reproach that schools kills creativity. It's true that the curriculum is counterproductive when it comes to that, I'm not a fan of curriculums either and sometimes make a sport out of bypassing it, which doesn't work with every subject though.
Well, if it's not encouraging creativity, what is it doing then? Just being completely neutral all the time? Sure, I could see people being creative as an act of rebellion against school, but not everyone is going to do that, and a lot of people don't even realize what's going on. They think art class is "being creative", and that's all there is to it. Or that the way you write essays in English is the only way to write anything. Not everyone even thinks further than that. They just accept what the adults say because they're the ones who are supposed to know what they're doing. This totally makes sense from an evolution standpoint, I mean, the adults are supposed to teach the young people how stuff works and whatnot. It's not supposed to be a trick... you're not supposed to have to question the adults as well as everything else all the time.

Quote:But are we assuming that creativity is something you need to learn or that you can be forced to possess? If you have it in you, it will break it's way. That's what I think anyway.
Depends on how much school (and other things) has broken the person's will and how much they feel like just sitting around depressed and not doing anything at all. It happens.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
11-03-2011 04:00 AM
sillysparrowness Offline
Time Lord in training

Agreed. School really isn't an ideal place when it comes to creativity. But...

Quote: Well, if it's not encouraging creativity, what is it doing then?
Let's not forget that new input triggers creativity as well. And bad input can do the deal as much as positively inspiring stuff, I think.

Quote: Sure, I could see people being creative as an act of rebellion against school, but not everyone is going to do that, and a lot of people don't even realize what's going on. They think art class is "being creative", and that's all there is to it. Or that the way you write essays in English is the only way to write anything. Not everyone even thinks further than that. They just accept what the adults say because they're the ones who are supposed to know what they're doing.

This is a problem indeed. As much as I try to accept different takes on the subjects, I sometimes have to reject them because it's not conform to the norm I'm supposed to teach.

[quote]But are we assuming that creativity is something you need to learn or that you can be forced to possess? If you have it in you, it will break it's way. That's what I think anyway.
Depends on how much school (and other things) has broken the person's will and how much they feel like just sitting around depressed and not doing anything at all. It happens.

Yes, I guess. This forum has already taught me so much. Wakes me up in my happy place. Good to take a look on the other side.

11-04-2011 06:44 AM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Someone who argues with logic. Hug
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2011 12:10 PM by IllusoryDeath.)
11-04-2011 11:51 AM
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)

(11-03-2011 02:43 AM)sillysparrowness Wrote:  @Elfy
whilst I truly appreciate your comment that did give me quite a few things to think about, no, sorry, people don't have every right to speak at the back of the class when they don't ask to be there. I could reach for a hundred inaproppriate similies, but let's just say that you can't act exclusively self-serving when being in the middle of a whole group of people. You can't change the fact that we act on the basis of some contract which is compulsory education. I am a practical person, which is why I say and mean it: Deal with it.

The world is a weird place, there is no set rights and we weren't born with an instruction manual. If someone finds talking to someone else more interesting than the lesson then by heck they're going to do it because its rational. You can say 'deal with it' and I can simply act against it.

Quote:And while it's certainly not a natural state to be in, but a bound of society, I think calling it "slavery" is a bit too much. It simply reflects the somewhat pityful state we'll find ouselves in for basically our whole lives, tied up in responsibilites and obligations.

I view it quite similarly to slavery. You're forced to go, forced to do work in return for disrespect (depending on who's teaching) and no pay. There will be those tied up in responsibilities and obligations and those that aren't. There are plenty of people that do live quite a free life, some in society and some away from society.

Quote:This is why I don't quite understand the reproach that schools kills creativity.

School killed my desire to learn and I never did much new. Never really did anything that creative, just same shit different day. You could say that was my fault, but I was too down with school that it just put me off and I was doing everything to escape that school life. Mostly gaming because it offered a good form of escapism.

Quote:On the other hand, I wholeheartedly wish there was no compulsory school attendance. Maybe up to a certain age, yes, to teach everybody to read and write at least, but then it really should be up to the individual to choose.

This I agree with Smile

I honestly understand where you are coming from though, we just have different views about life and what life is.

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
11-04-2011 04:39 PM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

My English Teacher in year 10 left at the end of the year because of how increasingly bureaucratic the school was becoming and how he couldn't teach in the way that he wanted to. How much needless paperwork do you have to do as a teacher?
11-04-2011 10:37 PM
sillysparrowness Offline
Time Lord in training

(11-04-2011 10:37 PM)BaronVonStrangle Wrote:  How much needless paperwork do you have to do as a teacher?

Quite a bit, and it's annoying every time, but not enough to have me leave, that's for sure. But this is at my school, in German school system, it might be different elsewhere.

11-12-2011 08:02 AM
Story and Myth Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Hi there.
I watched your video, and I loved that image of you knitting a scarf and socializing with chickens. Also your schizophrenia is entertaining.
So, I'd like to share some of the tips my parents have vented to me in their times of anger and/or wanting to socialize with me but having no knowledge of teen culture whatsoever.
1. Pupils. Have something that can be interesting to everyone in your classroom that doesn't detract from the overall learning. This can be in the form of posters, books, knickknacks on the bookshelves... anything really. My dad has a fish tank in his classroom, but he occasionally has to cover it up when his students are too easily distracted by it. Pick a favorite tv show or movie that is interesting to both you and your student's age group, and you will have some students wanting to talk to you about it. My mom has Japanese anime posters on the walls, and can talk about some of them, and dad has his sports posters. Don't allow this to take too much time away from the learning, but it can be a great way to get students interested if you can tie it into your subject. My favorite teacher of all time is my AP US History teacher, and he showed lots of History Channel and Military Channel documentary clips in his class, as well as popular songs from the time. Students that are genuinely interested in what is going on are generally easier and more rewarding to work with.
2. Broken copiers. My parents will trade off on this one- if one school's isn't working, chances are the other one's is. I don't really know how to fix one. :(
3. Have a student volunteer go to get the sponge wet. Make sure it's someone you know won't use the time to go to their locker or wander aimlessly.
4. My dad buys a 100 pack from OfficeMax at the beginning of the school year and keeps it in his desk. My mom has a deal with the janitors- any pencils they pick up, they give to her. I've been using the same pencil since freshman year, and I always keep it in the same place so I always know where it is. Any of these work.
5. Do your chickens wake you up early? Consider coming before school to use it, when other teachers are sleeping. That'll give you peace and quiet.
6. I don't know.
7. I've never been in a teacher bathroom, but the student ones aren't that bad at my school. (At least the girl ones aren't; I can't speak for the boys.)
8. I don't know.
9. Yes, noise can be a problem. I often go to bed and wake up early to do my homework, since I can't concentrate with my parents watching a movie and my little sister on the phone all distracting me. My ipod headphones have a built-in sound blocker, which really helps at school when I'm trying to work but the guys behind me want to boast about swimming scores. Yes, you do come across as a bit anti-social, but it's easier than trying to carry on three conversations at once.
10. It is ok to hide in the bathroom. I have hidden in a bathroom, and I'm sure many others have as well. Bathrooms lend themselves to hiding. Just don't stay in there so long no one else gets to use it. Wink

I hope this helps, and good luck changing the world one child at a time. It is a thankless and difficult job, but I wish more people like you were trying to. It would probably keep a whole lot more of us happy and out of these forums.

"I have been allotted months of futility,
and nights of misery have been assigned to me.
When I lie down I think, ‘How long before I get up?’
The night drags on, and I toss and turn until dawn." Job 7:3-4

Both of my parents are teachers. My body is bound, but my mind is free.
11-14-2011 01:25 PM
sillysparrowness Offline
Time Lord in training

Hey, thank you sooo much! These are really good tips!
I found out about some of them myself - like 5. (I'm at school an hour early. Means I get up at 6am, I arrive at 7am. Always. Even if school starts later for me. And I'm NOT a morning person! I take an hour to wake up and be ready to channel the energy to teach, that's why. I really really wish they would start school at 9am. You know, all the researches saying the same think: It would be healthyer to start later, biological rythm etc... Why does no one care?)
Anyway, thanks for taking the trouble to write all this to me! Smile

11-19-2011 03:30 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

(11-19-2011 03:30 AM)sillysparrowness Wrote:  Hey, thank you sooo much! These are really good tips!
I found out about some of them myself - like 5. (I'm at school an hour early. Means I get up at 6am, I arrive at 7am. Always. Even if school starts later for me. And I'm NOT a morning person! I take an hour to wake up and be ready to channel the energy to teach, that's why. I really really wish they would start school at 9am. You know, all the researches saying the same think: It would be healthyer to start later, biological rythm etc... Why does no one care?)
...Ugh, doesn't it feel terrible to force yourself to wake up early when you're not a morning person?...

[Image: glorious666.png]
11-20-2011 04:05 PM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

(11-19-2011 03:30 AM)sillysparrowness Wrote:  Hey, thank you sooo much! These are really good tips!
I naturally wake up around 7. School has me waking up at 5:30. : |

Who am I? Who are YOU?
11-20-2011 10:23 PM
sillysparrowness Offline
Time Lord in training

...Ugh, doesn't it feel terrible to force yourself to wake up early when you're not a morning person?...

[/quote]

YES IT DOES!

I naturally wake up around 7. School has me waking up at 5:30. : |

[/quote]

And 5.30 is just... that's... painful! I'm so sorry! Sadhug

(This post was last modified: 11-26-2011 09:20 PM by sillysparrowness.)
11-26-2011 09:19 PM
Story and Myth Offline
Revolutionary

I'm glad you appreciate them! As for the morning thing, I know my school would and kind of wants to, but the bus schedule doesn't allow it. They use the same buses to pick up the elementary school kids as the middle and high school kids. So I'll... actually, this is convoluted, so here's a timeline:

5:30- middle and high schoolers wake up.
6:30- middle and high schoolers are picked up by the bus.
7:00- middle and high schoolers are dropped off at their respective schools/ elementary students wake up.
8:00- elementary students are picked up by the bus.
8:30- elementary students are dropped off at school.
~school stuff happens~
2:40- middle and high schoolers are let out of school and get on the bus.
3:30- I, the last person on my bus route, am dropped off at home. All middle and high schoolers are at home by this point.
3:40- elementary students are let out of school and get on the bus. (Theoretically, anyway. Usually the buses are late.)
4:20- my little sister comes home, and most elementary students are at home by now.

As you can see, the middle and high schoolers are already home by the time the elementary students get dropped off, so they can watch the younger kids until their parents get home. If the start time was extended until 9, some elementary school kids might not get home until... 6:20, leaving them, in the wintertime, coming home from school in the dark. That would really mess with the extracurricular activities. The school system can't afford more buses and bus drivers, so that's out. And flipping the schedule, so that the elementary kids wake up earlier, would give them a good hour at home, alone, with no one to watch them.
So that's why few schools change their schedules, even if they want to.

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2011 10:27 AM by Story and Myth.)
11-28-2011 10:24 AM
sillysparrowness Offline
Time Lord in training

Yeah, makes sense. Still... *complaining* *andcomplainingsomemore* *becausecomplainingisoddlysatisfying*

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2011 05:33 AM by sillysparrowness.)
12-04-2011 05:33 AM
Story and Myth Offline
Revolutionary

(12-04-2011 05:33 AM)sillysparrowness Wrote:  Yeah, makes sense. Still... *complaining* *andcomplainingsomemore* *becausecomplainingisoddlysatisfying*
Trust me, I totally agree. I'd love to be able to get to school literally any other way. (My bus is so crowded that some people have to sit 3 to a seat. We are high schoolers. We do not fit 3 to a seat.) But so far, I haven't been able to figure out any alternative.

12-15-2011 12:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I can't hate school enough Sunflower 7 13,320 06-24-2017 08:53 PM
Last Post: stevehein
  i hate school so much.. lonelypanda 3 3,970 03-02-2017 12:26 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  I Hate School Guest 13 7,171 01-21-2017 08:54 AM
Last Post: Marlena403
  Is it OK that kids hate school? lisafromjackson 12 10,897 01-03-2017 08:11 AM
Last Post: Superkamiguru
  [Quiz] How much do you hate school? SoulRiser 16 13,516 12-19-2016 12:16 PM
Last Post: Superkamiguru
  What to do if you hate school [WIP] SoulRiser 5 7,029 12-11-2016 06:32 PM
Last Post: xcriteria
  Question: Why, in particular, do you hate school? xcriteria 27 18,858 07-31-2016 09:56 AM
Last Post: DreamRebel
  I HATE SCHOOL SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!! >:( fish20 6 13,564 07-17-2016 12:56 AM
Last Post: Lucas Gallindo
  Does my tech teacher hate me? Why does my Algebra teacher sometimes make negative com MusicAndFruits1092 3 3,147 04-23-2016 12:14 PM
Last Post: MusicAndFruits1092
  What to do if you hate school? SoulRiser 4 6,108 11-30-2015 04:15 AM
Last Post: no