RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ranting and Raving.
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 17 post(s)
Ranting and Raving.

Some rants I posted on another forum that I feel like sharing with ya'll.

*Now, I think the grading system is also stupid and pointless.

Pointless because you can just do the minimum required and still pass. You still won't have enough time to do what you want, seeing how school wastes so much damned time, but still.

And stupid because they grade you based on how much work you do correctly. Their work is based on crap you're probably never going to use again EVER.

In fact, here's a math question for ya.

Question: What is a the difference between a one sided, and double sided worksheet?

Answer:The double sided one is a complete waste of paper!

Now, you've probably learned more than you'll learn in a 6 hour day of school, provided you where paying complete attention the whole time.

There is also an insane amount of pressure involved with grades, because if you don't get good enough grades, you have to go to school over the summer, or spend the next year doing the SAME SHIT ALL OVER AGAIN.

The also think they can determine your intelligence based on grades.

BULLSHIT.

The idea that people who don't even know me can accurately tell you how smart I am is bad enough, but basing that on how much random trivia I can remember?

Grades don't determine intelligence, in fact they don't determine ANYTHING. Hell, they might as well grade you based on how long you spend in the toilet. Then they would literally be judging you based on crap.

*School=Pointless.

I spend Gym just sitting for 90 minutes. Yet, I can't even go to the bathroom, cuz I'd be "unsupervised." What a load of BS.

Every time I think about the fact that I had to waste the last 11 years of my life for stupid crap like this it makes me sick.

I mean, no wonder some people in other countries say "Americans are stupid." Look at our education(if you can call it that) system!

The government forces all the kids to be in a freaking prison at only 5 years old, keept hem there for 14 years, AND force them into a horrible situation where they have to either memorize pointless crap, or be scorned by their parents, and generally treated like a piece of crap.

Not to mention that by the time you're done with Elementary school, you've pretty much learned everything they give you that's actually WORTH learning.

It's sickening.
04-23-2007 11:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Given 37 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

I completely agree. Makes me want to just quit. Maybe just stop going to school. Or go just to see friends and not do any work.
04-23-2007 12:32 PM
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

Eidolon Wrote:I completely agree. Makes me want to just quit. Maybe just stop going to school. Or go just to see friends and not do any work.

Me too. It makes me even more angry that people think this stupid system works.
04-23-2007 12:42 PM
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

People (well, most parents and most adults) just need a place that..

1. Wastes Teenageers lives
2. Brainwashes teens while preparing them for more
3. Instilling a hate of education and sometimes knowladge in general.
4. Keeps teens in one place.

:/
04-23-2007 12:45 PM
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

What really bothers me is that it all ends up to be a piece of paper saying I'm "smart."

It's intended to prepare us for the real world, but there's no reason it has to take 12 years.

I think the best way to learn is by doing it, not by being told. The whole thing is just moronic. If they really want us to learn, they should have us do something instead of sitting in a room hoping to get something useful out of it. Probably the only classes I have genuinely learned anything in were the practical ones, like carpentry or programming.

In trying to get us to learn, they make us not want to. If we had a choice of what to learn, and how to learn it, we would be so much more willing.

I hate how we are made to think that passing high school is the only way to get a job. Eat or die.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Schools seem to have forgotten this. We may be forced to be in school, but we don't have to listen to them.

We could flee, but what would it achieve? Soon we've got the pigs all over us. We can run, but we can't hide. Eventually we would be caught. There's no escaping it. The long arm of the law has a tight grip. Multiple times I thought about running away and living in the woods somewhere, but I realized I would be caught and sent to some institution. Which reminds me:

School is a correctional facility. All of our creativity, all of our individuality, our differences: all snuffed out. We become one body. One menace that must be suppressed. A menace we call teenagers. These are supposed to be the best years of our life, yet as soon as school kicks in, they seem to be by far the worst. The similarities between a school and a prison are astounding. Eat when you're told, then go back to your cell. We can't leave, or the sentence worsens. Step out of line for even a moment, and the consequences come down on you like a sledgehammer to an empty soda can. We are doomed. The school board decides your fate. But the truth is none of it will matter when none of us are matter. So, huck it. I refuse to let somebody that society has decided is certified live my life for me.
04-23-2007 01:21 PM
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

I think many people here exaggerate what is wrong about school, but Eidolon you said something that I cannot but agree with: school is a correctional facility. That is the most elegant analysis of school I have seen. If you stay within certain boundaries of thought and action then schools will leave you be. But if you reject their programming, schools will try to correct you. Even before any rebellion starts children are taught allegiance to authority and rules.

Two things bug me most about school: the marks and the teachers. I have no problem with putting a quantitative grade on something that that has only one right answer, i.e. mathematics. Qualitative judgments are different. I may have a good essay, but how exactly do you figure out that I got exactly 87%? Point out mistakes and areas of improvement but do not say that my essay is better than another because I got 1% higher than someone else. There is also the problem that marks are given far too much importance. What is a mark? A mark for a single thing is the result of a short period of time. A final mark is the result of the combination of unconnected periods of time. Neither can give a true measure of ability because neither measure ability at all times only certain periods.

Teachers are generally knowledgeable but they aren't perfect. I have heard many things said by teachers that are incredibly false or stupid. For example, my civics teacher said that the next wars will be fought over water. I'd heard it before but hearing him say it made my head almost explode.

Teachers also bug me a lot because, like all people, they are not wise or intelligent enough to rule another person yet they are given a range of powers that has horrified me in some circumstances I personally have seen or been part of. I have three examples. The first really bad teacher I encountered was when I lived in Toronto. He was a French teacher and gave detentions almost everyday. One day I got a detention for talking and he made me stand against the chalkboard with my hands over my head for like ten minutes. I was about ten at the time. Needless to say, he was fired after students' parents started complaining. The second bad teacher I have had was my computer teacher in grade seven. I've already complained about him so I'll summarize: he liked to yell at people, especially me. The third bad teacher I have encountered taught at my high school. He also liked to yell at people.

I say the powers of teachers horrifies me because they get away with so much shit. Teachers can physically abuse students (corporal punishment), mentally abuse students (yelling and insulting), and detain students for no reason (detention). What disturbs me is that because students, including myself, are taught to obey authority they submit to these things. I have never been hit by a teacher but I know that before grade ten I would have let it happen solely because I have been taught that the State, adults, and teachers are the masters of children and myself. But now, if a teacher tried to hit me I would have no regrets about kicking their face in.
04-23-2007 02:07 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

Eidolon Wrote:What really bothers me is that it all ends up to be a piece of paper saying I'm "smart."

It's intended to prepare us for the real world, but there's no reason it has to take 12 years.

I think the best way to learn is by doing it, not by being told. The whole thing is just moronic. If they really want us to learn, they should have us do something instead of sitting in a room hoping to get something useful out of it. Probably the only classes I have genuinely learned anything in were the practical ones, like carpentry or programming.

In trying to get us to learn, they make us not want to. If we had a choice of what to learn, and how to learn it, we would be so much more willing.

I hate how we are made to think that passing high school is the only way to get a job. Eat or die.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Schools seem to have forgotten this. We may be forced to be in school, but we don't have to listen to them.

We could flee, but what would it achieve? Soon we've got the pigs all over us. We can run, but we can't hide. Eventually we would be caught. There's no escaping it. The long arm of the law has a tight grip. Multiple times I thought about running away and living in the woods somewhere, but I realized I would be caught and sent to some institution. Which reminds me:

School is a correctional facility. All of our creativity, all of our individuality, our differences: all snuffed out. We become one body. One menace that must be suppressed. A menace we call teenagers. These are supposed to be the best years of our life, yet as soon as school kicks in, they seem to be by far the worst. The similarities between a school and a prison are astounding. Eat when you're told, then go back to your cell. We can't leave, or the sentence worsens. Step out of line for even a moment, and the consequences come down on you like a sledgehammer to an empty soda can. We are doomed. The school board decides your fate. But the truth is none of it will matter when none of us are matter. So, huck it. I refuse to let somebody that society has decided is certified live my life for me.

A diploma is a pathetic reward for putting up with school for 12 years.

I'd say they treat us like prisoners, or even animals, but even prisoners and animals have rights. Students can't even go to the bathroom without permission.

And they treat you like garbage if you don't obey them. Not only the school officials, but other students, and your own parents mock you. they say those grades show intelligence, and worth, so you get called an lazy idiot, that you'll never amount to anything, because you can't remember some useless math equation.

There is NO good reason for keeping school the way it is today. Schools don't teach anything, except how stupid and cruel people can be. The real purpose is to crush children's spirits so they become good little employees, who shut up and accept what ever crappy situation they're given.

Every notice how when you complain about school, everyone tries to bring you down, saying it's not that bad, and to get over it, the world isn't fair?

Well, the world may not be fair, but it'd be a hell of a lot better if people would DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

Remember, You're not powerless, no matter what school implies. If people continue to let them let them take children's individuality and passion from them, who knows what they take next?
04-23-2007 02:13 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Re: Ranting and Raving.

Cosbydaf Wrote:Grades don't determine intelligence, in fact they don't determine ANYTHING. Hell, they might as well grade you based on how long you spend in the toilet. Then they would literally be judging you based on crap.

Laugh

I'm so gonna add that to the quotes collection Yes

For a topic called "Ranting and Raving", there's a lot of intelligent stuff here.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
04-24-2007 01:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Kirby Wrote:I think many people here exaggerate what is wrong about school, but Eidolon you said something that I cannot but agree with: school is a correctional facility. That is the most elegant analysis of school I have seen. If you stay within certain boundaries of thought and action then schools will leave you be. But if you reject their programming, schools will try to correct you. Even before any rebellion starts children are taught allegiance to authority and rules.

You're too kind. And yes, we exaggerate. But it's only our own little form of propaganda, isn't it?
04-24-2007 09:04 AM
Unregistered

Propaganda is just any media that tries to persuade someone to think something. It's OK if it's true.
04-24-2007 10:18 AM
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

Kirby Wrote:Propaganda is just any media that tries to persuade someone to think something. It's OK if it's true.

My Nazi Principalsaid that censorship is denying somthing exists......

04-24-2007 10:19 AM
Unregistered

...OK?
04-24-2007 10:23 AM
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

It's an ignorant statement. -_-
04-24-2007 10:24 AM
Unregistered

I guess it could be true. Censorship is denying the existence of something. If by denying you mean in an active sense of stopping existence.

But he probably didn't mean that.
04-24-2007 10:27 AM
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

Kirby Wrote:I guess it could be true. Censorship is denying the existence of something. If by denying you mean in an active sense of stopping existence.

But he probably didn't mean that.

Yea, I guess it's right now that you mention it. TV shows censor crap to make it seem that it isn't there. But, if it's censored, then people obviously know it's not acceptable in the social norm, right?
04-24-2007 10:28 AM
Dark Soul X Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

I have to totally agree with Cosbydaf. Bad thing was, I was forced into Hell at four years old. With all the torment I've suffered, I'll never be as happy (before I went to school) again...

Spambot Kill Counter: 33
Spambot Kill Counter as Spambot Hell's Devil: Countless

Buying a high powered computer: 500 bucks
Getting gift wrap: 10 bucks maybe
Seeing the horror on that special someone's face once they tear off the gift wrap and see a Windows 98: Priceless.

[Image: Spawn_Classic.jpg]

I'll see you in Hell....AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
04-24-2007 12:46 PM
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

Dark Soul X Wrote:I have to totally agree with Cosbydaf. Bad thing was, I was forced into Hell at four years old. With all the torment I've suffered, I'll never be as happy (before I went to school) again...

Five year old kids should never be forced into something like school. They don't have the ability to handle it. Being in school at such an early age makes scars that NEVER heal. I've had to suppress almost all of my memories of Elementary School.

And I almost killed myself during Middle School. Those had to be the worst 3 years of my life.
04-24-2007 01:01 PM
Dark Soul X Offline
Fanatic

Cosbydaf Wrote:
Dark Soul X Wrote:I have to totally agree with Cosbydaf. Bad thing was, I was forced into Hell at four years old. With all the torment I've suffered, I'll never be as happy (before I went to school) again...

Five year old kids should never be forced into something like school. They don't have the ability to handle it. Being in school at such an early age makes scars that NEVER heal. I've had to suppress almost all of my memories of Elementary School.

And I almost killed myself during Middle School. Those had to be the worst 3 years of my life.
I almost killed myself in Elementary. FUCKING ELEMENTARY!

Seeing the horror on that special someone's face once they tear off the gift wrap and see a Windows 98: Priceless.

04-24-2007 01:02 PM
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

Dark Soul X Wrote:
Cosbydaf Wrote:

Sheesh. I remember almost every day when I was 4th grade I kept hoping someone would bomb the place.
04-24-2007 01:08 PM
Dark Soul X Offline
Fanatic

Cosbydaf Wrote:
Dark Soul X Wrote:
Cosbydaf Wrote:

Sheesh. I remember almost every day when I was 4th grade I kept hoping someone would bomb the place.
Same here. In the 6th grade, I was hoping that zombies would come and eat everyone that I didn't like.

04-24-2007 01:09 PM
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

Dark Soul X Wrote:
Cosbydaf Wrote:
Dark Soul X Wrote:
Cosbydaf Wrote:

Same here. In the 6th grade, I was hoping that zombies would come and eat everyone that I didn't like.

I always had nightmare about zombies. Like seriously fucked up nightmares.

And about Middle School. I was at the brink of my sanity with the place. Mostly because the people NEVER STOPPED TALKING. EVER. You just wanted to jam a fork in your ear!

It doesn't sound that bad, but let me tell you, having to deal with that much noise for that long will make you homicidal.
04-24-2007 01:13 PM
Dark Soul X Offline
Fanatic

Cosbydaf Wrote:
Dark Soul X Wrote:
Cosbydaf Wrote:
Dark Soul X Wrote:
Cosbydaf Wrote:

I always had nightmare about zombies. Like seriously fucked up nightmares.

And about Middle School. I was at the brink of my sanity with the place. Mostly because the people NEVER STOPPED TALKING. EVER. You just wanted to jam a fork in your ear!

It doesn't sound that bad, but let me tell you, having to deal with that much noise for that long will make you homicidal.
I'm getting there.

04-24-2007 01:19 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Cosbydaf Wrote:Five year old kids should never be forced into something like school. They don't have the ability to handle it. Being in school at such an early age makes scars that NEVER heal. I've had to suppress almost all of my memories of Elementary School.

I still remember my first day of pre-school (US people call it kindergarten). I was hiding under the table in the dining room at home, crying and screaming that I didn't wanna go Laugh

I think I was 4 at the time. Or 5. I'm not sure...

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
04-25-2007 12:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

SoulRiser Wrote:
Cosbydaf Wrote:Five year old kids should never be forced into something like school. They don't have the ability to handle it. Being in school at such an early age makes scars that NEVER heal. I've had to suppress almost all of my memories of Elementary School.

I still remember my first day of pre-school (US people call it kindergarten). I was hiding under the table in the dining room at home, crying and screaming that I didn't wanna go Laugh

That's terrible. Only thing is, I went to preschool AND kindergarten.
04-25-2007 06:17 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Eidolon Wrote:That's terrible. Only thing is, I went to preschool AND kindergarten.

I always thought they were 2 different words for the same thing...

Hidden stuff:
04-25-2007 08:47 AM
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

SoulRiser Wrote:
Eidolon Wrote:That's terrible. Only thing is, I went to preschool AND kindergarten.

Not in the Twin Cities Biggrin
04-25-2007 08:51 AM
Dark Soul X Offline
Fanatic

SoulRiser Wrote:

Never worked for me.

04-26-2007 11:17 AM
Unregistered

SoulRiser Wrote:

Where I live you got your pre-school, then your junior and senior kindergarten, then your 1-12. Only 1-12 compulsory.
04-26-2007 01:21 PM
Psionicsavior Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

*waves hi to the rest of SS.net because I came back from the LD4all forums for a visit*

The only thing worse than a behaviour correction facility is a behaviour correction facility that is
A. Compulsory
B. Believed to be necessary by 99.9% of the population
C. Government-Funded
D. Can micromanage you down to when you can take a crap
E. Socially conditions people starting at the age of five to never question authority and become an obedient superorganism.

Omg God damn that is the biggest outrage to the planet since WWII!

I had nothing to say
And I get lost in the nothingness inside of me
And I let it all out to find
That I'm not the only person with these things in mind
~Breaking the Habit~
04-28-2007 10:39 AM
Dark Soul X Offline
Fanatic

Psionicsavior Wrote:*waves hi to the rest of SS.net because I came back from the LD4all forums for a visit*

The only thing worse than a behaviour correction facility is a behaviour correction facility that is
A. Compulsory
B. Believed to be necessary by 99.9% of the population
C. Government-Funded
D. Can micromanage you down to when you can take a crap
E. Socially conditions people starting at the age of five to never question authority and become an obedient superorganism.

Omg God damn that is the biggest outrage to the planet since WWII!
You forgot

F. Bases your intelligence by grades.

04-28-2007 12:49 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Ranting on Tumblr with Arrogant People... Estelle 36 9,718 01-29-2014 09:05 AM
Last Post: Lime
  Some ranting Dirtbikemike 6 3,379 05-18-2012 03:03 PM
Last Post: ExpiredDough
  Ranting...and a few questions. aCol 5 1,881 02-16-2012 09:48 AM
Last Post: aCol
  ranting about school nanda 1 1,681 01-04-2012 03:45 PM
Last Post: Stadium
  me ranting about college and sucky job qualifications Prince Rilian 8 2,774 02-03-2011 03:22 PM
Last Post: Prince Rilian
  Ranting, plans, and thoughts Ramzinator 4 1,905 04-02-2009 04:52 PM
Last Post: Ramzinator
  Ranting about my math teacher. Hanny's Old Account 23 4,518 02-05-2008 08:20 PM
Last Post: brontosaurusrox