RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Everything is restricted
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Everything is restricted

A random thought of mine:

Faith gets restricted by being organized into religions with traditions and habits, learning gets restricted by being put into a school with schedules and grades, and love gets restricted by being put into relationships with expectations and jealousy to control it.

Anyone got more examples?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
11-17-2006 07:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

wait, are we talking about just things restricted by governments/society, or just restricted in general? because if you want to get all philosophical about it everything is restricted, with no free will and all that...

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
11-17-2006 07:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

by society mainly... stuff that, if left alone, would be a lot more free and personal (and probably better).

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
11-17-2006 07:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Speech and diversity. Holding back something to be polite and not offend someone or telling little white lies to avoid an argument. Preschool teachers who don't give the kids 1000 different color crayons to choose from. School plays where you get complaints from parents for using stage cigarettes or having any controversial content whatsoever. Teachers who have to abide by a strict curriculum. Developing at your own pace, you're just about always segregated by what someone else thinks is age-apropriate.

The list goes on and on.

Let's do the time warp again!
11-17-2006 07:39 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Ahh yes, politeness and various other things. I can't remember how many things I've wanted to say but didn't, due to some or other awkward factor...

Hidden stuff:
11-17-2006 08:09 AM
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

Restrictions are not necessarily bad. Some restrictions only harmful only when set by an outside force. For example, the devoting your life to the wellbeing of others can be liberating and joyous. Doing so would set restrictions on your personal life. But because they are your restrictions and are self enforced, the restrictions do no harm. If you were forced to neglect your personal life, then you would be unhappy.
11-17-2006 11:34 AM
Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

True that, self imposed restrictions can be damn useful.

What I originally had in mind was more along the lines of things that are GOOD and free, but that people try to organize in some way, and in doing so, they suck the life out of it. Something like that...

Talking counts too, with all the manners and politeness and things you're not supposed to say because it's "inappropriate", even if you really need to say it.

Hidden stuff:
11-18-2006 02:11 AM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Quote:Man cannot live freely without embracing suicide and crime. [Murder by Numbers]

I've always loved that quote. It creates a conflict feeling in my gut but I think it's completely true and relevent to the topic. No, not all restrictions are wrong. But it is interesting to analyze them from a skeptical point of view to understand why and how they came about. If there's a good reason for it to be there, then you should abide by it. If it's a silly part of culture, it's good to keep it in mind that you don't act upon it out of nature or consideration, but the paradigm of your time.

My Mom and I argued over handshakes the other day. I hate handshakes. I have some sort of arthritis and everytime someone squeezes my hand too firmly, I experience pain and feel like a wuss even though it's a perfectly valid medical condition. Apart from that I just don't like contact with other people. It's not that I mean someone disrespect, I just don't like shaking hands. My Mom is a firm believer that you can tell a lot about a person by shaking their hand. I think it's just as preconceived of a notion as what kind of clothes they wear. Actions make a person. Beliefs and thoughts make a person. Not how they shake your hand.

Let's do the time warp again!
11-18-2006 09:47 AM
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

Quote:I hate handshakes. I have some sort of arthritis and everytime someone squeezes my hand too firmly, I experience pain and feel like a wuss even though it's a perfectly valid medical condition.
You should give people a good ol' namaste.
11-18-2006 01:40 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)
Everything is restricted

An example I can think of is, it being decided for us what words or images are considered "bad" enough to warrant censoring them. Kids shouldn't be protected from images of tits or hearing the word "fuck". If anything should be censored, it's images of extreme violence which are almost never censored. Violence is okay, but certain words AND THE HUMAN FUCKING BODY are not.

Really not the best example ever pertaining to what we're talking about, but it's something I feel strongly about.

No, this is Patrick.
03-03-2014 11:09 PM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)
Everything is restricted

Most forums have a restriction on bumping old threads. Is that an example of oppression?

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
03-04-2014 12:34 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

RE: Everything is restricted

It's an interesting topic, I see no reason to complain about bumping in this case.

Hidden stuff:
03-04-2014 01:19 AM
craxyguy562 Offline
Pariah

Given 133 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

(11-18-2006 09:47 AM)Happy Camper Wrote:  
Quote:Man cannot live freely without embracing suicide and crime. [Murder by Numbers]

I've always loved that quote. It creates a conflict feeling in my gut but I think it's completely true and relevent to the topic. No, not all restrictions are wrong. But it is interesting to analyze them from a skeptical point of view to understand why and how they came about. If there's a good reason for it to be there, then you should abide by it. If it's a silly part of culture, it's good to keep it in mind that you don't act upon it out of nature or consideration, but the paradigm of your time.

My Mom and I argued over handshakes the other day. I hate handshakes. I have some sort of arthritis and everytime someone squeezes my hand too firmly, I experience pain and feel like a wuss even though it's a perfectly valid medical condition. Apart from that I just don't like contact with other people. It's not that I mean someone disrespect, I just don't like shaking hands. My Mom is a firm believer that you can tell a lot about a person by shaking their hand. I think it's just as preconceived of a notion as what kind of clothes they wear. Actions make a person. Beliefs and thoughts make a person. Not how they shake your hand.

My clothes don't define who I am, i just where random clothes.

[Image: gUJMoO7.png]

Hidden stuff:
Homework brings the hell of school home.

Gwedin Wrote:  Dat feel when you get home, realise it's Friday, and itch your buttcrack.
03-04-2014 04:30 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

I wear clothes to create a definition. Depends on the situation and what I hope to achieve.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
03-04-2014 04:58 AM
craxyguy562 Offline
Pariah

Given 133 thank(s) in 97 post(s)
Everything is restricted

I can't really control what I wear. What I would like to wear is almost never available to me.

[Image: gUJMoO7.png]

Hidden stuff:
Homework brings the hell of school home.

Gwedin Wrote:  Dat feel when you get home, realise it's Friday, and itch your buttcrack.
03-04-2014 08:52 AM
Potato Offline
Pariah

Given 64 thank(s) in 50 post(s)
Everything is restricted

Quote:and love gets restricted by being put into relationships with expectations and jealousy to control it.

it's interesting that normal people go crazy when their partner cheats, because cheating is something that doesn't directly hurt anyone, so the reason for why people respond the way they do seems to be based on the evolutionary instinct for the male make sure that it's his genes that get passed on with his partner's child, and for the female to make sure that her partner is devoting all of his resources towards her and her child. most people seem to consider it a reasonable reaction to go crazy after finding out your partner's cheating, but it's always seemed strange to me

"I never said half the shit people say i did." -Albert Einstein

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail, there is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers. That is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."-Stephen Hawking

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
03-04-2014 10:10 PM