RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just a thought.
Lando Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Just a thought.

Heres my attempt at a idea. I can understand schools for the Needy,Poor,Abused etc, but how bout the kids that want to follow the paths that they love, may it be science, math, history or a little bit of everything. Lets have a Science center, a math center, History center, JUST SOME HUGE MASSIVE BUILDING, lol, but anyways you can go to the main part of the center, buy the textbook that they will go over that year, then you go into this big dome like thing, there are lots of teachers teaching groups of ppl, u can ask them any questions u want, and if you feel ur good and rdy to go, then go. or if you feel like stopping down at the history/math/science center and learn some of that stuff go ahead. No attendance, just people that want to be great in life studying what they want when they want. I know there are MANY Flaws in what i've just spouted out. But its just a thought right?
04-11-2007 12:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thoughtmaker Offline
Pariah

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

i've thought of something similiar. we should have a place which is just a free place to learn. it should be a place were minds come together to learn. share and expand on each others ideas, learn new things, experiment and just plain enjoy the process of learning that too many people have come to recognize as a punishment. i believe we would have a lot more people that are really good at what they want to do ( better doctors, scientists, writers, etc) if we had an educational facility like this today. of course i also think that it should be open to everyone and not only to the children.
04-11-2007 12:57 PM
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

Given 25 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

This is almost exactly like the school im going into next year. lol. Only its not that big, 500 kids max, and it has 3 times you can go: 8-12. 12:30-4:30, and 5-9. Diploma is completely optional, you can just study if you want, though there is some standardized testing thanks to state rules.
04-11-2007 10:31 PM
thoughtmaker Offline
Pariah

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

that sounds like a big improvement on what i've got. it is not the ideal school because of the testing you said and other restrictions it will probably have. sounds fun though, i would like to go there. the whole diploma is optional thing, sounds to me like it is just polite way of saying, do what you want, but if you don't get your diploma, you're fucked. i hope you enjoy it though and you get a little more freedom. Biggrin
04-12-2007 01:25 PM