RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what is this called?
thoughtmaker Offline
Pariah

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)
what is this called?

I am reading a e-book called Evasion. here is a description from wikipedia.

Evasion is a book that spun off from a zine of the same name. It catalogs the travels and exploits of a straight-edge vegan young man who decided to not get a job or go to school after high school, despite his parents' wishes. Deciding that his life, freedom, and time were too valuable to be wasted working in a job he would despise, to build profits for a company, he stepped outside of the confines of a traditional role in society. Hitching rides, hopping trains, dumpstering, squatting, shoplifting, contriving receipt scams, he defines for himself what life should be about. The lack of oversight and security of big business play a paramount role in his quest to never ever work again. The book was published by CrimethInc in 2001 and the author remains nameless. The author later wrote a column in the zine heartattaCk. He is referred to as "Mac", "the Evasion Kid", or "Mac Evasion."

". . . then life began, and since then we remember each dumpster, abandoned house, and foot-chase by retail security. At night, after running around, plotting and scheming, our checklist items all crossed out, we paused to think — 'What to do tomorrow?' and the answer was always, 'As we please . . .'"

Does anyone know if there is a term used for this way of life? i want to research into because it sounds interesting to me. for those who don't know what i'm talking about you can get the book free on google if you search for a second. Thanks! Biggrin
12-03-2006 01:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

Punknik?
Highway chile?
12-03-2006 01:20 PM
Quote this message in a reply