RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dropping out of school
xXThe Damnation ProjectXx Offline
Fanatic

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

when i say helpin the neighborhood i meen like those neighborhoods where like kids are starving and shit

and if i get a good job main alot of money then like work for a couple of years et alot of money saved up and start helpin out people

and maybe it wont work fightin the government from the inside but anything to fix all the shit were going through as kids and adults because of the government and shit is worth it

Freya Stark - “There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do.”

[Image: untitled-4.jpg]
12-01-2006 10:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

I'm not saying you shouldn't try, it is a noble goal. I just don't think it would work well.
12-01-2006 10:24 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Fanatic

i really dont crae if it woulndt wokr WELL

as long as some people get helped out who really need it

alot of kids in the world are starving, suffering from diseases that people wont cure because the parents dont have enough money, or living on the streets

thats messed up

i just wanna help out

Freya Stark - “There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do.”

12-01-2006 10:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Then go for it!
12-01-2006 10:37 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

get a job with doctors without borders or some group like that. they go to all those really poor places and give out meds and vaccines, stuff like that. and they sent me free address labels! Biggrin

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
12-01-2006 11:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fanatic

Rebelnerd Wrote:get a job with doctors without borders or some group like that. they go to all those really poor places and give out meds and vaccines, stuff like that. and they sent me free address labels! Biggrin

yea i like those doctors who go out and help them and stuff

i dont like those fucks who say that well since you dont have enough money we cant help you

thats like askin a pregnant poor woman to come up with a 1000 dollars for them to give birth to there child

12-01-2006 12:45 PM
thoughtmaker Offline
Pariah

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

yeah that's pretty gay. But there isn't really anything doctors can do. They need money to help patients so it is out of their hands. Canada has free medical care, but (and i'm not an expert) i believe that also presents problems.
12-01-2006 03:07 PM
Fanatic

thoughtmaker Wrote:yeah that's pretty gay. But there isn't really anything doctors can do. They need money to help patients so it is out of their hands. Canada has free medical care, but (and i'm not an expert) i believe that also presents problems.

how would that present problems

everyone that needs help gets it like they desereve

and if the doctors dont like the pay or someting then maybe they shouldnt be doctors

12-01-2006 08:33 PM
Deruku Offline
Rebel

you cannot really fight the goverment from the inside

but you can maybe set up a political party and let it be voteable. i will try that so i can change things and some teachers do support me with it because some of them know me good and know i have a change. but sowell just do what you wish

it is how you live not how long you live
12-02-2006 02:10 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

AAAAAAAAHH! pleeeeese don't be like Ralph Nader, with that Bush-helping, vote-wasting third party crap!

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
12-02-2006 05:48 AM
Unregistered

Go out and help the neighbourhood, don't get sucked into politics. All politics does is waste time that should be used to give power back to the people.
12-02-2006 06:46 AM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Agreed. While I don't mean to make community service and reach-out programs my main career, I definitely plan to have it as a sideline. Although I have thought about being a psychiatrist.

Let's do the time warp again!
12-02-2006 06:54 AM
Fanatic

well im not goin to just start out as a community helper ima start like witha job and comtinue on for a while and help as much as possible while still taking care of my needs and my familys needs

12-02-2006 07:04 AM
thoughtmaker Offline
Pariah

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

Quote:how would that present problems

everyone that needs help gets it like they desereve

and if the doctors dont like the pay or someting then maybe they shouldnt be doctors

Like i said, i'm expert on the matter, ut from my understanding, the problem is that because so many people get medical attention, it also takes a lot longer for those people to get that help they need.
12-02-2006 11:13 AM
Fanatic

no not even that dudeman

im syain all these people are dyin and we arnt doin shit to fuckin help them

and im sick of it

12-02-2006 12:13 PM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

The main problem is actually that hospitals and those with a career in medicine don't make much money when it's universal. A lack of money makes for limited room, machinery, and services. Like my Dad happened to do all of his chemo treatment and transplants in the Detroit hospital and I remember my Mom saying that a lot of people had to come over from Canada to use some of the more advanced equipment. Chances are if they didn't live so close to the border, people seeking really serious or rare treatments might just end up "lucking out". [Not to make Canada sound bad or anything...]

I'm actually for universal healthcare. I believe it's a right, not a privelage. But there are reasons people think up to not provide it.

Let's do the time warp again!
12-02-2006 05:17 PM
Fanatic

well maybe some way they could take like 2 doctors out of every hospital and help

just saying random thoughts

i meen there has to be more than at least 2 hospitals in every state right?

so if we take like 2 out of every hospital (that want to go and help) then we'll have more than enough help and maybe it could make a difference

12-03-2006 03:35 AM
Unregistered

This is what happened in Catalonia when medicine was socialized and anarchized during the Spanish Revolution.

Quote:Distributed throughout Catalonia were twenty-seven towns with a total of thirty-sex health centres conducting services so thoroughly that every village, every hamlet, every isolated peasant in the mountains, every woman, every child, anywhere, received adequate, up-to-date medical care. In each of the nine zones there was a central syndicate and a Control Committee located in Barcelona. Every department was autonomous within its own sphere. But this autonomy was not synonymous with isolation. The Central Committee in Barcelona, chosen by all the sections, met once a week with one delegate from each section to deal with common problems and to implement the general plan.
12-03-2006 06:39 AM
Fanatic

thats what we need to be doing

all over the world

depending how big the state and or town is

12-03-2006 02:38 PM
Unregistered

We need to, but governments and business would not allow it. To do it we would have to smash the state and kill capitalism.
12-03-2006 02:43 PM
Fanatic

oh

seems like a good idea though

12-03-2006 02:45 PM
interiordesignr Offline
Defiant

Re: dropping out of school

Although I do understand that if you're doing something that you don't like, then move on to what interests you the most and just go for it, let's face it - you'll have to do a lot of crappier things when you grow up because action becomes a necessity. At such an early age, it is vital that students understand the value of character and perseverance in which they will be forced to do things they hate doing. Again, I do respect the decision of people skipping schools, but think about it, if you quit here because you don't feel happy anymore, what happens when you encounter things that don't make you happy in the future? I guess what I'm saying is that you should only skip school because you have a concrete and full-proof plan of what to do with your life.
11-23-2009 05:37 PM
NowhereWoman Offline
Pariah

Given 11 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Thoughtmaker:
I fully support your idea of dropping out.
However, I think you need more time to think about it, and you need to do more research.

Order a copy of the Teenage Liberation Handbook and read it.

If you can, find some books by John Holt, and read them.

Look up unschooling, homeschooling, charter schools, and see what's available in your area, what you'd like to do, and what you'd be able to do.

Think about what would make you most happy, and what you'd do with the freedom you'd have out of school.

Cultivate your interests.

Really, the biggest thing in my opinion is to order a copy of The Teenage Liberation Handbook.
It explains unschooling/free learning very well as well as explaining many ways to get out of school or at least lessen the burden.

Best of luck. Biggrin

An it Harm None, Do What Ye Will
An it Harm, Do Only What Ye Must

Lighten up! This life was made for experimenting, making mistakes, falling on our faces, and standing up to do it all over again.
Live for Learning.

Carla Franklin may be a whore. She may be a wonderful, kind, moral woman. Seeing as I don't know her personally, I cannot know for sure. However, I find her actions (suing Google, requesting the personal info of her critics, getting angry over random internet idiocy that she should ignore and be bigger than, trying to get this site in trouble because of a few users' commentary on the situation, etc.) pretty ridiculous and unwarranted. If she didn't want people to to be talking about/judging her, well 1. that's impossible, she's a human, and 2. she shouldn't have been a model or agreed to be on film. AND 3. she DEFINITELY shouldn't have sued Google and made all this fuss over a few random idiots whom she probably won't ever know expressing their opinion. Mmkay? MMKAY.
11-23-2009 06:21 PM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

interiordesignr Wrote:Although I do understand that if you're doing something that you don't like, then move on to what interests you the most and just go for it, let's face it - you'll have to do a lot of crappier things when you grow up because action becomes a necessity. At such an early age, it is vital that students understand the value of character and perseverance in which they will be forced to do things they hate doing. Again, I do respect the decision of people skipping schools, but think about it, if you quit here because you don't feel happy anymore, what happens when you encounter things that don't make you happy in the future? I guess what I'm saying is that you should only skip school because you have a concrete and full-proof plan of what to do with your life.

You're Mono's second account for the evening?

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
11-24-2009 04:49 AM
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

Given 11 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

Woo! more trolls.

Anything that ever happened or will... one condition, it has to be amazing.

I gave her wings but she don't wanna fly no more.

I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
Ooo, I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time
11-24-2009 04:54 AM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Loxor Wrote:Woo! more trolls.
Why the hell do they all come when I'm away from the forums for little more than a day? o.0.o.0.o.0
11-24-2009 07:54 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Considering dropping out of school. Dead 26 7,296 07-04-2015 09:08 PM
Last Post: xcriteria
Bug how can parents explain to the school that they support their kid in 'dropping out'? eerie138 16 8,954 01-21-2015 11:47 AM
Last Post: eerie138
Bug Age Restriction For Dropping Out Of High School Xicotc 12 7,468 09-27-2013 04:38 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  dropping out of school thoughtmaker 14 2,853 11-26-2007 03:56 PM
Last Post: Ahab