RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sluggishly progressing schizophrenia
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Sluggishly progressing schizophrenia

What does this remind you of?

Quote:Sluggishly progressing schizophrenia was a fifth category of schizophrenia diagnosed by psychiatrists in the Soviet Union. At the time, Western psychiatry recognized only four types of schizophrenia: Catatonic, hebephrenic, paranoid, and simple. The diagnostic criteria for this additional category were so vague that it could be applicable to virtually any person not suffering from mental function impairment and having interests beyond survival needs. This diagnosis was often applied to dissidents who were not in fact mentally ill so that they could be forcibly hospitalized in mental institutions and subjected to different treatments including powerful anti-depressants and electroconvulsive therapy.

The existence of this diagnosis has led to questions on the part of supporters of anti-psychiatry about the existence of schizophrenia in general; whether it is diagnosed properly, and about political misuses of the schizophrenia diagnosis in the West.

Note that modern psychiatry now does contain a fifth category; undifferentiated schizophrenia. This is similar to sluggishly progressing schizophrenia only in that it serves as a catch-all categorization for any schizophrenic person who does not easily fit into the other forms. It does, however, require psychotic symptoms to be present for a diagnosis.

Suspicious Rolleyes

Found it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sluggishly ... izophrenia

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
11-24-2006 03:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

It reminds me of all attempts to degrade others by science. True, children and teenagers are not fully developed. But that is no reason to degrade us and call us nonpersons. We are forced into school by adults, not because we are young, but because they are "older, wiser, and better" than the young.
11-25-2006 01:44 PM
Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

It reminded me of kids getting diagnosed with ADHD and ODD and whatever else, and being put on Ritalin just because people don't know how else to "handle" them. Suspicious Tapedshut

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
11-26-2006 08:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

I agree with you SoulRiser. Through psychology we have seen that ADHD is not just being hyperactive and unable to concentrate, it's a mental problem. But as you said SoulRiser, some teachers get students to take Ritalin, even if they don't have ADHD, just because of the teacher's inability to handle them.

The opposite of diagnosing improperly also happens. A "bad" teenager may have ADHD but the teacher either ignores it or does not know that the person has it. The same can happen with a person that has asthma. There are some gym teachers who would refuse to take asthma as an "excuse" for not doing well in class. Doing this harms the person because they cannot control what they are doing but are still being punished for it.
11-26-2006 09:24 AM
Quote this message in a reply
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

Yeah, diagnoses do go two ways. I meet the criteria for "predominantly inattentive" ADD (meaning no hyperactivity), but I was never diagnosed with that or anything at school, despite having atrocious grades and participation through junior high and high school. People who meet these criteria are usually really quiet, and so teachers never bother to look into it. But the loud, hyperactive, or oppositional students pose a disturbance to the class, and often drugs get prescribed just to "manage" them. In both cases, what should matter most is the optimal mental functioning and learning of the student -- and their quality of life.

And then there are factors like temperament, learning styles, and personal preferences that are rarely given any serious consideration by teachers or psychiatrists. This partly because teachers are stuck teaching to a mixed group with little if any one-on-one time with them as individuals. And with psychiatrists, they are trained to think purely in terms of disorders and usually medication, leaving any other approaches to some other professional.

At least differences in ability get some consideration, but this is usually limited to some accelerated classes or maybe some "enrichment" sessions with logic puzzles. Differences in interest get virtually no consideration.

Okay, kinda off-topic rant over. Biggrin
11-26-2006 10:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply