RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Punk.
modest mouse Offline
Fanatic

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
Punk.

Ok, so this was obviously copied from Wikipedia, but just read it anyway.

======

Punk rock is an anti-establishment rock music genre and movement that emerged in the 1970s. While the genre had been preceded by various forms of protopunk music from the 1960s and the early 1970s, the genre's immediate origins lie in a number of artists that emerged from the United Kingdom,the United States, and Australia, between 1974 and 1975 — as exemplified by bands such as the Ramones, Sex Pistols, The Damned, and The Clash.

Punk rock rejected many of the perceived excesses of 1970s rock music and placed emphasis on music that was fast, short in duration, and simple — often accompanied by a political or social outlook. The associated punk subculture involves youthful aggression, specific clothing styles, ideologies, and a DIY (do it yourself) attitude.

Punk rock became a major phenomenon in the United Kingdom during the late 1970s, but its popularity was more sporadic elsewhere. Over the course of the 1980s, various forms of punk rock emerged in small scenes around the world, often outright rejecting commercial success or association with mainstream culture. By the end of the 20th century, punk rock's legacy had resulted in the formation of the alternative rock movement, while new punk bands popularized the genre decades after its initial heyday.

Punk bands often emulate the bare musical structures and arrangements of 1960s garage rock bands. This emphasis on accessibility exemplified punk's DIY aesthetic, and contrasted with the ostentatious musicianship of many of the mainstream rock bands popular in the years before the advent of punk. In 1976, the English punk fanzine Sideburns included drawings (later reproduced in Sniffin' Glue) of three chords, captioned: "This is a chord, this is another, this is a third. Now form a band". Typical punk instrumentation includes a drum kit, one or two electric guitars, an electric bass and vocals. Drums typically sound heavy and dry, and often have a minimal set-up — with a snare drum, one mounted or standing tom, one floor tom, one bass drum, hi-hats, one or two crash cymbals and a ride cymbal.

In the early days of punk rock, musical virtuosity was often looked on with suspicion. According to Punk Magazine founder John Holmstrom, punk was "rock and roll by people who didn't have very much skills as musicians but still felt the need to express themselves through music".[13] Complicated guitar solos were considered self-indulgent and unnecessary, although basic guitar breaks were still common.[14] Bass guitar lines are often basic and used to carry the song's melody, although some punk bass players such as Mike Watt put greater emphasis on more technical bass parts. Guitar parts tend to include highly-distorted power chords, although some bands take a surf rock approach with lighter, "twangier" guitar tones. Production is minimalistic, with tracks sometimes laid down on home tape recorders. Punk vocals sometimes sound nasal, and are often shouted instead of sung in a conventional sense.

Punk songs are normally around two to two and a half minutes long, though many last for less than a minute. Most early punk songs retained a traditional rock & roll verse-chorus form and 4/4 time signature, however second wave punk bands, including bands from both the post-punk and hardcore sub-genres, often sought to break from that format. "The Sex Pistols were still rock'n'roll", remembers US aurthor Steven Blush, "they were like the craziest version of Chuck Berry. Hardcore was a radical departure from that. It wasn't verse-chorus rock. It dispelled any notion of what songwriting is supposed to be. It's its own form. In hardcore punk the drumming is considerably faster, with lyrics often half shouted over monochrome guitars.

By the mid-1970s, punk lyrics began to involve confrontational frankness and commentaries on social and political issues.[17][18] Songs such as The Clash's "Career Opportunities" and "London's Burning" and Chelsea's "Right to Work", dealt with unemployment, boredom, and other grim realities of urban life. The Sex Pistols songs "God Save the Queen" and "Anarchy in the U.K." were openly disparaging of the British political system. Others were violent or anti-romantic in depictions of sex and love, such as The Voidoids' "Love Comes in Spurts".

The phrase punk rock (from punk, meaning a hoodlum or ruffian, or a worthless person)[20][21] was originally applied to the untutored guitar-and-vocals-based rock of United States bands of the mid-1960s such as The Standells, The Sonics, and The Seeds—bands that are now often categorized as garage rock.

The term punk rock was coined by rock critic Dave Marsh, during a live review of ? and the Mysterians for a 1970 issue of Creem magazine, and was adopted by many rock music journalists in the early 1970s. In the liner notes of the 1972 anthology album Nuggets, Lenny Kaye uses the term punk-rock to refer to the 1960s garage rock bands, as well as some of the darker and more primitive practitioners of 1960s psychedelic rock. Shortly after he wrote those notes, Kaye formed a band with avant-garde poet Patti Smith. Smith's group, and her first album, Horses (released 1975), directly inspired many of the mid-1970s punk rockers. The term punk was later used outside of the original connotation in a magazine of the same name created by Legs McNeil, John Holmstrom and Ged Dunn, and dedicated to The Dictators, The Stooges, New York Dolls, TV reruns and beer. The magazine helped shift the meaning of the word from garage rock to denote the emerging scenes in New York, Boston, and London.

Punk rock was influenced by the attitude, aggression, and political confrontation of artists such as The Who, the Rolling Stones, Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, The Velvet Underground, Alice Cooper, The Stooges, the MC5, The Deviants, and the New York Dolls. Other influences include the English pub rock scene, and British glam rock and art rock acts of the early 1970s, including David Bowie, Gary Glitter and Roxy Music. Early punk rock often displays influences from other musical genres, including ska, funk, and rockabilly.

Punk rock served as a reaction against 1970s popular music forms including disco music, heavy metal, and progressive rock. Punk also rejected the remnants of the 1960s hippie counterculture. Sex Pistols manager Malcolm McLaren recalled feeling "punk rock had to come along because the rock scene had become so tame that bands like Billy Joel and Simon and Garfunkel were being called rock and roll, when to me and other fans, rock and roll meant this wild and rebellious music." The cultural critiques and strategies for revolutionary action of the European Situationist movement of the 1950s and 1960s influenced the vanguard of the British punk movement, particularly members of the Sex Pistols clique. McLaren consciously embraced situationist ideas, which are also reflected in the clothing – designed for the band by Vivienne Westwood – and in the band's promotional artwork, much of it designed by the Situationist-affiliated Jamie Reid.

The British punk movement may have drawn upon the do-it-yourself attitude of the Skiffle music craze that emerged amid the post-World War II austerity in Britain. Punk rock in Britain coincided with the end of post-war consensus politics which preceded the rise of Thatcherism, leading to many British punk bands expressing an angry attitude based on social alienation.

"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees through narrow chinks of his cavern."
01-01-2007 06:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

Quote:Punk rock is an anti-establishment rock music genre and movement that emerged in the 1970s. While the genre had been preceded by various forms of protopunk music from the 1960s and the early 1970s, the genre's immediate origins lie in a number of artists that emerged from the United Kingdom, the United States, and Australia, between 1974 and 1975 — as exemplified by bands such as the Ramones, Sex Pistols, The Damned, and The Clash.
I believe that we can also credit them with the slaughtering of punk in the 70's. As said by Crass:

CRASS

"Punk Is Dead"

Yes that's right, punk is dead,
It's just another cheap product for the consumers head.
Bubblegum rock on plastic transistors,
Schoolboy sedition backed by big time promoters.
CBS promote the Clash,
But it ain't for revolution, it's just for cash.
Punk became a fashion just like hippy used to be
And it ain't got a thing to do with you or me.

Movements are systems and systems kill.
Movements are expressions of the public will.
Punk became a movement cos we all felt lost,
But the leaders sold out and now we all pay the cost.
Punk narcissism was social napalm,
Steve Jones started doing real harm.
Preaching revolution, anarchy and change
As he sucked from the system that had given him his name.

Well I'm tired of staring through shit stained glass,
Tired of staring up a superstars arse,
I've got an arse and crap and a name,
I'm just waiting for my fifteen minutes fame.
Steve Jones you're napalm,
If you're so pretty (vacant) why do you swarm?
Patti Smith you're napalm,
You write with your hand but it's Rimbaud's arm.

And me, yes I, do I want to burn?
Is there something I can learn?
Do I need a business man to promote my angle?
Can I resist the carrots that fame and fortune dangle?
I see the velvet zippies in their bondage gear,
The social elite with safety-pins in their ear,
I watch and understand that it don't mean a thing,
The scorpions might attack, but the systems stole the sting.

PUNK IS DEAD. PUNK IS DEAD. PUNK IS DEAD.

This came out in the late 70's. Then little Siddy died and there was a big uproar, and soon punk went back underground.
Don't worry, don't worry. Punk was reborn.... it just took like 10 years. Rolleyes
(It was still there.... moron. haha, just underground.... very very underground.)
Another thing that killed it was that all these morons invaded the scenes. I think John Doe or Billy Zoom (I for get which) from X said that after awhile of playing clubs the crowd got less intelligent and less intelligent. Take for example there song "Johnny hit and run Paulene" They stopped playing cause people would throw up their fists in the air when they sang the chorus. As if supporting the action of rape, even if the song was meant as an anti-rape song.
Quote:Punk rock became a major phenomenon in the United Kingdom during the late 1970s, but its popularity was more sporadic elsewhere.
Well.... it started there 'cause everyone was in poverty, living in shit holes and there was fuck to do for the kids. ....Actually I think that London is still the child poverty capital of the world. Tsk tsk. See what happens when you fuck over the lower class? They revoltuationize Evil
Quote:The phrase punk rock (from punk, meaning a hoodlum or ruffian, or a worthless person)[20][21] was originally applied to the untutored guitar-and-vocals-based rock of United States bands of the mid-1960s such as The Standells, The Sonics, and The Seeds—bands that are now often categorized as garage rock.
John Lydon always hated that name....
Quote:Punk rock served as a reaction against 1970s popular music forms including disco music, heavy metal, and progressive rock. Punk also rejected the remnants of the 1960s hippie counterculture. Sex Pistols manager Malcolm McLaren recalled feeling "punk rock had to come along because the rock scene had become so tame that bands like Billy Joel and Simon and Garfunkel were being called rock and roll, when to me and other fans, rock and roll meant this wild and rebellious music." The cultural critiques and strategies for revolutionary action of the European Situationist movement of the 1950s and 1960s influenced the vanguard of the British punk movement, particularly members of the Sex Pistols clique. McLaren consciously embraced situationist ideas, which are also reflected in the clothing – designed for the band by Vivienne Westwood – and in the band's promotional artwork, much of it designed by the Situationist-affiliated Jamie Reid.
Death By Stereo Wrote:no you cant, no you cant
you can not save you
no you cant, no you cant
you can not save you

its a death, the death of your kind
Hippie Holocaust, your blood is mine

AHHH!!!
dead boys Wrote:There aint nothin' to do
Gonna beat up the next hippie I see
Maybe I'll be beatin' up you
Look out, baby here I come
casualties Wrote:PunkRock.. This Is A Anti-Hippie Song! We Dont Like Hippies!

Punk has gone through changes
From spiky hair to long
Now anyone can say
They're into fucking punk

Kill a hippie
kill a crusty
Kill everyone
Hippies out, out of punk

Now all these fucking scumbags
They think they know it all
Their rules and ideas
Have made me fucking mad

Kill them!
Kill a hippie
kill a crusty
Kill everyone
Hippies out, out of punk

Don't give me Alternative
Don't give me MTV
We look it,live it and love it
We're in until death

Kill them!
Kill a hippie
kill a crusty
Kill everyone
Hippies Out Out Of Punk!
Get the fuck out you cunts..
Hippies out, out of punk

sniffing glue
drinking beer
don't give a fuck how the hippies feel
this is for you, joey
your memory fucking lives
your three chord wonders made in n.y.c
teen lobotomy
we're the pin heads
made in n.y.c. where the true punks live
fuck hippie Hendrix
fat Elvis in his grave
pet cemetery won't be your burying place!
HEY! I like crust..... oh well I always thought the Casualties were hypocritical fashion punks anyway :Flips the bird: Evil

Quote:NOFX

"Always Hate Hippies"

You are a hippie,
You smell like skunk,
I'm your arch-enemy,
A middle class punk.
Get out,
Get a life,
Get a job,
Everyone's smoking grass,
Everyone is an ass.
Can't you afford to cut your hair?
Cause Frank and I will cut it off for free.
Never trust a hippie,
They'll sell you bad drugs.'

'1-2-fuck off, drop out, never trust a fucking hippie
And for that matter don't trust anyone.
Quit school, don't work, livin' out the music de punk.
If I could do it so could anyone.'

'The next time I went to the whiskey, it was DOA with Millions of Dead Cops
The latter band played faster than I could believe
But the songs sounded the same and kinda sucked
'cept John Wayne was a Nazi, and Joey Shithead was a drunk
Then John Macias beat some hippie to a pulp, cuz having long hair was a mistake'
Hmmmm.... I wonder where they got THAT idea Rolleyes
I'd get more example, lots more. But I'm too lazy.

And for an extra note: Think of emo's as the hippies of this generation.
Quote:Punk vocals sometimes sound nasal, and are often shouted instead of sung in a conventional sense.
God I love that sound, add a british accent and I'm in heaven. Evillaugh
Quote:In the early days of punk rock, musical virtuosity was often looked on with suspicion. According to Punk Magazine founder John Holmstrom, punk was "rock and roll by people who didn't have very much skills as musicians but still felt the need to express themselves through music".[
Pfft, so? You don't need extremely intricate guitar chords just to sound good. I guess that you could consider that a good and bad thing.

Ok, I'd make this better but I;m still really fucking tired and thats all I can do from memory.

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
01-01-2007 09:56 AM
modest mouse Offline
Fanatic

Hey freak, you're welcome to edit/add stuff to the original post....
You seem to know a lot more about early punk than me.

"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees through narrow chinks of his cavern."
01-01-2007 10:19 AM
R00t Offline
Pariah

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

So does Wikipedia.
01-01-2007 10:26 AM
modest mouse Offline
Fanatic

Oh....L-O-motherfucking-L

So..... -_-

Read the verry first line of the post...

01-01-2007 10:32 AM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Where the fuck is Doc?

02-06-2007 10:50 AM
habla Offline
Pariah

i've never listened to punk. any suggestions of awesome songs?

I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy every minute of it.
02-06-2007 12:43 PM
modest mouse Offline
Fanatic

Most of the stuff by the misfits...

02-06-2007 12:57 PM
habla Offline
Pariah

listneing atm. hmm this is punk? the guys voice sounds awesome. cant understand the lyrics, i'lll look them up later.

I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy every minute of it.
02-06-2007 01:00 PM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Punk/ska/ska-punk bands
Crass
GBH
Dead Boys
Conflict
Three The hard Way
Aus Rotten
Agent Orange
Social Distortion
Rancid
NoFX
MDC
Lars Frederiksen and the bastards
The Specials
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Cock Sparrer
Anti-Flag (mostly older stuff)
Casualties <Hypocritical fashion punks Yuck
Social Unrest
Misery ~I <3 the guitar....
Circle Jerks
Black flag
Sick Sick Sick
Motorhead (Its more Rock, but who the fuck cares?)
Germs
Nausea
X
Propagandha
Suicidal Tendencies
Dead Kennedys
Bad Religion (older stuff)
Exploited
Sham 69
Clit 45

Those bands differ on how punk they are, but w/e
They're the only ones I could think of on top of my head.

02-06-2007 01:09 PM
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

Good punk:

Anti-Nowhere League
Bad Brains
The Clash
Cock Sparrer
Dead Kennedys
The Ruts
Gallows
Discharge
Sex Pistols
06-23-2007 11:27 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Freak Offline
Fanatic

The only one of those I dn't know are The Anti-Nowhere League and The Gallows.

06-23-2007 03:01 PM
HerHipness Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

modest mouse Wrote:Most of the stuff by the misfits...

Amen to that Mohawk .

[Image: herhipnessditasig.gif]
sorry guys...a lot of crap has been going on. i'll be lurking from time to time, but not too much :(
07-25-2007 07:02 AM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

YAY! Reviving dead topics.
So... what do you listen to?

07-25-2007 08:39 AM
Chaotic_Punk Offline
Renegade

Punk will never die, people think its dead but it isn't. There is still old school punk bands out there, but they have been taken over by emo music.

School is practice for the future, practice makes perfect. Nobody’s perfect so why practice?
10-17-2007 01:31 AM
arthasmenethil Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Pinheid Wrote:Punk will never die, people think its dead but it isn't. There is still old school punk bands out there, but they have been taken over by emo music.

Yeah. What's with emo destroying punk? Metal, Punk, and hard rock are my favorite styles of music.

Hidden stuff:
The game...you lost! HAHAHAHA!!!!
10-17-2007 03:21 AM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Its not ruining it dumbass. its not connected to it in anyway, except people get confused with stereotypes.
And the stereotype will never ruin it, so emo's can;t ruin real punk.

10-17-2007 07:23 AM
modest mouse Offline
Fanatic

Freak-of-nature14 Wrote:Its not ruining it dumbass. its not connected to it in anyway, except people get confused with stereotypes.

Actually, emo stemmed from punk.
Just more like...punk on estrogen.

But the emo these days....
Oh man.

10-17-2007 08:18 AM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Yes, we know.

10-17-2007 08:20 AM
Albatross Offline
Pariah

i dont really see why everyone hates emo i dont listen to it or enjoy it but i would like to know everyones reason for trashing them
10-19-2007 12:02 PM
happy fool called Nigel Offline
Pariah

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Punk is still in existence, but in very small amounts.

They in the sea being burnt, they in the burnt ship drowned.

[Image: nigelsmex.jpg]
10-22-2007 11:47 AM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Well, do you mean bands that still play punk? Ummm.... no. They're just not mainstream. So they're hard to find.

10-22-2007 12:24 PM
cheesenomore Offline
Pariah

Given 3 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

*cough*melvins*chough*

[Image: cheesep00f.png]

[21:58] <CaptainAhab> im glad that one person realized korn were losers and turned his life to jesus
[21:58] <CaptainAhab> because jesus is at least cooler than fucking korn
10-23-2007 08:46 AM
Captain_Katiakicz Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 3 post(s)
Re: Punk.

Punk is my favorite genre of music.

Alkaline Trio
Bouncing Souls
Operation Cliff Clavin
Mr. T Experience
The Promise Ring
Leftover Crack

and more. I'm getting into the riot grrl stuff recently.

You can call me Ruki
Or Captain Ruki
Or Captain K. Ruki
Or Captain Katiakicz

Because you're young, there's advice from everyone
Although we're free, chains await for you and me...
09-11-2008 12:12 PM
VampyrMagick Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Biggrin Dead kennedys Biggrin ....heaps good
gotta love nazi punks fuck off and anarchy for sale Razz
meh emo started pretty much as a more mainstream version of punk , but they have kidna become more....girly, so yer its a girly mainstream version of punk lol
10-27-2008 01:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rocker guy Offline
Rebel

Re:

modest mouse Wrote:
Freak-of-nature14 Wrote:Its not ruining it dumbass. its not connected to it in anyway, except people get confused with stereotypes.

Actually, emo stemmed from punk.
Just more like...punk on estrogen.

But the emo these days....
Oh man.
i gots a friend that says emo and goth are the same thing. thats pretty fucked up
01-08-2009 04:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hanny Offline
Fanatic

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Gotta say the Clash are win.

[Image: 72eoaf.gif]
<Darthmat> I love the taste of meat in my mouth. Cory, I don't know how you live without it.
<Darthmat> "Forbidden meat tastes sweetest."

Penisometer
8======================================================================o
Conclusion: Still a penis.
01-08-2009 06:18 AM
rocker guy Offline
Rebel

Re:

Maxwell Wrote:i dont really see why everyone hates emo i dont listen to it or enjoy it but i would like to know everyones reason for trashing them
all they do is whine about how much their life sucks, how much they wanna die. And worst of all, all the singers, who are guys, sound like bitchy women.
01-09-2009 12:15 PM
the forgotten Offline
Pariah

-likes emo-
Riht, because 1/2 the bands listed here are pure unadulterated fail, we need some real punk rock here.
Me First and the Gimme Gimmes
Justin Sane
Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains
Wingnut Dishwasher's Union
Bad Religion
Aus Rotten
NOFX

NOW EMO
Ok, I like emo because it connects with punk culture, emo at concerts, if you go to a really good emo concert, the atmosphere is awesome, so much raw emotion. I'm not emo, I have picked up certain parts of the style, wristbands, skinny jeans etc.

Dance, when you're broken up.
Dance, if you've torn the bandage off.
Dance in the middle of the fighting.
Dance in your blood.
Dance, when you're perfectly free.
-- rumi --
01-12-2009 01:22 AM
Freeman Offline
Pariah

Black flag ftw.
03-09-2009 01:02 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Best punk rock cover songs? happy fool called Nigel 9 6,759 12-12-2011 05:36 PM
Last Post: LOON_ATTIC
  Punk is dead, but it doesn't have to be GrungeGestapo 3 1,658 10-03-2010 08:35 AM
Last Post: CrayolaColours
  Sandi Thom - I wish I was a punk rocker liq3 3 2,034 05-29-2008 05:46 AM
Last Post: fragile-esteem
  Nobody likes anything besides metal or punk or rock youvebeenthunderstruck 65 14,343 04-03-2008 04:41 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  My top punk bands happy fool called Nigel 17 4,026 03-04-2008 04:05 PM
Last Post: happy fool called Nigel
  Fast!....Loud!...Crazy!... PUNK!!!! happy fool called Nigel 12 3,083 01-26-2008 09:20 AM
Last Post: happy fool called Nigel
  Celtic Punk Albatross 4 2,023 12-10-2007 11:51 AM
Last Post: The One
  Know Your Punk Rock History Doc Johnson 5 1,787 10-08-2006 08:50 AM
Last Post: Freak