RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power-tripping teachers/administrators
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)
Power-tripping teachers/administrators

When I was in 7th grade, I was taking tennis 1st period. For some reason we practiced in the cafeteria most days. We stood around doing ups and downs or catching rings with our non-dominant hands. Then one day I was in the hallway outside the cafeteria hitting a tennis ball against the wall over and over again, and the period was almost over, and the boys who were in the so-called "athletics" class were sitting in a line against a wall in a little hallway that went from the hallway I was in down to the boys' locker room. I heard my name called and I turned and it was a guy I knew from some other classes, Max, sitting just inside the other hallway. I walked over and he handed me some money and begged me to get him a grandma's cookies from the vending machine which was literally 6 feet away. I asked why he couldn't do it, and he said he would get in trouble if he left that hallway and went into the main hallway. So I got the cookies for him. Then a minute later, their coach came down and saw him eating the cookies and was like "OMGWTF DID YOU GET UP AND WALK 6 FEET TO THE MACHINE HOW DARE YOU" and Max told the coach that I gave them to him, and then the coach stormed over and asked me if I gave him the cookies, and I said yes, and the coach was like "RAR NEVER DO THAT AGAIN".

This is one example of the kind of bullshit that makes me just go "bawha? What the fuck, school?" What is the point of saying those guys have to sit inside that one little hallway and aren't allowed to move somewhere that's 6 feet away even if they go right back and sit back down, and why is it even a big deal if I give them some cookies? Like, the coach was probably mad because Max figured out a way to circumvent the rules, but why was that rule there in the first place?

Share more examples, if you please.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
10-22-2011 06:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)
RE: Power-tripping teachers/administrators

When students circumvent rules the teachers/admins get mad and make more rules.

My middle school was on a health clique. So they got rid of soda from the school. One students dad had a convenience store and that student would bring soda and sell it for 10 cents cheaper than normal. The school literally suspended him after a week of him selling the soda and confiscated his soda and money. They then had a big assembly and equated the situation to illegal drugs. Basically saying the school (government) banned soda (drugs) because it wasn't healthy and the boy (drug dealer) ignored the rules (law) and sold them anyway. The kids parents supported the school too.

Is it any wonder people are stupid fucking robots of the media/government?

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2011 06:47 AM by UnschoolShqiponjë.)
10-22-2011 06:47 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Oh wow, control freak much? People with power issues really shouldn't be teachers...

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
10-22-2011 08:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

(10-22-2011 06:47 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  When students circumvent rules the teachers/admins get mad and make more rules.

My middle school was on a health clique. So they got rid of soda from the school. One students dad had a convenience store and that student would bring soda and sell it for 10 cents cheaper than normal. The school literally suspended him after a week of him selling the soda and confiscated his soda and money. They then had a big assembly and equated the situation to illegal drugs. Basically saying the school (government) banned soda (drugs) because it wasn't healthy and the boy (drug dealer) ignored the rules (law) and sold them anyway. The kids parents supported the school too.

Is it any wonder people are stupid fucking robots of the media/government?

God that is just some fucking stupidity there.
Wonder kids readily put their parents in a nursing home somewhere later in life and then their kids do the same.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
10-22-2011 08:57 AM
Spiritus_Raptor Offline
Ever so slightly sadistic.

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

God, our school is on the whole banning nuts. My best friend is one who is allergic, and I asked him if it was okay if I ate nuts and stuff around the table, and he said yea, he only has reactions if he eats them.

So I bring a bag of assorted nuts one day, and the teacher takes a look at me, looks away, and does an instant double-take. He walks over with his RAGE-FACE on.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING MISTER?!"
"Uh, well, eating nuts, as you can see. Want some?"
"I HAPPEN TO KNOW YOUR FRIEND HERE IS ALLERGIC TO NUTS, HOW DOES HE FEEL?"
"Um, teacher, I don't care. I only have reactions if i eat them."
"-IRRESPONSIBLE, HE COULD HAVE SEVERE REACTIONS-"
At this point he tugs on the teachers arm, and looks at him,
"Dude, take a chill pill, I told you, let me say it again, (He's saying each word nice and loud now) I-DON'T-CARE"
(Teacher looks at me) "TO THE OFFICE, I'M CONFISCATING THOSE."
Realizing how thoroughly screwed I am right now, I decide to go out rebelling. So i reach in slowly to the bag, grab a handful, and slowly pop them into my mouth, and hand him the bag.
I now believe that the look he gave me was filled with more anger and frustration I have ever seen. This move was much more successful then I though, garnering more laughs then I thought it would. All in all, it was a good day.

Nemo me impune nocet.
10-22-2011 10:14 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Why did you even give him the bag? Although, the first time I refused to give over my property at school, I got kicked out. But then again, getting kicked out was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

10-22-2011 10:27 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

My school is like that almost everyday:

"Turn around, stop talking and do you work
Are you doing your work?
STOP TALKING and do you work!
That's it, write up."

"I'm not calling on you unless you raise your hand."

"You got your book open? Doing your work?
No, I don't want you doing other people's work.
You really want to take that tone with me?"

"You don't have the right colored socks on.
Write up"

"You not giving me your every attention
Write up"

"Everyone be quiet and pay attention to the speaker.
What did you say?
Write up and get out"

"Be quiet and do your work.
Why? Because I said so."

"Turn all the way around."

"Spit out the gum"

"Put your tie on right."

"You didn't ask me to take off your blazer."

"You're late again
Well get up earlier.
I don't want to hear it. Just get up earlier."

"Pay attention."

"You're hear to get an education."

"We'll be doing this tomorrow
What you don't like it?
I don't care."

Previously known as Derchin.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2011 10:38 AM by Miller0700.)
10-22-2011 10:37 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

(10-22-2011 10:37 AM)Derchin Wrote:  "Turn all the way around."

o_0

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

10-22-2011 10:50 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

(10-22-2011 10:50 AM)Prince Rilian Wrote:  

o_0

In the seat. Razz

10-22-2011 10:52 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

(10-22-2011 10:52 AM)Derchin Wrote:  

o_0

In the seat. Razz

I was picturing something much much worse.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

10-22-2011 10:55 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

(10-22-2011 10:55 AM)Prince Rilian Wrote:  
(10-22-2011 10:52 AM)Derchin Wrote:  

o_0

In the seat. Razz

I was picturing something much much worse.

I noticed...

10-22-2011 11:01 AM
LightAbyssion Offline
Revolutionary

Given 38 thank(s) in 21 post(s)

My old vice-principal got real mad at me because I sat crossing my arms while speaking to him. Of course, he ordered me to stop doing so... Then I pointed out how he was crossing his arms too. Hypocrite.

Point is, I hate when school staff tell you to stop chewing gum, take your cap off, look them in eyes, etc. As if any of that harms them in any way. They just want that daily dose of power from seeing some kid obey them for no reason. I do love the look on their faces when a student fights back though.

"Oppressed people might overthrow their tyrants, but not if they can count on one day joining the oppressors."
10-22-2011 11:40 AM
Spiritus_Raptor Offline
Ever so slightly sadistic.

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Derchin: Is your school one of those where you get written up, and if it happens 3 times you get detention?

Nemo me impune nocet.
10-22-2011 12:09 PM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

(10-22-2011 12:09 PM)Spiritus_Raptor Wrote:  Derchin: Is your school one of those where you get written up, and if it happens 3 times you get detention?

No, a write up IS a detention at my school. Hour and a half detention.

Read these:

Discipline at my school:
http://forums.school-survival.net/showthread.php?tid=97

My School Rules:
http://forums.school-survival.net/showth...hp?tid=100

(This post was last modified: 10-22-2011 01:26 PM by Miller0700.)
10-22-2011 01:25 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

At one of the schools I went to, if you were even 1 second late for class, you would get lunch detention and the way they did this was that the teacher would not let you into the classroom unless you had a tardy slip and you got a tardy slip by going to the office and signing up for lunch detention and then they gave you the tardy slip. The problem with this was that there would often be a line of approximately three hundred million people waiting to get tardy slips, which would make you even later for class, which is fucking stupid because then you're missing the oh-so-important learning time. And another rule they had was that if you were 15+ minutes late for class, you had to spend the rest of that class period in detention and just completely miss class that day, but you would not be counted absent. But if you didn't go to detention for the rest of the period, then you would be counted absent. I didn't want to sit in the detention room so I got counted absent a bunch of times and lost credit for a class due to "excessive absences", even though I had an A in the class.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

10-22-2011 02:43 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

(10-22-2011 10:14 AM)Spiritus_Raptor Wrote:  So I bring a bag of assorted nuts one day, and the teacher takes a look at me, looks away, and does an instant double-take. He walks over with his RAGE-FACE on.

That teacher is nuts. Razz

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
10-22-2011 11:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)

It's hard to be any other way if you're the teacher, though.

Quote:"Turn around, stop talking and do you work
Are you doing your work?
That's it, write up."

In a better world the teacher should be able to say 'If you don't want to be here then leave, and then it's between you and your parents.' But the world being what it is- what are you going to do if you're the teacher? If you just let all your lessons go to pot because the students are talking all the time you'll get fired and plus it's really really REALLY annoying not to be able to teach anything all day. It's a great example why 'education' shouldn't be compulsory. However, a lot students don't really want to be out of school. They just want to come to school and make it a place where nobody can learn anything.

Quote:"I'm not calling on you unless you raise your hand."

Yes, because the loudest most obnoxious students should be the only ones who ever gets to be heard. I don't need six hours of Jerry Springer where everyone has their mic turned on all the time five days a week. Maybe if I taught advanced classes it wouldn't be like that.

Quote:"Spit out the gum"

See how you feel at the end of the year when the school takes an inventory on your room and the computer disc drives have chewed gum crammed up in them and then you get fired.

Dress codes are lame though. And forcing anyone to be anywhere they don't want to be is wrong. That's the only real issue. Young people are put in a situation where the alternatives to school are very bad but they hate school and get bored and end up making the situation even more unbearable by never shutting their mouths ever.

Also, maybe I should point out that the posters here seem to me like they usually come from suburban schools so they may not easily relate to what I'm talking about, coming from an urban poor setting.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2011 03:06 AM by TheCancer.)
10-23-2011 03:04 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

(10-23-2011 03:04 AM)TheCancer Wrote:  It's hard to be any other way if you're the teacher, though.
Then don't be a teacher.

Quote:
Quote:"Turn around, stop talking and do you work
Are you doing your work?
That's it, write up."

In a better world the teacher should be able to say 'If you don't want to be here then leave, and then it's between you and your parents.' But the world being what it is- what are you going to do if you're the teacher? If you just let all your lessons go to pot because the students are talking all the time you'll get fired and plus it's really really REALLY annoying not to be able to teach anything all day. It's a great example why 'education' shouldn't be compulsory. However, a lot students don't really want to be out of school. They just want to come to school and make it a place where nobody can learn anything.
If they're talking while you're trying to do the stupid lesson, either just keep talking and ignore them or kick them out into the hallway. If they're talking when the lesson is over, it doesn't matter, just let them do it. If you get fired for that, you shouldn't be in that job.

Quote:
Quote:"I'm not calling on you unless you raise your hand."

Yes, because the loudest most obnoxious students should be the only ones who ever gets to be heard. I don't need six hours of Jerry Springer where everyone has their mic turned on all the time five days a week. Maybe if I taught advanced classes it wouldn't be like that.
And yet people manage to have conversations, even large groups manage to have discussions, without people raising their hands. Show the students some respect, and they'll show respect to each other, and then they won't talk over each other.

Quote:
Quote:"Spit out the gum"

See how you feel at the end of the year when the school takes an inventory on your room and the computer disc drives have chewed gum crammed up in them and then you get fired.
So you're going to pre-emptively punish someone for chewing gum just because *some* people put the gum on the computers? I was given the bullshit reason of "some kids put the gum under the desk" and I should have said, "I'm not going to do that." But is it that they don't believe me, or is it that they are obligated by their bosses or something to treat everyone the same shitty way?

Quote:Dress codes are lame though. And forcing anyone to be anywhere they don't want to be is wrong. That's the only real issue.
With the school rules as they are, no one would choose to go there, if they were truly given a choice.
Quote: Young people are put in a situation where the alternatives to school are very bad but they hate school and get bored and end up making the situation even more unbearable by never shutting their mouths ever.
The alternatives to school are bad? You mean they aren't given any alternatives. Not really. The "alternatives" are "alternatives schools" or "in-school suspension".

Quote:Also, maybe I should point out that the posters here seem to me like they usually come from suburban schools so they may not easily relate to what I'm talking about, coming from an urban poor setting.

So those kids have had even less respect shown to them.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

10-23-2011 03:28 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Quote:Then don't be a teacher.

I tried that.

Quote:If they're talking while you're trying to do the stupid lesson, either just keep talking and ignore them or kick them out into the hallway. If they're talking when the lesson is over, it doesn't matter, just let them do it. If you get fired for that, you shouldn't be in that job.

I'm with you but we WILL be fired for sending them out of class unspervised. I'm down with the new job plan though. You hiring?

Quote:So you're going to pre-emptively punish someone for chewing gum just because *some* people put the gum on the computers? I was given the bullshit reason of "some kids put the gum under the desk" and I should have said, "I'm not going to do that." But is it that they don't believe me, or is it that they are obligated by their bosses or something to treat everyone the same shitty way?

It's a kind of Catch-22. Try it and see.

Quote:The alternatives to school are bad? You mean they aren't given any alternatives. Not really. The "alternatives" are "alternatives schools" or "in-school suspension".

I agree completely.

Quote:And yet people manage to have conversations, even large groups manage to have discussions, without people raising their hands. Show the students some respect, and they'll show respect to each other, and then they won't talk over each other.

I'm going to tell you this and this is the honest truth. I never met another teacher more respectful of the students than myself and I've only met a few teachers who get more disrespected from their students than me. The teachers who are rude, yell, and write referrals, are treated better by the students and are even more well-liked than an old laissez faire hippy like myself. I think the kids I teach are so used to be bossed around that it scares the crap out of them to be around an adult who doesn't seem to want to boss them around. If you think you're going to get respect by showing respect, come and teach my lessons and try it.

Captain Beefheart
10-23-2011 03:54 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Welcome back, TheCancer. Sorry to hear you had to go back into teaching again. Sadhug

I understand totally about some kids just being fucked up and screwing with teachers and messing stuff up even if you're respectful towards them. I was in a class with a bunch of kids like that for something like 8 years. They were terrible, they made teachers storm out of the room crying. Even really nice ones that would never be mean ever no matter what. They also drove a couple of nice teachers to actually become mean towards the class too.

I don't know why they were that way, but it takes more than just one teacher being respectful for a few months or whatever to change that kind of class I would imagine. Would probably have to split up the herd mentality first or something. They were all doing that crap to entertain each other I think... so it makes sense that a mean teacher would be 'respected' more because they ruin the 'fun'. It's not real respect though... it's just that there's less entertaining things they can do that will actually turn out entertaining.

They are like trolls, basically. That's my theory anyway. Razz

Hidden stuff:
10-23-2011 06:43 AM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

I can't stop laughing at your teachers'! haha

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
10-23-2011 06:47 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Thanks for the kind words SR.

I also want to express my basic sympathy with the premise of this thread. Where I work now, as soon as the students walk in the door the staff start yelling at them. They don't even say good morning or anything, it's just 'Get to class!' 'Get up to the reading room right now!' I have never acted like that. Even students who cussed and yelled at me the day before I greet cordially and I usually say things like 'I know yesterday was bad but today's a new day so let's just try to chill and get through it.' And I tell them very honestly, 'I don't want you coming at me everyday. It's exhausting. I'm a person, too. I've never spoken to you like that ever.' But the real point of contention, like I keep saying, is the fact that it is compulsory. As long as my students are put there against their will, the situation really cannot be reconciled. But as long as I'm there, I have to make some effort to establish procedures or protocols for behavior which lead to calm and order because if I don't the less dominant among the students will constantly get harrassed in the chaos. With that in mind, I have to set parameters and that includes raising your hand and being called on before speaking or getting out of your seat. If I didn't do that, and I know because I've let it get away from me before, the environment becomes absolute torture for not only my more gentle students but for myself as well.

Captain Beefheart
10-23-2011 07:49 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Middle School Teachers v.s. Highschool Teachers Falsalm 6 5,723 01-01-2014 04:15 PM
Last Post: Falsalm
  Administrators are over-reacting Dirtbikemike 3 2,444 05-31-2013 12:28 PM
Last Post: brainiac3397