RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just want to know other's opinions on these..
Emie Offline
Rebel

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)
Just want to know other's opinions on these..

So has anyone seen those sad advertisements that come on tv and talk about 3rd world countries? They show these starving children and try to guilt you in to sending them money? Well they play those a lot when I watch tv.. and they seem like good causes. With only a little bit of money, you can really help out a kid's life. Give them food, clothes, shelter.. but also a school :/ that is why I can't bring myself to support them.. is this being too harsh? Is school better when the other option is living on the streets unhealthy? Personally, I don't know what I'd rather like. I hate school so much, at times anything seems more pleasant. But I don't know if others feel so strongly.. and maybe in those countries, if the kids don't go to school they are dooming the future generations to a life of poverty as well Sad its just really sad.. so what do you guys think of those ads? Is it good to support organizations that will help a kid, but also send them to school.. or is the issue of school (many years of boredom and misery in most circumstances) big enough to not support them? I just don't know..
07-31-2005 03:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

that's a very good point you bring up. i guess it depends on who is providing the schooling? the government? if so, then that means the money goes to the government, which is always a rather dodgy idea in my book. i live in south africa, so i see a lot of poor kids. granted, most of them aren't as skinny as the ones they show you on TV, so we don't have it quite that bad here. if you want to help, try finding an organization that ONLY supplies them with food. or, if education includes farming or something that will help them make their own food, then that can't be that bad i guess.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
08-01-2005 03:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Emie Offline
Rebel

Hmm I don't know who gives the schooling, I assume its the government though.. I didn't really look into them online, because I'm the kind of person that would read all the sad stories and then feel all guilty I'm not doing anything to help out ^^;; But the commercials usually they say "With only a few dollars a day you will be providing kids with food, water, and even a school to go to" then they will cut to a picture of the skinny kid in a really sucky looking empty school o.o; with just desks and paper.. So it looks like it just puts them in whatever schools are already built in the area.. usually the commercials on tv aren't government run programs though, the ones that usually come are run by religious charities... so I guess that's not as bad.. but that's a good idea to look for one that only gives supplies, I think I'll do that Smile Then I just need to get a job so I can have money to donate ^^;; By the way, this is random, but what's South Africa like? I live in the US and the only other country I've been to is Canada >.>;; so I'm pretty ignorant about other areas lol, I just need to graduate so I can travel around some..
08-01-2005 05:56 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

religious charities are either a lot better or worse than the government... depending on whether or not they try to "save" everyone as well Rolleyes

south africa is like a country where black people are in charge, and they have this thing called "black empowerment" that gives black people all sorts of advantages over white people, like higher wages, and better chances of getting jobs and promotions, to "make up for" all the years of apartheid, which is resulting in many white people moving to other countries... oh and they regulate all computer hardware that gets imported, so something that would cost say $400 in the US ends up costing the equivalent of $800 here. it's ... very annoying. but the landscapes are beautiful Razz

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
08-04-2005 04:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Emie Offline
Rebel

Yeah, I guess it would be hard to tell how much the charity would be trying to convert the people.. That would be bad if they did spend a lot of their money on that >.>;; Wouldn't help much.. or at all... >.>;

That sucks about South Africa o.o;; Apartheid was bad, but it seems like the reverse that is going on now is bad too >.>;; It's sad people can't just be equal with each other... it must be bad to have to pay so much for the hardware too >.>;; That's good about the landscapes though ^_^ that's cool at least ^^
08-08-2005 02:40 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

yeah, it's understandable that they would try and help the black people to get started in the new government and all, but nowadays you see all these rich black people with fancy cars, generally middle class white people just getting by, and still bazillions of black and a few white street people begging and stealing to survive. what has changed? ... we have rich black people now too. whoopee. i'm sure all the starving people are cheering. not.

Hidden stuff:
08-09-2005 06:39 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

School is an institution. Therefore an institution put in place in differant scenario's will reap differant results.

In the industrialized world we don't need school. the majority of us are literate at least enough to build our literacy, and impart it on our children. Alot of us have good hearts as well and would be more than willing to teach the children of illiterates how to read as well as teaching thier parents as well.

We have money. Alot of money compared to the rest of the world. Not all books cost a fortune. Infact combined with the internet, books are dirt cheap Theres a copy of the communist manifesto on Ebay right now going for only $2 with free shipping and handling. There are books on Amazon that go for as low as $1.Even without the internet, its still possible for a anyone to save up enough money to buy a few.

We also have public libraries, where if you can't afford to rent them out, you can spend the day reading the book instead. Libraries today also provide free internet service. Dispite the fact that its censored and you have to share with everyone else. We also have museums and zoo's to learn from, even if we have to pay a fee, its not that hard to save up.

Then we have the internet. For $10 (unless you have AOHell) a month we have access to all of the worlds most important information. We can take college classes online if we had the money and time to, or use free websites to learn foriegn languages. I personally have been frequenting http://www.physicsclassroom.com because I never learned it in school and I have a taste for engineering now. I've also increased my vocabulary via http://www.studyspanish.com, considering I use spanish at work and its nice to be able to talk to my co-workers (all of them)

The only thing that we as an industrialized society lack is the will to do so. We'd rather sit in lectures that teach us nothing and downright brainwash us, because we don't want to put in the effort to utilize the tools we have.

3rd world countries don't have all that. The parents of those children you see on television are illiterate and have no skills themselves. The governments of thier countries are bankrupt and in many cases currupt. Libraries, museums, Zoo's and parks are far and few between. Many people don't even have the electricity to run computers let alone the money to buy one.

Where else is this child going to learn to read? There are no other opportunities available to her. And the school she will be sent to is a charity school, most likely religious. Religious schools are better in that they have no government affiliation, in fact, they teach students loyalty to a higher power instead of to the government as in public schools.

I'd rather see a 6 year old child read the bible than a one sided patriotic history textbook. At least that child who was taught to read the bible will be emparted with the intelligence needed to question authority. She won't be a sheep. and when that child leaves that charity school, we'll know that she can read.
08-09-2005 07:14 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Ayliana Wrote:I'd rather see a 6 year old child read the bible than a one sided patriotic history textbook. At least that child who was taught to read the bible. At least when that child leaves that charity school, we'll know that she can read.

good point, and yes that would be better than some government book, as long as the religious people doing the teaching aren't of the horribly narrow-minded variety, though i guess even that would be better than patriotic crap, because it's easier to de-convince people of later Razz

Hidden stuff:
08-09-2005 08:36 AM
Nicopole Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

I have no problem send a kid money for food or medicine. But the school is where i draw the line. Because i don't know who will run the schools, christians, mormans, the U.S. Goverment, i don't know but my money is on the U.S. Govt. They will probably teach the kids about the U.S. revolution and our traditions. And in it the kids will loose their traditions.

Don't fear the Man who is filled with rage and looses control. Fear the Man who is filled with rage and remains calm.
10-20-2005 03:51 PM
True Strasserist Offline
Banned

Given 31 thank(s) in 11 post(s)
Re: Just want to know other's opinions on these..

lolbump

[Image: AQUoEoe.jpg] [Image: L4WpLmZ.png]

School and the Allegory of the Cave Shooter | Username has no girlfriend! | Moon man, Moon man, can't you see?
02-08-2009 06:25 AM
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 29 post(s)
Re: Just want to know other's opinions on these..

BURN THE HERETIC
02-08-2009 06:26 AM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)
RE:

(08-09-2005 07:14 AM)Aya Wrote:  School is an institution. Therefore an institution put in place in differant scenario's will reap differant results.

In the industrialized world we don't need school. the majority of us are literate at least enough to build our literacy, and impart it on our children. Alot of us have good hearts as well and would be more than willing to teach the children of illiterates how to read as well as teaching thier parents as well.

We have money. Alot of money compared to the rest of the world. Not all books cost a fortune. Infact combined with the internet, books are dirt cheap Theres a copy of the communist manifesto on Ebay right now going for only $2 with free shipping and handling. There are books on Amazon that go for as low as $1.Even without the internet, its still possible for a anyone to save up enough money to buy a few.

We also have public libraries, where if you can't afford to rent them out, you can spend the day reading the book instead. Libraries today also provide free internet service. Dispite the fact that its censored and you have to share with everyone else. We also have museums and zoo's to learn from, even if we have to pay a fee, its not that hard to save up.

Then we have the internet. For $10 (unless you have AOHell) a month we have access to all of the worlds most important information. We can take college classes online if we had the money and time to, or use free websites to learn foriegn languages. I personally have been frequenting http://www.physicsclassroom.com because I never learned it in school and I have a taste for engineering now. I've also increased my vocabulary via http://www.studyspanish.com, considering I use spanish at work and its nice to be able to talk to my co-workers (all of them)

The only thing that we as an industrialized society lack is the will to do so. We'd rather sit in lectures that teach us nothing and downright brainwash us, because we don't want to put in the effort to utilize the tools we have.

3rd world countries don't have all that. The parents of those children you see on television are illiterate and have no skills themselves. The governments of thier countries are bankrupt and in many cases currupt. Libraries, museums, Zoo's and parks are far and few between. Many people don't even have the electricity to run computers let alone the money to buy one.

Where else is this child going to learn to read? There are no other opportunities available to her. And the school she will be sent to is a charity school, most likely religious. Religious schools are better in that they have no government affiliation, in fact, they teach students loyalty to a higher power instead of to the government as in public schools.

I'd rather see a 6 year old child read the bible than a one sided patriotic history textbook. At least that child who was taught to read the bible will be emparted with the intelligence needed to question authority. She won't be a sheep. and when that child leaves that charity school, we'll know that she can read.

Your first post. D'awww.

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
01-23-2012 07:14 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

RE: Just want to know other's opinions on these..

You bumped this thread just for that?
01-23-2012 07:32 AM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

Yeah. Just wanted to see how you were like when you were, what, 16?

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
01-23-2012 07:34 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

^ yup

Back when I wrote thoughful comments that no one gave a fuck about.

See what you fuckers have done?
01-23-2012 07:37 AM
Geeksta Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

It's sad that school is being considered as important as food or medicine.

Freedom is never given; it is always taken. So for the fact that you're not a slave, don't thank those in authority. Thank someone with a "bad attitude."
-Kevin Carson

sexual abuse of sheep is baaaaaaaaad
-BaronVonStrangle

School brings us together, but it doesn't bring us together
-Derchin

We lost Vietnam cuz we didn't train our soldiers to quickscope.
-gore goroth
01-24-2012 05:31 AM
aCol Offline
Distiller of hate

Given 20 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

It totally isn't...I'd be a expert at programming if I wouldn't need to stay in school all day...Don't want to write functions on my notepad...yeah I am a bit paranoid when it comes to that shit.

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH
01-24-2012 05:52 AM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

(01-23-2012 07:37 AM)Aya Wrote:  ^ yup

Back when I wrote thoughful comments that no one gave a fuck about.

See what you fuckers have done?

Your post made a lot of sense though.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
01-24-2012 07:03 AM
Sapphire Flames Offline
Pariah

Given 9 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

(01-24-2012 05:52 AM)aCol Wrote:  It totally isn't...I'd be a expert at programming if I wouldn't need to stay in school all day...Don't want to write functions on my notepad...yeah I am a bit paranoid when it comes to that shit.

This. This. This.

I would actually do stuff like the local learning centers or community colleges if I didn't have an average of 3 hours free time on weekdays.

"All Animals are equal, But some are more equal than others."
01-24-2012 07:59 AM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

Aya mah gurl I give a fuck about your comments.

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
01-24-2012 12:42 PM