RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Y SO SRS?
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)
Y SO SRS?

Legitamate question. I'm not trying to troll right now.

Why do most of the people here take these forums so seriously? Why does it bother you so much what an anonymous stranger on the other side of the damn country writes about you?

None of us will ever meet each other in real life. And few if any will ever solve thier problems via this site. So why don't we all relax and just have a good laugh at one anothers expense?Because It's just my humble opinion but if more people resorted to laughter and comedy the same way they resorted to drugs and alcohol the world would be a much better place.

And these forums would certainly be a more welcome place if people didn't get so butthurt over the smallest things.

Discuss
02-02-2011 02:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)
Re: Y SO SRS?

/b/ gets old.

While I agree that people shouldn't get butthurt over dumb shit like they do on this site, I don't agree that we should just sit around and crack jokes all of the time... I usually come to this site for interesting conversations and the occasional laugh, not a completely random free-for-all conversation were everyone just makes fun of eachother.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
02-02-2011 02:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

I like the current state of SS. There's a postmodernist air of decadence and faggotry in the air. Like Rome had when it fell and was buttraped by barbarians.

Feels good man <3

But seriously. In a way, I agree with Ayliana, despite her being the single most loathsome cunt on the face of the earth.

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
02-02-2011 02:38 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Just because someone's an anonymous stranger, it doesn't make them less of a human being. A lot of people do care what people think of them. Personally I don't give a shit, and I do agree it'd be cool if people didn't take life so srs and all that shit, but that doesn't just count for the internet, it counts for "real life" too... as far as I'm concerned, the internet is every bit "real life" as the rest of it. There's nothing fake about it. So it makes it easier for people to pretend to be someone else, so what? People do that in "real life" all the time too...

Laughter is good... as long as it's not at someone else's expense. If you know the person will laugh with you, fine... if not, then it's not cool.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-02-2011 03:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Desu Offline
Fanatic

Given 340 thank(s) in 182 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:Just because someone's an anonymous stranger, it doesn't make them less of a human being. A lot of people do care what people think of them. Personally I don't give a shit, and I do agree it'd be cool if people didn't take life so srs and all that shit, but that doesn't just count for the internet, it counts for "real life" too... as far as I'm concerned, the internet is every bit "real life" as the rest of it. There's nothing fake about it. So it makes it easier for people to pretend to be someone else, so what? People do that in "real life" all the time too...

Laughter is good... as long as it's not at someone else's expense. If you know the person will laugh with you, fine... if not, then it's not cool.

I always found it strange that people think the internet is just the internet and not RL. You are all real people are you not? Not only that, but people will share personal things, which begins to make their identity online as real as any other identity. If you respond with, "Then don't share your personal details online." Who are you to tell me that? "It will leave you open to random trolling/criticism." True, I wouldn't go to 4chan and start sharing personal details of my life, because that's the wrong place to do it.

This forum is at least in part, supposed to be for support (is that not a stated goal of the site somewhere). I should feel at least half-comfortable sharing certain things about myself without people poking fun at me and laughing me off the fucking board. Saying "Well don't share personal details online if you don't want to get laughed off the internet." in the context of THIS forum is just a way of covering your ass and a weak attempt to justify being a cunt or a dick.

Everyone may think night.artist is a retard, and maybe she is, but telling her to harm herself and making fun of cutting and suicide is lower than low when it seems obvious she's getting emotionally disturbed by it. Just because you think it's stupid, is inconsequential. How anyone can be this blind-sighted is unapparent to me.

People have killed themselves over myspace and other stupid shit before. Who says someone won't kill themselves over school-survival.net. If night.artist really practices self-harm, do you think it's amusing that maybe she sat in her bathroom one night and slashed her arm/leg just for you? Is that funny in any way?

RIP GORE GOROTH

He was an hero. He will always be remembered.
02-02-2011 04:11 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Desu Wrote:I always found it strange that people think the internet is just the internet and not RL.

I'm pretty sure you still have me on your ignore list, but I'm going to respond to this anyway.

The internet is nothing like real life. You can shut off the internet, you can unplug it, walk away from it and ignore it quite easily. I know because there was a time was being harrassed by so called friends in school. They were never able to harrass me online because I never gave them the chance. If they called me I blocked thier phone number. When they IM'ed me I blocked thier account then finally stoped using the service all together. I didn't even read thier e-mails. If there was an electronic medium of communication that those catty little ho's could've used to get to me, I cut it off.

That is the benefit of the internet. If you don't like what people are saying, then you can turn if off and go find something else to do.You can't do that in real life. Walking away from conflict in the real world will only get you so far. Eventually you will have no choice but to confront it.

That said, people who kill themselves over words on the internet are a special breed of stupid. And while I will never tell someone to go and off themselves (not even NA) I refuse to walk on eggshells just to make sure they don't go off and do something stupid. That's not my problem.

And in the case of night.artist, this isn't even the issue. Whether people are nice to her or not she reacts the same way. She bitches when we give her legitamate advice, then she cries when we all become fed up and make fun of her. No one can win with her.
02-02-2011 04:30 AM
Desu Offline
Fanatic

As a reminder, I cannot view your posts because I have you on ignore. So sorry if you spent the time responding directly to me.

RIP GORE GOROTH

02-02-2011 04:36 AM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

Desu Wrote:As a reminder, I cannot view your posts because I have you on ignore.
Protip: Click the "click here to view this post" button.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
02-02-2011 04:38 AM
Desu Offline
Fanatic

The Desert Fox Wrote:
Desu Wrote:As a reminder, I cannot view your posts because I have you on ignore.
Protip: Click the "click here to view this post" button.

I have her on ignore because I don't want to read her posts. I was just reminding her I can't view her posts in case she spent the time responding to me and expected an answer.

RIP GORE GOROTH

02-02-2011 04:43 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Desu Wrote:I have her on ignore because I don't want to read her posts. I was just reminding her I can't view her posts in case she spent the time responding to me and expected an answer.

....Then why the fuck would you comment in one of my threads?

I really don't care if he can read this or not. I just think it's retarded that he would do that.
02-02-2011 04:46 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:....Then why the fuck would you comment in one of my threads?

I really don't care if he can read this or not. I just think it's retarded that he would do that.
He was actually responding to my comment.

I find this response kind of lulzy in light of what you said previously, about how the internet is different because you can ignore people you don't want to hear from more easily.

You can actually ignore people in real life too. It's called walking away. Doesn't work so well in school or prison though. But most everywhere else it's at least possible. So they're not that different. The internet just makes it a bit easier.

But ultimately each person making a comment somewhere is a real person, even if they're not exactly the same as their 'online persona'. Spambots don't count obviously. Razz

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
02-02-2011 08:01 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Ayliana Wrote:Legitamate question. I'm not trying to troll right now.

Why do most of the people here take these forums so seriously? Why does it bother you so much what an anonymous stranger on the other side of the damn country writes about you?

None of us will ever meet each other in real life. And few if any will ever solve thier problems via this site. So why don't we all relax and just have a good laugh at one anothers expense?Because It's just my humble opinion but if more people resorted to laughter and comedy the same way they resorted to drugs and alcohol the world would be a much better place.

And these forums would certainly be a more welcome place if people didn't get so butthurt over the smallest things.

Discuss

Seems like you've been reading alot of Derchins posts.

I gotta say Amen to this.
Sure this is a support site and people can give advice but in the end people have to take reign of their own problems themselves.
We need to learn to laugh a little about things as it takes more muscles to frown than to smile
Still people sometimes take things to seriously and I have to agree we can treat each other like people and have a degree of respect but that doesn't mean we have to put on some face and smother what we truly feel(aka for the way night is acting).

Also protip Aya you might want to put Desu on your ignore list.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
02-02-2011 08:06 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

HeartofShadows Wrote:Also protip Aya you might want to put Desu on your ignore list.

nah, I'm not that type of person. I've always seen putting someone on the ignore or blocked list as a bitch move. I've only considered it once, and that was on my blog.
02-02-2011 08:14 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Ah good point.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
02-02-2011 08:17 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:You can shut off the internet, you can unplug it, walk away from it and ignore it quite easily. I know because there was a time was being harrassed by so called friends in school. They were never able to harrass me online because I never gave them the chance. If they called me I blocked thier phone number. When they IM'ed me I blocked thier account then finally stoped using the service all together. I didn't even read thier e-mails. If there was an electronic medium of communication that those catty little ho's could've used to get to me, I cut it off.

Quote:nah, I'm not that type of person. I've always seen putting someone on the ignore or blocked list as a bitch move. I've only considered it once, and that was on my blog.

Wait what? So you'd only turn off the entire internet as opposed to blocking one person?

Hidden stuff:
02-02-2011 08:37 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

SoulRiser Wrote:Wait what? So you'd only turn off the entire internet as opposed to blocking one person?

If it got to the point where I couldn't handle the pressure yes, I would pull the plug and go do something else for a few days. Blocking someone from your account does not mean you're rid of them. If they're persistant they can still go out and create multiple accounts to harrass you on, like those girls tried to do to me in highschool.

But as far as this place is concerned, I'm not bothered by anything that is said here. So why should I block a user that happened to insult me?
02-02-2011 08:41 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

Ayliana Wrote:Legitamate question. I'm not trying to troll right now.

Discuss
What you do on the internet can effect you IRL. People can steal your information and bankrupt you. They can call the cops on you. It is in fact real life, something people tend to forget. What you do online can have it's repercussions.
02-02-2011 08:48 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Thought Criminal Wrote:What you do online can have it's repercussions.

True but if you avoid going online then you won't have to face those repercussions now would you?

The internet is opional. Real life isn't. That is the difference between the two.
02-02-2011 08:52 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

Yes but the internet is quickly becoming an unavoidable fact of life. Everything is on the internet now.
02-02-2011 09:15 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:If it got to the point where I couldn't handle the pressure yes, I would pull the plug and go do something else for a few days. Blocking someone from your account does not mean you're rid of them. If they're persistant they can still go out and create multiple accounts to harrass you on, like those girls tried to do to me in highschool.
Good point, same reason we don't bother banning people here.

Still, you don't have to disable the entire internets to avoid certain people online.

Also, this:
http://info.soulriser.com/the-internet-vs-real-life/

Hidden stuff:
02-02-2011 09:25 AM