RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What could anyone do if I failed my classes?
Will Offline
Fanatic

Given 29 thank(s) in 16 post(s)
What could anyone do if I failed my classes?

I just got this idea after reading this, which I found from a Google search. It's not directly discussed in that forum post, but some people posted some things that got me thinking. If I started to neglect my school work totally, except for classes where I could extremely easily get A's, and do useful things instead, what could anyone do about it?

In sixth grade, I got straight A's for the whole year. In seventh and eigth I got straight A's everywhere except classes with teachers who tried to do what they're supposed to do and not give everyone A's (physical education, art). In ninth grade I got almost straight A's except for B+'s in English and a B and a C in math. My final grades were (I think) all A's except for a Bsomething in English and a B in honors math. Also, I have never missed or been late for a day of school since sixth grade, when I missed two days. (I have had to miss some school for doctors appointments, but those aren't recorded on my report card.)

I've recently been reading books about stupid American education, so this year I've been doing worse, but most people at school still think I'm really "smart" and a good student. (Like everyone, I had realized before that school was stupid and that there was no real choice because everything was stupid and I had no real power.) My parents, of course, want me to get good grades and have started talking to me about grades, which they had never really done until last year. It doesn't feel like I have any power, but people physically can't really force people to do things like get good grades.

If I were to attend all of my classes and not be disruptive and instead do something like read in class, what could anyone do? Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

Except for health, (It's interesting, and I only have to take it for one semester.) orchestra and science research (I'm amazed that such a good class exists in a public school), I read "great books," books for learning Chinese or French or books for my science research project in class. I could also do something like learn calculus if having a book in my face is a too bothersome to teachers.

I've already started to do this to some extent, but I still pay attention to the teacher, and I only do this in the two classes where I can do this without the teacher caring.

When I get home from school, I play cello in addition to doing what I do at school. (I've already been studying these things out of school for a while.) I continue waking up early in the morning, which I have done for three years, but I study during this time rather than do school work.

If I did this, I would get A's in math, orchestra, physical education, health science research and maybe chemistry. I would get about a B in French if the teacher didn't take off points for class participation. (The B rather than an A is from really stupid culture tests.) I would get F's-C's in English and history, but what would anyone do about it? Wouldn't people feel bad by making me do schoolwork rather than letting me learn useful things and read interesting books?
02-07-2006 12:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

well, as long as you're still passing overall, and still being nice to everybody, and at least pretending to care, then you *should* be fine...

... unless your parents get REALLY worried that you're becoming "bad", and they send you to one of these places Uhoh

but judging by everything you've said, i think you'd be safe though Wink

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-07-2006 02:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Will Offline
Fanatic

SoulRiser Wrote:well, as long as you're still passing overall, and still being nice to everybody, and at least pretending to care, then you *should* be fine...

... unless your parents get REALLY worried that you're becoming "bad", and they send you to one of these places Uhoh

but judging by everything you've said, i think you'd be safe though Wink

My point is that I wouldn't care. History and English are the two classes that take most of my time because of the stupid assignments that the teachers give. There are few tests in English, but I have to spend a lot of time on the writing assignments. The tests in history do require a lot of studying, but the worst part is the required homework questions from the textbook. Also, the history class is not about learning but, rather, about proving that we did the homework.

For chemistry I actually have to spend some time on the labs, but it's not significant. For French I have to study a lot for the stupid culture tests if I want to do well, but I don't care about those because they're stupid and because I can get C's on those and still get an A- for the quarter. For math I have to study for a few minutes before tests.

As of the end of this school year, I will actually have all of the necessary credits to graduate except for English and history credits. English and history are required classes each year. If I could drop those classes, I would have more than enough free time during school to do all of my school work. (I currently have no free periods.) I can't do that, so failing them is the next best thing. Of course I could just not do the work, but that would be wasting about two hours every day.
02-07-2006 09:06 PM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

They could put you into a special education program. They're not fun, trust me.
02-08-2006 12:36 AM
Will Offline
Fanatic

Ayliana Wrote:They could put you into a special education program. They're not fun, trust me.
How high would my grades have to be to stay in a normal school program, and how low would they have to be for me to be dropped from the normal class to the remedial class? I am sure there are people in my classes who get C's in history and English.

I just realized something today. I always get 10/10's on "homework quizzes" if I just skim the chapter, and I get about 90/100's on tests if I study the day of the test with Wikipedia, so if I just stopped doing the stupid textbook homework questions I would probably not go below a C and maybe stay in the B range.
02-08-2006 09:19 PM
HappyJ Offline
Renegade

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Ayliana Wrote:They could put you into a special education program. They're not fun, trust me.

I a gre, im in some stupid "english enrichment" class that I cant stand. It doesn't give me credits, and we dont get a grade.. Whats the point? I just read throughout the whole class, the teacher doesn't care. SHe knows I don't belongi n the class.

Also: My Biology teacher TOLD me that I can pass on test grades aloen and not have to do any homework.. so whats the point?
03-09-2006 01:13 AM