RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GUIDE FINISHED: How to be a good teacher
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
GUIDE FINISHED: How to be a good teacher

As you may already know, I'm working on a guide for teachers on how they can earn the respect of their students and make their classes interesting. When it's done, i plan to post this guide on as many teacher sites as i can find. Which will either enlighten them, or really piss them off, depending on the kind of teacher they are Razz

anyways, i've recieved a lot of suggestions from people, and here's what i have put together so far:

=============

I run a website where a lot of kids hang out and talk about school and all sorts of things. Something that is a recurring theme there is how some teachers are about as creative as a stuck record when it comes to lesson planning. Many others have complained about their teachers having the manners of a rabid boar. Since this seems to be quite a problem for these young people, I have decided to ask them what they think makes a good teacher, and compile the results together in this guide, which will hopefully prevent teachers who read it from becoming another heated discussion on my site.

This guide is basically divided into two sections - how to earn the respect of your students, and how to make your classes interesting.

HOW TO EARN THE RESPECT OF YOUR STUDENTS

There seems to be a common misconception among teachers that being respected by your students means that they "shut up and do everything you command". You could probably do it this way if you want, but I assure you, your students will despise your class.

The basic first step to earn their respect is to simply be nice to them. Now, this doesn't mean you should let them walk all over you, but it does mean you shouldn't walk all over them either. You will need to attain some sort of balance. First of all, if you are having a bad day (as we all do from time to time), the best would be to tell your class, so that they can be careful to not aggravate you. That of course doesn't mean someone won't annoy you, but if this happens then at least an angry outburst from you won't be completely unexpected, and since you announced it to begin with, the others should be more likely to accept your apology if you took it out on someone undeserving. Also accept that some of your students may be having a bad day as well, and treat them the way you would want to be treated in such a situation.

Encourage your students to call you by your first name instead of Mr/Mrs etc. This creates a more friendly atmosphere and helps to do away with the idea that you're an authority figure over them, and will encourage them to be more open and friendly with you.

Try to get to know your students individually. Get to know what they like/dislike, their ideas and needs. This can be a lot of work, especially if you teach at a large school, but if you can grade all that homework and keep track of who the good/bad kids are, you should be able to remember a few personal traits as well.

Be honest with your students. Especially when they ask things like "When will I ever use this in real life?". One thing a lot of kids hate is when teachers tell them that it's important to know things like the formula for a parabola. Most people will never use that knowledge again.

Grade things on time. Just as you would expect your students to hand projects in on time, you should set the example by being timely yourself. If you don't grade things on time, then be sure to give your students the same leeway as well.

Don't censor yourself too much. Most students actually like a teacher that swears a little every now and then. On the other hand, don't attempt slang unless you're totally comfortable with it.

Stand up for your students. If you see them being pushed around or bullied by other students or teachers, try to end the conflict, or at least tell the attacker to calm down.

Also, for male teachers: girls occasionally have something called a "period". It means they have to use the restroom more frequently, and females greatly appreciate the allowance of restroom use to "fix themselves up".

Once you've earned the respect of your students, be sure to keep it! Make jokes, fool around a bit when the time is right - try to keep it casual.

HOW TO MAKE YOUR CLASSES INTERESTING

Whenever possible, give your students choices as to what they would like to do and how they want to do it. For example, after covering a section of work, ask them if they'd rather write a test, have a discussion or do a worksheet on it. You could even divide the class according to what they'd rather do, and let them do that. This also counts for projects and papers. Try to avoid giving the whole class the same topic, unless you have to. Even then try to give them as much leeway as possible.

Try to come up with other ways of presenting things instead of sticking to lesson plans or text books. If you just stand in the front and lecture the whole time, the chances of anyone paying attention are slim.

Also, don't be too eager to offer help to a student, but do make it clear that if they want help they should ask. Some kids like to figure things out for themselves, while others prefer to be told how to do it.

Don't place too much emphasis on keeping your class quiet. Some students will want to help each other or work together, this is a good thing. In fact, don't be the only one talking. Encourage discussion. Let your students interrupt you from time to time to discuss a point. Don't worry if you end up straying off the point a little, just to keep track of where you were and don't let it go too far. Allow students to move around and sit next to a friend, as long as they do all their work and don't cause major disruptions.

Don't worry about drinks or food in class as long as the class stays clean. If someone makes a mess, they should clean it up themselves right then and there.

Some people work faster and better if there is music. Since not everyone has the same taste in music, allow your students to listen to whatever they like with headphones on, as long as it's not too loud.

Let students start their homework in your class. This way it becomes more like classwork, and whatever isn't finished by the end of class becomes homework. This way whoever works quickly in class doesn't get homework. The other benefit of this is that you are still there to help them, should they need something explained. I have heard so many complaints by kids who sat up all night trying to finish some math homework that they didn't understand how to do in the first place. Also, be lenient - ask your students if they've already received homework for other classes, and how much of it. If they already have a lot, don't give more. The best option would be to just never give any homework, unless the subject in question is something like math where practice is needed.

With regard to assignments, try to work out due dates with other teachers so that students don't get overworked with assignments on different subjects all at the same time.

========

EDIT (28 June): Added finalized version. *TRIED* to add the quotes too, but apparently the forum can't handle a post that long Razz haha. will add that in reply.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
04-01-2004 03:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
flcao Offline
Renegade

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

sudbury or free schools, northstar teens?
04-30-2004 12:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)
More!

well, I'm only in Junior High but STAND UP FOR YOUR STUDENTS! When you see them being pushed around of being mistreated by other students or teachers, don't watch and mucnch popcorn. At least tell the attacker to chill.

Oh, and that reminds me. Teachers that try to be respected by being "hip": never say hip, never mind attempt to be hip. It's not hip to be hip. Don't attempt slang at all unless you feel 100% comfortable with it. Always... this also applies to students, and is a basic social rule.

Also, for male teachers: girls occasionally have something called a "period." It means they have to use the restfrrom more frequently, and females greatly appreciate the allowance of restroom use to *fix themselves up* or reapply concealer for any breakouts! Geez!

Yeah, this is a swell idea and my history teacher really needs to read something like this.

From Holly
05-22-2004 01:23 PM
Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

thanks Holly!

i was beginning to think nobody would ever send me any more tips and i'd have to use it as is No

Smile

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
05-23-2004 10:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

I agree...they should stand up for their students...but not in a way that may harm someones rep. I also think teachers should try to be more fair...they tend to favor and grant certain privilages to their favs.

Some more stuff:

I think when teachers have a friendly atmosphere in their classromm it is much better, such as:

Letting students sit by their friends as long as they don't cause major disruptions and do all their work etc.

Being allowed to eat and drink in the class as long as the room stays clean. I have found that since my math teacher let us do this I am more relaxed in her class and can do my work better.

Allowing students to listen to headphones during tests, quizs or work time as long as its not too loud. Some people can do their work better if they are able to listen to their music.

Cool seating charts. Asides from sitting by your friends, interesting seating placement can work very well.

BE LAX!!!! Don't freak out if a student says one curse word!!!! Be friendly towards your students, they will learn better if you act more like a educational mentor then a pissy teacher.
05-25-2004 02:32 PM
Unregistered

Since i hate many teachers so much and wish for them to improve, i have decided to reply to this topic.
This reply is based on some of the great teachers that i have, and, unfortunately, some bad teachers that i have.
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
I notice that teachers who arent afraid to swear a little from time to time are much more respected then those tight-assed teacher fags who, at the word 'hell', or 'damn' or 'crap', get inspasticated (angry) and scream, yell and shout a lot. Yes
teachers that just stand there next to the board and write crap on the subject for the rest of the lesson tend to be rated as extremely unpopular.
A great 'strategy' one teacher of mine uses, is extremely smart and fair. We always do some work every geography lesson. However, if we don't finish it on time, that work simply becomes our homework. So the people who worked well in class and finished their work (its never me ;D) don't get any homework No. This is a simple yet effective method where none of the students complain (not even me).
I have also noticed that respected teachers are 'balanced', like soulriser said in the guide, so if you want to be a respected teacher, you have to be tough, yet nice.
e.g. If a situation is getting out of hand, students tend to understand more if you shout at them a bit, when (if) they look afraid, make a joke about the matter that is appropriate, the student should automatically like you.
If you follow all the rules on 'How to be a good teacher' correctly, you will be loved by all of your students. You will also notice better results in their behaviours. Why? Because it will hurt them to let you down because of their respect for you. They will become more attached to you and the same will go for you. Every teacher's dream should be to get to know their students individually and be part of their future, to take part in their future, to be their friend, not worst enemy, to be a roll-model to them not someone on who they look upon and think "Jeez, im never going to be like her/him" or "Now I know why teachers get payed so little" and "Man, I know exactly why I don't want to become a teacher".
To make sure that they don't turn out that way, you need to,
- participate,
- be open minded
- and last - but not least and most important: - like them.
If you are successful, they will do the same for you. :razz:Yes:biggrin:
Thx.
P.S Great site, SoulRiser!
06-02-2004 03:17 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

thanks... some really good tips there. i'll definitely include them.

man i gotta update this topic sometime with the new stuff Razz

will do...

Hidden stuff:
06-03-2004 05:00 AM
bringdownthesystem Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
more on making your class interesting

Well i wanted to add somthing on making your class more interesting<

see I had a teacher last year who was so dull, she would ramble on and on and most of my friends and me went to sleep. Thrn one day we had a substitute and he made class soo fun! we wanted him to come back more often, nobody fell asleep in his lesson. the reason for this was that he added a little humor to his class, and again added a little tiny swearing every now and then that made people laugh, like he would say: "today our lessons title is... some crap! lets move on, who wants to read..." and it was really funny. then when people started too fall asleep later he would stand up randomly, pick up A book, walk to the nearest table, and drop it on the desk. it made everyone jump up, and start laughing. So just remember to liven things up a bit, in your own creative ways.

-Grant

"For those who believe, no explanation is nexessary. For those who do not, none will suffice."
[Image: cheekstab.gif]
06-11-2004 07:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

haha. thanks for posting Smile will add.

Hidden stuff:
06-11-2004 08:31 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

the quotes

QUOTES

Here are the exact words of the young people who contributed most of the ideas contained in this guide:

----------------

Suggestion from: G
Teachers who personally ask students what they would like to do always get my respect. Also teachers who treat their students as peers, although it is usually not expected to do so.

----------------

Suggestion from: Thomas Howard
Be nice, teachers have no idea how much of a difference it makes. I return niceness and politeness with the same. If they are rude or commanding, I return worse. Also, they think they have so much power, like they can command us to do anything. Not true, if teachers try to order me from the hallway I will just curse them out, and keep walking, if they lay one hand in me, they are in huge trouble. Of course this mostly applys to non classroom settings.

----------------

Suggestion from: Caroline
comments: teachers need to be more understanding that us students go to (well i go to 6 a day)5-7 classes a day and if one teacher gives a ton of work, whose to say tthe other 5 won't?? Teachers need to spread out they're assignments and stuff and be more considerate when students approach them and say they have too much to do. and i don't know if you've ever taken an AP, but many AP teachers say that they can give a ton of work out because they're class in an AP, which is fine but my AP teacher gave my class a unit test the same day a 10 page research paper was due!!! (and not to mention i had 5 other classes of work to do too and by this point i do the bare bare minium..)

----------------

Suggestion from: Emily Keller
I think that they should not take out their problems and anger on there students if they are having a "bad day". Alot of times when I go to school and a teacher is having a lousy day, they take it out on the students; causing us more pressure in school. Thanks!! Good Luck Wink

----------------

Suggestion from: Amaka
I think that teachers should make an attempt to make it clear that they won't tolerate annoying disruptive behavior without being...well, bitchy about it. They should engage the class in fun projects that stick to the subject and remember about the project themselves. They should grade on time--personally, i think it's injust that im expected to turn papers in right on time, but can't expect it to be returned to me in a timely matter as well. Plus, the teacher should offer a lot of help, i have an algebra teacher who's about as helpful as poop, especially when i'm confused. And finally, teachers should never be hypocritical. Thanks for listening!

----------------

Suggestion from: Jimmy
Think of your own creative way to teach, dont always go by lesson plans and/or text books...I'm 14 and this is my opinion.. No paper and pencil tests, for example on a book, make up some sort of activity to show comprehension of the book.

----------------

Suggestion from: LAURA
i believe that if teachers want our respect their going to have to respect us first, and the most important thing is to make the class a place were a student would want to actually go,instead of having students skip your class b/c your not fair to them or its just BORING!...make learning enjoyable instead of standing there and talking for a hour str8 while the rest of the class is sleeping and writing notes to each other...if that is the case in the class i believe no one is actually learning...and no one will like you and everyone will pick on you and its important to communicate w. the students.

----------------

Suggestion from: Anrchy4us
Teachers, rather than having the students repeat in some mindless manner everything they say, should encourage a higher level of learning. They should encourage students to search for their own answers and use critical thinking to answer their questions. Also, don't make school so automatonic. Students will learn much better in a more laid back enviroment in which they are free to discuss and encouraged to question. I have this problem in math. I understand all of these complex equations etc. and how to put numbers into them, but I want to know what they are used for. I want to really understand what I'm doing and/or working with. Also, I think that teachers, especially those "old school" ones, need to get a personality. I feel like I'm talking to a wall sometimes, just the wall responds once in a while. So basically, make the class more envigourating, something we won't fall asleep while trying to digest. Thanks.

----------------

Suggestion from: JadedNaga
Abolish homework. (OMG, this would be a major plus.) What is part of school should be done at school. Period. Six-seven hours of school (especially without pay) is enough! Leave the personal lifestyles alone! We would be refreshed, mentally and phsyically healthier, happier, and more productive (school-wise and in other areas), more likely to pursue other goals, and just have more variety in our lifestyles in general. You've ruined us!

----------------

Suggestion from: Jessica
textfield = Get rid of the Ms./Mrs./Mr.. They tell us that respect isn't something that should be handed out like candy, yet they expect us to respect them without even knowing them? Not only that, but it's condescending.

----------------

Suggestion from: OptikalIlluzion

1) Stop treating us like we are slaves to your authority. Asserting authority, demanding respect, and forcing students into things they are unwilling to do is no way to earn respect from a student.

2) Respect our ideas and individuality. If you really want to know us, gain respect, and be approved of, you need to stop treating the classroom as a group. Learn each student's ideas and needs. I know that can be alot of work, as many teachers usually go through about 125 students by the end of the day. But if you can grade all that homework, know who the good kids/bad kids are, and be able to teach, you should be able to remember a few personal traits.

3) Stop acting like everything you teach will be "important" and that we "need to know it". We are on to you! Unless we are scientists, mathmeticians, or create complex formulas, we'll never really need to know what the "slope of y" equals. We won't need to know the parts and functions of cells. We'll only be using he knowledge needed for our professions, and the occasional trivia game.

----------------

Suggestion from: Steve Otero
textfield = Find a balance between being in control and allowing for some humor. Dont let us walk over you, but dont walk over us. (we'll resent it!) After you've established respect, KEEP IT! JOke, laugh, and fool around in class when the time is right. (you'll be the only teacher who actually teaches the students in their classroom!)

----------------

Suggestion from: Nicholas Lemay
I think that for teachers to earn a kids respect, they need to treat the kid like their not better than them and they need to give the kid some space enless the kid wants help.

----------------

Suggestion from: Jordan
Give there students choices, such as:
A.Doing mathhomework but no test
B.Studying in class and a followup of a test
C.Oral Testing

----------------

Suggestion from: Bob Saggit
They have to no what level the kids are coming from and relate to them in the way they would relate to others.

----------------

Suggestion from: Josh Vest
The teachers should follow our freedom of speech rights and stop saying "stop talking when im talking", to raise your hand and "this is my classroom dont disrespect me".

well, I'm only in Junior High but STAND UP FOR YOUR STUDENTS! When you see them being pushed around of being mistreated by other students or teachers, don't watch and mucnch popcorn. At least tell the attacker to chill.

Oh, and that reminds me. Teachers that try to be respected by being "hip": never say hip, never mind attempt to be hip. It's not hip to be hip. Don't attempt slang at all unless you feel 100% comfortable with it. Always... this also applies to students, and is a basic social rule.

Also, for male teachers: girls occasionally have something called a "period." It means they have to use the restfrrom more frequently, and females greatly appreciate the allowance of restroom use to *fix themselves up* or reapply concealer for any breakouts! Geez!

Yeah, this is a swell idea and my history teacher really needs to read something like this.

----------------

Suggestion from: Liquid_Dreams

I agree...they should stand up for their students...but not in a way that may harm someones rep. I also think teachers should try to be more fair...they tend to favor and grant certain privilages to their favs.

Some more stuff:

I think when teachers have a friendly atmosphere in their classromm it is much better, such as:

Letting students sit by their friends as long as they don't cause major disruptions and do all their work etc.

Being allowed to eat and drink in the class as long as the room stays clean. I have found that since my math teacher let us do this I am more relaxed in her class and can do my work better.

Allowing students to listen to headphones during tests, quizs or work time as long as its not too loud. Some people can do their work better if they are able to listen to their music.

Cool seating charts. Asides from sitting by your friends, interesting seating placement can work very well.

BE LAX!!!! Don't freak out if a student says one curse word!!!! Be friendly towards your students, they will learn better if you act more like a educational mentor then a pissy teacher.

----------------

Suggestion from: skewl MAJORLY sux

I notice that teachers who arent afraid to swear a little from time to time are much more respected then those tight-assed teachers who, at the word 'hell', or 'damn' or 'crap', get inspasticated (angry) and scream, yell and shout a lot.
teachers that just stand there next to the board and write crap on the subject for the rest of the lesson tend to be rated as extremely unpopular.

A great 'strategy' one teacher of mine uses, is extremely smart and fair. We always do some work every geography lesson. However, if we don't finish it on time, that work simply becomes our homework. So the people who worked well in class and finished their work (its never me ) don't get any homework . This is a simple yet effective method where none of the students complain (not even me).

I have also noticed that respected teachers are 'balanced', so if you want to be a respected teacher, you have to be tough, yet nice.

e.g. If a situation is getting out of hand, students tend to understand more if you shout at them a bit, when (if) they look afraid, make a joke about the matter that is appropriate, the student should automatically like you.

If you follow all the rules on 'How to be a good teacher' correctly, you will be loved by all of your students. You will also notice better results in their behaviours. Why? Because it will hurt them to let you down because of their respect for you. They will become more attached to you and the same will go for you. Every teacher's dream should be to get to know their students individually and be part of their future, to take part in their future, to be their friend, not worst enemy, to be a role-model to them not someone on who they look upon and think "Jeez, im never going to be like her/him" or "Now I know why teachers get payed so little" and "Man, I know exactly why I don't want to become a teacher".

To make sure that they don't turn out that way, you need to,
- participate,
- be open minded
- and last - but not least and most important: - like them.
If you are successful, they will do the same for you.

----------------

Suggestion from: Josef Eder
"The best political weapon is the weapon of terror. Cruelty commands respect. Men may hate us. But, we don't ask for their love; only for their fear." - Heinrich Himmler

============

THANK YOU ALL Smile you have helped make the world a better place.

or something like that. :biggrin:

Hidden stuff:
06-28-2004 11:50 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

some teacher responses

these are all from one of the 3 forums i posted the guide on so far. the other 2 havent responded yet Razz

a line divides the individual comments.

===============

Bless their little hearts. Golly, now that I think about it, I do need to be more like a chum...maybe I could call a few of my students tonight and say, "Wanna go get a Coke?" Then we could maybe have a slumber party and do each other's nails, and talk about how skewl sux.

========

Hmmm

Be a chum. Nah. I don't think so.

Allow them to call you by your first name. Nah. I don't think so.

This is what I said to myself the first time this was posted here.

=======

There are many good ideas here. I certainly would not use them all, but that would not be "my style". I do believe we can become better teachers by listening to our students. Many time the same things are presented over, that 's OK too. Lighten up guys.

=======

i know this may annoy many or bring on the flames, but i wanted to respond...

i don't see the harm in hearing what the "kids" have to say (i have to admit that i am dubious of the source here, but i'll take it at face value for now). no, the kids don't get to "tell us how to teach," but i do look at the classroom as a unique partnership between teacher, student, and family. i feel strongly that if we really look at the classroom as "our" classroom, they have a need to be heard. does that mean be a pushover??? no way!! but...respecting them isn't the same thing. i read this list and saw lots of good advice. of course, i refuse to allow occasional swearing in an effort to show kids that i am "cool", but i chalk those comments up to adolescence. but...i believe that students need to take an active role in the classroom environment.

=======

I do occasionally ask the teens on the board I'm on about situations at school-and often their advice is quite good.

I don't know that all of their ideas are viable, but it is interesting reading and food for thought.

======

I agree with Donna, however, there are some things on there that are just not doable, or right. For example, I can tell you that if you treat your students as peers, as true peers, they will NOT respect you. I see it every day in a classroom near me. Yes, stand up for your students and let them know you care. But they like it when you keep control and are the adult. About the headphones, well, most schools have rules against that. I do not think teachers should swear in class (it may slip out by accident, but hopefully not). I do not think students should call teachers by their first names. School is not a casual setting.

Yes, we should listen to students up to a point. We are the adults and we do know what will and will not work (mostly).

=============================

When I read the title I was a little put off so instead of looking for things to irritate me, I deliberately read it to notice the things I agreed with.

In fact a friend and I read and commented on it together and then compared it to what we do. We both thought we would pass your student's test. LOL

My situation was a little different because I teach elementary. I do take impromptu suggestions from students though. They've had good ideas.

I agree about getting to know your students traits and things about them.

About "when will I use this" . I tell mine that a lot of the things we do are to GROW our brain. I tell them that we are building little connections. The more connections the smarter you'll be. The harder you think, the better the connections.

I agree with the grading things on time and standing up for your students. I agree with the bathroom thing.

I don't agree with the censor thing. I'd get fired. ONly coaches can curse.

I agree with using a variety of methods in your class. I also think that kids need to do listening to lectures some. This is the college way.

I agree with letting them know that you are THERE to help them but don't jump in too soon. The brain needs to be allowed to work.

The kids need to learn (and the teacher too) that people approach things from different POVs (points of view).

I agree with the headphone thing because it does work although I do monitor the music.

I agree that some teachers think their subject is the ONLY important one and they are not flexible.

You can tell from the writings that the kids don't have a clue about the purpose of school. Some of their ideas were good and some were a little smart alecky if you ask me.

Little Laura's suggestions are irritating

This quote quacked me up: "I think that teachers, especially those "old school" ones, need to get a personality. I feel like I'm talking to a wall sometimes, just the wall responds once in a while." LOL, I've wanted some people to get a personality!!!!!!!!!! But he needs to read the Myers Briggs book

Pooey on Jaded Naga. How dare they make her go to school without pay!!!!!!!!!

Those were my thoughts and because I set it up to be fair, I think I got a lot out of this. But the tone of the handbook you want to be helpful is just a little "bossy moo cow". (TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE.)

==================

I do not agree with being peers with the kids, swearing, or calling teachers by first name. Other than that I found much of it to be right on. It is our job to get through to kids and to inspire. How will we know how to do that if we are adamant in not listening to them?

===========

I prefer students to be active in classwork activities during class time. Homework is to be done outside of class - it should be something that does not require the teacher hovering over students' heads.

=============

A great teacher or a well LIKED teacher. - Not always synonomous. But there were some good common sense points here in regards to common courtesy and good teaching practices.

===========

>>> Encourage your students to call you by your first name

I don't thinks so. I AM an authority figure over them. SOMEone needs to be in charge - which does NOT have to translate into being a Hitler.

>>> Grade things on time.

What is on time? Having 100 papers/projects to grade is not exactly equal to doing five assignments. I agree that it should be returned within a reasonable length of time - especially when it something that is helpful for them to have before an assessment.

>>> Don't censor yourself too much.

I should swear to make me more likable to my students? I DON'T think so. We ARE supposed to be role models and I do not think swearing/cursing is EVER acceptable - it is rude. Very little common sense here.

A sense of humor is definitely important - especially with middle and high school students.

>> Some people work faster and better if there is music. Since >> not everyone has the same taste in music, allow your >> students to listen to whatever they like with headphones on, >> as long as it's not too loud.

Many schools do not permit this. But putting that aside, I have permitted this as a reward occasionally. We follow the suggestions listed at this site: http://homeworktips.about.com/library/blmusic.htm Seemed to work well and my students did not abuse this. I personally though do not find that they are more productive - in fact they seem to get less done.

>>>Try to come up with other ways of presenting things instead >> of sticking to lesson plans or text books. If you just stand >> in the front and lecture the whole time, the chances of >> anyone paying attention are slim.

You obviously have no idea what the lesson plan is (or maybe I don't). It may very well include various kinds of activities, not just lecture. Besides, kids LOVE textbooks. They cite long paragraphs learned by heart when they are asked to say it in their own words.

Homework: Practice and reinforcement is needed in most areas. However, I would agree that giving homework just to be giving homework is counterproductive. When I give homework, there is generally enough time to complete it in class for most students. Recognizing that not all students work at the same pace, obviously they need to finish it at home if not completed in class.

>>>With regard to assignments, try to work out due dates with >> other teachers so that students don't get overworked with >> assignments on different subjects all at the same time.

Good common sense. We keep a calendar in the hallway where teachers post test dates and dates projects are due. This is workable only if all teachers do this. However, I have told the students to let me know if I give them a due date that another teacher has already assigned something major. Of course if I give the date first, then it is their responsibility to talk to THAT teacher about it.

The bottom line is that my job is to teach and to use the best teaching practices possible. I believe teachers need to be friendly, not to be their friend. Students, at least middle school students, do not always know how to draw a line between the teacher being a friend and the teacher being in charge. I have seen this happen way too often with new teachers, and then they wonder why they have no classroom control. I have not noticed that students are afraid to approach friendly teachers.

===========

I don't think the students I teach posted here! LOL

1. students are understanding of teachers 'having a bad day", if we let them know. If I let them know, they seem determined to make it worse. They love to push buttons just to see what will happen. I would say 95% of all the times a parent has called with a complaint, it was related to one of those bad days. Seems if you make one mistake, students portray that mistake as your daily demeanor to their parents.

2. Back off with help, let them do it first, but know you are there to help if they want it? Seems in my class, if I explain something then ask them to try out the concept with some situations, one third to one half start freaking out - but but but I don't know how - you didn't explain it. (they must have been in the bathroom?)

3. there were some very valid points - about letting students work in a manner that they know they learn best in, about evaluating student efforts promptly, about respect being a two way street.

I survey my students each year about what worked well and what didn't. I try to develop lessons for the next year with student input.

===========

these suggestions on how to be a popular teacher would have some validity. However, letting students wear headphones becuase some people work better with music--frankly, when I go to the city to pull a permit, I DON"T CARE if the workers are content! And I have probably had more periods than any high school girl and guess what? I managed to take care of it during my break....I wasn't able to slip out of class to fix myself up or take care of a zit. As for titles of Mr. and Mrs...this group of kids needs to get real and join the workforce! Also, even I in all my great wisdom can't predict even yet what it is that I will never know--and despite having a great math aversion, I still like to run the numbers my own self, just so that I know what is going on. (I have a koi pond and had to figure how much of some really expensive chemicals I had to add to the volumn of water; also had to figure out the volumn plus lift to figure out how to run all the water thru the filter once an hour...not impossible, but formulmatic). How I wish I had the gall these teen have! Now that I COULD use in my daily life LOL

=============

Hidden stuff:
07-01-2004 10:32 AM
Unregistered

great work!! one thing, when you post the guide on the sites, could you please change the "skewl MAJORLY sux" name to "Roman", for obvious reasons ;D

-roman
09-02-2004 10:04 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

lol

too late Smile but i'll change it for future postings Cool

Hidden stuff:
09-03-2004 06:57 AM
Unregistered

Music

Our school strictly forbids even seeing cd players etc. Is their some type of clothing that makes it easy to conceal headphones near the ears?Confused
09-13-2004 04:26 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

MrNobodyWTB Wrote:Our school strictly forbids even seeing cd players etc. Is their some type of clothing that makes it easy to conceal headphones near the ears?Confused

hoodies? unless they're banned that is... :roll:

Hidden stuff:
09-14-2004 09:44 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Finally finished that CoD4 map I made a topic about in June యూజర్ పేరు 5 1,920 07-30-2010 07:34 PM
Last Post: aaaaaaasd