RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MIT puts all courses online, free of charge
Doc Johnson Offline
Fanatic

Given 4 thank(s) in 2 post(s)
MIT puts all courses online, free of charge

Just saw this today.

Quote:MIT to put its entire curriculum online free of charge

W. David Gardner

On Tuesday, school officials revealed plans to make available the university's entire 1,800-course curriculum by year's end. Currently, some 1.5 million online independent learners log on the MIT OpenCourseWare (OCW) site every month and more than 120 universities around the world have inaugurated their own sites for independent learners. MIT has more than 1,500 course curriculums available online to date.

Who are MIT's independent learners? One MIT calculation found that 17% were educators elsewhere, 32% students everywhere, and 49% were self learners.

Source: http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showA...=198000598

All you can learn, for free. Just download the courses. Such a deal!

Go here to view the courses:

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.html

I got nothin'.
03-22-2007 05:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

That's kickass Yes

/goes to find the psychology section, only to discover it's all in mp3 format and is going to be a bitch to download over GPRS. Sad

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
03-22-2007 06:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Doc Johnson Offline
Fanatic

Given 4 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

^^Oh you poor thing. Time to move into the city.

I got nothin'.
03-22-2007 11:02 AM
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

YAY! Free Knowladge!
03-22-2007 11:09 AM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

You obviously need to go to the spelling/grammar section.
And the use too big a vocabulary for the titles. Where the fuck is art? Art art, not theatre art or music.

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
03-22-2007 12:58 PM
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

uughuuguhgugh... knowledge... *drools*

[Image: homerdroolingtu3.gif]
03-22-2007 01:25 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

[Image: catnl9.png]
03-22-2007 01:34 PM
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

I DEMAND MORE KITTEHHHS.
03-22-2007 01:38 PM
Dark Soul X Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Yay! Learn me!

Spambot Kill Counter: 33
Spambot Kill Counter as Spambot Hell's Devil: Countless

Buying a high powered computer: 500 bucks
Getting gift wrap: 10 bucks maybe
Seeing the horror on that special someone's face once they tear off the gift wrap and see a Windows 98: Priceless.

[Image: Spawn_Classic.jpg]

I'll see you in Hell....AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
03-22-2007 02:14 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

omg yous is alls a buhnch off reaturdses Nutter

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
03-23-2007 01:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

nooo! ur teh retardasaurus!
03-23-2007 02:22 AM
Dark Soul X Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:omg yous is alls a buhnch off reaturdses Nutter
noo, ur teh reeeitrdeeedssss!

auyifdnbyuregbuteghuyaegeagouthauyighteyuggsjght!

duy duy DUUUUUHH!

*Slams head against a wall...multiple times, and tastes the blood as it comes down my face*
mmm....taestes lieck hahp.

Spambot Kill Counter: 33
Spambot Kill Counter as Spambot Hell's Devil: Countless

Buying a high powered computer: 500 bucks
Getting gift wrap: 10 bucks maybe
Seeing the horror on that special someone's face once they tear off the gift wrap and see a Windows 98: Priceless.

[Image: Spawn_Classic.jpg]

I'll see you in Hell....AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
03-23-2007 02:02 PM
Unregistered

Here's a list of other universities that are part of the OpenCourseWare Consortium: http://www.ocwconsortium.org/use/index.html
03-24-2007 05:22 AM
Odin Offline
Renegade

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Re: MIT puts all courses online, free of charge

Doc Johnson Wrote:Just saw this today.

Quote:MIT to put its entire curriculum online free of charge

W. David Gardner

On Tuesday, school officials revealed plans to make available the university's entire 1,800-course curriculum by year's end. Currently, some 1.5 million online independent learners log on the MIT OpenCourseWare (OCW) site every month and more than 120 universities around the world have inaugurated their own sites for independent learners. MIT has more than 1,500 course curriculums available online to date.

Who are MIT's independent learners? One MIT calculation found that 17% were educators elsewhere, 32% students everywhere, and 49% were self learners.

Source: http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showA...=198000598

All you can learn, for free. Just download the courses. Such a deal!

Go here to view the courses:

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.html

That's all fine and dandy, but natural learning/unschooling is the best thing that happened since sliced bread Bored Sleep !
03-30-2007 05:33 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Shinzo Wrote:That's all fine and dandy, but natural learning/unschooling is the best thing that happened since sliced bread Bored Sleep !

I kinda think that existed before sliced bread, but anyway.... Wink

Hidden stuff:
03-31-2007 04:43 AM
Unregistered

Shinzo Wrote:That's all fine and dandy, but natural learning/unschooling is the best thing that happened since sliced bread Bored Sleep !

... do you know what unschooling is? It isn't a method it's a philosophy. You can unschool by going to university. You can unschool by going to a public school. Unschooling is just self directed learning. Basically a person learns based on what they want to learn and how they want to learn. I understand universities and public schools are undemocratic right now but in principle you can unschool there.
03-31-2007 08:19 AM
PIMP. Offline
Pariah

Given 8 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Lots of thing existed before sliced bread. e.g unsliced bread. But whoever it was that decided to get that knife and slice off that slice ... pure genius. I bet they didnt learn that in no evil school.

but seriously these online courses are they like the full course, or are they like a watered down version? and i went to that mit one, the downloads are full huge. What is like video or something?
04-04-2007 02:08 PM
Unregistered

The contents varies, likely dependent on the laziness factor of the professor. Some courses have a book list, questions, and a notes. Others have audio and video recordings of lectures.
04-05-2007 12:08 PM
PIMP. Offline
Pariah

do you reckon you could teach yourself how to do brain surgery?
04-05-2007 12:22 PM
Unregistered

Are you volunteering?
04-05-2007 12:35 PM
PIMP. Offline
Pariah

no! i was just wondering about all this talk of home schooling and self learning ... how far do you think you could take it? Whats the extreme you could go to as far as teaching yourself how to do shit.
04-05-2007 12:39 PM
Unregistered

I wouldn't claim that everything can be learned by oneself. Like I said in a previous post, "unschooling is just self directed learning." If you want to be a brain surgeon then you use that self direction to learn what you need to. It is extremely likely that you will go to medical school.

The limit to what can be self learned is dependent on how much you can practice practical skills. I can become a mathematician by reading books and practicing because all I need is a bunch of paper, a pencil, and a shitload of questions to do. I can't become a carpenter at home because I don't have a proper space to do carpentry. If I had a garage I could become handy with woodworking.
04-05-2007 12:48 PM
délivrance Offline
Renegade

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

the open course stuff is awesome, it's a shame that no one will employ you or recognize your skills until you spend $40k + in university to get some piece of paper.

sigh...
08-26-2007 03:59 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

STOP BUMPING

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
08-26-2007 09:42 PM
Unregistered

You have to remember that you are not getting the entire course for free. Books can be gotten for free or very cheaply but there still is the lack of a teacher. Teachers are very important in certain disciplines, as long as the person teaching you is good at it. For example, my social sciences teacher last year was completely useless. She didn't teach me anything beyond what I could have learnt by just reading through a textbook. She also kept on repeating completely false urban rumours such as the stretched "necks" of the Padaung.

darthmat Wrote:STOP BUMPING
Say that when your average post is more intelligent than the post you just replied to.
08-27-2007 11:08 AM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

i think that if you want somebody to talk with about a subject you should just do that, get a discussion group going. that is if you don't want a teacher.
08-27-2007 12:06 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Free Udemy Courses SoulRiser 2 3,854 11-16-2015 01:33 PM
Last Post: schoolsux
  So ... I'm looking for a free online open course in Equality and Diversity Trekkie_Aspie 8 5,691 10-08-2013 07:54 PM
Last Post: Trekkie_Aspie
  Free Georgia Online High School for Second Semester? Z3roDread 7 3,878 01-14-2010 08:19 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  MIT Lecture Notes, Exams and Videos to 1900+ Courses FREE Sunbourn 3 2,489 08-23-2009 01:05 AM
Last Post: IllusoryDeath
  Independent Study / Correspondence Courses Michio-kun 1 2,913 06-06-2008 08:11 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser