RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
I can has blog
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
I can has blog

Yesterday I shat a giant turd in the toilet. It flushed fine though.

Today I had rice and fried fish for breakfast with awesomesauce.

Need to get moar bread 'cause half the last batch got all mouldy and smells like alcohol.

I set my Facebook to Pirate English. It's much better that way.

I can't remember anything else notable happening lately.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
01-28-2011 01:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: zagix , Avatar Korra , The man
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Given 98 thank(s) in 67 post(s)
Re: I can has blog

I thought you were making a trollriser post, but then I saw the pirate themed facebook...and now I approve. I'm glad it flushed.

Some cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.
01-28-2011 02:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: The man
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Soul your day sounds very fascinating.

Do tell more. Smile

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
01-28-2011 04:16 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Okay.

This morning I jumped up and down until my legs hurt for no real reason other than for exercise.

I just ate breakfast cereal with rasperries and blueberries at like 12:14AM.

Now I'm going back to Just Cause 2.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
01-28-2011 08:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

So I maed R8002 in January just from Adsense... that's like... well, more than $1000. Over here in SA that makes people jealous muchly. Razz

It's 3am and I'm still awake and I will stay up until at least 10am... I like going for walks early in the morning when the sun's coming up and the only other people out and about are people who go for walks early in the morning.

And then I go back home just before all the morning traffic madness starts when all the poor wage slaves drive off to work. Laugh

And then I'll wait till the shops open and go and buy food.

And then I'll probably sleep.

Yeah, ok, I think this blogs subforum is actually a pretty cool idea. Thanks Vatman and other people who talked about it whose names I cannot remember right now. Smile

Hidden stuff:
02-02-2011 11:37 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

All browsers suck ass.

So I've been using Opera for the past few days because I got tired of Firefox lagging to shit and just blatantly not responding while loading pages full of huge amounts of Javascript/CSS/tables (basically all modern/fancypants sites).

Opera's been great. Super fast, super responsive, lets me drag my tab bar to the side, doesn't have a retarded password manager, basically can do everything I do in Firefox without needing ANY extensions whatsoever... except... well...

It crashes. You go anywhere NEAR Facebook and Opera chokes on a stick and kills itself violently. You even so much as DARE load a page that has one of those retarded Facebook 'like' buttons on it, KAMIKAZE TIEM!

Which was fine actually, because it restarted itself super fast and reloaded all the tabs I was busy with before.

Except last time. Last time it went and fucking lost ALL my settings. Bookmarks, preferences, everything.

Fuck you, Opera. Now I'm testing Firefox 4 Beta. As I type this, there's a slight delay before each letter actually appears in the box. Laugh

But it doesn't lag (as much as older versions) when loading pages. So far. Maybe it'll start doing that once I have 100 tabs open. We'll see. And pages don't load as super zippy fast as they did in Opera. FF4 lets me drag to resize the text box I'm typing in though. That's nifty.

So my official conclusion is: ALL BROWSERS SUCK ASS! There isn't a single one that does EVERYTHING I want.

Hidden stuff:
02-04-2011 03:22 PM
 Thanks given by: The man
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Given 23 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

You should try Lynx. :P

It's difficult to fuck up something like that. Very customizable, as well.

K
S
02-04-2011 03:30 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Text only? How does that work? Needs to actually be able to browse/post on forums and potentially load images if I ever want to. XD

Hidden stuff:
02-04-2011 03:33 PM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Typically it shows the alt text of the image or the filename, which you can select and it'll pop up in an outside image viewing application.

It should be able to handle the forums, but not very prettily. Not sure how it handles scripting languages.

K
S
02-04-2011 03:42 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

Fuck that. Lynx is a pain in the ass imho...

I use chrome. It's fast, and it hardly ever crashes. Although, I think there's a difference between "Chromium" and "chrome". I installed "Chromium" or whatever they call it, and it fucking sucked.

I can't stand clicking on a browser and waiting 10 seconds for it to start up, then going to a website and waiting another 10 seconds... Fuck that.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
02-04-2011 03:49 PM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Same. I switched to Chrome after FF kept crashing on me. Have relatively few complaints.

K
S
02-04-2011 03:55 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Yeah, Chrome is pretty fast and responsive and all that...

... but bloody hell it has no settings at all whatsoever. I haven't really looked for Chrome add-ons much, but I need to be able to block Javascript selectively as well as load images selectively. Those are absolute must-haves. Easy to do in Firefox and Opera. Also a huge time-saver is the ability to make those Submit buttons open in a new tab. Opera also SHOCKINGLY supports that all by itself. FF needs an extension. No clue about Chrome.

I really miss Opera. If it was stable it'd be the best browser in teh_whole_world! Sad

Hidden stuff:
02-04-2011 04:35 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

Chrome's extensions aren't that great. They are racing to catch up to the other browsers and making a ton of them, but so far they haven't really worked all that well for me. I haven't tried any javascript blocking extensions yet though...

The ones I have tried haven't worked that well. Some of them do, but some of them are shit. I usually switch over to Firefox whenever I have to go on a site with gratuitous amounts of ads.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
02-04-2011 04:39 PM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Agreed. Chrome plugins are a bitch to search for.

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/de ... dajjpkkcfn

Unfortunately image blocking is on a per-site basis. :(

K
S
02-04-2011 04:45 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

HALFRED CUNTDESTROYER Wrote:Agreed. Chrome plugins are a bitch to search for.

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/de ... dajjpkkcfn

Unfortunately image blocking is on a per-site basis. :(
Nice find thar. Yes

I guess I'll use multiple browsers for a while until I find one decent enough to make a commitment to. Giggle

Hidden stuff:
02-04-2011 06:51 PM
Pieman Offline
Pie Deity

Given 28 thank(s) in 23 post(s)

That's odd. Opera only crashes for me when I favourite a video on youtube, and that black playlist bar comes up. Otherwise, it's fine. Even on facebook pages.

" I never knew until that moment how bad it could hurt to lose something you never really had. " ~From the television show The Wonder Years
02-05-2011 05:45 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Well, I'm using OperaUSB now... previously I was using the one from PortableApps.com...

So I've been trying to get this one to crash. I failed miserably.

I had about 250 Facebook tabs open (by clicking random links, so they're all different). Opera was using 2.3GB of RAM... but stayed pretty responsive. And still stable. I guess I have to take back what I previously said... all the blame goes to whoever put the PortableApps version together. Actually it isn't the first time something I downloaded from there turned out to be unstable. Really nice concept, but they need to test moar... Razz

Just closed all those tabs, memory usage almost instantly went down to 600mb. Still a bit high for having almost nothing open. But who frigging cares, it's memory well-spent. Razz

Hidden stuff:
02-05-2011 08:15 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Bored... tired.... too half asleep to actually do anything. Don't wanna sleep just yet though. What do?

Hidden stuff:
02-05-2011 08:12 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

I just got me one of these:
http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/moni ... 4B5HVFH/ZA

liek, SS looks so... different. SOOO MUCH SPACE OMG

And I have another 17" LCD next to it. overkill much? Too bad my desk won't fit 2x 24" screens... Razz

Hidden stuff:
03-15-2011 11:28 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

OMFG... just signed up for a new hosting account, copied all SS files to it, set up all databases, everything just... magically... WORKS?! Wtf

THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE!!!!

THERE MUST BE TRICKERY INVOLVED!

Hidden stuff:
09-14-2011 10:03 AM
 Thanks given by: McGee! , 4r4b7
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

RE: I can has blog

So I went ice skating today... and had the most epic double crash... there was this little figure skater girl (figure skaters now officially scare the crap out of me, I am forever traumatized)... anyway, she just landed some trick and was headed straight for me... so I dodge right... she dodges right too... dammit... so I dodge left... and SO DOES SHE!!! ... aaaaaaahrhrhhghghg, I'm not sure if I hit her or what happened but I lost my balance totally and was like flailing and hopping around towards the boards, trying not to fall... and suddenly, another little girl appeared! Goingcrazy ... so I SOMEHOW manage to dodge her and go SPLAT into the boards... must have made a loud thump or something, 'cause the people standing nearby were all like "are you OK?!" ... I was all like... "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...... ow" ... fun. Razz

Hidden stuff:
09-29-2011 06:03 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Why am I so numb? I should FEEL something... anything... rage, sorrow, happiness, something... but not this blank numbness or whatever the hell it is... strangely peaceful, yet annoying at the same time. Like powerless surrender... but I don't want to surrender... but I know there's nothing I can do, either... so... WTF.

(Yeah, this is gonna stay vague, deal with it). Razz

Hidden stuff:
12-24-2011 11:03 PM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

Surrendering might be a good thing. It's an important part of Taoism. Interesting stuff.

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
12-25-2011 01:18 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Part of me wants to be a control freak, so it bugs me... but surrendering feels more peaceful when I can accept it... which isn't all the time.

But then all this surrendering makes me not really give a shit about the outcome of anything... which is... strange... and also bugs me as well...

I can liek to contradict myself. Biggrin

Hidden stuff:
12-25-2011 04:45 AM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

(12-25-2011 04:45 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  I can liek to contradict myself. Biggrin

Try going through existential crises every other night Razz

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
12-25-2011 04:50 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Yay for mindfucks!

Hidden stuff:
12-25-2011 04:56 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Long time no updates...

So I spent all day soaking, scrubbing, drying, re-lubing and re-assembling my rollerblade bearings. Fun. My back hurts and I never ever want to inhale so many chemicals in one day ever again...

Mike (my friend/roommate person) got a really nice bike. Scott Spark 50 (google that). Friggin awesome. About half the weight of my bike, and practically no effort at all to ride uphill. Me jealous. He should have no trouble at all keeping up with me on my rollerblades...

Hidden stuff:
[Image: 550145_10151161566464132_652324580_n.jpg]

The purple one at the back is mine.

Hidden stuff:
11-01-2012 07:40 AM
4r4b7 Away
im not banned

Given 16 thank(s) in 15 post(s)
I can has blog

Soul, are you a black south african?

Hidden stuff:

11-05-2012 03:36 AM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Given 63 thank(s) in 46 post(s)

(02-04-2011 03:22 PM)SoulRiser Wrote:  All browsers suck ass.

So I've been using Opera for the past few days because I got tired of Firefox lagging to shit and just blatantly not responding while loading pages full of huge amounts of Javascript/CSS/tables (basically all modern/fancypants sites).

Opera's been great. Super fast, super responsive, lets me drag my tab bar to the side, doesn't have a retarded password manager, basically can do everything I do in Firefox without needing ANY extensions whatsoever... except... well...

It crashes. You go anywhere NEAR Facebook and Opera chokes on a stick and kills itself violently. You even so much as DARE load a page that has one of those retarded Facebook 'like' buttons on it, KAMIKAZE TIEM!

Which was fine actually, because it restarted itself super fast and reloaded all the tabs I was busy with before.

Except last time. Last time it went and fucking lost ALL my settings. Bookmarks, preferences, everything.

Fuck you, Opera. Now I'm testing Firefox 4 Beta. As I type this, there's a slight delay before each letter actually appears in the box. Laugh

But it doesn't lag (as much as older versions) when loading pages. So far. Maybe it'll start doing that once I have 100 tabs open. We'll see. And pages don't load as super zippy fast as they did in Opera. FF4 lets me drag to resize the text box I'm typing in though. That's nifty.

So my official conclusion is: ALL BROWSERS SUCK ASS! There isn't a single one that does EVERYTHING I want.
Hipster-Five

Opera ftw.

(Yes I know that this is from 2011)

The purpose of life is a life with a purpose
So I’d rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless
I don’t need the circus or the day of national observance
I need you to think for you and stop being a servant
-Immortal Technique, The Martyr, The Martyr
11-05-2012 05:07 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

lol, still using Opera. Got it on my PC, laptop, and both my cellphones, all synced together. Win.

Quote:Soul, are you a black south african?
nope.

Hidden stuff:
11-05-2012 05:53 AM