RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
I want to unschool, but my mom probably won't like the idea at all.
MG917 Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
I want to unschool, but my mom probably won't like the idea at all.

Long story short, I hate not having control over what I learn. I've been to 2 different schools, and also had a home tutor for a while when I was sick last year, and hated all of it. I'd love to be able to unschool, and learn about things I'm interested in, not the useless crap they feed me at school. The problem is, my mom's been telling me my only options are the school I go to now, and the same tutor I had last year. I haven't told her about unschooling yet, because she'd probably say that the internet has poisoned my brain or something.
tl;dr, I'd be much happier unschooling, but my mom wouldn't like the idea.
10-13-2011 02:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)
RE: I want to unschool, but my mom probably won't like the idea at all.

Sadly, you are not going to be able to unschool if she doesn't cooperate. Try to show her stuff written by Sandra Dodd or Jan Hunt. Scott Noel is also pretty informative. John Holt, John Taylor Gatto, and Dayna Leigh Martin. Alfie Kohn is also awesome but he never spoke about unschooling but his views on education strongly reflect the natural learning model.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
10-13-2011 03:33 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Why don't you just not do any of the school work? Physically go to school if that's the easiest thing for you, but just don't do any of the assignments. Just get books from the library and read them during class. Maybe if you do that for a year, your mom will give up. My grandma home-schooled two of my uncles because they kept getting expelled from different schools. It wasn't that they were bad kids, it was just that they were so unhappy in school.

I mostly liked school, but when I didn't want to do an assignment, I just didn't do it. And when I was in high school, I started just staying home sometimes. My mom was at work and my dad was asleep, so there was no one to even notice that I didn't go.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
10-13-2011 04:07 AM
 Thanks given by: Alistoriv
MG917 Offline
Rebel

My mom basically thinks that disliking school indicates some sort of mental problem, she's having me talk to a psychiatrist because of my unwillingness to go (I've been out "sick" all of last week and most of this week) and I can't just stop going because my mom drives me to school, I can't get books and read them in class because my school is too small to have it's own library, and I think my mom can see what books I check out from a public library (I keep a lot of secrets from my mom, including just about everything I do on the internet)
10-13-2011 05:03 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

(10-13-2011 05:03 AM)MG917 Wrote:  My mom basically thinks that disliking school indicates some sort of mental problem, she's having me talk to a psychiatrist because of my unwillingness to go (I've been out "sick" all of last week and most of this week) and I can't just stop going because my mom drives me to school, I can't get books and read them in class because my school is too small to have it's own library, and I think my mom can see what books I check out from a public library (I keep a lot of secrets from my mom, including just about everything I do on the internet)

OK, that's weird that your school doesn't have a library. But I don't understand why you can't check out books from the public library and just take them with you to school in your backpack. I'm not suggesting that you check out books your mom wouldn't like. Just educational stuff. How could she object to that?

I really think that, even though you can't get out of physically going to school and sitting in the building, you should refuse to do any of the assignments. It's a protest, see? You should give her stuff to read about unschooling first, so she'll know what you're protesting for.

If your mom is the type to beat you or starve you or send you to one of those teen prisons, don't bother. It's not worth getting injured or killed.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

10-13-2011 05:14 AM
MG917 Offline
Rebel

She's not that bad, but I can never tell what she'll object to. My school is tiny, no more than 90 students total and each class is about 3-8 students, so I'd probably get in a lot of trouble for not doing any assignments.
10-13-2011 05:18 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

I don't see how the size of the school affects it. But you just have to decide what kind of "trouble" is worth it to you. Detention? Suspension? Personally I love those.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

10-13-2011 05:20 AM
MG917 Offline
Rebel

I'm more worried about trouble from my mom, the teachers would probably tell her everything. Detention I can handle, suspension would be kinda fun as long my mom doesn't take away my computer. The internet is pretty much the only thing keeping me sane some days.
10-13-2011 05:23 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

When I was a kid, my mom would send me to my room, trying to punish me. It didn't bother me. I played with my toys. Then she said I couldn't play with my toys, so I read my books. Then she said I couldn't read my books, so I danced around the room making up my own stories. Then she said I had to sit on the bed, so I sat on the bed and made up a storie in my head and imagined all the characters moving and talking around me.

The point is, you need to find a way to not care about the punishments. But like I said before, if they are physical punishments, like beatings, it's not worth it.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

10-13-2011 05:36 AM
MG917 Offline
Rebel

heh heh heh, I'm starting to think this'll actually work.
10-13-2011 05:46 AM
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)

Do you live in America by any chance?

If so, what is it with Americans and psychiatrists? Any slight upset and it's TIME FOR ZE PSYCHIATRIST, like behaving like a natural human is a mental illness. When I was your age I wish a was more philosophically aware instead of just being angsty because I stuck it out until the end which I even regret now. Understand that you have the freedom to do whatever you want, there are no rules or rights or morals. Just act on your own accord, don't bother going or just wander off someplace else, there is no natural law where you are obliged to go to a dressed up prison everyday.

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
10-13-2011 05:57 AM
MG917 Offline
Rebel

(10-13-2011 05:57 AM)Elfy Wrote:  Do you live in America by any chance?
Yes, I do, actually. I have a few ideas as to how I can get away from my mom and not go to school, but most will end with me getting my computer taken away, so if you don't hear from me, you know what happened Razz
10-13-2011 10:50 AM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

In America... if a kid isn't fitting the mold their first reaction is to stuff them with meds. This is why I am going for psychology and not psychiatry because frankly I have no interest in prescribing meds.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
10-13-2011 02:37 PM
MG917 Offline
Rebel

(10-13-2011 02:37 PM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  In America... if a kid isn't fitting the mold their first reaction is to stuff them with meds.
Thankfully I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet.
10-14-2011 12:25 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

The good news is you can unschool yourself right now, despite school... the bad news is that school and your parents will make it difficult for you, and it really does help to have a kind of 'detox' period where you just do whatever and not worry or care about whether or not it's "educational"...

But yeah, that idea of reading books in class does sound fun and it might even get your point across.

Do you have a cellphone that can do internet? If you do, and your computer gets taken away, you can at least still come on the forums... I installed a mobile theme the other day. xD

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
10-14-2011 02:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MG917 Offline
Rebel

(10-14-2011 02:32 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Do you have a cellphone that can do internet? If you do, and your computer gets taken away, you can at least still come on the forums... I installed a mobile theme the other day. xD
My phone just barely does internet, it's over 2 years old and was obsolete before I got it. The web browser is terrible, and it takes like a minute and a half just to load a webpage, even though I have 3G. I might get a new one soon, but my mom doesn't want to get me it if I don't go to school. I have an ipod touch and an android tablet, but those might get taken away too.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2011 03:06 AM by MG917.)
10-14-2011 03:05 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Hmm, I guess that doesn't really help then.

Still, they can't keep you away from any and all kinds of computers forever...

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
10-14-2011 03:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MG917 Offline
Rebel

I might get a new phone soon, probably a Galaxy S II, and I'm pretty excited about that Razz
10-14-2011 03:57 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Ooh, those are nice. /me jealous Razz

Hidden stuff:
10-14-2011 07:13 AM
MG917 Offline
Rebel

Probably not gonna get it though, because of my unwillingness to be imprisoned every day for a week.
10-14-2011 10:18 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

(10-14-2011 10:18 AM)MG917 Wrote:  Probably not gonna get it though, because of my unwillingness to be imprisoned every day for a week.

You have to like school to get a phone?

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

10-14-2011 11:09 AM
MG917 Offline
Rebel

According to my mom, yes. By her logic, if I don't go to school, I don't go anywhere, and I don't need a phone
10-14-2011 11:57 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Fail logic. :/

Hidden stuff:
10-15-2011 06:04 AM
MG917 Offline
Rebel

She says the same thing about my macbook, that if I don't go to school, I don't need a computer. fail logic is fail
10-16-2011 01:12 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

I don't think she actually thinks that. She's just wording it that way to be a bitch. "If you're not gonna be a good little kid, then you don't need ice cream!"

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

10-16-2011 02:49 AM
MG917 Offline
Rebel

yeah. She also says that if I don't go to school, I'm "ruining my life" and that I'll spend all of my life working at mcdonalds.
10-17-2011 04:35 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

These people would disagree with her.

Hidden stuff:
10-17-2011 05:09 AM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

Your mother is just like the majority. No offense to you, but they're blind. I will unschool my children if I ever had any. I won't force any opinion or belief onto them, only teach them and let them decide on their own. I WISH I was unschooled, but I've been asking my parents nearly every week for the past 2 years and still it's a definate no.

But good luck on your journey OP!

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
10-17-2011 05:30 PM
Gifty_Chung Offline
Defiant

Hi MG917,
It is indeed very surprising to know that you mom does not sunscribe to your views . Please convey this message to her that a diploma from an accredited online high school is as good as a traditional one . If your mom is a typical one who wants to keep track of what you are doing while being a part of an online school then too not to worry.These days a few reputed online high schools provide access to parents too so that they have complete information about your progress and current status.
All the best
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2011 06:04 PM by Gifty_Chung.)
10-17-2011 06:03 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

(10-17-2011 06:03 PM)Gifty_Chung Wrote:  Hi MG917,
It is indeed very surprising to know that you mom does not sunscribe to your views . Please convey this message to her that a diploma from an accredited online high school is as good as a traditional one . If your mom is a typical one who wants to keep track of what you are doing while being a part of an online school then too not to worry.These days a few reputed online high schools provide access to parents too so that they have complete information about your progress and current status.
All the best

SS, Is this site legit? Also, I don't know if this online schooling is available in Australia. I'd rather do online schooling here, but I'm not sure if Universities accept it...maybe I should move to America and go to school?

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
10-17-2011 07:38 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  the most homeschool/unschool friendly states soli 12 6,564 03-22-2017 04:32 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  I want to unschool - how can I convince my parents? Kaylingrl_1 8 7,548 05-14-2009 01:10 PM
Last Post: NowhereWoman
  unschool madmansley 13 6,031 03-25-2009 01:14 PM
Last Post: madmansley
  I want to Unschool myself Tasty Waffles 6 3,784 04-25-2008 12:46 PM
Last Post: Tasty Waffles