RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
good movie
cheesenomore Offline
Pariah

Given 3 thank(s) in 2 post(s)
good movie

anybody here seen the movie Donnie Darko? if not, see it, it's really good!

[Image: cheesep00f.png]

[21:58] <CaptainAhab> im glad that one person realized korn were losers and turned his life to jesus
[21:58] <CaptainAhab> because jesus is at least cooler than fucking korn
01-14-2006 07:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ANAL_FROST!!! Offline
Pariah

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

ive never heard of it, but ill check it out.

"...if analfrost says killpress is a fag, it must be true. anal never lies. except that time he said he never ate cat shit...that liar"
-Niles Hartley

(quote edited so ppl would know who he was talking about)
01-14-2006 09:26 AM
modest mouse Offline
Fanatic

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

dude that movie is awsome

"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees through narrow chinks of his cavern."
01-16-2006 02:06 AM
ANAL_FROST!!! Offline
Pariah

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

theres alot of stuff ive never heard of

"...if analfrost says killpress is a fag, it must be true. anal never lies. except that time he said he never ate cat shit...that liar"
-Niles Hartley

(quote edited so ppl would know who he was talking about)
01-16-2006 02:33 AM
evlclowndude Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
I have!

OMG!!! I love that movie! what a small world! me and the great lifeischeese enjoy the same movie!Cool

"Do it again!!! Exept this time proof-read and use better descriptions!!" screamed the sinester fiqure behind the desk.
01-18-2006 04:45 AM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

I don't like the evil bunny:(
if I was donnie darko> Biggrin:(:eek:NoneBigeekSadCryUhohDead

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
01-20-2006 12:14 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

i just saw that last might, holy crap that was like the best movie ever, another one for the top 10 list Biggrin . this may sound nerdy but i couldn't sleep last night because i kept thinking about time travel and causality and shit like that.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
07-26-2006 03:33 AM
modest mouse Offline
Fanatic

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

:supresses laugh: Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

nerd

"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees through narrow chinks of his cavern."
07-26-2006 04:49 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

well come on, it's interesting! what if everything we do is predestined? then all this political freedom stuff is basically futile because we can never truly be free. the only way to do that would be to see your future, but what if seeing your future was fated as well and the origional future was never meant to happen? fucking hell i'm probably insane already...

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
07-26-2006 05:35 AM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

I love Donnie Darko.

No, seriously that movie definitely makes my top five movies.

And I highly recommend the director's cut. I don't like the change in music editing but I do like the change in that they actually have chapters of The Philosophy of Time Travel up on the screen. It makes a whole lot more sense. Or I suppose I should say, it explains a lot more and makes you think about it a lot more and makes you think circles around yourself until you drive yourself crazy.

If you're the kind of person who likes to analyze that stuff...

But yeah...Fight Club, Donnie Darko, Memento, Pulp Fiction, V for Vendetta, and...eh, I'm forgetting another really good one. For other interesting sci-fi material read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series and The Science of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It's a pretty nice summary of theoretical science involved in the book. And no, I'm not obsessed. >.>
07-26-2006 07:02 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

yeah, i haven't seen that yet. but OCD/paranoid+mindbending time paradoxes=not good. Uhoh

and isn't the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy just comedy? i thought it was all probably drug-induced random funny stuff.

07-26-2006 10:02 AM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

It's satire. Yeah, sometimes you have to stop and wonder if Doug was on crack when he wrote it but what appears to be random is actually incredibly complex plot twists that are bound to show up later (the movie not so much). But when I think of it, I actually think of it as a piece of genius.

Just comedy? Pfft. Well...okay, I tend to not like comedy without substance but if you read Douglas Adams in the right state of mind, it sort of has substance... Satire's weird that way.

But yeah...mindblending time paradoxes, although fascinating, can definitely drive a person crazy. They're like a train wreck or something. Don't wanna stare but you can't look away. You have to think about it more but you know you'll never reach an actual fool-proof conclusion. Which is why I say the director's cut although it tries to explain it more...maybe it shouldn't explain it more. I like having my mind fucked with but some people just whine that they enjoyed the movie without dealing with the time travel "explanation".
07-26-2006 11:36 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

i guess it's satire, i'm just not sure what it was satire of. don't get me wrong, it was funny as hell i just didn't know it was about anything. and there's nothing wrong with plain meaningless entertainment every now and then, it just seemed like there was some kind of substance involved in the the writing,probably an illegal one.

having your brain fucked can be fun if it's about an issue that doesn't directly affect you, like time travel. but when you start thinking about causality and predestination, that's when you go nuts. you keep start thinking that basic concepts and things you took for granted may be subjective. what i keep wondering is; if everything is based on cause and effect, how can we make decisions? if our thoughts are just more additions to the endless chain of action/reaction then are we really thinking or are our brains like robots, reacting to circumstances that keep the chain going. and if that's true, then the idea of fate must also be true becuse there has to be a logical series of reactions.

i think of it like a domino line, with the universe's beginning represented by the first tipping of the domino. after that, the series of cause/effect can develop into complex shapes (life, thoughts, society, etc...) but there's still only one way it can go, because when an action occurs only certain things can happen as a result.

that's the thought that keeps me up at night: fate without reason. things happen to us because they're the only things that can possibly happen because of previous events that occured for the same reason. that all our delusions about free will and society and thinking was all a lie, just another link in the chain that we can't change, because even if we looked into the future to try and change it, the action of looking into the future would be preordained just like everything else. what if all we are are robots set on a path we can never stray from? can we even consider that living? it's a scary idea that can fuck with your head if you think about it too much.

whew, just had to get that out. it's late, and the OCD/paranoia's startin' up again.

07-26-2006 01:42 PM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

In the beggining of the movie, Donnie Darko's mom is reading Stephen King's IT on the lawn chair
[Image: holyfuckinhell.jpg]
[Image: tn_it_pennywisewp04.jpg]
\

07-26-2006 06:30 PM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

[Image: waaaah.jpg]
[Image: osweetjesus.jpg]
[Image: pennywise_clown_king_oberar.jpg]

07-26-2006 06:31 PM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

Yar.

No, I'm not obsessed enough to have watched it with Director's commentary more than once.

>.>
07-27-2006 06:22 AM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Confused
Was that directed at my post, or RebelNerds?

07-27-2006 09:51 AM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

Yours.

The 'It' reference.
07-27-2006 11:36 AM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

I've only seen Donnie Darko on TV. The first time I watched it I noticed a big red blob on the book she was reading, and I had read IT a few weeks before I saw the movie. Also I have this kick ass TV system where I can record 60 hours worth of movies. So I rewatched it, and I'm pretty sure its Stephen King's It...
PRETTY SURE! Not 100%.... but whatever.

07-27-2006 12:30 PM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

It is.

<--Shortest pun ever.
07-27-2006 02:59 PM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

OK, well I knew I was right from the beggining... ;D

07-27-2006 11:05 PM
xXThe Damnation ProjectXx Offline
Fanatic

but how did u know u were right

Freya Stark - “There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do.”

[Image: untitled-4.jpg]
07-28-2006 03:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

Couldn't fine the screenshot. But this, for some reason, amuses me.

[Image: tcc_donnie_darko.jpg]
07-28-2006 08:22 AM
Fanatic

hahahhahahahha

Freya Stark - “There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do.”

07-29-2006 02:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Z? Offline
Revolutionary

if you have seen the Btterfly Effect you have pretty much seen Donnie Darko. I thought Darko was better though. Nothing beats a freaky bunny Evil
08-03-2006 02:58 AM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

How do you even begin to compare The Butterfly Effect and Darko?

First off Ashton, ew. Jake, drool. But that's just the manic part of me talking.

I honestly didn't like The Butterfly effect all that much. I mean I thought I would like it and then it just seemed off to me. Good concept, bad something else. Darko had way more complexity.
08-09-2006 04:09 PM
Fanatic

idk if yall girls classify ashton as hot but hes funny in that 70's show

08-10-2006 06:05 AM
Z? Offline
Revolutionary

I wasn't talking about the quality of the movies, i was talking about the fact that both main characters are in some kind of time rift (or create thier own) and have to sort everything out.
08-12-2006 07:53 PM