RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAT self education paragraph
flcao Offline
Renegade

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
SAT self education paragraph

In the past people learned fast-paced in many subjects we don't learn now, which is pointed out in biographies and this excerpt from a book by Montaigne.

"Consider the child, for example. Today we believe that babies are born with the ability to feel many emotions, but that their capacities for rational thought are not yet developed. In effect, we believe that the child's mind must "mature." Yet, as the historian Philippe Aries demonstrates, for much of Western history - roughly until the seventeenth century - childhood was not considered to be a state of mental immaturity, a state somehow different or separated from that of adult faculties, but simply without the experience to make full use of them. Thus Montaigne wrote in his essay on children's education that philosophical discourse should be introduced at a very early age - in fact, 'from the moment it is weaned, the child will, in any case, be able to understand philosophical discourses." These understandings of the child corresponded to patterns of conduct. Montaigne wrote of a friend's child who read Greek, Latin, and Hebrew when he was six years old, and translated Plato into French before he was eight. In the upper classes, reading and writing were common by the age of four; children were able to read the Bible and discuss complex matters of moral principle before they were five. Looking through the lens of contremporary beliefs about the "maturing mind," such abilities border on the incomprehensible."

SAT Q & A together

"The author most likely uses the examples in order to present a conrast with the currently held view of children's abilities."

"In the context of the last paragraph, the final sentence suggests that expectations of what children are intellectually capable of are much lower today."
09-01-2005 09:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RebeL ! Offline
Defiant

so.....they had super babies????:biggrin:

http://www.rattleheadhq.com/images/layout/title.gif
09-27-2005 12:16 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

nope they were perfectly normal. nowadays kids are just trained NOT to think, with stupid mindless 'educational' games like building blocks and that kinda stuff, instead of thinking about complex things. the potential is there, it's just repressed.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
09-28-2005 09:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RebeL ! Offline
Defiant

ahh! yes! i knew that Razz

i was merely testing you....u passed :biggrin:

09-29-2005 12:44 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

RebeL ! Wrote:ahh! yes! i knew that Razz

i was merely testing you....u passed :biggrin:

Laugh

good one :bigrazz:

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
09-30-2005 06:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RebeL ! Offline
Defiant

Well of Course It Was Good It Came From Me DUH!!!! jk lollers ;D
i REBEL Challenge SoulRiser To a Trivia Game! Do You Accept?!?!?! or Are You
Afraid to Face Me In A one on one Battle To The Death?Bigeek
Rules:
1.Has To Have A Specific Answer (Exp. 1+1=2)
2.Answer Can Be Found On Google , Yahoo Etc...
3.Contest Can Only Have 15 Questions

MUHAHAHAAHHAAHAH!!! IF I WIN CAN I GET MY OWN LITTTTTTTTLLE ARTICLE?! Written BY ME?<<<<Smilewinkgrin:biggrin:Smilewinkgrin:biggrin:

09-30-2005 02:58 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

RebeL ! Wrote:MUHAHAHAAHHAAHAH!!! IF I WIN CAN I GET MY OWN LITTTTTTTTLLE ARTICLE?! Written BY ME?<<<<Smilewinkgrin:biggrin:Smilewinkgrin:biggrin:

hmmmmmmmm... how would a trivia work on a forum? and we should do that in a different forum, not on this thread. maybe in the games forum Smile

you don't need to win a trivia to get your own article btw, all u need to do is write one that makes sense and doesn't need to be put through a spellchecker 99 million times before i can submit it :biggrin: not that i'm saying yours would need to be, just a general issue that i felt i needed to mention Wink

Hidden stuff:
10-01-2005 09:07 AM
demonsultanazathoth Offline
Defiant

Nice one.

I've found that people somehow think that Jack Johnson, born in Cambridge, England, 1785, was somehow intellectually superior to Jack Johnson, borning in Cambridge, Massachussetts, 1985.

My parents made the mistake of sending me to public school for five years; everyone there thought I was a prodigy because I read through their entire library in six weeks. Actually, when I was five, I'd found out that Victorian fifth grade was our college level and wanted to see if fifth grade was really that hard.

As someone who's exceeded 'college level', that idiotic, meaningless level at age 13, I can say that we need more people like you being published to see if anyone's opinion is changed.
04-06-2006 05:34 AM
WildFire Offline
Fanatic

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

YAH! we totally need that. Mwahaha Yes
09-10-2006 06:06 AM