RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mom! Argh!
Blipo Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
My mom! Argh!

I've been at my parents for some time now, trying to convince them to let me homeschool myself. My reasons for homeschooling myself are many, but mainly they focus around the idea that the school system is flawed, and I desire to learn much, much more than is currently being taught. I argue that the system is holding me back and filling me with useless information.

And my parents argue back that school is essential to survive in life, that they went through it too, and I should just put up with it. And they tell me they don't think I'm responsible enough to do homeschooling.

However, they've told me they'll be willing to put me into an online schooling program - the school curriculum over the web. It's the exact same information, and requires that I submit all my work to a teacher via email before I can proceed to the next assignment. Even that they're not willing to put me into fully - they're only willing to "try a few courses for the year". Then maybe they'll try me in a few more courses if it works out. Even then, they tell me I need to achieve As or high Bs in all my courses.

So tell me, how do I persuade them to let me homeschool myself next year?
01-24-2007 02:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

well, what are your parents like?
01-24-2007 02:50 PM
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

Your parents are giving the same bonehead arguments that everybody does. Few people listen to minors because adults have experience and they supposedly wise and mature. I don't know your parents but I think that there is little chance of changing their opinions by argument.

What I recommend you do is homeschool yourself during the summer break. Learn and study things that would prove to your parents that you can learn better outside of school. Show them that school is a waste of time. Record what you learn and make charts that graphically illustrate the higher efficiency of homeschooling. Do something that would impress them, e.g. start to write a book, learn to cook proficiently, or .

Even better would be to get your GED during summer break, "Hah! I didn't even need to finish school."
01-24-2007 02:57 PM
Quote this message in a reply
WildFire Offline
Fanatic

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

if i were smart enought o respond, i would say that.

[Image: ninjawarrior.jpg]
01-24-2007 03:00 PM
Dark Soul X Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Whenever I tell my dad that I hate school, he just twists it and says I love it.

Spambot Kill Counter: 33
Spambot Kill Counter as Spambot Hell's Devil: Countless

Buying a high powered computer: 500 bucks
Getting gift wrap: 10 bucks maybe
Seeing the horror on that special someone's face once they tear off the gift wrap and see a Windows 98: Priceless.

[Image: Spawn_Classic.jpg]

I'll see you in Hell....AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
01-24-2007 04:06 PM
Cilaos Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

Omg how does your dad do that

I AM A THIEF IN THE NIGHT I WILL SAVE AS MANY AS I CAN

I KEEP THEM IN MY BASEMENT

I TELL THEM I AM THEIR MOMMY NOW
01-25-2007 01:00 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

probably the same old "oh you do not, you love seeing your friends. and you said (insert tolerable class) wasn't bad right? you just hate having to go to that building, you have it lucky. when you're older you'll see how wrong you are!"

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
01-25-2007 02:01 AM
Cilaos Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

i know what you mean
i always get the "if i could go back to school i would cus its so much easier than work" speech
the thing is you actually get paid for work so why the fuck complain
unless you have unfair hours and little pay and ur boss is an asshole
which isnt the case for my parents
at marks job he IS the boss
at moms shes friends with everybody
granmas she seems to get by
and gramps is handicapped and doesnt work
the only one who should complain is mark cus his employes sit around while he doesa most of the work and he works late *hes to nice to fire them* and then comes home to mom yelling at them and has to do most of the work around the house while mom sits on the computer and yells at him all the while hes takin care of the kids

and mom says she has it tough
she works 4 hour days on 4 days a week then gets online
mark works up to 12 hours on 6 days a week then does all that crap

I AM A THIEF IN THE NIGHT I WILL SAVE AS MANY AS I CAN

I KEEP THEM IN MY BASEMENT

I TELL THEM I AM THEIR MOMMY NOW
01-25-2007 03:10 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

yeah, its true. my dad says his job right now is the best and least stressful job he's ever had, and my mom always says she loves her job. and my grandpa always argues against me, but he hated working and retired as soon as he could and loves retirement. so why are they getting pissed at ME for not liking school?

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
01-25-2007 05:35 AM
Dark Soul X Offline
Fanatic

Rebelnerd Wrote:probably the same old "oh you do not, you love seeing your friends. and you said (insert tolerable class) wasn't bad right? you just hate having to go to that building, you have it lucky. when you're older you'll see how wrong you are!"
No he says "Oh you know you love it". And when it's snowing and it's colder thant bitter sweet fuck, he says "you go out there just to play in the snow". WTF is up with that bullshit?!?

Seeing the horror on that special someone's face once they tear off the gift wrap and see a Windows 98: Priceless.

01-25-2007 02:48 PM
Fanatic

rebelnerd: yes, but they've "earned it". and how do you "earn it"? by staying in school. Uhoh

wandering soul: he has little true respect for you, i'm afraid. likely ageism.
01-25-2007 03:03 PM
Dark Soul X Offline
Fanatic

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:wandering soul: he has little true respect for you, i'm afraid. likely ageism.
Shoulda fuckin known...

01-25-2007 03:04 PM
modest mouse Offline
Fanatic

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:wandering soul: he has little true respect for you, i'm afraid. likely ageism.

Oh yeah, ageism.

What? An adult ran over your cat?
Ageism!

"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees through narrow chinks of his cavern."
01-25-2007 09:54 PM
englishdude Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

My dad admits school is shit lol. Thats why I hate making a big fuss about how much I hate school, because my parents know I do and I don't wanna upset/worry them.

What is this website you are talking about, link please??

English

Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth and easy, or that anyone who embarks on the strange voyage can measure the tides and hurricanes he will encounter. The statesman who yields to war fever must realize that once the signal is given, he is no longer the master of policy but the slave of unforeseeable and uncontrollable events.
01-26-2007 02:58 AM
Fanatic

modest mouse: what's with the personal attack? it's very likely that in this case it IS ageism
01-26-2007 06:07 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Argh you can't be serious Stealth 0 944 01-29-2010 10:53 PM
Last Post: Stealth
  argh... returnal 7 2,696 02-23-2008 04:17 AM
Last Post: tock172
  argh Thanatos Charr Overlord 9 3,028 11-13-2007 01:05 PM
Last Post: cryptevah72
  ARGH!! Midnight Narwhal 47 6,876 10-04-2006 04:18 AM
Last Post: Freak