RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. Send me a message if you'd like to keep in touch with me & Steve.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goth. (music)
modest mouse Offline
Fanatic

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
Goth. (music)

The bands that began the gothic rock and death rock scene were limited in number, and included Bauhaus, Siouxsie & the Banshees, The Cure (more widely accepted as alternative), Southern Death Cult, Sex Gang Children, 45 Grave, UK Decay, The Virgin Prunes, Alien Sex Fiend and Christian Death. Joy Division, Dead Can Dance and Killing Joke have also been linked, but there is debate about this.

By the mid-eighties, the number of bands began proliferating and became increasingly popular, including The Sisters of Mercy, The Mission UK, Xmal Deutschland, The Bolshoi and Fields of the Nephilim. The nineties saw the further growth of eighties bands and emergence of many new bands. Factory Records, 4AD Records, and Beggars Banquet Records released much of this music in Europe, while Cleopatra Records amongst others released much of this music in the United States, where the subculture grew especially in New York, Los Angeles, & Orange County, California, with many nightclubs featuring "gothic/industrial" nights. The popularity of 4AD bands resulted in the creation of a similar US label called Projekt Records. This produces what is colloquially termed Ethereal Wave, a subgenre of Darkwave music.

By the mid-1990s, styles of music that were heard in venues that goths attended ranged from gothic rock, death rock, Industrial music, EBM, ambient, experimental, synthpop, shoegazing, punk rock, 1970s glam rock, indie rock, to 1980s dance music. This variety was a result of a need to maximize attendance from everyone across the alternative music scene, particularly in smaller towns, and due to the eclectic tastes of the members of the subculture; but it also signaled new shifts in attitude.

The other significant development of the nineties was the popularity of electronic dance bands such as VNV Nation, Apoptygma Berzerk and Covenant in the goth scene. The rise of what has been called cybergoth music and style, which has much in common with techno/synthpop and EBM, caused bitter divisions between its fans and those firmly attached to the analog and/or guitar based sound of gothic rock. Bands with a darkwave sound or those such as The Crüxshadows, which combine an electronic and gothic rock sound, appeal to both sides to some extent.

Recent years have seen a resurgence in the early positive punk and death rock sound, in reaction to the EBM, futurepop, and synthpop, which had taken over many goth clubs. Bands with an earlier goth sound like Cinema Strange, Bloody Dead And Sexy, Black Ice, and Antiworld are becoming very popular. Nights like Ghoul School and Release The Bats promote death rock heavily, and the Drop Dead Festival brings in death rock fans from all over the world.

Today, the goth music scene thrives most actively in Western Europe, especially Germany, with large festivals such as Wave-Gotik-Treffen, Zillo (which ceased to be active after 2004), M'era Luna and others draw tens of thousands of fans from all over the world. Although, the U.S. has seen it's fair share of large scale events, most recently, Chamber's Dark Art & Music Festival, which was a 3 day festival spread out in the New York metro area and featured Covenant, KMFDM, Snog, Rotersand, Hanzle und Gretyl, and Bella Morte.

"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees through narrow chinks of his cavern."
01-01-2007 06:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
modest mouse Offline
Fanatic

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
Re: Re:

Legion Wrote:
B.A.T. Wrote:I was talking about the posers that spike their hair/ dye it black and act depressed

Emo. They're called Emo.

No, they're called "confused"

"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees through narrow chinks of his cavern."
04-16-2008 12:29 PM
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 11 post(s)
Re: Goth. (music)

Eh....Not entirely sure if you can classify them as Goth, but I like The Birthday Massacre and Angelspit. Check em out.
04-18-2008 11:30 AM
NiteRaidah Offline
hmmm

Given 44 thank(s) in 31 post(s)

As far as goth goes (judging from Wikipedia), I sometimes like the Cure, Siouxsie, & The Cult, though what I like from them can't be considered goth.

"All these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-Prince

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
04-19-2008 02:55 AM
Selene_Ger Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

ATXTheKiller Wrote:Eh....Not entirely sure if you can classify them as Goth, but I like The Birthday Massacre and Angelspit. Check em out.

The majority of the electro/industrial goth scene says they are, but who cares? They really do some great music, that's the most important thing.
But if you go music-type, my computer and CD cupboard is full of it. I'm even heading for the Amphi Festival or M'era Luna Festival this year... XD I can't wait!!!

~If you are going through hell, keep going.
~You found God? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours!
~Blood is thicker than water, and much tastier.
~The greatest harm can result from the best intentions.
~Let the world know you as you are, not as you think you should be.
~First defense against evil - Open your damn eyes.
~The darkness that surrounds us cannot hurt us. It is the darkness in your own heart you should fear.
~Mad: Affected with a high degree of intellectual independence.
04-23-2008 12:15 AM
Captain_Katiakicz Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

I like some Siouxsie & the Banshees

Selene_Ger Wrote:Now my question would be: Why the hell does everyone hate Emos?
I'm not one, if you think that now. I just don't identify with the way of thinking. I'm just asking... well because, look at my signature, I think that answers quite a lot.
http://www.freewebs.com/youdontknowemo/index.htm
http://www.fourfa.com
To answer your question, I don't hate them really. I just hate this fad that helps people become misinformed on the actual genre (much like goth is). It's been around since the 1980s

You can call me Ruki
Or Captain Ruki
Or Captain K. Ruki
Or Captain Katiakicz

Because you're young, there's advice from everyone
Although we're free, chains await for you and me...
09-22-2008 01:33 PM
VampyrMagick Offline
Rebel

THE CURE!!! robert smith is a fucking legend...
i like the cure (obvoiusly), london after midnight, Slayer, Psyclon nine, combichrist, vampyrouss etc.....yer i like a range though , everything from goth metal,death metal, screamo, terror-EBM/Aggrotech, ethereal wave, darkwave, futurepop, a few emo songs, gothic rock, punk rock, post punk, symphonic metal, gothic romance .......its all great!
10-22-2008 09:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hanny Offline
Fanatic

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

The Cure
Souixie etc. (sp?)
A but of Gary Numan is okay.
Any sort of 80s alt really, except for that weird song that talks about Nigel *shudder*

[Image: 72eoaf.gif]
<Darthmat> I love the taste of meat in my mouth. Cory, I don't know how you live without it.
<Darthmat> "Forbidden meat tastes sweetest."

Penisometer
8======================================================================o
Conclusion: Still a penis.
10-22-2008 09:11 PM
VampyrMagick Offline
Rebel

hey has any onbe on here heard vampyrouss? they are kinda. .gothic romance/ethereal wave/ambient/black metal ...sort of.....well ..they are different anyway ...no offence to the band members but they are kinda....try hard? ...but their music is damn good..
10-24-2008 08:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Paper Cuts Offline
Renegade

Great genre, i love The Cure, Souixsie and the Banshees, Rosetta Stone, Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, london After Midnight, Fields of the Nephilim, X-Mal Deustchlan, and Fields of the Nephilim especially

[Image: 177518.png]
11-03-2009 12:55 PM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

I agree: Gothic metal can be pretty great at times.
11-03-2009 12:59 PM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

Goth music is actually pretty awesome, and I'm not even goth.

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
06-01-2011 11:56 AM
Horrid Dreamer Offline
Raw fish person

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

gore goroth Wrote:Goth music is actually pretty awesome, and I'm not even goth.
^This

Is adult entertainment killing our children? or is killing our children entertaining our adults?
-Marilyn Manson
06-30-2011 06:27 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

I listened to Cemetery or something a while ago, and though they were pretty cool. Supposedly they're gothic death metal or something.

[Image: glorious666.png]
09-08-2011 12:27 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Looking for Summer Music Programs? Los Angeles College of Music,Once LAMA, Has Them! greendarts 2 1,587 02-06-2014 09:54 AM
Last Post: xcriteria
  Instrumental Music vs. Electronic Music Miller0700 1 1,967 11-08-2012 04:56 AM
Last Post: Heil_Kaiba8921