RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Anti-Teenager "Weapon"
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 11 post(s)
Anti-Teenager "Weapon"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10269421

A scientist in britin is getting a crapload of attention for an anti-teenager weapon of sorts. It emits high-frequency sounds that can only be heard by people under 30.

Tell me,how long until high and middle schools use this?
12-02-2005 06:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

did you see the news section? the article about it being used in stores there.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
12-02-2005 06:40 AM
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

what do you mean?
12-02-2005 09:31 AM
Human V. 2.0 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Heh. They can't stop those who are agitated by noise.

++++++[br]Me, Me, Me - Agent Smith[br]++++++
12-02-2005 09:34 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Toucanman Wrote:what do you mean?

i mean that article says they sometimes use it outside conveniant stores to keep teens from hanging out near the doors. it's appalling, they treat you like a fucking rodent problem.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
12-03-2005 05:48 AM
evlclowndude Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

yeah that's pretty HorribleNo! but all the smart stores wouldn't even think about getting one of those, knowing that they'll lose alot of bussiness! I'm sure by now whoever made that has had several bricks thrown at him, contridicting that article.

"Do it again!!! Exept this time proof-read and use better descriptions!!" screamed the sinester fiqure behind the desk.
12-18-2005 01:49 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

no, unfortunately they'll win the support of the old people, who will probably become regular customers. if only there was some way to reverse it so only adults could hear.

12-18-2005 02:11 PM
cheesenomore Offline
Pariah

Given 3 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

how hard would it be to get good earplugs?

[Image: cheesep00f.png]

[21:58] <CaptainAhab> im glad that one person realized korn were losers and turned his life to jesus
[21:58] <CaptainAhab> because jesus is at least cooler than fucking korn
12-20-2005 04:15 AM
 Thanks given by: Rule_BreakerXVIII
evlclowndude Offline
Rebel

but no! Rebelnerd, the old people could just turn off there hearing aids. and not listen to the sound anymore!

"Do it again!!! Exept this time proof-read and use better descriptions!!" screamed the sinester fiqure behind the desk.
12-21-2005 10:12 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

yeah, i guess that's true. damn geezers...

12-21-2005 11:02 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

Rebelnerd Wrote:i mean that article says they sometimes use it outside conveniant stores to keep teens from hanging out near the doors. it's appalling, they treat you like a fucking rodent problem.
Haha, really! This basic issue isn't new; I had a column from the chicago tribune back in '93 or so about stores putting up signs with things like "only one teen in the store at once." But it it seems to be getting worse.

I think that the solution is to encourage some stores to be teen friendly, and as a result they could get all the business the other stores didn't want. It's amazing how much spending that is: http://www.teenresearch.com/PRview.cfm?edit_id=378

An even better option may be to "simply" establish stores owned or majority controlled by teens, that could market themselves as nondiscriminatory. This, in the end, might be the only way to really counteract the age discrimination that's out of control.

Hey, maybe that could even be done with schools... Biggrin

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
12-24-2005 07:01 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

what's so ironic is that many of these store owners are the same people who were all fired up about ending racism and discrimination in the 60s.

12-24-2005 07:54 AM
humanoid Offline
Rebel

Rebelnerd Wrote:what's so ironic is that many of these store owners are the same people who were all fired up about ending racism and discrimination in the 60s.
yea i know they all thought that a free america would be awesome .... the generation before them hated them to is it just that old people are jealous?
12-24-2005 08:18 AM
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

xcriteria Wrote:
Rebelnerd Wrote:i mean that article says they sometimes use it outside conveniant stores to keep teens from hanging out near the doors. it's appalling, they treat you like a fucking rodent problem.
Haha, really! This basic issue isn't new; I had a column from the chicago tribune back in '93 or so about stores putting up signs with things like "only one teen in the store at once." But it it seems to be getting worse.

I think that the solution is to encourage some stores to be teen friendly, and as a result they could get all the business the other stores didn't want. It's amazing how much spending that is: http://www.teenresearch.com/PRview.cfm?edit_id=378

An even better option may be to "simply" establish stores owned or majority controlled by teens, that could market themselves as nondiscriminatory. This, in the end, might be the only way to really counteract the age discrimination that's out of control.

Hey, maybe that could even be done with schools... Biggrin

Teenage Research Unlimited? Damn, we ARE being treated like rodents. Why isn't there a Parent Research Unlimited?

Back onto the topic, yes, feelings towards teenagers are, at best, unlikeable. This goes back to my other thread and Soulrisers article (which, by the way, Owns). The problom with teen-run stores is that the proporty owners would never let them touch the place (Stereotyping comes in again..)
12-27-2005 10:35 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

Toucanman Wrote:Teenage Research Unlimited? Damn, we ARE being treated like rodents. Why isn't there a Parent Research Unlimited?
Hahaha... there ought to be. I think it's understandable why companies would want to know what teens think; and it's a it's a start toward being heard -- but I doubt schools are paying for their opinions.

Toucanman Wrote:Back onto the topic, yes, feelings towards teenagers are, at best, unlikeable. This goes back to my other thread and Soulrisers article (which, by the way, Owns). The problom with teen-run stores is that the proporty owners would never let them touch the place (Stereotyping comes in again..)
If teens spend $159 billion/year, it seems that with some coordination, a combined group of them could buy property outright. It's kind of a stretch, given how things usually work, but it's not impossible. A stock could be issued, even. Also, in combination with younger adults or others who aren't ageist, it's even more plausible.

The most comprehensive article I've seen on negative feelings toward teenagers is in wikipedia: the term is ephebophobia. That term sums up a lot; it's really the whole basis for this anti-teen "weapon" and a bunch of other things. Actually I was going to post that article as its own thread, but there it is in the meantime. Actually, maybe SoulRiser could link to that in the articles section. Smile

Which existing article are you referring to?

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
12-27-2005 06:35 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

teen run store? sounds nice, but it's not gonna happen because techniqly people under 18 are not allowed to own property or money. that's right, your parents and government can legally take your money and stuff, including your store property.

12-28-2005 02:03 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

xcriteria Wrote:Actually I was going to post that article as its own thread, but there it is in the meantime. Actually, maybe SoulRiser could link to that in the articles section. Smile

good idea Wink added that and the 'the new demons' article.

thanks for bringing that to my attention Wink

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
12-28-2005 03:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

Back on the topic of the "weapon". Yes,it could be modified to be used against adults. Which begs the question: Why should this be for teens only? They should find more research for the stuff for adults, which are more likely to start riots and the sort.
12-28-2005 12:02 PM
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

xcriteria Wrote:Hahaha... there ought to be. I think it's understandable why companies would want to know what teens think; and it's a it's a start toward being heard -- but I doubt schools are paying for their opinions.

If teens spend $159 billion/year, it seems that with some coordination, a combined group of them could buy property outright. It's kind of a stretch, given how things usually work, but it's not impossible. A stock could be issued, even. Also, in combination with younger adults or others who aren't ageist, it's even more plausible.

The most comprehensive article I've seen on negative feelings toward teenagers is in wikipedia: the term is ephebophobia. That term sums up a lot; it's really the whole basis for this anti-teen "weapon" and a bunch of other things. Actually I was going to post that article as its own thread, but there it is in the meantime. Actually, maybe SoulRiser could link to that in the articles section. Smile

Which existing article are you referring to?

The "Teenage Stereotyping" one, its not hard to miss,methinks. And thanks for the article,matey, great info there. But as i said, most parents would polka....err...stereotype their hearts out*,thinking it be the future "Marijuana Warriors" Clubhouse or some shiite like that.

*Sorry,couldn't help myself from putting in a weird al reference =D
12-28-2005 12:11 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

if we could get ahold of one of these devices and adjust the frequency to affect adults, it could be a powerful asset. it could be placed in school classrooms, pep rallies, meeting places, etc to make the adults go nuts. it would be awesome, especially in the signal could be broadcast to hidden speakers all over a town or building.

12-28-2005 01:10 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

ok, i was under the impression that the reason the gadget only works on young people is because their hearing is better than older people, so they hear the noise but adults don't. so then it doesn't make sense that you'd be able to tune it the other way... right? Biggrin

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
12-29-2005 03:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

no, it's based on the idea that certain spunds can be heard by younger people because of the frequency, just like bats and dogs can hear certain sounds but we can't. it's not about the quality of hearing.

12-29-2005 04:06 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Rebelnerd Wrote:no, it's based on the idea that certain spunds can be heard by younger people because of the frequency, just like bats and dogs can hear certain sounds but we can't.

oh. i guess i missed that point Laugh

that's pretty cool though. how about making a communication device using that frequency, so only kids can hear it... that would be nifty Biggrin

Hidden stuff:
12-29-2005 05:28 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

also, it would be sweet to play a horrible screeching noise in the middle of class to annoy the teacher but leave the students unaffected. or in the middle of a principal/teacher/president's speech.

12-29-2005 06:23 AM
Human V. 2.0 Offline
Revolutionary

You know what's funny? You complain about the anti-teenager weapon, but teenagers are the ones who are throwing hissyfits when they don't get thier little albums, and every kid complains so he or she can get thier drug addiction, AKA Riddilin. You know why they made it? BECAUSE YOU'RE THE FUCKING PROBLEM! You act like a pest, and you are a pest, so they have every right to defend their property, from morons like you.

12-29-2005 07:31 AM
modest mouse Offline
Fanatic

a deul is gentleman like...

"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees through narrow chinks of his cavern."
12-29-2005 10:34 AM
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

Human V. 2.0 Wrote:teenagers are the ones who are throwing hissyfits when they don't get thier little albums

......the hell? Are you talking about music or somthing, because I'm perfectly fine if Coheed and Cambria takes another year to finish their next album, if it's good.

Human V 2.0 Wrote:and every kid complains so he or she can get thier drug addiction, AKA Riddilin

Once again,I really have no idea what your saying. How does complaining get them Riddilin? On that matter, what is Riddilin, a drug or somthing? Besides, what indication do you have of me wanting to do drugs? I'm a diabetic, drugs will fuck me up even more if i was'nt one. I have NO REASON why i should do drugs AT ALL. Not every teenager in the world does drugs.

Human V 2.0 Wrote:You know why they made it? BECAUSE YOU'RE THE FUCKING PROBLEM!

Another example of stereotyping. I don't hang around stores throwing eggs at people,I have no reason to do so. Yes, there are some asshole kids that have nothing better to do than just that, but there a whole lot more people who don't do that. Try getting to know a person,instead of immediatly assuming that they're on of those kind of people.

Human V 2.0 Wrote:You act like a pest, and you are a pest, so they have every right to defend their property, from morons like you.

Quite the contrare', Your the moron,for making sure that whenever you see a teenager,you IMMEDIATLY brand them as a pot-smoking, fucked up idiot. As i said, get to know a person before you brand them.

What I'm saying is that the TECHNOLOGY might be used again in schools or other places, because of your kind of stereotyping. I think this technology is Great for shopowners who have a problom with drug-using and soliciting teenagers and the sort, but NOT for the teenagers who are branded as one of them,but are truely not. THAT is what the shopkeepers will eventually do.They'll use it on every teenager who they think look like trouble.

It's what YOU are doing that I'm angry about. Branding good people and making them bad in a heartbeat.
12-30-2005 03:12 AM
Human V. 2.0 Offline
Revolutionary

Here's my logic, challenge it:

Why are so worried about the technology, if you haven't done something to warrant you being worried about it? That's where I get the stereotyping.

I'm sorry if you believe that I'm making a stereotype of people, but that's what I've seen. Don't you think I've tried to get to know them? Sure, I have, but the deeper you dig, the more shit you find.

You think I brand them? Sure, I do, because I'm one of them.
I know that there are people out there who do it, because I've done it before.

And why the hell would they use it in schools? Aren't kids supposed to be there?

12-30-2005 12:35 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

they could use it as a punishment, or to disperse protests.

12-31-2005 02:52 AM
Human V. 2.0 Offline
Revolutionary

Then use, what you learned in science class to win:
Sound needs a medium to travel through, and only a certain amount of sounds can occupy said medium. The noise maker, most likely, will not work, if you are blasting "Die MotherFucker Die" by Dope, extremely loudly.

12-31-2005 03:05 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  An Interview with an Unschooling Teenager xcriteria 0 2,044 07-11-2015 09:56 AM
Last Post: xcriteria
  When "Education" is Used as a Weapon xcriteria 5 2,664 01-02-2015 07:36 AM
Last Post: MurkScribe
  Tyranny, a dangerous weapon. Intone 16 4,236 04-26-2014 04:26 AM
Last Post: Trar
  "You're just a whiny teenager!" James Comey 30 15,950 02-28-2014 04:03 PM
Last Post: James Comey