RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's discuss school
Rastko Offline
Renegade

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)
Re: Let's discuss school

Absentinsomniac Wrote:^ Better yet, online lessons that don't require any video contact with teachers... That's what my friend does, and I'd rather do that...

Why don't you if you are able to?

@Lunatic - Lulz, homeschooling is a terribly bad idea. A sad minority of parents are not oppressive, so homeschooling could not be implemented universally or at majority.

"History will win. The world will be elevated to a better place. Will we survive? That depends on you." (Julian Assange - The Guardian, 3 December 2010)

"Every organization rests upon a mountain of secrets." (Julian Assange)

INFORMATION WANTS TO BE FREE.
JUSTICE IS IN YOUR HANDS NOW.
IT'S TIME TO OPEN THE ARCHIVES.
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING - SO ARE WE.
HATCHING TRUTH.
WE OPEN GOVERNMENTS.
ANONYMOUS SOURCES - SYNONYMOUS WITH FREE SPEECH.

"There are no educators. As a thinker, one should speak only of self-education. The education of youth by others is either an experiment, conducted on one as yet unknown and unknowable, or a leveling on principle, to make the new character, whatever it may be, conform to the habits and customs that prevail." (Friedrich Nietzsche)
02-08-2011 02:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

Rastko Wrote:
Absentinsomniac Wrote:^ Better yet, online lessons that don't require any video contact with teachers... That's what my friend does, and I'd rather do that...

Why don't you if you are able to?

My dad would never allow it, and I'm already a junior, so I can probably stick it out for another year and a half.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
02-08-2011 12:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Rastko Wrote:@Lunatic - Lulz, homeschooling is a terribly bad idea.
Shut your face, homeschooling is awesome. It allowed me to escape the hell of school for a couple of years.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
02-08-2011 01:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

^Agreed.

Although I kind of agree that some parents are fucking assholes and will teach their kids their own beliefs and won't expose them to anything but what they think...

Blog I post to now:

02-08-2011 01:18 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

I know it can be bad, but most parents can't compete with the indoctrination powers of school.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-08-2011 02:10 PM
Rastko Offline
Renegade

Prince Rilian Wrote:
Shut your face, homeschooling is awesome. It allowed me to escape the hell of school for a couple of years.

I didn't say schooling is better then homeschooling. I don't think so, I think schooling is far worse, but that does not make homeschooling anything good. It is still a terrible idea which gives parent all power. And it's not like it "can" be bad, there's hardly any case in which parent is not authoritarian GOP bastard from the Bible Belt.

"History will win. The world will be elevated to a better place. Will we survive? That depends on you." (Julian Assange - The Guardian, 3 December 2010)

HATCHING TRUTH.
WE OPEN GOVERNMENTS.

"There are no educators. As a thinker, one should speak only of self-education. The education of youth by others is either an experiment, conducted on one as yet unknown and unknowable, or a leveling on principle, to make the new character, whatever it may be, conform to the habits and customs that prevail." (Friedrich Nietzsche)
02-09-2011 02:16 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Rastko Wrote:
Prince Rilian Wrote:

I didn't say schooling is better then homeschooling. I don't think so, I think schooling is far worse, but that does not make homeschooling anything good. It is still a terrible idea which gives parent all power. And it's not like it "can" be bad, there's hardly any case in which parent is not authoritarian GOP bastard from the Bible Belt.
I just gave you an example tard. I was "homeschooled" for two years and my parents left me the fuck alone. Same with my brother who has been homeschooled for 7 years now.

I was in a homeschooling club a while ago, and those people, the other teenagers, were so much fucking nicer than the ones from public school, because their lives are better and they aren't angry all the time and lashing out at everyone around them. Half of them weren't religious, by the way, even though the parents were. Get that? Religious parents homeschooling their kids, and the kids quit the religion and became atheists or agnostics. Not everyone in the group but like half of them.

The only time homeschooling is bad is when the parents are more abusive than the school. That's rare. That takes a parent who beats you with a hammer or rapes you or starves you, and happily most parents do not do that shit.

I have these two cousins who are homeschooled by batshit christians. But they are happier and smarter (i.e., they can make better use of their brains) than kids who are public schooled or done to in any similar way (like a private school that's just like a typical public school).

For some people, school is better than home. That's not most people.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-09-2011 03:18 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

I'd say 90% of the time homeschooling > schooling.

Of course unschooling > homeschooling, but the thing with being homeschooled is, even if your parents are batshit crazy religious nutcases, at least you know your 'teachers' care about you. They actually care about your future, and your life, and not just some stupid test scores and their job.

Of course there are exceptions like those psychopathic types who beat their kids to death for not counting to 5 properly or some shit... but they're thankfully rare. Saying homeschooling in general is bad because of people like that, is like saying video games are bad because the Columbine killers played video games. The two are completely unrelated.

Psycho parents like that would probably find some other bullshit excuse to kill their kids even if they didn't homeschool them.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-09-2011 03:28 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

I was actually unschooled for those two years.

My brother isn't technically unschooled, but he has always been in charge of what books he uses, what he does with them, and what grades he gets at the end of each "class".

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-09-2011 12:58 PM
Rastko Offline
Renegade

Prince Rilian Wrote:I was actually unschooled for those two years.

My brother isn't technically unschooled, but he has always been in charge of what books he uses, what he does with them, and what grades he gets at the end of each "class".

Unschooling is somewhat better, but still it gives parent more rights then he or she is entitled to. I think Government shall give all citizens free internet access and regard it as basic human right and then enable virtual education for everyone.

HATCHING TRUTH.
WE OPEN GOVERNMENTS.

02-10-2011 02:00 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Rastko Wrote:
Prince Rilian Wrote:I was actually unschooled for those two years.

Unschooling is somewhat better,
What in the hell do you want? You hate school, don't you? Unschooling is the complete lack of school. It's not "somewhat better". It's THE best. It's 100% respectful.
Quote:but still it gives parent more rights then he or she is entitled to.
What the hell are you talking about? Unschooling does not give parents any more "rights" than the government-gang has already granted them otherwise.
Quote:I think Government shall give all citizens free internet access and regard it as basic human right and then enable virtual education for everyone.
You worship the government-gang? I can't imagine why else you capitalize its evil name.

The internet can be useful, for sure. But I think you have a warped idea of what education is. Education is not that shit that happens in school, nor any simulation of it. Real education is living in a community and learning to do things within it, and to add your own contribution. I recommend you read the book Homeschooling Our Children, Unschooling Ourselves by Alison McKee so that you can have a better understanding of what real learning/living is.

Here's the amazon page for it http://www.amazon.com/Homeschooling-Our ... 0965780627

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-10-2011 02:21 AM
Rastko Offline
Renegade

Calm down, dude. I am speaking from the US point of view. Of course that in the countries like Sweden, Finland, The Netherlands etc unschooling is a lot better option, but wait... USA? Country in which physically assaulting your child is legal in all 50 states? In which barbaric practice of "washing mouth with soap" and similar primitive rituals are encouraged? No way. It's more secure to be treated in Government-organized school, then in school in which someone may physically assault me. Yes, I know, corporal punishment in schools is also legal in over 20 US states, but I am also speaking from the point of view of someone living in New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and other unchurched liberal east coast states. Therefore, unschooling can be dangerous because of how many rights it gives to a parent. Easily, it can become even worse then schooling. Therefore, first Government shall take away "right" to abuse other individual and then we can talk about such stuff.

HATCHING TRUTH.
WE OPEN GOVERNMENTS.

02-10-2011 04:43 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

A parent who actually is willing to let a kid be unschooled isn't going to abuse them or do any of that crazy shit because they're too smart for that.

Some of those crazy types might homeschool their kids though.

Unschooling... homeschooling... 2 different things.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
02-10-2011 04:55 AM
Rastko Offline
Renegade

SoulRiser Wrote:A parent who actually is willing to let a kid be unschooled isn't going to abuse them or do any of that crazy shit because they're too smart for that.

Actually, only difference is that homeschooling is regulated by the Government, child is tested etc. while in unschooling there are no Government's regulations. That doesn't depend on a parent, but on the Government's policy.

HATCHING TRUTH.
WE OPEN GOVERNMENTS.

02-10-2011 05:35 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Rastko Wrote:
SoulRiser Wrote:A parent who actually is willing to let a kid be unschooled isn't going to abuse them or do any of that crazy shit because they're too smart for that.

Actually, only difference is that homeschooling is regulated by the Government, child is tested etc.
WRONG. Boy you sure are ignorant.

Ugh. I will come back later and make a post trying to explain this to you. Right now I'm still reeling from how badly confused you are.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-10-2011 06:19 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Rastko Wrote:Therefore, unschooling can be dangerous because of how many rights it gives to a parent.
Your parents could still beat you after school. I see what your concern is now, though. You're worried about the crazies who keep their kids locked in a closet, and since they are "homeschooling" them, no one ever sees the kid and no one ever figures out that anything is wrong.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-10-2011 06:22 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Prince Rilian Wrote:
Rastko Wrote:Therefore, unschooling can be dangerous because of how many rights it gives to a parent.
Your parents could still beat you after school. I see what your concern is now, though. You're worried about the crazies who keep their kids locked in a closet, and since they are "homeschooling" them, no one ever sees the kid and no one ever figures out that anything is wrong.

Of course, a crazy parent could do that either way... If they are that crazy, what's stopping them from just not sending their kids to school in the first place? There are ways around it even in countries that require public schooling.

Blog I post to now:

02-10-2011 06:25 AM
Rastko Offline
Renegade

Prince Rilian Wrote:

Well it is more likely that such a creature would beat a child while he or she studies. So such situations would be more frequent while homeschooling. And yes, parents could make tradition even longer by indoctrinating children that way. I don't say state schooling is not indoctrinating, but homeschooling could be far worse. So, it's still a huge danger.

HATCHING TRUTH.
WE OPEN GOVERNMENTS.

02-10-2011 06:25 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Ninja'd.

Blog I post to now:

02-10-2011 06:26 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Rastko Wrote:
Prince Rilian Wrote:

Well it is more likely that such a creature would beat a child while he or she studies. So such situations would be more frequent while homeschooling. And yes, parents could make tradition even longer by indoctrinating children that way. I don't say state schooling is not indoctrinating, but homeschooling could be far worse. So, it's still a huge danger.
I get the distinct impression you pull this shit out of your butt.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-10-2011 06:27 AM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Rastko Wrote:And it's not like it "can" be bad, there's hardly any case in which parent is not authoritarian GOP bastard from the Bible Belt.
That's not always true outside of the US, though. Most of the homeschoolers I know are either kind of hippies or their kids had a particularly hard time at school due to a learning disability or something.

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
02-10-2011 06:29 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

magikarp Wrote:
Rastko Wrote:And it's not like it "can" be bad, there's hardly any case in which parent is not authoritarian GOP bastard from the Bible Belt.
That's not always true

Fixed. I know lots of home schoolers who aren't religious in the least.

Blog I post to now:

02-10-2011 06:33 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

I think overall, homeschooling does more good than harm. The crazies will find ways to do their crazy shit regardless. It's not homeschooling's fault that they exist.

Hidden stuff:
02-10-2011 06:45 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

So.

Unschooling. It is a term coined by John Holt, meant to denote the idea of a complete lack of school. You're not doing school at home. You're not giving your kids lists to memorize and quizzing them. You're just living, and your kids are just living.

But there's a problem. The problem isn't with life, the problem is with this stupid gang sticking guns in your face and saying you've got to do such and such to your children. You're trying to respect your children, but the gang says you have to stick your genitals all over them and make them memorize plant names and how to put an equation in point-slope form.

That doesn't happen everywhere, but it happens in a lot of places. Like, in the farms in that area called "new england", the north-eastern part of the america-farm, the tendency is that you have to purchase a government-gang-sanctioned curriculum, and send in stupid worksheets to be graded. And if you try to respect your children (by not doing school at all, a.k.a unschooling), the government-gang will throw you in a cage and then rape your children.

Happily, in the farm called "texas", the gang isn't so crazy about that particular kind of rape. Homeschooling is considered by the farmers to be a kind of private school and therefore not subject to any kind of regulation or investigation. In texas, you don't have to fill out any forms, or make your kids take any tests. Unschooling, not doing school at all, is technically illegal, but, crucially, it is illegal for the government-gang to check up on you and make sure you're doing it. It's kinda weird, but I don't give a shit, I'm just glad I was able to not do school for a couple of years. Oklahoma is pretty much the same. I don't know the specifics, but there's no government body that goes around checking up on homeschooling families. In Arkansas, you're supposed to fill out a form and take a biannual test, but they don't come check to see that you are forcing your child to memorize shit or whatever, and they don't even really check up on the paperwork or testing, so you can just skip it. Also, the test doesn't matter anyway, they don't require you to "pass" it or anything, just take it. But like I said, they don't come after you if you miss the test.

So basically, homeschooling is the term the government-gang uses to refer to people who don't send their kids off to some kind of typical school building.

Unschooling is a complete lack of school, whether in a big prison-like building, or in your living-room. You just don't do it, anywhere or any time.

It's like, if the government-gang said parents have to send their kids off to these buildings to be beaten. But then they said, "Well, you can do the beating at home if you want." And some governments would check up to make sure you were beating them, but some of them wouldn't. And in the places that don't check up, you can just refrain from beating your kids at all, and you don't have to worry about getting in trouble with "the law". And you're saying that you don't like unbeating, because it gives the parents too much control. You'd rather have homebeating, where the government-gang checks up to make sure they are doing it.

See how fucking ridiculous that is?

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-10-2011 07:07 AM
Rastko Offline
Renegade

magikarp Wrote:
That's not always true outside of the US, though. Most of the homeschoolers I know are either kind of hippies or their kids had a particularly hard time at school due to a learning disability or something.

I highlighted & underlined numerous times that I am talking strictly about USA. Outside USA, especially in Europe, it can be a wonderful idea.

HATCHING TRUTH.
WE OPEN GOVERNMENTS.

02-10-2011 10:14 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Absentinsomniac Wrote:
magikarp Wrote:
That's not always true

Fixed. I know lots of home schoolers who aren't religious in the least.

I live in the U.S.

Blog I post to now:

02-10-2011 10:47 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Rastko Wrote:
magikarp Wrote:

I highlighted & underlined numerous times that I am talking strictly about USA. Outside USA, especially in Europe, it can be a wonderful idea.
So, what, are the people in usa, like, a different species or something? Why do you insist they are so different from the rest of humans?

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-10-2011 11:03 AM
 Thanks given by: The man
Leon Kinotolian Offline
Admincat

Given 11 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

Rastko Wrote:
Prince Rilian Wrote:I highlighted & underlined numerous times that I am talking strictly about USA. Outside USA, especially in Europe, it can be a wonderful idea.
So, what, are the people in usa, like, a different species or something? Why do you insist they are so different from the rest of humans?
I'd like to know the answer to this, too, being an American myself.

*Tentaclerape*
Hidden stuff:
The Desert Fox Wrote:
Rebelnerd Wrote:Avatar was an inside job.
For $9.11 I'll give you an inside job.
Raikuron Wrote:Okay. I fail. DISREGARD THAT EVERYONE, I SUCK COCKS!
BaronVonStrangle Wrote:fox you should take everything mystery says with a pinch of salt

and by pinch of salt i actually mean you need to build a fucking salt processing plant so you have enough salt to dispell the bullshit
02-10-2011 11:13 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

I guess you agree with this, since you haven't replied to it.

Prince Rilian Wrote:So.

Unschooling. It is a term coined by John Holt, meant to denote the idea of a complete lack of school. You're not doing school at home. You're not giving your kids lists to memorize and quizzing them. You're just living, and your kids are just living.

But there's a problem. The problem isn't with life, the problem is with this stupid gang sticking guns in your face and saying you've got to do such and such to your children. You're trying to respect your children, but the gang says you have to stick your genitals all over them and make them memorize plant names and how to put an equation in point-slope form.

That doesn't happen everywhere, but it happens in a lot of places. Like, in the farms in that area called "new england", the north-eastern part of the america-farm, the tendency is that you have to purchase a government-gang-sanctioned curriculum, and send in stupid worksheets to be graded. And if you try to respect your children (by not doing school at all, a.k.a unschooling), the government-gang will throw you in a cage and then rape your children.

Happily, in the farm called "texas", the gang isn't so crazy about that particular kind of rape. Homeschooling is considered by the farmers to be a kind of private school and therefore not subject to any kind of regulation or investigation. In texas, you don't have to fill out any forms, or make your kids take any tests. Unschooling, not doing school at all, is technically illegal, but, crucially, it is illegal for the government-gang to check up on you and make sure you're doing it. It's kinda weird, but I don't give a shit, I'm just glad I was able to not do school for a couple of years. Oklahoma is pretty much the same. I don't know the specifics, but there's no government body that goes around checking up on homeschooling families. In Arkansas, you're supposed to fill out a form and take a biannual test, but they don't come check to see that you are forcing your child to memorize shit or whatever, and they don't even really check up on the paperwork or testing, so you can just skip it. Also, the test doesn't matter anyway, they don't require you to "pass" it or anything, just take it. But like I said, they don't come after you if you miss the test.

So basically, homeschooling is the term the government-gang uses to refer to people who don't send their kids off to some kind of typical school building.

Unschooling is a complete lack of school, whether in a big prison-like building, or in your living-room. You just don't do it, anywhere or any time.

It's like, if the government-gang said parents have to send their kids off to these buildings to be beaten. But then they said, "Well, you can do the beating at home if you want." And some governments would check up to make sure you were beating them, but some of them wouldn't. And in the places that don't check up, you can just refrain from beating your kids at all, and you don't have to worry about getting in trouble with "the law". And you're saying that you don't like unbeating, because it gives the parents too much control. You'd rather have homebeating, where the government-gang checks up to make sure they are doing it.

See how fucking ridiculous that is?

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-11-2011 04:16 AM
Rastko Offline
Renegade

Of course I do, but USA is a sui generis. Most of those who oppose public schools are savages from the Bible Belt. I am sorry that you misunderstood me.

HATCHING TRUTH.
WE OPEN GOVERNMENTS.

02-12-2011 01:46 AM