RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bank Fees?
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)
Bank Fees?

Quote:Millions of Americans are about to get stabbed in the back by their banks. Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase, Wells Fargo, Citibank and several other large banks are either already implementing outrageous new bank fees or are currently testing them. So are these ridiculous new bank fees going to be enough to get millions of Americans to finally boycott the big banks? When millions of Americans start paying a $5 fee every month to use their debit cards and when millions of Americans start paying a $20 fee every single month just to have a checking account hopefully that will be enough to wake them up. These fees are certainly not going to cause an "economic collapse", but they are incredibly annoying. The truth is that the big banks are trying to take advantage of us. It shouldn't cost $60 a year just to use a debit card. It shouldn't cost $240 a year just to have a checking account. What we need to do is to send an unequivocal message to the big banks: we don't want your stinking bank fees and we are switching banks.

When I was growing up, I remember how banks would bend over backwards to get your business. The customer service was generally very good and banks were not gouging us with ridiculous fees.

But now thousands of smaller banks have been gobbled up by the banking giants and things have dramatically changed. The big banks don't value us anymore. They seem to believe that they have a "captive audience" and that they can treat us however they want to.

Well, it is time for us to draw a line in the sand.

We didn't mind so much that they were paying us next to nothing on our savings accounts.

We didn't say too much when ATM fees soared into the stratosphere. For example, the average cost of using an "out of network" ATM in America today is approximately $3.81.

We didn't even object too much when they started charging us fees for things such as getting paper statements, receiving wire transfers, or closing our accounts.

But now they have really crossed the line.

On October 1st, new federal regulations went into effect that capped what banks can charge merchants for debit card transactions.

The average fee on a debit card transaction used to be about 44 cents.

The new federal regulations cap the fee on merchants at 21 cents.

So will banks be unable to make money under these new regulations?

Well, according to U.S. Senator Dick Durbin, each debit card transaction costs the banks somewhere between 4 and 12 cents.

So a cap of 21 cents is not going to kill the banks.

However, it is going to hurt the profits that they have been making. The new rules are expected to reduce total bank revenue by a whopping $6.6 billion a year.

Ouch.

So what are the big banks doing about it?

Well, they have decided to recoup that revenue by sticking it to us.

For example, Bank of America recently announced that it is about to start charging a $5 per month debit card fee.

This has sparked a firestorm of criticism.

Even members of Congress are getting involved.

According to ABC News, U.S. Senator Dick Durbin stood on the floor of the U.S. Senate this week holding up a plastic debit card and launched into a tirade about Bank of America....

Quote:“Bank of America customers, vote with your feet, get the heck out of that bank,” Durbin said on the Senate floor. “Find yourself a bank or credit union that won’t gouge you for $5 a month and still will give you a debit card that you can use every single day. What Bank of America has done is an outrage.”

But that is not the only outrageous fee that you will be hit with at Bank of America.

If you want to get a basic checking account at Bank of America you will be slapped with a $12 monthly fee unless you maintain an average balance of at least $1,500.

Other large banks are instituting debit card fees as well.

Starting in November, SunTrust will be hitting account holders with a $5 per month debit card fee.

Last February, J.P. Morgan began testing a $3 per month debit card fee in Wisconsin.

Wells Fargo has also been testing a $3 per month debit card fee in certain markets.

But it is not just new debit card fees that are getting people upset.

For example, according to CNN large numbers of Citibank account holders will soon be paying a 15 or 20 dollar monthly fee if they do not maintain very high balances in their accounts....

Quote: Starting in December, customers who hold its mid-level Citibank Account will be charged $20 a month if they fail to maintain a minimum balance of $15,000 in their combined accounts. Previously, account holders had to carry a minimum balance of $6,000.

At the same time, customers who have the bank's EZ Checking account will start being charged $15 a month if they don't carry a minimum balance of $6,000.

They know that the vast majority of American families cannot afford to keep $6,000 sitting around.

It almost seems like the big banks are trying to eliminate as many small accounts as they can.

In the old days, virtually anyone could get a free checking account, but now all that has changed.

Sadly, the era of the free checking account seems to be ending. According to a recent survey by bankrate.com, only 45 percent of all checking accounts in the United States that don't pay interest are still free. Two years ago that figure was sitting at 76 percent.

All over the nation, monthly fees on checking accounts are absolutely soaring. In 2010, the average monthly fee on non-interest checking accounts was $2.49. Today, the average monthly fee on non-interest checking accounts is $4.37.

It is almost as if the banks don't even care about our money anymore. They don't want to give us free checking, they don't want to send us paper statements, they don't want us to use tellers and they don't even want to treat us with common decency.

The truth is that we are the ones that deserve some compensation for all of the lousy service that we have been receiving. For example, the Bank of America online banking system has been down for five days in a row.

The average American family is barely scraping by right now and cannot afford all of these outrageous fees. Right now, economic conditions are rapidly deteriorating and millions more Americans are falling into poverty every year. It is absolutely disgusting that these big banks are trying to drain hundreds of extra dollars a year out of each of us.

Well, perhaps we need to start voting with our feet. We need to tell the banksters that we don't want their stinking bank fees and that we are switching banks.

There are lots of credit unions and small community banks that would be more than happy to have us as customers. Yes, banking with them might not be quite as "convenient", but the big banks have pushed us way too far this time.

These new bank fees are beyond outrageous.

We cannot allow them to do this to us.

Quote:http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archi...hing-banks

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
10-05-2011 01:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

RE: Bank Fees?

You know things are funny when the pussy ass sellout congress and senate are bitching about the fees and I just closed my wells fargo bank account because of this too.

image hosting jpg
10-05-2011 01:19 PM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

Well my first bank (Synergy) introduced debit card fees and I switched to Bank of America... and I am going to close that account too and find a bank that doesn't charge debit card fees... should have closed the Bank of America account a while ago anyway. ONTO A NEW BANK!

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
10-05-2011 03:42 PM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

I was going to transfer all my money out of bank of america, then I realized that I already pay BoA $13/month for their credit monitoring service. All I have to do is cancel that at the start of the new year and I shouldn't have any problems dealing with the new $5 fee.
10-06-2011 01:03 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

Lol, I would never even consider using a bank with monthly fees. Ever. I have $0 in fees a year. Fuck yeah. Credit unions and online banks are the shit. They make enough money using your money to invest, they don't need to collect fees.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2011 05:35 AM by Absnt.)
10-06-2011 05:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

(10-06-2011 05:34 AM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  Lol, I would never even consider using a bank with monthly fees. Ever. I have $0 in fees a year. Fuck yeah. Credit unions and online banks are the shit. They make enough money using your money to invest, they don't need to collect fees.

So do these banks.
Greed Just motivates some to screw over others..
In before Weswammy and that greed is good shit.

image hosting jpg
10-06-2011 07:36 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

This disgusts me.

Previously known as Derchin.
10-06-2011 07:49 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

(10-06-2011 07:49 AM)Derchin Wrote:  This disgusts me.

Wow this is the littlest you ever written.[/i]

image hosting jpg
10-06-2011 08:07 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

I use a credit union. I don't support the devil.
10-06-2011 08:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

(10-06-2011 08:37 AM)Thought Criminal Wrote:  I use a credit union. I don't support the devil.

So do I.

Previously known as Derchin.
10-06-2011 09:44 AM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

Capitalism is funny.

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
10-06-2011 08:03 PM
cathyR Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

The nation's largest banks recently ditched controversial debit card charges, but financial institution experts and insiders warned that new charges would start being quietly added. In fact, new financial institution charges are already beginning to show up. Here's the proof: New bank fees already being quietly added.
11-18-2011 04:54 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

(11-18-2011 04:54 PM)cathyR Wrote:  The nation's largest banks recently ditched controversial debit card charges, but financial institution experts and insiders warned that new charges would start being quietly added. In fact, new financial institution charges are already beginning to show up. Here's the proof: New bank fees already being quietly added.

Welcome to SS and I'll be damned.
I was just telling someone the other day that they would try to do this quietly and here it is.
Thanks!

image hosting jpg
11-18-2011 06:43 PM
Desu Offline
Fanatic

Given 340 thank(s) in 182 post(s)

Just switched to my local credit union, from wells fargo.

feelsgoodman

RIP GORE GOROTH

He was an hero. He will always be remembered.
11-19-2011 01:04 AM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

HOS IRL

[Image: doomsayer.png]

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
11-19-2011 04:04 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  And So It Begins – The First Major European Bank Has Been Bailed Out HeartofShadows 8 3,092 10-11-2011 11:38 AM
Last Post: Absnt
  SWAT Teams in St. Louis Protecting Bank of America; Refusing Customer Withdrawals HeartofShadows 6 2,164 10-07-2011 03:01 AM
Last Post: Elfy