RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Support Piracy!
Missile Offline
с гордостью девственница

Given 112 thank(s) in 82 post(s)
Support Piracy!

I prefer to say "bootlegged" because I think it's cooler to say instead of "pirate"

Wake up people, and look at life around you
http://debunking911.com/?no_redirect=true

[Image: DK3ygqj.gif]
07-12-2014 01:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: The man
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
Support Piracy!

I'm a bootlegged pirate

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
07-12-2014 06:25 AM
Missile Offline
с гордостью девственница

Given 112 thank(s) in 82 post(s)
Support Piracy!

I pirated a Limp Bizkit song and a few Green Day songs on a school computer one time, they never knew, and I'm probably going to bootleg (if you count burning stuff onto discs as pirating) Halo Reach. I already bought the game in a store, but since I have 2 little brothers (we all are Halo fans) we can only play two people at once on a TV (split-screen) but since my uncle gave me a xbox for free, so I just need a burner and a disc with a lot of gigs, so I can play campaign/firefight/custom games with my two brothers. (It will be me playing on the second console in one room and over a system link or over xbox live and my two brothers playing on my original console in the next room on splitscreen)

Wake up people, and look at life around you
http://debunking911.com/?no_redirect=true

[Image: DK3ygqj.gif]
07-16-2014 08:20 AM
sswbm Offline
Revolutionary

Given 192 thank(s) in 120 post(s)
RE: Support Piracy!

Quote:Support Theft!

Rocket
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2014 06:59 AM by sswbm.)
09-29-2014 06:58 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

Given 160 thank(s) in 104 post(s)

(09-29-2014 06:58 AM)Jop Wrote:  

Rocket

Piracy isn't theft. Theft robs the original owner of the item in question, piracy makes a copy and doesn't deprive the holder of said item.

Hidden stuff:
TRIGGER WARNING: THIS TRIGGER WARNING CONTAINS TRIGGER WARNINGS!

Dear Tumblrites: Despite your wrongly self-diagnosed PTSD, no line of scientific evidence suggests people can be triggered over the internet. Triggering works through the senses (i.e. smell, taste, touch, vision, hearing.) but it goes through real time; if you're not experiencing it in real life as it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING in your ACTUAL life, you CANNOT be triggered. The only exception to this is if you have a seizure, but then again, that's triggered by epilepsy (i.e. rapidly-changing flashing lights) NOT PTSD. Remembering a bad incident is NOT the same thing as having a flashback. When you remember, you think; when you flashback, you feel.

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

[Image: violator_blackbg_110x32.gif]
Max Stirnir Wrote:"In the time of spirits thoughts grew till they overtopped my head, whose offspring they yet were; they hovered about me and convulsed me like fever-phantasies -- an awful power. The thoughts had become corporeal on their own account, were ghosts, e. g. God, Emperor, Pope, Fatherland, etc. If I destroy their corporeity, then I take them back into mine, and say: "I alone am corporeal." And now I take the world as what it is to me, as mine, as my property; I refer all to myself." The Ego and Its Own, pg. 15
Charles Manson Wrote:“Look down at me and you see a fool;
look up at me and you see a god;
look straight at me and you see yourself”
HeartofShadows Wrote:"Life is nothing more than a druggie trying to get their quick fix of happiness while dealing with the harsh withdrawal of reality"
Osip Mandelstam Wrote:"I divide all of world literature into authorized and unauthorized works. The former are all trash; the latter--stolen air. I want to spit in the face of every writer who first obtains permission and then writes." The Fourth Prose, 1930.
Lukas Foss Wrote:That is why the analogy of stealing does not work. With a thief, we want to know how much money he stole, and from whom. With the artist it is not how much he took and from whom, but what he did with it.
PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
 Pirate Join the crew!Pirate
02-12-2015 09:39 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

(02-12-2015 09:39 AM)Sociopath Wrote:  
(09-29-2014 06:58 AM)Jop Wrote:  

Rocket

Piracy isn't theft. Theft robs the original owner of the item in question, piracy makes a copy and doesn't deprive the holder of said item.

Bless your soul.

Best way to find an idiot is to see if they equate cyber-piracy with theft. Only a real cyberpirate knows it ain't theft, it's just making a copy.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
02-12-2015 12:52 PM
 Thanks given by: Sociopath , The man
sswbm Offline
Revolutionary

You are robbing them of the money they should get. Movie/game/book and software creators need to eat too!
02-13-2015 02:21 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

(02-13-2015 02:21 AM)Jop Wrote:  You are robbing them of the money they should get. Movie/game/book and software creators need to eat too!

Then buy indie games and pirate large corporations.

The "They need to eat" argument is pretty weak. Actors make millions 1-2 digit millions, studios make 2-3 digit millions.

So don't tell me that Brad Pitt or Fox "needs to eat" when they're making millions of dollars.

Amazing how people can be so easily duped to believe the crap corporations tell them. "We're people too, if you overlook the fact we try to avoid paying taxes, find tax loopholes, and only care about making more money!"-Corporate Motto

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
02-13-2015 02:33 AM
 Thanks given by: Sociopath , The man
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

(02-13-2015 02:21 AM)Jop Wrote:  You are robbing them of the money they should get. Movie/game/book and software creators need to eat too!

Should they get money? Sure. But the REAL question is, should we the consumers have an obligation to pay them? No. You can make things like movies, games, books sure, but don't expect that your customer have an obligation to pay for it.

I hold doors open for people and do free shit all the time, you don't expect me to get paid for it.

This comment has been a free PSA sponsored by me, for which I was not paid for.

Hidden stuff:

Dear Tumblrites: Despite your wrongly self-diagnosed PTSD, no line of scientific evidence suggests people can be triggered over the internet. Triggering works through the senses (i.e. smell, taste, touch, vision, hearing.) but it goes through real time; if you're not experiencing it in real life as it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING in your ACTUAL life, you CANNOT be triggered. The only exception to this is if you have a seizure, but then again, that's triggered by epilepsy (i.e. rapidly-changing flashing lights) NOT PTSD. Remembering a bad incident is NOT the same thing as having a flashback. When you remember, you think; when you flashback, you feel.

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

Max Stirnir Wrote:"In the time of spirits thoughts grew till they overtopped my head, whose offspring they yet were; they hovered about me and convulsed me like fever-phantasies -- an awful power. The thoughts had become corporeal on their own account, were ghosts, e. g. God, Emperor, Pope, Fatherland, etc. If I destroy their corporeity, then I take them back into mine, and say: "I alone am corporeal." And now I take the world as what it is to me, as mine, as my property; I refer all to myself." The Ego and Its Own, pg. 15
HeartofShadows Wrote:"Life is nothing more than a druggie trying to get their quick fix of happiness while dealing with the harsh withdrawal of reality"
Osip Mandelstam Wrote:"I divide all of world literature into authorized and unauthorized works. The former are all trash; the latter--stolen air. I want to spit in the face of every writer who first obtains permission and then writes." The Fourth Prose, 1930.
Lukas Foss Wrote:That is why the analogy of stealing does not work. With a thief, we want to know how much money he stole, and from whom. With the artist it is not how much he took and from whom, but what he did with it.
PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
02-14-2015 05:10 AM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

If I am not going to buy something in the first place and then decide to pirate it, please do tell me what money I am depriving them of. After day-to-day expenses I do not have money to spare, so it isn't as though I'm going to add to their bottom-line if I decide not to pirate something. Occasionally I do go to a concert or buy an album to support artists I enjoy, almost always after pirating their work. Ultimately, they do not lose any money off of me and only stand to gain after I decide to download their material. We're glad to hear your parents have extra money for you to splurge though.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
02-14-2015 08:52 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , The man
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Support Piracy!

Plus I like to believe that piracy helps keep popular games in existence in a virtual setting even if it's not as available in the physical sense.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
02-14-2015 09:01 AM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

(02-14-2015 09:01 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Plus I like to believe that piracy helps keep popular games in existence in a virtual setting even if it's not as available in the physical sense.

That's true, we will always be able to play games from classic consoles through emulators despite the availability of the originals getting scarcer in proportion to time. Smile

Who am I? Who are YOU?
02-14-2015 09:17 AM
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)

Meanwhile, I feel guilty for buying FTL during a sale.

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
02-14-2015 10:43 AM
sswbm Offline
Revolutionary

The "put up for free and ask for donations" model sounds good, but the problem is that it does unfortunately not work. Some people have tried it and they barely got any money to sustain themselves.
I have read a really good blog post about it but I can't find it anymore.
02-14-2015 07:14 PM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

I think since all ideas come from the outside world, the outside world is basically the public domain, and if it comes from the public domain, it should stay IN the public domain. Therefore, people do not own ideas and cannot monopolize them.

Fuck copyright, fuck patents, fuck trademarks.

Hidden stuff:

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
02-15-2015 03:03 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

(02-14-2015 07:14 PM)Jop Wrote:  The "put up for free and ask for donations" model sounds good, but the problem is that it does unfortunately not work. Some people have tried it and they barely got any money to sustain themselves.
I have read a really good blog post about it but I can't find it anymore.

Well the modern motto is "Name it full, sell it half". Especially video games where you don't even get the full game and have to buy DLCs to actually have the complete thing(for example, Company of Heros. You buy the standard game, and what do ya see? a menu with like 8 campaigns but only 1 is playable because it turns out the rest are DLCs. I just got sold 1/8th a game for the cost of a full game).

Plus only jerks take advantage of indie games for the most part. Probably because indie gamers aren't anal about piracy and go crazy with anti-piracy campaigns, lawsuits and defamation.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
02-15-2015 05:21 AM
Aureate Offline
Renegade

Given 86 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

This is very difficult. For a long time, I struggled to decide either way on the topic of digital piracy. After much thought, I concluded that we are faced with a sort of compositional labyrinth, one in which rules governing the individual cannot be allowed dominion over the population.

If I am choosing between one of two options--pirating a movie or not watching it at all--I can say that the former costs no one anything (the producer would not have had my business anyway), while the latter costs me enjoyment. The logical choice is to pirate. That's right, Pirating is preferable to not watching, and we legally allow people not to watch movies.

On the scale of a population, however, mass-pirating would devastate producers and we would all lose the pleasure of good movies. We must then make it difficult enough for people to pirate that some will still buy. By setting such obstacles in their way as legal persecution, we preserve the flourishing state of the cinematic industry.

But if you or I are resourceful enough to avoid such pitfalls and still pirate, are we justified? I say yes.

Principle does not oppose the lone pirate, so I would suggest carefully moderated coercion take its place.
02-18-2015 10:24 PM
James Comey Away
Banished Oldfaf in Exile

Given 2293 thank(s) in 1517 post(s)
Support Piracy!

Looking back I'm unsure how I feel about piracy, especially given that I'm writing a book and such will be a source of income; I mean personally I'd actually love for my book to be pirated if it got published, but people forget that not all of these artists are super rich, and that their lives are more stressful than we'd like to think they are.

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP VONUNOV
RIP WES/THEWAKE
RIP USERNAME

[Image: Nas-One-Love.jpg]

Stop jerking off to porn and whining and do something about it

Make School Survival Great Again - MSSGA

Hidden stuff:

[Image: BallsofSteel2.png]
[Image: mg_michelle_2020.png]
04-11-2017 04:10 AM
sswbm Offline
Revolutionary

(04-11-2017 04:10 AM)Hansgrohe Wrote:  I mean personally I'd actually love for my book to be pirated if it got published

Why not just put it online then Confused
04-11-2017 04:13 AM
James Comey Away
Banished Oldfaf in Exile

Support Piracy!

Cause I'd love for it to get published and have a stream of income lol, and use that income for further resources.

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP VONUNOV
RIP WES/THEWAKE
RIP USERNAME

Hidden stuff:

04-11-2017 04:14 AM
sswbm Offline
Revolutionary

"I'm not going to put it on the web, but I hope some random dickhead does"

You can BOTH put it on the web and publish it, you know. I've seen someone do that actually.
04-11-2017 06:03 AM
James Comey Away
Banished Oldfaf in Exile

Support Piracy!

I know, it's called an eBook, and Amazon, lol.

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP VONUNOV
RIP WES/THEWAKE
RIP USERNAME

Hidden stuff:

04-11-2017 06:26 AM
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

Given 434 thank(s) in 261 post(s)

Gatto did it

Purity is to Believe only that which deserves it.
Wisdom is to follow only the Opinion which makes the best use of evidence.
Excellence is to be mindful of all these things in Living.
Follow me on Twitter!
04-13-2017 01:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply