RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
German Homeschooled Child Taken to Child Psychiatry Unit
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 11 post(s)
German Homeschooled Child Taken to Child Psychiatry Unit

I know it's been on the frontpage for a while, bu tthis shit seriously, honestly scares me.

It's like what goes on in my story...it's just creepy and frightening. Pretty soon, this may start become the norm for America as well. I mean, as I type this, I'm looking out my window to make sure an FBI or SWAT armored van pulls in front of my house with a "Truancy Enforcement Unit" coming. bursting into my house and taking me away from my home and my family. I may be paranoid...but I never expected this to happen

Yeah, it's in Germany, but that's a Major European country there, and the Homeschooling ban is in effect for the entire country, not just some parts of it.

I'm scared...
02-08-2007 02:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KittyKatBlack Offline
Resident Brony

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

You shouldn't be scared; I doubt they would do something like that here.
02-08-2007 03:38 AM
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

But shrinks in the US already label kids/teens who hate school as crazy frequently, not to mention the Gulags.
02-08-2007 03:59 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

The difference between Germany and the USA as far as I can tell, is just that the USA is a lot more subtle about their control. They give it nicer names and disguise it as "helping" kids. Germany doesn't seem to bother... well, I dunno, the official German news about these things probably gives some kind of "reasons" for it too.

Point is, the general idea is already pretty much everywhere. It is creepy, but being scared never solved anything...

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-08-2007 05:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

i agree. and Soul, i think the US is actually one of the countries most at risk for this. you should hear them, they're terrified of being overtaken by China or India economically and educationally. they call it the "education gap," there are politicions who want to do things like all year school, extending the school day, things like that. i think that if our rival countries get any more powerful, and they will, no doubt about that, they might seriously consider something like this german stuff. and where it goes from there, i don't even want to think about it. but we do need to think about it, and prepare.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
02-08-2007 05:44 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Rebelnerd Wrote:i think the US is actually one of the countries most at risk for this. you should hear them, they're terrified of being overtaken by China or India economically and educationally.

that reminds me... a news article i found earlier:
http://www.hslda.org/docs/news/hslda/200...402100.asp
though I must admit, that idea doesn't sound all that bad if all you want is to just get your diploma and get it all over with.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
02-08-2007 06:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lumarin Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Rebelnerd Wrote:...extending the school day...

I already got hit by this little bit, an extra 35 minutes, 20 at the beginning of school and 15 at the end, I'm waking up at 5:30 in the morning now, and my homework is slipping well into the night...I don't get enough sleep anymore. You'd expect them to give less homework if you're in class longer but noooooo.

They say that it's for expected snow days, but if you do the math it'll only take 2 weeks of this for one snow day, and we're doing this until the end of the school year(no exceptions)....what if we don't get any snow days? What will they do then?

Personally I like getting extra school days at the end of the school year rather than tacking on another half an hour each day, because that way, the extra time is expected and paid back(rather than adding time without knowing if you will actually have snow days).

Also, lunch was shortened by three minutes..(you'd expect them to add three minutes rather than take them away but....). Passing period has not changed one bit, except on the PLC days(block schedule...for wednesday and thursday only) where it was taken even more from lunch, but we get 10 minutes of glory in the halls.

So yeah, if something like that happens in the U.S...I'll be sorely dissapointed....meh.

Just my spare change,
Lumarin

02-08-2007 06:58 AM
Mom Offline
Renegade

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)
Re: German Homeschooled Child Taken to Child Psychiatry Unit

Toucanman Wrote:I know it's been on the frontpage for a while, bu tthis shit seriously, honestly scares me.

It's like what goes on in my story...it's just creepy and frightening. Pretty soon, this may start become the norm for America as well. I mean, as I type this, I'm looking out my window to make sure an FBI or SWAT armored van pulls in front of my house with a "Truancy Enforcement Unit" coming. bursting into my house and taking me away from my home and my family. I may be paranoid...but I never expected this to happen

Yeah, it's in Germany, but that's a Major European country there, and the Homeschooling ban is in effect for the entire country, not just some parts of it.

I'm scared...

Wednesday, February 7, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BRAVE NEW SCHOOLS
Campaign launched on behalf of German teen
Home-taught American students flooding embassy with concerns

Posted: February 7, 2007
1:00 a.m. Eastern

By Bob Unruh

© 2007 WorldNetDaily.com

Homeschool students and their families across America are being urged to flood the German embassy with e-mail, telephone calls and letters in support of a German teen who was taken by police to a psychiatric ward because she was being homeschooled.

WND reported late last week on that situation, when a German organization working in support of homeschooling, even though it's illegal in Germany, contacted the news site.

According to the new announcement, the Home School Legal Defense Association is urging its members to act.

"Many families who have had their children forcibly taken from their home each day and taken to government school have since fled Germany, but there are still some homeschoolers. The latest incident involves 17-year-old Melissa Busekros, the girl sent to the Nuremberg psychiatry unit. What is being done to this sensitive girl – just to set an example of enforcing the compulsory schooling at all costs – is reprehensible and causing trauma to unassuming and lovable Melissa," the group said.

(Story continues below)

And it's warning that "what is happening in Germany today may be knocking on our door tomorrow."

Currently, HSLDA is tracking the circumstances involving about 40 families in Germany with court cases in various stages – all because Germany still enforces a Hitler-created law banning homeschooling.

The American group, which was created in support of homeschoolers in the United States but since has made its presence known in support of homeschooling virtually around the globe, has posted updates about the Busekros' family situation on its website.

And it is suggesting two courses of action for homeschoolers and its supporters:

"First … call or e-mail the German Embassy and give them this message: 'We are shocked to hear of the Busekros' homeschooled daughter Melissa being removed from the custody of her parents and being placed in a child psychiatric unit. This is an outrage that hearkens back to the Nazi era. We cannot believe a free nation would put a homeschooled child in a psychiatric ward for 'school phobia.' The attack on the homeschool families throughout Germany must stop.'"

The HSLDA said the German Embassy can be reached at:

Dr. Klaus Scharioth, Ambassador, German Embassy
4645 Reservoir Road NW

Washington, DC, 20007-1998

(202) 298-4000

The embassy can be emailed from its website, the HSLDA said.

"Second, pray for the German situation. Only God can change the situation for homeschoolers in Germany. Attempts by German homeschoolers to organize or to change the laws through court continues to be lost, but with God all things are possible. We ask that you cry out for the German homeschool families," the HSLDA said.

In Germany, education officials already have warned that, when necessary, they will "bring the religious convictions of the family into line" with state requirements.

Officials say a team of nearly two dozen officials and uniformed police officers was assembled to physically remove the teen from her home in front of her shocked family last week.

The case was reported in a statement delivered to WND by Netzwerk-Bildungsfreiheit (Net-Education Freedom), an organization that works for homeschoolers' rights in Germany even though it is illegal there.

A spokesman for that group had contacted WND after the news website broke the story that a German government official had warned that families' religious beliefs will have to be brought into alignment with required school attendance laws.

The government at that time had responded to a parent concerned about children being forcibly placed in custody by police officers and then delivered to the mandatory public school system:

"In order to avoid this in future, the education authority is in conversation with the affected family in order to look for possibilities to bring the religious convictions of the family into line with the unalterable school attendance requirement," the government said.

Melissa Busekros was removed from her parents' custody and placed in the Child Psychiatry Unit of the Nuremberg clinic, her father, Hubert Busekros, told the homeschool group, in the state's "zealous drive to enforce compulsory schooling."

"The Netzwerk Bildungsfreiheit condemns this inconsiderate and totally incommensurate behaviour on the part of the officials involved and demands that they give Melissa her freedom and return her to her family immediately," the German homeschool group said.

The teen had fallen behind in Latin and math studies, and was being tutored at home in those subjects. When school officials found out they expelled her, then took the family to court when they began homeschooling.

The court order executed last week said, "The relevant Youth Welfare Office is hereby instructed and authorized to bring the child, if necessary by force, to a hearing and may obtain police support for this purpose."

Michael Farris, cofounder of the HSLDA, has called for an amendment to the U.S. Constitution to protect the right of parents to educate their children at home, in light of such developments in Europe.

One of his major concerns is that if the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, a plan already accepted as law by many nations around the globe, were ratified by the Senate or adopted by the federal courts as enforceable international law, American homeschooling could be banned.

The HSLDA said it has about 80,000 members and estimates there about 2 million children homeschooled in the United States each year, a total that is growing at a rate between 7 percent and 15 percent annually.

Homeschool students consistently score 20 to 30 percentile points higher on standardized achievement tests than their public school peers, and one-third of the parents cite the negative social environment of public schools as a reason for homeschooling. Another one-third cite moral and religious instruction and a smaller segment labels public schools as dissatisfactory.

As adults, they are significantly more involved, with studies showing that more than 74 percent of homeschooled graduates ages 18-24 voted in an election in the past 5 years. That compares to a token 29 percent of public schooled graduates.
02-08-2007 12:10 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

UPDATE:

Quote:HSLDA: Calls to the German Embassy are Having an Impact!

Dear HSLDA members and friends:

Earlier this week we shared with you what is happening to Melissa Busekros, the 17-year-old German girl who was forcibly removed from her parent's custody by more than 15 police officers and then placed in the child psychiatry unit of the Nuremburg clinic. The account can be read at http://www.hslda.org/elink.asp?id=3731 .

Thank you for answering the call! Many of you have responded and the German Embassy has received hundreds of calls and emails. In addition, homeschoolers in Canada have also responded and the German Embassy in Canada has also received hundreds of calls.

REQUESTED ACTION:

We continue to have an opportunity to help Melissa Busekros by doing three things.

1. The Busekros family has asked that letters be sent directly to Melissa at the psychiatry clinic. The address is:

Amina Melissa Zalona Busekros
Klinikum Nurnberg-Nord
Haus 48 B
Prof.-Ernst-Nathan-Str. 1
D.90419 Nurnberg
GERMANY

2. Contact the Minister of Justice in Bavaria:

Beate Merk
Prielmayerstr. 7
80335 Munchen
Tel. +49 89 5597 1799
Fax +49 89 5597 3580
Email: beate.merk@stmj.bayern.de

3. Continue calling or emailing the German Embassy and give him this message:

"We are shocked to hear of the Busekros' homeschooled daughter Melissa being removed from the custody of her parents and being placed in a child psychiatric unit. This is an outrage that hearkens back to the Nazi era. We cannot believe a free nation would put a homeschooled child in a psychiatric ward for 'school phobia.' The attack on the homeschool families throughout Germany must stop."

Dr. Klaus Scharioth
Ambassador
German Embassy
4645 Reservoir Road NW
Washington, DC, 20007-1998
(202) 298-4000

The embassy can be emailed from its website: http://www.hslda.org/elink.asp?id=3732

Hidden stuff:
02-10-2007 02:06 AM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

is that from amnesty? i love how they give you a sample message, it's hilarious...
02-11-2007 09:48 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Child Labor Laws Proudsadist 6 4,361 05-22-2017 01:58 PM
Last Post: James Comey
  "Child" labor LOON_ATTIC 52 21,780 05-22-2017 01:54 PM
Last Post: James Comey
  Teacher: Child Abuse in My Classroom SoulRiser 4 3,163 12-27-2013 04:52 PM
Last Post: xcriteria
  Would You Want Your Child In This Exquisitely-Managed Classroom? xcriteria 11 7,144 10-24-2013 12:28 PM
Last Post: magikarp
  When Child Abuse Hits Close To Home тωιѕтє∂ 11 6,462 07-05-2013 03:09 PM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Child Abuse Document-Education and Child Welfare Reptorian 0 1,645 07-19-2010 06:29 AM
Last Post: Reptorian
  Supreme Court Says Child’s Rights Violated by Strip Search returnal 9 3,873 06-28-2009 03:29 AM
Last Post: Amortisatie
  Child prostitution Number11 17 5,131 05-18-2009 06:12 AM
Last Post: NowhereWoman