RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Pro-School Arguments
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)
Re: Pro-School Arguments

escru Wrote:I am going into chartered accountancy in Canada. Tell me how you can skip 5 years of post-secondary learning, kiss someones ass, and get in without any work experience in said relative field.

Why would I want to.

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
01-27-2009 06:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
random_name Offline
Fanatic

Given 15 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

Escapist Wrote:Woah, BMP's getting cool :o

@mods: quick, ban more people, it has a positive effect!

mods dont have the power of banning, =[

only admins do. /end jealousy

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"I would rather die for something I believe in than live for anything else."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
[Image: s-event.png]
01-27-2009 07:07 AM
milkduds Offline
Rebel

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

escru Wrote:Lol. Thats all I can say.

I'm Canadian, and in high school (gr 12). I'm not too sure about american schools, but from what I've heard like everyone fucking drops out and works at target and try to scrap some online course.

Of course, you can say that the American high school system (or whatever the fuck you call it) has failed american youth. I think its just the youth problem. Theres this mentality that school sucks. I know this is gonna hurt you since you people sound fairly intelligent, but dropouts are just plain stupid.

I mean think about it. Life is hard. Do you just give up cuz your teacher is being gay? No. You know the reason why old people keep saying youngsters are turning out for the worse? Its because you have it SO much easier yet you still complain and bitch to no end.

What makes you think you can succeed in life if you give up so easily. Sure its boring - every job in the world is fucking boring. You can say the world is just entrapped in being quiet and doing mindless work. This doesn't just apply to high school. So with that information, what makes you think you can succeed in real life if you couldn't even fucking handle juniour science?

I'm gonna have to say this - have fun working at target or walmart or mcdonalds. I know SOME of you will be able to get semi decent jobs without attending highschool or college/university. But the MAJORITY will become fucking hobos, or take to the streets. Heck, you'll be drifing in and out of jobs and living possibly in your rent's basements.

That was long, yes, but I'd just like to conclude by saying if you can fucking handle school, you most probably cant handle life in general.

ur american btw just to break the news to u. where is canada located? north america which makes u northern AMERICAN.
im not going to agree or disagree to ur opinions after all everything is in the eye of the beholder theres no rite or wrong for anything. but i am going to say that u cant compare something so grand and uncontrollable as life to something so tiny and trivial to junior science or a crappy teacher.

try looking at life differently, at a different angle. im only in the 9th grade and i do want to dropout i have no desire to stay in school, does that make me weak or stupid? i dont think that i think abiding to other people makes u weak and stupid. i dont have any plans for the future and i dont plan to make any. im just living life as it is. sure i might not b rich or successful in other peoples eyes but i dont really care. my idea of succeeding life is to have fun and die peacefully. sure thats might sound like a childish way of thinking since reality is nothin like that.

sry to say this but ur post makes u sound like a asshole Yes and i do think that u have not truly thought for urself in a long time since all those things u wrote ive heard them hundreds of times before.
03-06-2009 07:38 AM
 Thanks given by: Avatar Korra
returnal Away
cold like minnesota (brrr!)

Given 29 thank(s) in 26 post(s)

milkduds Wrote:ur american btw just to break the news to u. where is canada located? north america which makes u northern AMERICAN.
im not going to agree or disagree to ur opinions after all everything is in the eye of the beholder theres no rite or wrong for anything. but i am going to say that u cant compare something so grand and uncontrollable as life to something so tiny and trivial to junior science or a crappy teacher.

try looking at life differently, at a different angle. im only in the 9th grade and i do want to dropout i have no desire to stay in school, does that make me weak or stupid? i dont think that i think abiding to other people makes u weak and stupid. i dont have any plans for the future and i dont plan to make any. im just living life as it is. sure i might not b rich or successful in other peoples eyes but i dont really care. my idea of succeeding life is to have fun and die peacefully. sure thats might sound like a childish way of thinking since reality is nothin like that.

sry to say this but ur post makes u sound like a asshole Yes and i do think that u have not truly thought for urself in a long time since all those things u wrote ive heard them hundreds of times before.

Fucker hasn't been active in over a month. His arguments have already been proven nil. No need to reply.

woah dude
dude woah
03-06-2009 08:25 AM
 Thanks given by: The man
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

Great, great article. I hope you don't mind that I transferred this to Word, made a few changes (I don't like plaguerism) and I'm going to show it to my parents soon. Hopefully this will wash some of the shit out of their heads.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
04-11-2009 08:10 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Nothing renews my confidence like reading through old posts.

Laugh

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
04-15-2009 05:12 AM
username01462781 Offline
Pariah

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Sorryz for the bump.

My friend told me this: If school was optional, wouldn't most kids not go to school and just sit at home playing online games? And that the kids that did go to school were probably put there by their parents, so the choice of optional schooling wouldn't work anyway and would be just the same as compulsory schooling. Because if your at the age when kids go to school (5 y/o) your too young to make choices like that.
So it's either don't go to school and sit at home doing nothing or go to school but not by your free will.

Someone please find an argument that can counter these statements.
11-18-2009 08:22 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

The problem is that they are assuming the kids will do "nothing" (presumably nothing educational). So give 'em some examples of kids doing useful/educational stuff in their own free time that they chose to do themselves. Preferably examples of people they know, so it doesn't seem so "far-fetched".

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
11-18-2009 12:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
username01462781 Offline
Pariah

SoulRiser Wrote:The problem is that they are assuming the kids will do "nothing" (presumably nothing educational). So give 'em some examples of kids doing useful/educational stuff in their own free time that they chose to do themselves. Preferably examples of people they know, so it doesn't seem so "far-fetched".
Yeah, okay then.

So how about if someone said: What exact things would kids have to do out of school that would help them learn?
11-18-2009 02:37 PM
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

Given 11 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

Lessee, I've looked up how genetics works, I've READ BOOKS on DNA. If I'm interested in it I WILL LOOK INTO IT UNTIL I'M SATISFIED.

Seriously, I'm NOT INTERESTED IN HISTORY WHY SHOULD I LEARN IT.

Learning math is a tad more difficult than others.

Anything that ever happened or will... one condition, it has to be amazing.

I gave her wings but she don't wanna fly no more.

I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
Ooo, I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time
11-18-2009 02:43 PM
 Thanks given by: The man , Avatar Korra
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Linki Wrote:
SoulRiser Wrote:The problem is that they are assuming the kids will do "nothing" (presumably nothing educational). So give 'em some examples of kids doing useful/educational stuff in their own free time that they chose to do themselves. Preferably examples of people they know, so it doesn't seem so "far-fetched".
Yeah, okay then.

So how about if someone said: What exact things would kids have to do out of school that would help them learn?
I take it you mean how people will learn out of school?

That people who are forced to learn something learn it in about five days to half a year (depending on what you're learning). When they learn it on their own time, it's greatly excelerated, possible up to half the time. (Someone, correct me if I'm wrong/off)

They could learn their interests and master them, so they can get a job in the field they love.

[Image: True-Blood-Banner-true-blood-2196368-500-82.jpg]
Faith o' Meter
-{|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}-
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
11-18-2009 02:46 PM
username01462781 Offline
Pariah

CrayolaColours Wrote:
Linki Wrote:
Yeah, okay then.

I take it you mean how people will learn out of school?

That people who are forced to learn something learn it in about five days to half a year (depending on what you're learning). When they learn it on their own time, it's greatly excelerated, possible up to half the time. (Someone, correct me if I'm wrong/off)

They could learn their interests and master them, so they can get a job in the field they love.
Cool, thanks CC and Soul. This will be good when I have my daily arguments with teachers.
11-18-2009 06:46 PM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)

Would you rather have your child know one thing but know it damn well or mere snippets of lots of things?

Which do you think people do a)on their own or b)at school?

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
11-18-2009 07:36 PM
aerftghyjk Offline
Fanatic

Given 17 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

Some idiot commenting on a "The War On Kids" video said that compulsory schooling is needed because "look at the comments on youtube"

Yeah, the kids have bad spelling. However, that is a reason to breach their rights? Also, they ARE being forced into school, and it doesn't seem to be helping.
01-17-2010 09:57 AM
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

Memento Mori Wrote:Some idiot commenting on a "The War On Kids" video said that compulsory schooling is needed because "look at the comments on youtube"

Yeah, the kids have bad spelling. However, that is a reason to breach their rights? Also, they ARE being forced into school, and it doesn't seem to be helping.

:rofllllllllllllllllll

Wastin' time
01-17-2010 11:15 AM
okmijn22 Offline
Rebel

Given 2 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Trekkie_Aspie Wrote:Would you rather have your child know one thing but know it damn well or mere snippets of lots of things?

First point. That is the primary debate between liberal arts and specialized education.

On their own, at school point: First, one must understand the two guns of propaganda in this system is public school and western media. Those affected by Western media, as well disillusioned by school conform to the standards of Western media, movies ,games...
Thus there are four scenarios.
1. Conform to school, conform to western media
2. conform to school, ignore western media
3. ignore school, conform to western media
4. ignore school, ignore western media

From my experiences, I have been in the positions of 1,2,4. And to truly live an intellectual life, a life driven by curiosity and passion not intimidation of coercion, 4, is a truly wonder experience.
02-04-2010 08:30 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

okmijn22 Wrote:
Trekkie_Aspie Wrote:Would you rather have your child know one thing but know it damn well or mere snippets of lots of things?

First point. That is the primary debate between liberal arts and specialized education.

On their own, at school point: First, one must understand the two guns of propaganda in this system is public school and western media. Those affected by Western media, as well disillusioned by school conform to the standards of Western media, movies ,games...
Thus there are four scenarios.
1. Conform to school, conform to western media
2. conform to school, ignore western media
3. ignore school, conform to western media
4. ignore school, ignore western media

From my experiences, I have been in the positions of 1,2,4. And to truly live an intellectual life, a life driven by curiosity and passion not intimidation of coercion, 4, is a truly wonder experience.
Agreed.

[Image: glorious666.png]
03-04-2010 03:17 PM
aerftghyjk Offline
Fanatic

Someone said school is worth going to because of "friends".

MAYBE, I am not a social butterfly.
MAYBE, I do not care about making any more friends.
MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, I am not the same as my peers.
AND MAYBE, I am my own person.

Seriously, if something works out for you in school, the same is not going to happen with everyone else.
03-05-2010 11:09 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

Not to mention, school is a horrible way to socialize.
And there are plenty of other ways to make friends.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
03-05-2010 12:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aerftghyjk Offline
Fanatic

"Spanking is not child abuse"

Really? Using pain and fear to manipulate a child is not abuse?
03-06-2010 10:20 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Memento Mori Wrote:Someone said school is worth going to because of "friends".

MAYBE, I am not a social butterfly.
MAYBE, I do not care about making any more friends.
MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, I am not the same as my peers.
AND MAYBE, I am my own person.

Seriously, if something works out for you in school, the same is not going to happen with everyone else.
CERTAINLY, school is certainly NOT the only place to make friends,
AND CERTAINLY, the world is much bigger, with much more kinds of people and possibilities than god damn SCHOOL!

03-06-2010 04:39 PM
waspline Offline
Revolutionary

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Here's one:
What Would you do if you didn't go to school?
03-07-2010 08:45 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Jmusial Wrote:Here's one:
Be better at everything, by learning things that will actually be useful. Starting to do something and making money.

03-07-2010 10:13 AM
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

Lear things I was interested in.

What I think we need in alternative to school would be; programs oriented toward introducing youngins to new things, and if they want to learn more, direct them to websources and the like. Television programs.

Wastin' time
03-07-2010 12:04 PM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

Loxor Wrote:

Learn things I was interested in.
This times a hundred.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
03-07-2010 04:23 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Kirby Wrote:4. "You should be glad that you have schooling, what about the millions that don't?"

You should be glad you have someone to rape you. What about the millions of people who don't get any sex at all?

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
07-06-2010 06:19 AM
Slick Offline
Shattered

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

Kirby Wrote:2."If children didn't go to school, how would they learn to do X?"

Answer:Parents teach children to read all the time and parents could probably teach other basic skills as well. More complex subjects would require a knowledgeable individual, but those individuals are everywhere. Also realize that if school is voluntary, it does not mean that everybody will stop going.

Random Person's response:

Random person Wrote:Great idea!
I'm sure that will greatly benefit our economy.
Just imagine how many workers McDonalds could hire!

What would be a good pro argument for this?

Quote:Slick's Mental Health Status
[Image: Q9YKMxA.gif?1]
07-26-2010 07:36 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Kirby Wrote:Answer: Parents teach children to read all the time and parents could probably teach other basic skills as well.
Ew. My parents didn't teach me anything. Reading, like every other skill ever in the entire world, can't be taught/forced into someone's head. They have to learn it themselves. Reading, like everything else ever, is much better learned on one's own schedule rather than someone else's.

Edit:
@ Slick:
I don't understand the randon person's response. Why are they saying that shit? Are they going right back to the bullshit about how kids won't do anything ever unless they are forced or coerced?

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

07-26-2010 07:41 AM
Slick Offline
Shattered

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

Prince Rilian Wrote:@ Slick:
I don't understand the randon person's response. Why are they saying that shit? Are they going right back to the bullshit about how kids won't do anything ever unless they are forced or coerced?

I guess he's saying if that kids decided to go forth on doing
alternative learning besides going to school, it would be bad for our economy.

He just decided to state it in a sarcastic tone though.

Quote:Slick's Mental Health Status
[Image: Q9YKMxA.gif?1]
07-26-2010 08:04 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

An actual person said this to you?

Because the argument is "without school, how learn x?" And the response is, "like this." And this person's response just rejects that. He's not really responding to it. He didn't even state his rejection, but it's behind what he said. He doesn't believe the "like this." So, if this is a real person you are talking to, address that. Ask him why he thinks it won't work to learn what you need/want when you need/want by enlisting the assisstance of someone whose help you want and who wants to help you.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

07-26-2010 08:09 AM